Nazareth Powerhouse GymGym Closed

M

STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLACE. OWNER Mike Leone has not followed through on any promises.

The gym closed without advance warning and stuck a lot of people for membership fees. They say they "moved" but there is no gym in operation at the "new" location. They blame "zoning" problems but this seems like a serious case of poor business management.

Rumor has it they were pretty behind on rent at the old location and needed to move quickly. Seems like they didn't do much up-front work on the move and tried to move an entire gym in 4 days, WITHOUT zoning permits. Are you kidding me? The "new" location at Rt 22 and 191 near Cigars International is a boarded-up building with exercise equipment outside the building and a poorly-worded sign stating the gym is moving in a "new direction". I'll say they'removing in a new direction...down the tubes.

The Township forced them to stop citing concerns about the type of business it is and also some safety concerns with the new building. This info is per gym employees.

I was forced to cancel my credit card because they over-charged me and did not follow through on my refund. They took $270 from my wife in January for a 1-year membership and $30 enrollment fee and there is no way for her to get a refund because the phone goes unanswered.

Stay away from this place until new ownership takes over, if that happens.

• El
    Elizabeth P Aug 11, 2009

I changed out my debit card and they sent me to a collections agency, I'm not sure how to handle this bc when I try to call and speak with someone, there is no answer. Any suggestions?

• El
    Elizabeth P Aug 11, 2009

I got a new debit card and they sent me to a collections agency...I don't know how to handle this...any suggestions?

• Ti
    Tina May 17, 2009

If you are having trouble reaching Michael Leone for your refund, I have his home address which is public record on the documents which are filed against him in this lawsuit. Maybe if you call, write or visit him at home you can get your refund. Just my thought. His brother's address in Maryland is also provided as follows...

Michael Leone

Germantown, MD
    20874

• Ti
    Tina May 17, 2009

Link to the stories WFMZ did on the "GYM".

• Mo
    moonlitrose25 May 06, 2009

The legal papers for you to read are in the mcall.com and are in pdf .

again the full story should be in Thursday's Morning Call

Also I want to give huge props to Retro Fitness, 25th Street in Easton. They are the most friendly caring gym. They have a beautiful facility and I actually enjoy going there to work out! Call or visit them!

Concerned Citizen May 06, 2009

Attorney General's Office Sues Gym: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-5gyms-0506, 0, 3142077.story

• Mo
    moonlitrose25 May 06, 2009

Apparently the gym is in the process of getting sued by the State Attorney General's Office to issue refunds. The story will be in tomorrow's Morning Call.

• Pa
    paymenow Apr 24, 2009

I just joined Retro Gym in Palmer Township after one trip to the new facility in Bath, which by the way, my friend in Moore Twps has a nicer set up in his basement. I did a one year contract last December with Powerhouse as most people did simply because I could walk to the gym, no other reason to spend $350 to go to that place. I mean, they didn't even have a water fountain! When I called them for a refund, they said they were not obligated to refund my money since they met these two requirements: 1) They reopened the gym within a one month period. 2) The new gym is within 5 miles of the original location (although my GPS says 6.2). For anyone looking for a new gym, the staff at retro knocked $20 of the initial sign up, and for a limited time yet, it is $19.99 a month, for life with a one year contract. Very nice, new equiptment.

Concerned Citizen Apr 23, 2009

Check out this link: http://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelleone

Another1scammed Apr 22, 2009

And some more info for you guys

St James Club Inc (Nazareth Power House Gym)
    659 Nazareth Pike,

US
    [protected]
    Fax:[protected]

Another1scammed Apr 21, 2009

Sounds like a good case for a class action lawsuit !

Heather Apr 20, 2009

Oh, I also wanted to comment, I hired one of their "personal trainers" for 5 sessions, and I was a beginner at that time. I told the trainer that, but he didn't care, he gave me workouts that were geared for someone that was training for a marathon. I should've told him it was too much, but I am the "suck it up type". Well, I ended up twisting my knee so bad that I pinched a nerve and ended up with temporary paralysis of my leg.

I guess that's another testimonial to their ineptitude...

Heather Apr 20, 2009

Geez, after reading these posts though, I am thankful that the one I was a member of didn't take any of my money. They did stop my monthly drafts.

Heather Apr 20, 2009

I was a member of a Powerhouse Gym near Atlanta, GA. I left to go to Washington for the summer, and when I came back, it was closed and padlocked. I called the main number and got some story that it had closed down due to management issues. After poking around though, I found out it was due to embezzlement. I think Powerhouse Gym must be a racket running all across the country...

No Surprise Apr 20, 2009

Don't feel bad for any of the employees that stayed on without being paid. They knew perfectly well what was going on. If they had any sense, they would have walked out in January with the real staff of nazareth powerhouse. They realized then and there what a joke Michael Leone is.

• Ve
    Very Upset Ex Gym Member Apr 20, 2009

I'm going to do my best to tell friends, family, co-workers and strangers about the scam Michael Leone is pulling. He has the poorest business ethics I've seen in the Lehigh Valley. He is dishonest and does not hold true to his word. DO NOT JOIN THIS GYM!!!

Concerned Citizen Apr 20, 2009

I saw that the gym had a sign out at their Rt. 248 location that they are selling treadmills and elipticals. I called and the treadmills are $2500 and the elipticals are $1300. Not sure what type of warranty they come with. They have to get the paperwork out to see what is left on the warranty. The equipment is approx. 1 year old. I hope they are not selling the equipment that has been sitting outside for days at these prices!

Concerned Citizen Apr 18, 2009

WFMZ-69 News did run a story at 10:00pm last night. Here is the link to view the story online. http://wfmz.com/view/?id=790969&title=People%20Not%20So%20Pumped%20about%20Nazareth%20Powerhouse%20Gym. He's the first one to admit that he doesn't blame anyone for not being happy. Yeah right. Then why isn't he working with people. Instead he tells story after story.

Jaime Apr 18, 2009

i got a call from him and a woman named dana, they said they wanted to talk to me, but i didn't get the messages until 11:30pm last night, and they called around 4...bummer!! did they run a show??? let me know!

Concerned Citizen Apr 17, 2009

I received a call from Bo Koltnow from 69 News informing me that he will be running a story on the gym tonight (04/17/09) at 10:00pm. Tune in!

Jaime Apr 17, 2009

i just emailed wfmz. hopefully they'll do a story on this and expose it for what it is - fraud!

Concerned Citizen Apr 17, 2009

I've contacted WFMZ-Channel 69 News and asked them to do a story. I spoke with Jamasyn Hyde. She said she would let me know if they get any more information and if they can do a story. Maybe if more people e-mail they'll run a story. Just go to www.wfmz.com and send in a news tip. They'll get back to you via e-mail or phone within a few days. I also e-mailed NBC10 Investigators but I haven't heard from them. I've canceled my membership but I did drive by the two new locations and they look very inadequate.

• Sk
    skozar Apr 16, 2009

We paid upfront for a two person membership. We spoke several times with the owner and he told me he would reopen. The new and improved place was off of 22 and 191, what a joke. My girlfriend went there and she was afraid that the second level floor would collapse during their workout class. There were also no doors on the one side and equipment was thrown all together. This place was then closed by the township. We went to the new place that just opened and it had to bath rooms, no lockers, it was horrible. I would be ashamed if I was the owner.

annoyed Apr 16, 2009

I saw we all start writing to Channel 69 news in Allentown...maybe they'd do a story.

annoyed Apr 15, 2009

Pathetic---
    If the contract is void due to the non-comparable facilities, how do I get ABC Financial to stop trying to charge my credit card? They told me if I didn't pay, they would send my account to collections and it would go on my credit report.

• Pa
    Pathetic Apr 15, 2009

I was by the 191 location yesterday at 4:00 PM. Closed! I was by the Bath location this morning at 6:00 AM. Closed! These "openings" are simply a ploy to try to say "we are open". These locations are not a comparable facility. This alone voids a contract. I suggest everyone file a complaint with the PA Attorney Generals office Bureau of Consumer Affairs. You can easily find it online via a google search. They will pursue action with enough complaints. Likewise, they are well beyond the 30 day closing allowed. Everyone's contract is void at this point. Check the Health Club Act on the attorney generals page.

Jaime Apr 15, 2009

Lee & Susie - I paid the same amount, and I was only there a month. I can't believe he thinks he can charge that amount to cancel the contracts! I don't understand why he doesn't just put his tail between his legs and do the right thing...I think we would all respect him more for that.
    I sent a certified cancellation letter to him...we'll see what, if anything, happens. I'm not going to hold my breath, though.

• Ha
    hates this gym Apr 15, 2009

I stopped by the Rt. 191 gym last night about 6:45pm and it was closed. Mr. Leone...you've yet again lied to all of us.

• Le
    Lee & Susie Apr 14, 2009

Well, well our new gym has finally opened...my boyfriend went to the "191" location on Monday. This is not a "gym". It' some sort of mini-rehab. Today (Tuesday) the two of us went to the "248" location. Now you have to understand it used to be a Curves location prior, meaning it is only a medium size room. Now in this room there was scattered about weights and some weights machines. Not all that was in the Nazareth location mind you. Remember all the treadmills and elipticals? Well there are now two of each, side by side facing the wall. A few excersise balls, two TV's sat on the floor, let's not forget about the water cooler.So he can make more money off you by charging for the water. NO LOCKER ROOMS. As you weave an bob around the room, I mean litterly because you have to squeeze by everything to get to anything, you will find two tiny bathrooms. Let's not forget to mention that Mr. Fraud(Leone) was there to greet us, so he could lie right to our faces. He told us that the main gym would be opening in two to three weeks. "LIAR"... I took pictures with my cell phone before leaving.

I asked to cancell our contracts and he said "OK"!!! BUT our contract was for 24 months @ $10/month prepaid. To cancel he was going to charge the "normal" rate of $39.95/month for the months we used the gym. NO WAY will we accept that offer.

Im not sure what to do next - but this is not over by any means!!!

• Ni
    nicegirl228 Apr 14, 2009

I went to the Rt. 191 facility today. The rehab clinic is only for "personal training" sessions. Not a work out location. You can confirm this if you go onto the powerhouse website and get their phone number. They state that in the message. They say you do not need an appointment but when I was there no one was even present. I will be visiting the other facility tommorrow since I drove an hour between both places to see if they were even open. MORE MIS INFORMATION. I would also like to know if anyone went to the "acctual" gym yet. Very disappointed becuase they are both out of the way for me.

• Wa
    wants the old gym back Apr 14, 2009

I stopped by the Rt191 location yesterday after work. I walked in and asked the girl at the front desk if that was where the new gym was located. She said "Well, we have equipment you can use." Oh, I though Nazareth Powerhouse Gym was merging with you? "I'm not sure but you can use our equipment." Some answer. So appartently Quest employees don't even know. Then I asked if anyone from the gym was there to talk to. Mr. Leone himself was there and said, Yeah, I'm here. Well, who are you? Mr. Leone. I proceeded to explain that due to the new hours, not opening til 8am, I can no longer come before work and I'm getting a second job so I can't go at night and would have to cancel my membership. He told me he could do anything that day and I would have to go to the Bath location today and bring my contract with me. So that led me to believe that he doesn't even have copies of the contracts anymore (maybe that's what was in the filing cabinet left in the parking lot). So how can he enforce any contracts if he doesnt' have a copy??? Needless to say, I'm NOT wasting my time driving there when he may be a no show. I will send a letter to the Nazareth address and fax a copy to ABC financial so they stop trying to steal money for him. I didn't look inside at the equipment but there's no way more than 5 people could be there at once...it's way too small. And what happens when the rehab patients come? Who takes precedent with the equipment??? One more thing...did anyone else notice the phone call said these were temporary locations? I had to listen to it 6 times before I understood everything.

Jaime Apr 14, 2009

has anyone checked out either of these two "new" facilities???

Concerned Citizen Apr 10, 2009

You can reach Mike Leone by calling [protected] M-F 11:00am - 5:00pm. He's answered everytime I've called. He may be "babysitting his gradson" or "watching Jerry Springer which he's getting sick of". He told me to send a letter of cancellation to 859 Nazareth Pike, Nazareth, PA 18064 which is their original location. Supposedly, the mail is being forwarded somewhere. I sent it First Class with a Certificate of Mailing to prove that I sent it. If you already file a complaint online with the Attorney General's office I don't think you have to file another one. I've also canceled my debit card so that no more money is taken out of my bank account. I've been in contact with WFMZ-Channel 69 News. Hopefully, they will be putting a story on soon to get to the bottom of this and let everyone know what is going on. I hope they do it before he opens somewhere else and more people fall victim.

• Ye
    yes me Apr 09, 2009

oh dear what will we do now

• Ye
    yes me Apr 09, 2009

what it s closed<

• St
    stupidpeoplestink Apr 09, 2009

Thanks Sandy..I will try sending a letter there! While I was out tonight (Hubby didn't tell me until like 5 minutes ago...lol), I did receive a call from the gym and it stated they merged with some Rehabilition of Bethlehem (Not quite sure if that is the exact name). Says membership fees are now $25.00 per month. Here is my question, if they are going to fight letting us out of our contract how can they raise the price? SO sick of this...I just want this to be over. Should have gone to Gold's Gym!

Sandy Apr 09, 2009

The address I used was
    Nazareth Powerhouse Gym and Fitness Center
    4063 Unit B Nazareth Pike
    Bethlehem, PA 180120
    Mr. Leone received my letter, but still has not given me my money back (I only belonged to the gym for 2 months and paid for 1 year upfront) The phone message said to call the 1-866 number for more information, but it was Quest telling me I was calling after hours. Just when I thought it could not get any more ridiculous...

• St
    stupidpeoplestink Apr 09, 2009

I didn't get a call...what a shock but seriously if they are opening in the old Jungle Fun location near Sears...that place is SMALL. There is no way they can fit everything in there comfortably. Whatever. Sam...I don't know what address or I would have sent something by now. I did however use their 191 (by the Giant in Nazareth) address for my complaints.
    As for under new management...that is fine and dandy however if Leone is still the manager I want nothing to do with it.

• Ka
    KAT Apr 09, 2009

Also received a phone call and the recording took me by surprise and I missed the phone # at the end Did you get it? and where on 248 is the supposed location???KAT