Office Position (was: Administrative Assistant Position)False Job Position

I Review updated:

Received suspicious email claiming to require a credit check prior to being contacted for a job. YEAH, RIGHT!!! I have applied for a couple of jobs through Craigslist in the past week or two (probably came from there).

Email follows (source below that):

Thanks for your interest in our office position. Just to restate the job duties for clarity, you will be answering the phone, scheduling meetings, and running company errands in a company car. When running errands you will be provided with a company credit card to make supply purchases, etc.

We have had some bad experiences with a prior employee, so before we can schedule an interview, we need you to get a credit check. We prefer you use http://www.nationalcreditchecker.com to obtain this information. When you submit your information they will send you your credit score. When you email me your credit score, we can schedule an interview. Please do not email me your credit report, as this may have private information in it. Just send me your credit score. If you have a low credit score, that will not prevent you from having an interview with us, as we just need to make sure you are dependable.

Please send me your schedule with availability. I am looking forward to your response, thanks.

Jennifer Martinez
Hiring Manager
KB Collins Contracting LLC.
[protected]@collinscontracting.com
www.collinscontracting.com

Thanks for your interest in our office position. Just to restate the
job duties for clarity, you
will be answering the phone, scheduling meetings, and running company
errands in a company car.  When running errands you will be provided
with a company
credit card to make supply purchases, etc.
We have had some bad experiences with a prior employee, so before we
can schedule an
interview, we need you to get a credit check. We prefer you use www.nationalcreditchecker.com
to obtain this information. When
you submit your information they will send you your credit score.  When
you email
me your credit score, we can schedule an interview. Please do not email
me your credit report, as this may have private information in it. Just
send me your credit score. If you have a low
credit score, that will not prevent you from having an interview with
us, as we just need to make sure you are dependable.

Please send me your schedule with availability.  I am looking forward
to your response, thanks.

• X
      Aug 15, 2009

I just sent an email to reply for an office job on Craigslist today. I didn't send a resume, just a short paragraph on why I'm qualified because they didn't disclose the company name. So in the letter I asked for the company name and exact location, mainly because I want to search the company before I send my resume. So we'll see what happens.

• Y
      Aug 17, 2009

About 5 minutes ago I received the same reply as you have posted here. They wanted my credit score in order to continue with the application process, and it was signed by Jeniffer Martinez, same company. This is about the TWENTIETH job I have applied to on Craigslist that has turned out to be a total scam!!!

• Y
      Aug 17, 2009

I received the EXACT email response from the EXACT job listing on the El Paso Craigslist just 5 mins ago!!! They wanted my credit score etc. etc. This is about the twentieth job that I have applied for on Craigslist that has turned out to be a scam. I have learned to send a simple email stating I would like more information on the job, then I open my email and usually, there is an automated response in my inbox almost immediately. These jobs, you know, are scams.
    Ticked off job hunter in El Paso

• T
      Aug 22, 2009

Yep. Same situation here except I was dumb enough to get the credit report. Once I went to reply I checked up on the website and found it was bogus. I have totally learned my lesson dealing with craiglist. Don't trust anyone or anything on craigslist. Especially when a job offer comes this easily. Hopefully these mother***ers were not able to steal my ss # but the link provided in their email is probably enabled to steal this information similar to myspace viruses that forward you to another website that you enter your passowrd into. I called the credit place and cancelled and then worried that this was what they are wanting you to do...cancell your credit report trial so they can then take out a credit card and steal your identity. I am hoping this doesn't happen, but if it does I will just have to take it as a lesson learned since I was dumb enough to fall for it. God luck to anyone else out there and I hope they catch these low lifes.