O'Donnell & Sons Inc.Scam alert

Dear neighbor On August 11th 2006, my wife and I purchased a home from O’donnell & Sons Inc. After living in the house for 7 months, the closing punch list items are still not complete. Our basement floods any time there is a heavy rainfall because the property was not properly excavated. The Wappingers Falls town engineer verified that the land in Meadow Woods should be pitched away from the houses towards the holding pond. My property pitches back towards the house. The builder has been telling me that he is going to address the problems for the past 6 months. There have been 2 plumbing leaks in the house since we moved in. One of the plumbing leaks led to very large amounts of water flooding the basement, garage, hallway, and dining room. The drywall and insulation’s integrity has been compromised, but the builder refuses to replace either.

SANESTER Apr 14, 2010

It has been 3 years and Sean O'Donnell never did anything to fix our basement flooding issues. We brought in an excavator at our own expense and ran irrigation lines to get the water away from the house. The house flooded twice last summer (2009) after performing this work so I had to run a second line to daylight. I have spent thousands of dollars to correct the poor workmanship of O'Donnell & Sons Inc. The cost of hiring a lawyer would not offset the $5, 000 I estimate Sean O'Donnell owes me. 2 or 3 of my neighbors have had similar experiences when dealing with this man.

Don't buy anything from someone who will not give you their cell phone number!

Search Engine Terms:
    Hopewell Junction
    Wappingers Falls

• Se
    Sean O'Donnell Jun 18, 2010

In response to this complaint – I have been building homes in the Hudson Valley for over 25 years & have built approximately 100 homes in that time. With all that experience I have not had as difficult a customer as the writer of this complaint.

As to the punch list, I fulfilled all my obligations that were presented to me at closing. I went above and beyond to please the customer, as I always do, but could not please him. He wanted more. Legally, I am only responsible for the punch list that is signed at closing not to fix things after the customer moves in except for warranty items. The home was a spec home and was completed when he purchased it.

The water issue was resolved. I fixed the leaks that occurred when he first moved in. Then he had water issues after he had a large swimming pool installed & the ground was regraded. I had the Town Inspector & Town Engineer meet me at the home and I was told that I did the grading of the property correctly and the water problem was not due to anything I did wrong.

I think all these issues came from the customer when at closing, with his attorney’s disapproval he was trying to convince me to pay part of his closing costs. Although his attorney said he was well informed these fees were his responsibility. He stormed out of the closing upset that I would not pay & his wife said “my husband is very unique”. He did pay the full closing costs but was not happy about it.

It’s a shame that your happy customers don’t write a blog on the internet just the ones that have an axe to grind. I just recently discovered that he had written several blogs on the internet which has cost me business.

I have always enjoyed a good reputation with real estate brokers, bankers, attorneys and many customers. I will gladly give any potential customers the names and numbers of homeowners that I have built for.

sarah_johnson61 Jan 23, 2013

We own an O'Donnell built home. We are the second homeowner and so far are unimpressed. The quality of workmanship is extremely poor. There are nails popping out of the drywall (yes, nails, not screws), the drywall tape is also visible in many areas. Part of the floor on the second level is uneven and it's clear it is not due to settling as the railing on that portion of the floor is level to try to cover up the mistake. We found two sections in our basement under the front porch and also under a bay window where the frame of the house overhangs the foundation and was left completely open. We didn't find this until we went to address the smell in our basement and realized it was from years of mice coming in and out of the openings and nesting in the insulation in the ceiling of the basement. Once we removed the insulation we saw where the builder just left huge gaps and stuffed insulation in to hide it. We have spent thousands of dollars on cleaning and repairs and we've owned the house less than a year. We plan on building a home at some point in the future, and now we know to stay away from O'Donnell. I would also warn anyone else thinking about building with them to investigate them thoroughly. We found that many of our neighbors were also displeased with the quality of workmanship and have had issues with their homes as well.

• Se
    Sean ODonnell Jun 28, 2016

To sarah_johnson61
    I would suggest, prior to throwing negative complaints out to the public, that you seriously do more research as to WHO built the home you purchased as a SECOND homeowner. We have done some research on our end and ODonnell & Sons DID NOT build your home. It probably taken less time to research who built the home than it took to write your comments.

We have been building in the area and the surrounding areas for MANY years. We have built quite a number of homes and have had MANY homeowners who were and still are happy with their homes. Some of the homes that we have built have been referred by other homeowners MANY years later.