Napa Auto PartsBait and switch fraud

C

My story takes place in Cave Junction, Oregon...

Recently I went to NAPA auto parts to get a part for my car, as I normally do when I need a part. They didn't have the part in stock and needed to order it. The price I was quoted was $36.

I went back the next day to pick up my part and a different did clerk said it would be $49. I told him what I was quoted and he basically said "tough nuggets". He finally did agree to "split the difference" and 'only' charge me $42. Since I needed the part now I paid and went away disgruntled. If that was all, it would have been bad enough. But it gets worse...

When I picked up my new part I forgot to bring in the 'core'. I said I'd bring it in after I did the repair. When I finished I put the core in a plastic grocery bag and went back to NAPA to get my $35 core charge back.

When I got there the same clerk told me that without the original box I couldn't get my money back. He said he needed something with the part number on it. I showed him my receipt, which had the part # on it, but it wasn't good enough for him. I told him I discarded the box and that I wanted my money. He flat refused and said I was 'SOL'. At this time I went off.

After some rather choice colorful words describing what I thought about him, his "policies" and his customer service he still refused. In the end I told him that he'd better call the cops because I wasn't leaving without my money. That must've done it. He reached into his till and grabbed $35. He shoved it at me and said "Here, take your damned money and don't ever come back". I told him that there wasn't the slightest risk I'd patronize them again.

• Bp
    bpd402 Jan 22, 2012

How would a customer know whether it is a corporate store or an independent owner? With a NAPA sign outside, NAPA gets the glory and NAPA gets the bad press! I ordered a part using NAPAonline.com but when I got to the store I was told they would not honor the price I was given online as the store employee said he felt it was too low. When I showed the employee a copy of my online order, he said that NAPA doesn't tell them what prices to sell their parts and that he would be calling them and telling them so. I drove 20 miles(one way) to pick up this part and had to pay the extra amount. It sure looks like bait and switch to me. I'm not sure if it is the fault of the NAPA store in Belfast Maine or the online store but it is all NAPA to me. Which I won't be going back to again. I strongly urge everyone to avoid napaonline.com.

• Bl
    BlueAndGold Mar 06, 2011

Not sure what Dejay is talking about.

NAPA asks for the box because the manufactures require it from them. It is the same at every aftermarket company nowadays. Gone are the good old days where all the cores just got tossed in a barrel.

I am also not sure where you shopped, if it was a NAPA corporate store that has set policies to follow, or an independent location that can do pretty much whatever they want? Any NAPA I have been to would have known you just bought it there and ordered a new box for it (which probably takes weeks to get). No, they can't just toss it in any box with a picture.

The best policy would have been to remind you when you bought the part and paid for the core that it needed to come back in the box.

Not sure on the price thing. I do know that any corporately owned store manager that supported price manuevering like that would be written up if not fired.

• De
    dejayjustice Dec 03, 2010

As a x-manager for napa in Columbia, sc I can say the reason the price was different was different was because you got price jacked..most napa managers and employees will jack the prices to make monthly bonuses..my DM promoted it...as far as taking the part without the box...he could've taken the core back with out the box also..as long as he could get another box and take a picture...or make a copy of the barcode with part number and put it on the box..the DC or warehouse will take it...I've done it lots of times...napa and the gpc corp is a numbers driven company..if they break a bunch of eggs along the way...no bog deal...dj

• Ba
    BADABINGBABY Aug 10, 2010

WAS THIS YOUR FIRST TIME DEALING WITH A CORE? NAPA IS NOT THE ONLY PARTS STORE WITH THAT POLICY. CORES ARE RETURNED IN THE BOX SO THE WAREHOUSE HAS THE PART NUMBER AND THE STORE HAS A RECORD OF THEIR CORES. SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU SHOULD HAVE RETURNED HOME AND GOT THE BOX, BUT THEN THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN TO EASY. IT'S MUCH EASIER TO BUMP YOUR GUMS TO SOMEONE WHO WAS JUST DOING THEIR JOB. WOULD HAVE BEEN COOL TO HEAR THE COUNTERMAN SHOVED THAT CORE UP YOUR A**!