Park Slope ComputersScammed

I took my computer in to get fixed in Nov of 2008 to Park Slope Computers. The issue I had was that I was not able to connect to a network due to a problem with a network switch on the outside of the computer. Everything else on the computer was 100% functional. I chose Park Slope computers because it was located in my neighborhood. I figured I would drop it off to get an estimate to see how much it would cost to repair. When I dropped off the computer and explained the situation I was told that It would be looked at and that I would be receiving a call within a few days. I was given a blue repair ticket. That of which just identifies me as the owner of that specific computer and that was that. A week later and no call. I called to find out the status. I was told that the switch that was broken is connected to the mother board and that when the computer was opened and being inspected the mother board was somehow "shorted out". So due to the carelessness of Park Slope computers I was now looking at two repairs for they would not repair what they had broken and told me it would cost $400 to fix the mother board. So basically I took in my computer to get even more damaged so that I could pay them to fix what they broke... I couldn't believe it! After many conversations I was told that the switch was connected to the mother board and therefor the mother board was considered broken as well but my computer worked when I brought it in. After they "inspected for estimate" it, nothing happened when you turned it on. I was not about to pay this Jerk $400 to fix what he broke and refused to continue business with him. I took it elsewhere to get fixed and it was $379.31 to fix what Park Slope broke. I contacted the better business bureau and they tried for months to resolve. Nothing was resolved. I am now dealing with the NYC department of consumer affairs. They are asking me to send out all these documents I don't have. The only thing that was given to me was the blue ticket which I returned when I picked up my completely non functional computer. I'm at wits end and I need some help. I can't let this guy get away with this! I also have the receipt from the repair shop that I took it to after this guy scammed me.

• Pa
    Park Slope Computers Oct 20, 2009

The New York Better Business Bureau marked this case as "Administratively Closed". Please see the link and definition below...

ADMINISTRATIVELY CLOSED
    The BBB determined the company made a good faith and reasonable effort to resolve the issues, although the complainant was not always satisfied with the outcome.

jonla17 Feb 26, 2011

Very bad customer service, possibly a scam. I took my desktop in to confirm that my PSU had been blown (didn't have a multimeter on hand to confirm myself). I could have easily done the repair myself in about 5 minutes, but I was told it could be fixed in an hour or so and the price was not extremely unreasonable. I got a call later that day that they had to order the part, but it would be in the next morning. That was the last call I got from them.

I have called every day since then and have been told it would be finished by the end of the day and that someone would call me back. I have not received any call backs. Today, I called a second time after I did not receive a call from them. They told me that it would be fixed by the end of the day and that they were going to stay open late so that I could pick it up. When I got there, the store was locked up (about 5 minutes before the scheduled close) and the person there refused to even come to the door so I could try to explain the situation.

At this point, I am concerned that they have taken my computer. I am planning to go back on Monday and try to get it back; I am certain it won't be fixed, but at this point not having my things stolen is the best result I can hope for in my interaction with this company. I will update this review if and when I get it back.

I would still not recommend this company to anyone. Replacing a PSU is something that could be done in 5-10 minutes by just about anyone. At the best, the company has been totally dishonest and has all around terrible service.

jonla17 Feb 27, 2011

Update: The technician (person I dealt with initially) followed up with me to explain the reason for the delay and offered to do the repair at the cost of the parts. I declined and ordered the part to fix myself, but he seemed like an honest person that was too busy to deal with everything. I am sure he would have fixed it eventually.

Overall, if you need something fixed in a timely manner, then you should look elsewhere. Additionally, try to deal directly with the technician as he seems like a very decent person, but the same can't be said of other employees.

Note: was unable to edit initial complain, but would have withdrawn.

• Do
    Don Furey Jun 02, 2011

HORRENDOUS is the only was to describe Ed and Park Slope Computers. I took my old Gateway computer to Ed because it had stopped working and I had documents in it I needed very badly. After a week or so Ed said he has retrieved the documents but the computer was beyond repair. I was so grateful I purchased a refurbished Dell from Ed. He took the documents from the Gateway and put them in the Dell. I paid him for his service and the computer.
    Three months later I awoke to a blue screen. I took the computer to Ed after a week or so he said he had found the problem and fixed it. I picked up the computer and he said no charge since it was within 6 months of the purchase. The next day I hooked the computer up and found my documents were gone. I took the computer back to Ed and after a week or more of his ducking my calls he finally answered. He said the documents are gone forever. He said that the computer did it. He went on to try to explain but kept blaming the computer. He said he was sorry and I could pick the computer up anytime. All I could think of is what a BUFFOON Ed is and he should never be in business..what a disgrace he is..