Metro Self StorageStolen Items From Storage Unit

I had a storage unit at this site for 4 years -- 3.5 years longer than expected. I was always on time with my payments until Fall 2010, when things got tight. I kept in touch with the property manager to let her know that as soon as I could I would bring account current and vacate the unit.

On 2/11/11, my lock was sawed off, Metro's lock and seal placed on my unit. On 2/15/11, a certified letter was sent to me, stating contents of unit were to be auctioned. On 2/19/11, I paid balance of $415 via telephone with debit card. On 2/25/11, my son & I went to this unit to clear it out. The property manager removed seal, opened lock, and I found over half my items missing. Remaining boxes had been opened and moved to the right side of unit. A police report was filed and investigated through Douglas County Sheriff's office.

Metro Storage's district manager would not accept my complaint, presuming employee's innocence, especially since I had no proof of what I had stored in that unit and the digital images taken of the unit when the lock was sawed off matched what I found. The investigator had to subpoena the records to continue any investigation, but again, with no proof of what I knew was in there, we hit a dead end. I asked the district manager for a refund of my money, stating that the items left didn't amount to balance owed. He refused.

On 3/22/11, my son & roommate attended the auction where my unit would have been included. They reported that the three units auctioned were in a similar state, all stacked to one side of each unit, and picked over.

A word of warning: if you have a storage unit with any self-storage facility, maintain photographic (and dated) records each time you visit.

Stolen Items From Storage Unit

• Tb
    TBruce Apr 11, 2011

• Jk
    JKDE Mar 30, 2011

A better word of warning:
    If you have a storage unit with any self-storage facility, pay your rental fees on time.