NCIC - Longview Texas - pay phone serviceExorbitant charges without sufficient notice

J

Without notice I was billed $25 per call placed from a public pay phone located in Union Station, Chicago, IL.

• Su
    Sunny C Dec 01, 2008

I made an about 2-minute phone call at an airport and was charged more than $12.

• To
    Torrey Jan 28, 2009

I had left my cell phone and home and tried to contact my wife using my debit card through the payphone at a San Diego Trolley Stop. Of the 5 calls placed, 3 only went to voicemail. I never once talked to a live person. To my surprise, each call made cost $32 and some change, totalling over $160! I have attempted to call the billing company, and their standard response is to offer half as payment. (After researching blogs on the company known as NCIC, who incidently supply payphones to the prisons as well.) I insisted that they remove all charges as no warning is given while connecting the call. In fact, I was led to believe that I could either deposit 50 cents or use my card. The folks at NCIC state that the FCC allows them to charge this price. In that case, I would call this practice legal theft. As a matter of principle I will not accept paying half the bill. Paying 64 times the amount for a local call, and then being offered to pay 32 times the amount is insulting. Below you will find a copy/paste of my online bank statement.

1/22/2009 MC-NCIC 858------- CA [protected] $32.53
    1/22/2009 MC-NCIC 619------- CA [protected] $32.59
    1/22/2009 MC-NCIC 619----------CA [protected] $32.64
    1/22/2009 MC-NCIC 619-------CA [protected] $32.70
    1/22/2009 MC-NCIC 619--------- CA [protected] $32.75

• Pe
    peter May 26, 2009

I also was charged 60 dollars for 14 minutes of calls from a hospital phone after I had my first child. I also got hit with 175.00 of NSF fees for 5 calls that put 30.00 hold for each call and my bank charged me 35.00 NSF for each call!!! I was told by the NCIC operator that it was my fault for not asking the operator about the hold charges. So, for 14 minutes of airtime, I was charged loan-sharking fee of 235.00 !!!
    I feel like I was literally raped by this horrible company. How am I going to pay for diapers and formula now? But I know that karma will take care of this, and what comes around goes around. So, please tell everyone you know to avoid NCIC and don't make any calls using your debit card. Heed my sadness and stress. Makes me lose more of my faith in people.

Peter

• Gl
    glosski Jul 26, 2009

Just got back from North Carolina where my cell phone went out in Charlotte; I used my credit card as offered when I dialed and got home to a $24 charge for less than 5 minutes of conversation. I'm disputing the charge with my card holder and am simply amazed that this practice is allowed to continue. I have every intention of pursuing this issue with the airport itself in an attempt to get these phones out of there. By allowing them to remain, they are complicent in this robbery.

• Sb
    sbpd861 Feb 28, 2010

I used a payphone outside of the White Palace grill near Whole Foods Market on Canal St. in Chicago. Even though I was connected, my co-worker couldn't hear me {bad receiver on pay-tx}. Now I have a $29 charge on my credit card, for 1-minute of nothing. The pay-tx is just to the left of the door, but not in the photo.

• Is
    ishook Feb 28, 2010

I got charged $30 for a 1 minute call using a pay phone at the Water Tower in Chicago. I used Visa since I didn't have change. I could've bought a pre-pay cell phone for that price.

• Gl
    glosski Mar 16, 2010

Complained with FCC & got over half back - they kept the connection fee ($10) on the NC airport call. BTW the locations get a cut for these phones, they are there to generate income for the airports, malls, etc., so share your angst with the bozo who allowed you to be ripped off for the profit !

Christopher Blake Jul 06, 2010

My card was authorized for over $80 for 3 calls, only one of which had more than 10 seconds of conversation. The first call went through but the phone's microphone was broken, the second call went to voicemail so I hung up, and on the third attempt I talked for about 3 or 4 minutes.

On my bank statement I had 2 charges for $26.00 and one charge for $30. I figured it was just one of those charges that was authorized for waaaay more than they would actually charge. They were still pending 7 days after the fact so I decided to call the company to see how much would actually go through. They told me that the charge was $5-8 JUST TO CONNECT and $4 A MINUTE thereafter. Better, but still unfair by far, especially considering that the rates were not visibly posted. As a matter of fact the only rate I remember seeing was one for $1 a minute (making these calls about 9x more than I was expecting).

These companies are seriously getting away with theft. What can I do to recap some of my money?

• To
    tomcat1234 Jan 23, 2013

On 2/29/2012, My wife and I went to shopping in Ikea and couldn't find each other in the store, she didn't bring her cellphone so she used the NCIC phone service on the wall to call my cellphone, there is no price sign at all and the call last only one minute. After that I noticed that our credit card has been charged $24.57!!!
    I believe this is theft no matter who allow them to do that.

Comments

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices