Odesk CorporationBeware!

Odesk Scam - Don't Hire Odesk Programmers. Odesk based in California did not lift a finger when we got scammed by oversea programmers. WARNING BEFORE USING ODESK READ THIS. We recently hired Odesk to introduce us to a "So Called" affordable software programmers. Here's the Scam that happened to us on Odesk:

1. We were quoted a large fee (about $10, 000) by a very nice programmer to develop software for us.

2. Midway into the stage the programmer comes back to us and stated he miscalculated his quote and demanded another approx. $5, 000.00 to complete the project.

3. We were so deep into the Odesk Project that we agreed to pay the additional money to Odesk.

4. After the software was 75% completed the programmer came back to us and DEMANDED ANOTHER approx. $20, 000.00 to complete the Odesk Project

5. After we told the programmer we already paid twice and another approx. $20, 000.00 is way out of our budget he instantly turned into a Nightmare! He was no longer nice... he told us we need to pay the other $20, 000.00 or we will basically get nothing for our money that we can do anything with.

6. We contacted Ron Aquino from Odesk about this issue. They basically told us to work with the programmer and there was nothing they could do other than send them an email. They said they would talk to the programmer but instead of helping us they gave the programmers more money.

Ron Aquino told us to pay the money the programmer was asking for... because the programmers was not happy with our solution to make payments for the extra bribe money. Please understand that Odesk gets paid when a programmer gets paid. There's something fishy about that.

Odesk takes a commission every billing hour. It only makes sense that naturally they don't mind a client getting over billed and Price Bait and Switch because the more money the programmers earn the more money they earn... Thus there was no conclusion... or help from Odesk.

Ron Aquino informed our company to stop using odesk. Probably because of our massive complaints. The Odesk Corporation did absolutely NOTHING to help the situation. We have Nothing to show for the thousands of dollars we lost. Our recommendation is if you want to use Odesk to out source your programmers BEWARE of Bait and Switch of the pricing... because the programmers know once you are deep into the job and the work is almost done you will have no choice but to pay what ever they demand to finish the job.

Beware of the Mr. Nice guy routine as first because the first second you tell them you can't afford to pay more... you will experience a living nightmare and will loose your money and time invested.

That was our Odesk experience!

odesksux Apr 20, 2015

Hi, folks, I suggest people of the same area should gather together regularly to work out ways to fight with odesk. we should be united.

saschap Apr 08, 2014

oDesk supports slavery, they allow publishing of fixed price job for 100 USD per month, 5 hours working per day from Monday to Saturday. screenshot: http://s10.postimg.org/57ya3tga1/odesk2.png
    So, if Iran allows selling of kidney for max 5000 USD and user is from Iran, but oDesk is registered in the US, odesk must forbid such business. It is the same about economic exploitation. Whatever excuses odesk can find, you can see from screenshot that it is typical example of exploitation, published mentioned salary and monthly work 5 hours per day 6 days in a week. It is not contract for some product, it is monthly salary. One more woman wrote negative experience (race and age discrimination): https://www.change.org/petitions/odesk-corporation-make-the-odesk-marketplace-fair-for-everyone

• Yo
    Youngblazecky Apr 07, 2014

I prefer using SEOClerks instead of odesk. It's much easier and i love their services. Have you heard of it? :)

• We
    wendygoerl Feb 10, 2014

And you didn't just cancel the contract BECAUSE!?!??!

odeskisvampire Nov 09, 2012

Hi all victims, I think we need work together to do something.
    Let's teach some people some lessons!
    Let's change this unfairness

odeskisvampire Nov 09, 2012

Just like a dog won't give up chasing his bones, oDesk won't give up my ID - oDesk once again suspended me in order to force me to submit my ID, and on their web, they claimed that ID verification is "optional". I don't understand why the heck oDesk is so much obsessed with my privacy.

If my hard work and profile is my private property, then oDesk simply transpass over and over whenever they want - oDesk is locking my door to force me to turn in my ID to them. Sounds familiar? Yes, as seen in those movies, gangsters point their guns to your head to force you to turn in your money.

I really think oDesk is actually a business from North Korea or Mexico !

When oDesk once again tried to manipulate its providers, it successfully turned itself from a Platform into a Pimp. Odesk probably has a motto that they are nothing but slave owner, dog owner, pimp, bummer, blood sucker.

Just to give you a quick recap. oDesk once suspended me for 7 months, with an excuse to verify my NAME by forcing me to provide photo ID, address, date of birth. Far earlier than that, my profile sometimes was secretely burried from search, job invitations secretly went directly to archives, messages never arrived at personal email. etc.

Due to my fight with oDesk, it set me free a few months ago without any compensation to my loss of time and income. It also means, during my suspension, someone else was getting something. As if it is not unfair enough, oDesk changed its ranking system to something called "dynamic" which made all my previous rankings become nothing, and I was top xx provider before that !

Now what excuse did oDesk use this time? "inconsistent IP", and I told oDesk a million times that I was travelling but those bums at oDesk probably never travel nor believe any providers should travel.

As a senior victim ###ed by oDesk, let me tell you the traps set by oDesk:

1. If you submit your ID, you can only work at one location, otherwise, oDesk will suspend you for "inconsistent IP". You can't work during travel.

2. If you submit your ID, some unethical bum out of nowhere will get that information and you will be a victim of identity theft.

3. If you submit your ID, oDesk patchs a hole in your wallet. Remember they check every of your single message of work, and they know your online payment information.

4. If you submit your ID, this doesn't have anything to do with solution to inconsistent IP !! In a word, oDesk just wants to simply either suspend you or get your privacy.

5. If you submit your ID, last but not least, oDesk have all your privacy.In some pathetic country, provdiers there have only 1 type of ID for everthing.
    More and more theft reported in news. Someone's bank was withrawed from abroad.

But, if you are not famous, not in someone's way, you don't have to worry for a while, because I was suspended by oDesk each time when my business boomed and I got lots of projects ! I not only was forced to drop future projects, but the current ongoing projects!

I'm not the only person who had bad experiences with oDesk. There are buyers as well as providers ###ed by oDesk. If you are a lawyer or reporter who is interested in our pathetic case with oDesk, please contact me. :)

• Ri
    Rico Yan Aug 06, 2012

I will not allow odesk will do this to me especially the staff who are Filipinos where I discovered who did it to me and I won't discuss further it here but one thing is for sure since there are many Filipino staffs. Maybe 2 or 3 of them must get be Murdered in order to get a relief on my part.

To all victims of odesk, Let us murder some of odesk people(staff) to teach them a lesson. For you are staying in US, Better executed at least 2 or 3 odesk staff to give message to the world. I am sorry for writing this here because first, I mean it; second, I am very angry of odesk.

• Ri
    Rie Avis May 20, 2012

This must be a really terrible experience for you! This is the disadvantage of not having a middle man to handle and arrange agreements between employer and contractor.
    You might want to check www.staff.com. This is also an outsourcing company but we have inhouse Human Resources Management to make sure the contractors and employes meet halfway.

• Co
    consumersrevolt Nov 01, 2011

My problem with oDesk is as a provider. I have built a good profile, portfolio and work history but have the problem of there being little quality work available. Everybody wants to hire the cheapest worker, only to have to turn around and hire someone else to clean up their mess (also at the cheapest rates). So far, I've not had a problem with their customer service and make a point to follow their terms of service, but agree with the guy who said he felt he was prostituting his services. I've had to drop my already competitive rates to compete for the few good jobs available but am at the point that I'm looking elsewhere for work. I could create my own website and make over 5 times as much per hour in only one of my fields of expertise...something I'm seriously considering doing.

oDesk is fine for American providers, but only if they're willing to work for well under a living wage and only if they stick to the hourly jobs (I've seen jobs where employers literally ask for free work - disguised as so-called samples of what you'd do for them specifically - avoid this and any jobs not guaranteed!!!).

I can't say for being an oDesk employer, because I'm not one, but it sounds as though some are unhappy either with the quality of work they receive or oDesk's service/resolution support. I have no experience with that, as my clients have all been happy but, regarding the quality of work, I can only say you get what you pay for...the majority of quality providers will request what they feel they're worth and, generally, competitively so. If they're claiming college-level or above skills and only asking $2/hour...10 to 1, something's up.

• Lo
    lostmoneyonodesk Sep 11, 2011

Same Happened with me, I hired programmer on odesk, he was so unresponsive and kept dragging the project to make more money hourly. I delayed my project which was small modification job to turned into nightmare. He dragged the project for 1 year and in the end site he modified was extremely slow and he could fix it. I ended up paying $10, 000 modifying for $150 script. I would never suggest to hire programmers who are unresponsive and if you have bad feeling about programmer just drop it, otherwise you will endup paying $10000 and will get nothing in return apart from scrapping your project.

• Vi
    victimofodesk Jun 24, 2011

I have been working in ODESK for two years. I had the unfortunate mishap of complaining to their customer service and their Odesk Marketplace of my recent buyer (also known as my employer) and some of my co-workers making fun of my ethnicity and my being a disabled person other than having a hairlip.

If I could draw your attention to their ODESK Marketplace regulations, it bespeaks of two things: GUARANTEED PROTECTION from work and harassment of any form.

When I complained about the buyer's behavior, what happened was that Customer Service referred my case to their Marketplace and I was asked to submit my evidences from pictures (JPEG/PNG) to chat transcripts of any form if available. I have done all of that.

While awaiting the result of the investigation, WITHOUT WARNING, ODESK SUDDENLY PERMANENTLY SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT.

I was the victim and the complaining party and this is what they do to complainants.

This horrible story just tells you that ODESK is BIASED if you will complain about American Employers and Filipino Co-Workers. I am a Malasian Christian working from home because of my condition but this does not mean I am not useful nor am I a dependent.

ODESK TOLD ME THAT MY SUSPENSION WAS PERMANENT AND I CANNOT ANYMORE COMPLAIN AND THEY WOULD NOT RESPOND TO MY EMAILS ANYMORE.

They claim to have warned me but there was absolutely none and now my account has been permanently suspended and according to their email, it is their prerogative not to reply inspite of the fact that I have a pending complaint lodged against my buyer.

BEWARE! IF YOU ARE A DISABLED PERSON, NOT AN INDIAN, NOT A FILIPINO, THEN PLEASE DO NOT APPLY AT ODESK.

I HAVE LEARNED THAT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE ARE MOSTLY FILIPINOS BUT THE WAY THEY SPEAK (NOTWITHSTANDING THE POOR GRAMMAR) COMES WITH A RIGHTEOUS INDIGNATION OF SORTS AND IT IS AS IF THEY ARE AMERICANS AS WELL TOTALLY FORGETTING THEIR BEAUTIFUL CULTURE.

A very sad situation that ODESK refuses to rectify.

-ODESK PROVIDER VICTIM-

MarySthewriter Jun 04, 2011

As an ODesk contractor, having skimmed through the posts... I have to say I think that 99% of the time, this is a case of the user not reading the oDesk policies and not doing their homework on the people they hired. Sorry, guys, but I'm not buying the sob stories. oDesk doesn't make ANY claims about screening their freelancers... or, for that matter, the companies that use them to hire people. It's not an employment agency, it's a place to meet up- rather like a dating site. If you went on one of those and had a bad date, would you blame them? Or would you think, gee, I invited this person I talked to 2x over e-mail to my house, and then got robbed? Duh.
    If you meet someone through a dating site, you meet them publicly, you talk to them, you get to know them... If you hire someone through oDesk, you check out their previous projects, and if you're going to pay them substantial money for a big project... you get references!
    Don't blame oDesk for your lack of common sense.

• Co
    Collector Coin Mar 22, 2011

Here's another oDesk-related bad story - http://blog.colnect.com/2011/03/odesk-warning-for-employers.html

odesk_support Jan 30, 2011

twitter @odesksux

724 Dec 21, 2010

An update on MY odesk experience:

Firstly, it is without question, the only thing that oDesk places a priority on, is collecting their 10%. Everything else is secondary.

After some heated exchanges with oDesk on the matter, we disputed the amount charged on my Visa. $14, 000 worth. VISA accepted the dispute, and issued a charge back to oDesk.

oDesk then re-charged the credit card again for the $14, 000. VISA contacted us for further details; after providing VISA with the email correspondence between oDesk and ourselves, VISA ruled in favor of ourselves and applied the chargebacks again.

We received an email from oDesk shortly after stating that they were going to do everything in their power under Australian Law, including sending the amount to an international collection agency, to recover the $14, 000. --- Now this is funny considering previous discussions on the topic oDesk advised us that if we wanted to dispute the charges, we would have to do so in a Californian Court.

We gave oDesk the name and contact details of our corporate Barrister, who has advised oDesk that we welcomed their persuit under Australian Law as we will be countering for damages; approximately $250, 000 worth.

Thus far oDesk have gone silent.

These guys *are* completely unethical. There are many other services out there where you can contract developers and not have to deal with the recalcitrant nature of these [censor].

724 Dec 21, 2010

This is true. I should have! I could have hired an American at 20 times the prescribed rate, who demands he only works 35 hours per week, wants 4 months off vacation per year and God help me if he doesn't work out and I decide to fire him... I'd spend the next ten years in court over wrongful dismissal, emotional and psychological damage claims, and the list goes on. And that's if the guy doesn't just show up to the office with a gun and shoot me cuz it's his God given right to bear arms.

Yup. Let's hire an American.

• Li
    Li'l Crys Dec 21, 2010

Perhaps you should have thought about that before you bypassed countless Americans who, I'm certain, could have done your project. Sometimes you really do get what you pay (or don't pay) for.

724 Oct 03, 2010

Ohhhh Folks...

I've recently had a "Run In" with oDesk too.

Let me set the record straight with these guys. They **do not ** give a rats @$$ about you as the employer. Nor do they care at all about you as a contractor.

They care about one thing, and one thing only: 10% commission on all transactions.

In my dispute with oDesk (which I will not bother going into) it became abundantly clear that even though oDesk acknowledged that the contractor hired had done the wrong thing, had billed for hours not entitled, etc; there was no way that oDesk was going to refund to me monies they charged to my credit card.

In the end, I had to lodge a dispute with VISA to get my money back. I got every penny of it back; and have subsequently black listed oDesk amongst our organizations.

The blacklisting wasn't because the contractor defrauded us; it was solely because of oDesk's absolutely horrible manner of dealing with it.

That being said, I understand there are many many happy people using the service. However there are a statistically significant portion of both contractors and contractees that are pissed off with these guys -- and that can't be ignored.

Steve

• Hf
    hfe Sep 27, 2010

We have been ripped off by odesk as well. They won’t even refund us the commission they took from us being robbed. In addition to the money we lost months waiting for our product from them and in the end got nothing. We filed a complaint with BBB online. I urge anyone who has had a problem to do the same. It only takes a couple of minutes and can get odesk BBB rating down. That was how I was duped because I checked them out and they have an A+ rating. If you file a complaint maybe you can even get something back.

odesk_support Aug 31, 2010

============ i forgot the login details, so i changed to another id ===================

I have been a trustworthy provider who has some reputation among odesk community but odesk suspended my profile, account, job applications, job offers and contracts in order to force me to provide privacy including date birth, photo, address proof etc. They simply cut off my income.

I feel this crossed the line. Provider should also have certain privacy. I asked around, but other buyers and providers did not have to provide such information!

Odesk also suspended my access to forums, so that they can cover this issue! Because I submitted many tickets to customer support, odesk even blocked me from their customer support! Later they permanently suspended my account.

Long time ago before this incident, my profile was secretly hidden by odesk from search, and I did not know this until someday a buyer told me he could not find me! And it happened a few times!

I have heard a lot of cases that buyers were scammed by providers at odesk, but odesk did nothing to help. I was honest and reliable and I never scammed anyone, but my account was suspended! This is very unfair! Maybe because odesk feel they cannot earn a lot from my working, so they just throw me out??

I am finding a good lawyer regarding this issue and welcome anyone else to join in.

odesk_support Aug 31, 2010

============ I forgot the login details, so i changed to another id ==================

odesk_provider Aug 31, 2010

odesk_provider Aug 31, 2010

How to contact you, odesksucks?

• Ho
    HONEST WORKER Jun 28, 2010

My oDesk experience until now. All i know is that all Americans think that Philippines does such a good job and are willing to pay them cents instead of dollars. All you buyers complain that you have been scammed be providers. I can tell you something for sure. I am an administrator hard working and honest. I was scammed by an American buyer and his team just a few days ago. So there are fraudulent people both on providers and buyers side. There are genuine providers out there that bid for not more that 3 or so dollars because they need work just like anyone else and do a perfect job.

Mouse

AnonUser Jun 10, 2010

I am a 20+ year advertising Creative Director/Copywriter. I signed onto oDesk about one month ago. My saga is as a provider. The two interviews I've received so far have both been cases of buyers who know nothing about advertising. One dragged out the interview for 2 weeks before finally admitting he didn't have the money. The second was similar, only even worst in terms of his lack of knowledge about the advertising process. What's truly additionally disturbing, in my case, is that I feel like I am literally prostituting my skills and talents. The last client got around $1000 US worth of work for $350. His credit card didn't go through, delaying payment. He finally did pay - but now oDesk is making me wait until June 15th for payment. That will be two weeks after providing the services. The support team was nothing even close to supportive. They should change the department name to the lack-of-support team. oDesk gets a BIG O as in zero in my book. PROVIDERS BEWARE - ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A PROFESSIONAL WITH CREDENTIALS.

Annonymous5 Apr 30, 2010

I will NEVER use oDesk again in my life, even if I could.

I was permanently suspended on False grounds because of some newbie Client, who also forced me to do 75% of the Job without pay, at the end, leaving my the lowest possible feedback score.

Then oDesk decided also to Steal my 8 Job Payments that were still in my account, including bonuses that were given to me for doing excellent Jobs.

Do NOT use oDesk, they are only concerned about getting as much money as they can for themselves.
    I have been on oDesk for years, so trust me, I know...
    I maintained an awesome 5-Star Profile all through that time, and then oDesk had me shut down as soon as they found the slightest disagreement between the Client and myself.

They have absolutely no concern for the well-being of the Providers who work hard to bring in their money.

The Providers or oDesk are treated as Slave Dogs.

Take your chances with some other more reputable Freelance Service.

Elance, Guru and others are more trusted, and better as a whole than oDesk.

Good luck with your Business,
    Saddened and Ripped-off by oDesk,
    -Annonymous

• Cc
    CCN PTY LTD Apr 07, 2010

This is the worst scamming site I have ever come across. DONT DEAL WITH THEM !!! As far as they are concerned. Customers do not have rights. They are aware they have unscrupulous people providing services, but are not prepared to lift one finger to help. Only happy to steal money out of your credit card.
    If you have a choice, use a real person in the town you live. These people are experts at hiding behind cyberspace walls. STOP MAKING IT EASY FOR THEM.

• Ya
    Yan RippedOffByoDesk Mar 01, 2010

Don't get scammed by oDesk and their pretty interface. oDesk's interest are to keep their marketplace programmers billing. This can't happen if you have a successful project. I got ripped off by oDesk to the tune of $17K with nothing to show for it but a big fact not our problem.

Check out my story at http://rippedoffbyodesk.com or follow me on Twitter at http://twitter.com/oDeskSucks

• Ya
    Yan RippedOffByoDesk Mar 01, 2010

Same boat. Scammed by Bad Programmers and oDesk hides behind it marketplace agreement. Share your story on my website: RippedofByoDesk.com or follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/oDeskSucks

• Pd
    PDignity Jan 28, 2010

I had similar problems with oDesk. I hired a provider for a small research project with a tight 1-week deadline. A month later, I had been billed for one hour, received no work and no correspondence. On oDesk, you cannot close a project unless you leave feedback. In order to make the oDesk system work, I left poor feedback to protect other buyers from this lousy provider.

Provider sees the bad feedback and suddenly she's available. She says there was flooding in her country, and that she tried contacting me via email and yahoo messenger but I never replied (this is a LIE, I never heard anything from her and highly doubt email and messenger would both fail). She says "let's do this!" ... 3 weeks after the deadline I set passed. I ignore her & let my feedback stand.

SO, in retaliation the provider left me bad feedback too. This makes me look like a bad buyer, and may discourage others from working with me...even though I am the one who got screwed, I did nothing wrong!

I protested with oDesk, asking them to remove the dishonest 'retaliatory' feedback she left. oDesk was very polite, but in a nutshell, it became very clear that they have NOTHING in place to protect buyers from providers who are scammers. The one solution they offered was for me to delete both feedbacks...but to me that defeats the whole purpose of a feedback system -- I strongly felt other buyers should know that this provider was a scammer. Didn;t want anybody else to get scammed, but oDesk didn't share that sentiment.

In conclusion, I closed my oDesk account. Reading these other stories, I feel lucky...I could have lost a lot more money. If you are a buyer, understand that with oDesk you are taking a risk with any service you buy --- oDesk will NOT protect you from providers who are scammers, inept, etc. Why they choose to protect the scammer providers -- but not the honest buyers -- is beyond me.

odesksucks Dec 08, 2009

I meant to say: I am NOW suing odesk and will win, watch out.

odesksucks Dec 08, 2009

ODESK is horrible and I agree with this blog post. EVEN if you post the job url and use odesk's dispute system they will DO NOTHING. I had a person sexually harrassing me on odesk and he left me a very bad feedback bc of his hatred against women...ODESK DID NOTHING ABOUT IT. I am not SUING odesk and I will win.

• Fa
    Fahd Murtaza Aug 12, 2009

Hi

My past experience with oDesk has been good until recently I had an issue and oDesk support proved to be a nightmare.

oDesk support is non responsive at all. They are useless. On 7th August 2009, they closed my account without any notification. The account was not even in use for so many days as I was on a trip and had limited access to the internet.

Here is my communication with them. See, how stupid they are when it comes to support. I am 100% sure nothing went wrong with my account and oDesk support is horrible. They wont help an honest person. They only support rip offs I guess.

When User ID Comment
    08/12/2009 14:15:34 Hello

oDesk support is being unfair here. My account was not in use during the days it was closed. I am not even being told the reason why it was closed.

Regards,
    Fahd Murtaza
    08/12/2009 14:04:34 doreenmartel
    (odesk) Your oDesk account has been closed permanantly and will not be reinstated.

There is no additional information available.
    08/12/2009 10:42:07 I will appreciate urgent response to my last comment. You only told me that it was flagged by your syetm, but I have not been using my oDesk account in the days during which the account was flagged.

I sure deserve the right to know why the account which I literally worked hard on and which was not used for anything illegal has been closed without any reason and even without any notice.
    08/11/2009 16:01:45 Hi

I am sure I didn't do anything that has caused the system to flag my account. Can this matter be checked by some human to really understand and let me know what really happened with my account. I have really worked hard to get clients and make a good profile on oDesk and I deserve to know what really happened that made my account flagged by your system.

I am 100% sure I didn't do anything wrong and I deserve the right to understand what really happened and what I can do to assure that my account is reopened. I am very much frustrated at the moment as I am an honest guy and worked my way up to make a good portfolio and prove myself a good resource to buyers. My buyers hire me on recurring basis and I don't even know what I did wrong to get banned and why my account was closed.

Again, I am sure that I am following oDesk policies and working on ethics promoted by oDesk.
    08/11/2009 15:09:55 rriccio
    (odesk) Unfortunately, your account was flagged by our system and we had to close it. Your available funds were refunded back to your Buyer for them to pay you directly. You should have received a notice. I apologize if you didn't.
    08/11/2009 05:12:43 I want to know why my account is closed. I was not informed of any reason why my account is closed. I haven't done anything wrong which might be the reason for oDesk to close my account.

So I will appreciate if I get details about the reason to close my account.
    08/10/2009 20:31:14 rriccio
    (odesk) Thank you for contacting oDesk Support.

I am sorry but your account has been closed. This is why you are unable to access it.

Please let us know if we can be of additional assistance.
    08/10/2009 07:40:18 Hi

I have been working on oDesk as fahd murtaza and my general profile link was

I think someone has hacked into my account and deleted all my info. Any help asap is appreciated.

I can't even login to my account and my provider listing on oDesk is gone. I don't know how this happened. An urgent response is highly appreciated.

Andrew Nelson Jun 29, 2009

Odesk is great. As a programmer myself I can see screenshots of my programmer's work and make sure he is doing what I expect. If I were to require a large project and was not able to monitor the work and argue the effort required then I would use a site like rentacoder where they will mediate the situation. Sometimes flat price for project is the way to go and sometimes hourly wage is the way to go. It really sucks that you got burned and I understand your frustration but I don't think it is fair for you to be upset at odesk.

• Si
    siliconvalley1 May 04, 2009

I feel Odesk is a terrible company to deal with. They know very well that their website is rife with scammers and they also know that working on an hourly basis is a terrible idea when outsourcing as its very difficult to know how much time is really being spent and also to gauge the competency of the person for the task beforehand. Despite this they encourage people to do work through hourly jobs rather than on an agreed upon fixed price.

It is pathetic that odesk will not mediate in terms of actual work delivered or quality of the work. Their odesk tool only verifies the person is online and using their computer.. thats about it. They are basically running a big scam with this hourly work scheme and getting away with it.

After getting scammed over and over (with a few good tasks in between) on small hourly jobs I decided I would no longer post any hourly projects and now I will only post fixed price jobs. This actually works a lot better and you can usually get people to work with no money upfront and then they know if they don't deliver to your previous specifications they won't get paid.

Johny May 02, 2009

Hi every one just check how odesk treat a contest. ozzietel.net.au got the heighest score and they gave us second place and didnt give us first place. DONT DO BUSINESS WITH THAT COMPANY VERY BAD. http://odesk.corank.com/tech/all/top/

Marc Mar 09, 2009

I have a serious issue with Odesk. I was concerned that I was getting robbed by a buyer. Understand that we need protection on website such as this.

I chatted with there support. Understand that it was my first attempt at odesk. I typically use e-lance and rent a coder for my projects. I wanted to know if the provider was avoiding me by trying to know if they knew if he was aware that he was awarded the project. I paid 20% in advance. I’m a serious business owner with not much time on my hands so quality of service is important. Obviously support department didn’t want to answer that question and has decided to refund me and close my account. They were frustrated, taugh I might was getting screwed and didn't want to admit it. I’m very disappointed of there attitude and we do not make business that way. There future isn’t big with an attitude like this…

• Fr
    Fraud ODC Feb 26, 2009

We as the Fraud ODC were contacted by K.C. in order to determine if your nameless acusations are right:
    Your website is www.myclique.us - Victoria Campbell - MyClique LLC - 1400 East Baltimore Street - MD - 21231 United States email: [email protected] [email protected] - [email protected] - telephone. [protected] between 9a.m. -12a.m. Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    We were submitted the offer and all communication between yourselves.
    We determined the following: The offer was done on a fixed price. You kept adding demands and additions to the work after the work as quoted was finished without willing to pay the additional fees requested to do the additional work.
    Conclusion: What you are writing is totally false and K was in his right to request an additional small fee to do the additional requested work as this was not quoted in the original offer.
    Final: CLOSED.

• Fr
    Fraud ODC Feb 26, 2009

I was a young entrepreneur and they probably would have known that by reading through my bio that was included in the written material I had forwarded to them to include in my website.

Sam Feb 01, 2009

I had already filed a complain against odesk this fraud company because they charged me $800 and provider ran away with the money. I contacted odesk but they refused to offer any kind of settlement and also refused to provide me with the service.