Netflixpoor information & data security framework

Netflix Team,

I am an India based Netflix account holder. Kindly treat this email as a formal complaint against the Netflix team around lack of ample information & data security framework for your customers. Someone attempted to hack my netflix account on 01-Oct-19. I saw following emails in my mailbox on the morning of 01-Oct-19:

1. Login from Telangana
2. Login from Macedonia, Greece
3. Email confirming password being changed
4. Email confirming that my registered email address for netflix has been changed

I immediately called the help centre and got my details restored. However, my credentials were not validated before they went ahead and restored my details. That was yet another instance poor information security setup that you guys have.

Post restoration of my account details, I requested the team to share the email address that was used to replace my registered details so that i could file a complaint with the cyber security cell however that request was denied. I called thrice however every time i was told that once account details are updated, old data is not available. This is a clear lie.

Your privacy statement clearly states that your team tracks a lot of information pertaining to to the customers including account settings, user details, browsing details etc then how is it possible that your team does not have the information about email address used to replace mine during the hacking attempt on my account.

I then received an email form your team asking me to fill get the form filled by a law enforcement agency and then have it submitted. WHY SHOULD I RUN FROM PILLAR TO POST FOR YOUR FAILURE TO ENSURE SAFETY OF MY ACCOUNT DETAILS, FINANCIAL DETAILS AND ABSOLUTE LACK OF APATHY TOWARDS THE HACKING THREAT ?

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF YOUR TEAM TO ENSURE THAT YOUR CUSTOMER ACCOUNTS AND PII IS SECURED ENOUGH THAT IT CANNOT BE COMPROMISED. WHAT IS THE GUARANTEE THAT A SIMILAR INCIDENT WON'T BE REPEATED AGAIN? WHAT IS THE GUARANTEE THAT IT WASN'T ANYONE FROM THE NETFLIX FAMILY ITSELF WHO TRIED TO HACK MY ACCOUNT?

HEREBY I AM NOTIFYING YOU TO ONCE AGAIN REVIEW MY REQUEST OF SHARING THE EMAIL ID THAT WAS USED TO COMPROMISE MY NETFLIX ACCOUNT, FAILING WHICH I WOULD BE LEFT WITH NO OTHER OPTION BUT TO TAKE LEGAL RECOURSE AGAINST YOUR TEAM FOR FAILURE TO PROTECT MY INFORMATION SAVED ON YOUR SERVERS.

I WOULD ALSO BE SHARING THE ABOVE EXPERIENCE ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA FORUMS TO SPREAD AWARENESS AMONGST OTHER USERS.

So
Oct 02, 2019

Comments

• Cw
      Oct 03, 2019

Soo... just to recap:
    You're mad that they didn't give you information about your account on the phone, and complain about their poor handling of personal data. They offered you a way to have your request processed through the appropriate channels, and instead of taking the form to the authorities as suggested, you instead threaten to take legal action against Netflix for protecting account data.
    Yup, that makes sense.