My Free TravelBogus Rebate Offers

To whom it may concern:

When I called the 800 number to inquire about signing up for Dish Network service, I was actually connected to a company called saveology.com. The gentleman explained that if I signed up for Dish Network I would receive $300 in either gas or grocery rebates. I did sign up for the service in May. I chose grocery rebates. In the beginning of August I sent in my required $100 in receipts from Safeway grocery store. I was then emailed that I was disqualified from the program for not sending in a photo of my driver's license (??!!) I objected to that requirement in this day of identity theft (besides which I didn't see the point of asking for a copy of my license), but did it anyway. On September 30 I phoned to see what had happened to my August rebate. I was told that it takes 4-6 weeks to "process" the rebate request. I asked if there would be any other issues barring me from getting me my card. I was told that the only other issues were incorrect amounts on receipts and incorrect coupons.

I phoned again today to see what happened to my card and was told I was disqualified from the program because my grocery receipts included such non-edible items as paper towels, shampoo etc. To every complaint I made to "My Free Travel" and "Saveology.com", I was met with the same litany "You didn't read the terms and conditions you agreed to to receive the rebate." Apparently one of the terms is that your $100 dollars can only count toward edible items. WHAT POSSIBLE DIFFERENCE CAN THIS MAKE? The terms and conditions are clearly designed to deny as many people as possible their rebate card based on ridiculous and meaningless terms. (Imagine the trouble an elderly or disabled person would have trying to navigate this process).

I have been doing business on the web for many years now with reputable companies such as Netflix, Amazon, Macy's, Williams-Sonoma etc. I have never once in all this time had a problem until now. These are my conclusions from this experience:

Dish Network should not use saveology.com as their promotional company.

Saveology.com should not refer anyone to My Free Travel. The whole point of their "terms and conditions" is stealing from the public, otherwise there would be no point in making a distinction in exactly what you can buy from the store to count towards your rebate.

Because of this experience, I have learned that you cannot expect the businesses you deal with to be honest and reasonable. They make the print as small and complicated as they possibly can, and then they take your money.

Needles to say each company has lost a customer for life and I will do my absolute best to be sure everyone I know realizes that they should stay far away from anything involving the Dish Network, My Free Travel and Saveology.com.

Sincerely yours,

Sandra McIlvaine

• Gr
    Groutchy Ole Crankshaft Nov 03, 2009

Today I filed a compalint with the BBB in Illinois re: My Free Travel and their very convoluted grocery and gasoline rebate programs. I suggest everyone do the same...it only takes about 10 minutes. I was persuaded by a promotion at Rothman Furniture. The sales associate told me it was easy (evidently she never dealt with My Free Travel), all I had to do to get the rebate cards was send in receipts on a monthly basis. Sure, I wish it was that easy. I have now submitted three months worth of receipts and have yet to see a $25 Visa rebate card. Rothman Furniture claims they have done nothing wrong...probably not...just got into bed with the wrong party. You will not convince me they didn't know of the troubles with My Free Travel.

• Ni
    NicoleMFT Nov 12, 2009

Anyone that is experiencing any difficulties with their rebate, please contact me. I would be happy to help and assist you in anyway that I can. I can be reached Monday thru Friday, 9 am to 5 pm cst, at [protected] ext. 129. If I am unavailable, please leave a detailed message and I will return your call within 48 hours. You can also contact me directly at [email protected]

Sincerely,

Nicole
    My Free Travel

RebatesSTINK Nov 16, 2009

I TOTALLY AGREE with Groutchy Ole Crankshaft, I TOO WAS TAKEN IN AND RIPPED OFF !!! I made a purchase at BENS FURNITURE in Port Huron Michigan. The furniture was over $2, 000. but we were offered the gas and grocery rebates of $500. with the total of $1, 000. tHE "REBATES" sounded toooo gooood to be true which it was.
    Just like Groutchy we had to jump through multiple hoops to even get qualified for the rebates each one was denied and then reinstated to be again disqualified for yet another reason. I have sent in my $ 100. in receipts for both gas and grocery for three months straight and HAVE NOT SEEN EVEN ONE $ 25. REBATE CARD. The customer service stinks !!! If you can even get through you are placed on hold for ever I have waited as long as 45 minutes for a response and then you are told that the rebated has been processed and waiting to be sent or is still be processed. CAN ANY ONE HELP US THAT HAVE LOST ON THESE REBATES ???? STILL WAITING IN MICHIGAN (KATHY)

• Ya
    YacketyYack Nov 18, 2009

Haven't had any luck either so far.

Bought from Rothman Furntiure.

Previous rebate company went bankrupt (the company Rothman chose).

My Free Travel has been a joke to say the least. Cashed my registration check, then had no record of my registration. Then I had to send my cancelled check to them via fax. Still haven't received a rebate card from August. September was denied and still trying to get that sorted out. In my opinion, they are not playing by all the terms and conditons that I HAD to agree with. So far they are 0 for 3 and have struck out in my book.

Calling the customer service number has gotten better though so let's make it 1 for 4.

Good luck everyone, it sounds like we need it.

• Sh
    Sharp cookie Nov 22, 2009

I filed a complaint with the BBB in Chicago, I purchased a washer and dryer from Young's Appliance in Glen Ellyn, IL. This merchant said tough luck. I could have purchased the appliances at a dozen other stores, and received free delivery and other discounts. I am out my $10.00 initial registration fee for My Free Travel. The certificates only cost the merchant about $15 to $29 dollars. The merchant should hold responsibly on behalf of his/her customers. I am also filing a complaint with the Illinois attorney general office. Luckily, I kept the newspaper ad that advertised the $500 in free groceries promo. It is false advertising and possibly bait and switch.

• 1g
    1GenuineGuy Nov 23, 2009

Following is an email received from MyFreeTravel, which indicates bankruptcy ...

Dear My Free Travel Customer:
    My Free Travel has operated a successful travel business for the past twenty-two years. We have successfully helped millions of consumers reach their travel destinations in an efficient and cost-effective manner, and while doing so, we have brought a tremendous amount of happiness to all of our customers during these past twenty-two years. During the last five years, we also implemented a rebate program that has enabled consumers to submit receipts in exchange for Visa Gift Cards that could be used at their discretion.
    Unfortunately, a rebate company that also managed rebate programs went out of business, and as a result of them leaving customers stranded, My Free Travel "stepped up to the plate" and offered to replace those "broken" rebate certificates at no cost to the end consumer.
    While our intentions were good, we could not have anticipated the unprecedented volume, and as a result, there were many, many more redemptions than we had planned for. This caused infrastructure stresses resulting in our inability to process the receipts as timely as we had promised. Customers had extraordinary wait times and we were delayed on following through on many of the promises we had made.
    This letter provides some solutions that we've developed to resolve the problems, about which we feel terrible, but which we want to make right for our customers.
    Listed here are three options which you may chose from by emailing us at [email protected] or by mailing this letter to our Marketing Center at PO Box 1494, Plainfield, IL 60544.
    Option One: Due to the delays noted above, we cannot accurately predict when your next rebate card will be sent to you, but we hope to send all rebate cards within the next twelve to sixteen weeks. Please note that it may take longer, but if you agree to wait by selecting this option, please do so knowing that you will eventually receive your promised Visa cards, although their delivery will be significantly delayed.
    Option Two: View the Lifetime Travel Book to see a copy of our Lifetime Travel Book. This book has a savings of over $15, 000 in travel offers, and is being offered to you at no cost in exchange for forfeiting the balance due on your rebate program. By selecting this option, you understand that your rebate certificate will be voided, and a Lifetime Travel Book, with over $15, 000 in value, will be mailed to you within ten days. The offers in this book do not expire and can be used by you and your family. Offers include 2 for 1 airfare, 2 for 1 cruises, complimentary hotel and resort stays and much more.
    Option Three: View the Savings Bucks Book to see a copy of a SavingsBucks Book. This book grants you access to over 120, 000 local & national coupons, plus includes $500 in SavingsBucks that may be used to get steep discounts at 10, 000+ restaurants, over 12, 000 name brand products, plus savings on hotel stays, gift cards, and more. This book is being offered to you at no cost in exchange for forfeiting the balance due on your rebate program. By selecting this option, you understand that your rebate certificate will be voided, and a SavingsBucks Book will be mailed to you within ten days.
    My Free Travel is committed to giving you a product that provides you with the kind of value that you expect. Please provide the serial number on your rebate certificate, and tell us which option you select in the section below. Then, email or mail us with that information, so that we can act on the option you have selected.
    Sincerely,

Your Rebate Certificate Serial Number:

Your Option (Option One, Two, or Three):

• Ni
    Nita Martin Dec 04, 2009

I registered last August for $500.00 in gasoline, and followed all the regulation guidelines, including a check for $9.95. I was able to print out $25.00/month gas rebate coupons, and sent in September 2017 all my original receipts as well as all the info on the coupons. To this date, I have received nothing! What's worse is every time I try to call, I'm put on permanent hold. What is with this company? And I thought they were members of the Better Business Bureau!

RebateVictim Dec 04, 2009

very very upset with that kind of companies.

RebateVictim Dec 04, 2009

No gift cards will arrive. I received an email that said my free travel is out of business. They offer you to trade with other certificate junks. I bought the certificate on ebay ($$ out) + the registration fee (more $) = $0 rebate

RebateVictim Dec 04, 2009

Option one two or three?
    you pay more for whatever fees if you pick option 2. read carefully, there are large fees and/or 90 min tour (presentation) you have to attend in order to get hotel room on non-block out dates. Plus you time and stamps to mail out several forms and deposits.
    option 3 is just like cashsaver restaurant junk certificate.

• Ho
    Hoop Jumper Dec 04, 2009

When is there going to be some legal action here!!! Specifically, the business that sold us this crap should be held accountable, then maybe they will do something to MFT?

Justlovely Jan 06, 2010

I signed up with Audio Vision a retailer for dish network. in nov. 09 They had a promotion for new customers. The promotion was a contract for 2 yrs $24.99 a month for the first yr and $39.99 for the second year. They also were doing a rebate offer thru My Free Travel. The rebate offer states I will be collecting $25 a month for 20 months. Thats a total of $500! It states that the offer expires 10/31/10 I sent my rebate form along with a check for $9.95 on 11/7/09 I waited excately a month and I hadnt heard from them. I called them on 12/7/09 they stated they hadnt received my form. They stated I should first sign up online and print out the form and send it along with $4.50 check. So I resent it again on 12/7/09 Its been a month and I still havent heard from them. So I call them this morning and they are out of business. It states on their recording that my free travel are unable to honor any rebates redeemed on or after 12/1/09 due to an extremely high response rate to the program. So I have the right to get my money back! I sent out my form twice! Plus this is fake advertising! The offer shouldnt had expired til 10/31/10 I sent my first offer back on 11/7/09! I have the right to get my grocery rebate visa card every month!! Can someone tell me what too doo?? Please???

• Pa
    parthemore Jan 07, 2010

If you have a complaint, I called that insurance company! (Thanks yellowsun). They are owned by AIG (you know, the one we all own now). Send all info you have (copy of voucher, check, contact info, etc.) to

Attn: Dudley @ AIG
    FAX: [protected]

They currently have a legal team working on this.

Or fill out a form at www.illinoisattorneygeneral.com

• Cj
    CJS0854 Jan 07, 2010

I purchased $300 worth of Rebates for Fuel at Hess gas stations for $25 plus $10 processing fee. I have sent in all receipts for October, November and December. Each Rebate is worth $25. I haven't received anything so I called December 28th and there was a recording that they were closed for the holiday. I just called again and the recording says they are out of business - there were too many requests and they didn't have enough money to cover it. They were going to try to process anything submitted by December 1st, 2017. Just another ripoff of consumers trying to get by - and the gas stations are raising prices every day! There's no integrity left in the US!

• Wi
    WIcheesehead77 Jan 08, 2010

I have the SAME problem!!!
    A local furnature store was offering the promotion - buy $600 or more in furnature and recieve a certificate for $600 in gas rebates from "My Free Travel". THe $600 is payable in$25/month over 2 years... you just have to pay a $9.95 registration fee and send in $100 in gas rebates each month (from the same brand of gas)... so...

I never recieved my $25 visa gift cards... I submitted reciepts from Aug, sept, oct, nov and Dec... So I finally called last night.. and got a voice recording saying -- due to insufficient funds - they could not honor rebates any longer.

Apparently "My Free Travel" went bankrupt, and had business insurance thru AIG -- but did not pay their premium -- so everyone is SOL. I found that some people recieved one $25 gift cert - but nothing afterwords.. Others... Nothing...
    So businesses that promoted this rebate program are out thousands of dollars - where did it all go?
    I'll never buy into anything like this again!

Judy Lynne Jan 11, 2010

At first I was registered with groceryB&Z, then gas rebate.net (because B&Z went under), now I was supposedly registered with Claim Your visa cards.com (because gas rebate is no more), yet all being sent to the same address under My Free Travel in Joliet, Il. After all this and $9.95 to each, I have received one $25 visa card. This is truly a scam and I want to be included in some class action suit if there is one. I tried to get my local ABC news station out of NY to help, but they weren't interested apparently. This was $500 promised to me and I am really annoyed!

Judy Lynne Jan 11, 2010

My story is the same...started with B&Z grocery, which went under and then I was told to reregister with gas rebate.net, which went under and now was directed to re register with claim your visa cards, and to send $9.95 in twice, one for gas rebates and one for grocery rebates. Apparently this scam has been going on for some time. I received ONE $25.00 gift card, and now I out of the rest of the $500.00 promised to me by Allstate Gutters in NJ. Anyone starting a class action suit???

• Qa
    qanne Jan 11, 2010

Me too...only I never received even 1 Visa card!!! Ugh.

make them pay Jan 11, 2010

Yes I too have been ripped off by these criminals. They owe us money and we need to do whatever it takes to get that money and make them pay. A class action lawsuit is the best way to go. Lets do this!

• Ki
    kimtony123 Jan 14, 2010

I received through a company I did business as an added bonus a 300 grocery rebate. I followed the instrucions to the letter and being a dumb dumb enclosed the 9.95 check they promised to refund on the 1st grocery rebate. I was wondering where my rebate was an found the compaint board on the scam. Web site says they will not honor anything after december 1, 2017. They cased the check! I should have been more pro-active, but was desperate for the extra 300 in grocery's at Christmas, I didnt investigate. I think they should have to honor their terms. Somebody made a lot of money with the 9.95 checks.

madinStLouis Jan 31, 2010

When making a purchase from Air Comfort Services in St. Louis, Missouri, I also received an offer for $500 in rebates (with each $100 spent at designated grocery store). I sent my $9.95 in July, and eventually, received my first VISA card that did also include the $9.95 reimbursement. I continued to send grocery receipts for September, October, November and December. When my December submission was returned to sender as "Company moved, no forwarding address" I went on the website and saw the notice that they are not honoring any submissions after December 1st. So, where are my rebates for submissions prior to December 1st? I went to Air Comfort, explaining I made the descision to purchase from them because, ultimately, my purchase would be $500 less than it would somewhere else and that I expect to receive the $475 still owed me. They are offering to reimburse any of their customers who signed up with Grocery Rebates a refund of the $9.95 processing fee and a 2017 Entertainment Book. That's crazy! The Entertainment Book costs $25 to purchase!!! Where do I go from here?

• Rh
    Rhondamkl Feb 15, 2010

I have been ripped off as well and I never received 1 Visa Card but they have my $9.95 money order. I would love the create a Class Action suit against these people.

• St
    stevebostic Mar 30, 2010

UPDATE: Newest phone number for Steve Horwitz is [protected]. EXT 301 IS HIS DIRECT EXTENSION. He now runs Vacation Consultants International and is registerd in IL as a sexual offender with a minor.

• Ww
    www.nomorerebatescams.webs.com May 28, 2010

Please go to http://www.nomorerebatescams.webs.com/
    for the full story about the My Free Travel rebate scam. You can also go to http://cbs2chicago.com/local/rebates.fraud.Dorothy.2.1721754.html for video on the scam.

• Ww
    www.nomorerebatescams.webs.com May 28, 2010

Please go to http://www.nomorerebatescams.webs.com/

Comments

• Sc
    scott 332 Jun 23, 2010

I received the $500 rebate from ALRO Heating and Cooling, who I ultimately went with due to the $500 extra discount. The first letter I sent was returned. Turns out they went out of business. I also was offered an entertainment book from ALRO. What a joke. I hear other people in forums joining a class action suit against the parent company. I say the A/C company is also to blame as they took this risk. I was thinking of filing a suit against the local company for $500. What do you think? It is the principle of the matter.