Panera Bread / management

1 West Caldwell, NJ, United States Review updated:

Saturday, March 9, 2019
I recently had a very unpleasant experience at Panera in West Caldwell, NJ, one that I have been coming to for the last 10 years. I arrived at about 4:30. Set my things down, went up to order and returned to table # 8. I always order food and/or a beverage, while grading papers and lesson planning. I am very patient. But I cannot tolerate rude behavior by those who should know better. I will not stand around and remain indifferent especially when a person's integrity is at stake (a sleeping man, who is a frequent customer, is a bit disheveled in appearance and so he was being taken advantage of in this case) Two of your location managers did nothing.

I first complained to one manager who was on her break. She was a young black woman in her late 20s who I've seen before at the restaurant, telling her first that someone was "flat out" sleeping in one of the booths. Then I told her two drunk guys sitting at tables 12/13(speaking of the bar hop they just returned from) were mocking and yelling at the sleeping man. When I walked away from telling the first manager, she told another manager (a tall white man in his 30s who I've also seen there before) who went back to working and never came over to me or to the area. The cursing got louder and the embarrassment I felt this poor man, got worse. I could not sit and let it continue. I approached the male manager and confronted him as to why he never addressed the issue that I had reported. He said dismissively, "I'm watching." I'm sorry, but that is condescending and unhelpful in a situation like this. With toddlers around, families and this poor man being subject to this behavior, it had to stop. I asked the two boys to leave and told them their behavior was reprehensible. I am really upset about the situation start to finish.

A woman at the next table said to me when I returned to my seat, "That is privilege and entitlement at work. Such a shame. I was very close to saying something too."

Well the truth of the matter is---I did and no one else did, especially your managers.

Su
Mar 9, 2019

Comments

• Su
      9th of Mar, 2019

LIke I said I am a teacher. I have boycotted Panera Bread. I told my students that they also have to boycott Panera Bread. I toldt that if I saw or heard any of them dining at Panera Bread that they would get a failing grade and detention. I told them to get their parents to boycott the restaurant as well. So not only you lost my business but the business of 20 students as well. I told them that if their parents took them to Panera Bread that I would report them for child abuse and exposing their children to this type of environment and have them removed from their homes.

16th of Mar, 2019

@Suzanne EIizabeth S I highly doubt the actions of one insane teacher and 20 storm troopers (!) will harm this company.

Really? You know you are 'teaching' these kids not to think for themselves, right? You still to their shoes for them??

You can not give them detention for what you catch them doing off school property and in their own time and you sure as hell can't fail them!!! That is so unethical this makes me sick. You should be jailed. Whomever hired you, gave you your teaching certificate, gave you tenure should be shot in the groin and head.

You realize that you catching them breaking your law is essentially you breaking your own law. Behold:. The logic of a teenager! How can you uphold your law of b not going there when they l only way you can catch them breaking your law is TO go there?

You mo5on.

• Fi
      16th of Mar, 2019

@Um is not an answer! This reminds me of a Full House episode where DJ does not want to go to a "geeky"restaurant because she fears her classmates will be there and laugh at her for eating at a "geeky" family restaurant. Danny tells her that if her friend dine there they will be just as "geeky"so it makes no difference. Then she meats her classmates there and they went there only to laugh at the Geeks that dined there.

• Fi
      16th of Mar, 2019

@Suzanne EIizabeth S They are not going to remove the children from their homes because they dined at a certain restaurant. If the manager is on break she is not required to do anything.

16th of Mar, 2019

@First Born Triplet What ep was that?

• Su
      9th of Mar, 2019

The troll is back. She’s not hitting her kids, she’s brainwashing other kids. I’m sure this will be posted on the website that publishes her posts and accusations that are false. The Board of Education in her city will be notified, I’d bet. Another lawsuit for defaming the school system.

• Ra
      16th of Mar, 2019

It is sad that you are a teacher. You are immature and a poor role model.That being said with how immature you are you have no right calling grown men boys when you are acting like a child. Mind your own business. Those men are not your son's or teachers.

16th of Mar, 2019

@raeareafdasfesfdsaf I'm so embarrassed to share a profession with her!