MusicNotes.comMusic licensing gone wild

L

This is another RIAA scam - only now they are seriously ripping off anyone who wants to actually learn the songs.

The software is free. It's actually pretty good. But you are screwed unless you buy the actual MP3 - ON TOP of purchasing the MusicNotes product.

For your $6.95, you will get a midi version of the song you choose (if they even have it), along with sheet music and a program that shows you what notes to play - sort of.

There are a bunch of rules that go along with this paid crapware. Like - and get this - only one person can use the purchased song at a time? WTF?!?

For REAL giggles, check out their "Free" offerings (most of which are long since expired)

Notice anything?

Yeah, that's the same "Old MacDonald" song that you sang in kindergarten. Too bad you missed out on it when it was a free download huh? GMAFB

Lame.

The software is free, and it's alright. It ran well on my computer so I'm not going to trash it. But the limitations are effin' stupid. Nevermind the fact that they don't even include the actual stinking song - even though they are charging (nearly) a full album price for what you do get! AVOID - IT'S A SCAM.

• Vo
    VoiceOfReason86 May 08, 2010

Musicnotes.com never claims to sell an .mp3 quality recording. They sell sheet music. And because they need permission to do that, and the composer/songwriter gets a cut of the proceeds, it costs something. And as pianist who has bought many sheets of music, I can say that it's not that expensive. Especially when taking into consideration that you can transpose a lot of the music before you buy it, which does not raise the cost.

It's not a scam, it's just not free. Not sure why you feel entitled to free things. Everything costs something.

• Re
    renard11 Dec 17, 2010

Here is my two cents on Musicnotes and guitar guru the software works fine, and everything is fine until your computer crashes or your files get corrupted, eventhough you have paid for these they will not help you recover even when your account and their records indicate that you have paid for the songs. They have zero customer service, I have e-mailed them twice and never got a response, so buyer beware

• Av
    AvidConsumer Feb 19, 2011

MS Security Essentials found "Open Candy" Adware in the downloaded file: "http://installs.musicnotes.com/musicnotesSuite.exe". Just say NO!

• Je
    jem7 May 21, 2011

You can only print to paper. Can't even print to pdf. Many people are all digital these days, and these folks are stuck in the dark ages. Wish now I hadn't bothered. All I wanted was simple chords to a worship song, and if the artist is going to make it this difficult we'll just not use his music in the future. Plenty of other artists and great music without having to jump through ridiculous hoops.

• Pa
    Patrick T Barrett Aug 19, 2011

I purchased some music scores under username [email protected] with one password from my laptop computer then some months later pupchased another score under the same username with a different password using the same laptop. On attempting to use the scores purchased erlier the system advised that I would only be able to view the first pages as it was unsure that I was one and the same person. I was asked to verify my ID and when I did I was now only able to play the first page of the newest download. I believe this is unfair. I would like to have this corrected...I should be free to change my password and still have access to the mucic sheets I purchased. I am also unable to store my scores on CD as a backup in the event my computer crashes.