National Attorney Collection AgencyHarrassment/abuse of the FDCA

I had taken out a loan at CheckSmart in Tucson AZ. I had been paying on it for several months at an extremely high interest rate. I'm on SSDI, have no other source of income or assets. My medical expenses got to high to afford to continue paying them. After several harrassing phone calls, I hand delivered a Letter which I have confirmation from the local Tucson Office that it was faxed to the main office on 10/12. Today I get a phone call from National Attorney Collection Services stating before they proceed with legal action which will cost me triple the amount of the loan, attorney fees, court costs, filing fees interest, they wanted me to make a settlement offer. This is in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act and I know have grounds to sue them. Don't let them fool you, just because they go by the name of National Attorney, they in fact are not. They wouldn't even give me the name of the Managing Partner of the law firm, because they are not one.

• Bo
    boom8490 Feb 20, 2011

I have been harassed by Checksmart for the last six weeks. I owe them money for their Insight Card and they refuse partial payment. They call my home 30 times a day and they even call me at work even though they have received a cease and desist letter. One representative went as far as to complain about me to my employers while pretending to be a customer and got me in trouble. I have reported them to the FTC and the State Attorney General's office. I am paying them what I can until I get them paid off. For the love of God, do not use these people. They are gangsters and their business is taking a hit at least in Ohio. The word is spreading and people are staying away. Pretty soon the new Governor will shut them down. Good riddance.

• Lu
    lucy p Mar 09, 2011

i have been receiving calls from them also saying that if i dont pay them they are going to sue me but this collection is back on september of 2006. i asked for them to give me the attorneys license number and name they refused and hung up on me. wont even send me a written letter from there office stating that they are going to sue me for not paying

• Da
    Dandy Apr 02, 2011

I had taken out a loan at Check Smart in Tucson AZ. I had been paying on it for several months at an extremely high interest rate. I’m on ssdi, have no other source of income or assets. My medical expenses got to high to afford to continue paying them. After several harassing phone calls, I hand delivered a Letter which I have confirmation from the local Tucson Office that it was faxed to the main office on 10/12.

This is in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Act and I know have grounds to sue them. Don’t let them fool you, just because they go by the name of National Attorney, they in fact are not. They wouldn’t even give me the name of the Managing Partner of the law firm, because they are not one.

• Sw
    Sweetdee707 Nov 05, 2011

I received calls from them as well. Stating that I was gonna be supboenad... I paid the 300.00 to California Check cashing corporate office 3 weeks prior and told them this and gave conf#. Today they call me at work( after being told not to call) Madison Wells from there was rude and threatening. I hung up and she called back 6x and she even tried to go as far as making a dr appt..I then confronted her for this harassment and she tried to call back and complain about how rude I was.. HUH! I called back to corporate and explained what just happened and he called NATIONAL ATTORNEYS and apparently she was reprimanded! I can't believe this company is still in business! I am following thru with filing a complaint with FTC and attorneys general office.

sarahwho Jun 29, 2012

I have been HARASSED, but only because I am someone's "REFERENCE"! What the heck??? I told them to STOP calling me, but they don't - what does someone do in my case?