Meridian Business Salesscam company avoid

S Review updated:

This company cold called me and said they can sell my business. I stupidly payed them £1000 for advertising it i was promised the world. After 18 months of not hearing anything at all i thought i was ok to sign with another agent. unfortunately they are now billing me full fees for breach of contract and was told if i had tried cancelling with them it was at a cost off £1995 but i had chose not to pay there withdrawal fee (i was completely unaware of such charges). i feel completely lied to let down and ripped. I ask how can a company get away with pretending to sell businesses but in reality only want money upfront and then sue for not selling.

More Meridian Business Sales Complaints & Reviews

Johnellis Jan 14, 2020

I finally managed to get Meridian off my back. Ended up paying 3.5 K
    My solicitor has confirmed they accepted it as full and final settlement so they had a total of 5K for doing absolutely nothing.
    I asked previously for a VAT invoice and my solicitor has requested same. I don't hold much hope of getting one as I suspect they are not declaring payments on vat return.
    Otherwise why are they avoiding sending paid invoice receipts.
    Why don't we have them investigated by customs and excise?
    Dreadful experience on top of all I've been through.

Johnellis Aug 12, 2019

I was selling a b& b business and cold called by them prior to signing a contract with them in2014. My wife unexpectedly became ill with secondary bone cancer only a few short months after signing.
    I was my wife's carer for 4 years and we ceased operating the b&b soon after she became ill.
    During the 4 years Meridian didn't put forward a single enquiry.
    I was also diagnosed with cancer and had to balance the difficult task of caring for my wife whilst ferrying between Anglesey and the Royal Marsden in London.
    In 2018 I decided to move into a retirement complex and sell our home to finance the purchase. It was mainly through my doctors recommendations that I ended my decision.
    I contacted Meridian and was told I needed to buy out of my contract with them even though it was for 12 months.
    I paid them 1900 pounds and they pointed out that under the contract I couldn't enter into negotiations for 2 months after the agreed termination date.
    I stuck religiously to the dates and sold the house through Purple Bricks and moved into a retirement complex.
    My wife deadly passed away 6 weeks after moving in.
    Now 14 months later I have been sent an invoice for 9000 pounds because they claim I negotiated the sale during the 2 months after termination.
    This is despite the fact it is totally untrue.
    I question why a company which boasts of what it will accomplish couldn't put forward a single enquiry in 4 years are able to carry on trading when they show no concern or regard for their clients.
    I am now seeking legal advice and collating evidence to show that my purchaser had no prior dealings wit Meridian and only enquired about the property after the 2 months period.
    These people are best avoided at all costs and the sooner they are officially investigated for their misconduct the better.

Johnellis Nov 17, 2020

@lisalou84 I've no doubt that this coming are taking full advantage of the current economic climate in respect of Covid19 situation.
    Hence the reason why phone is not being answered.
    If they are corresponding with you during this time then they will very likely contravening strict Covid19 rules.
    I suggest you correspond with them and ask them to confirm if they are continuing to operate their business as normal.
    Then involve trading standards.
    Stay resolute and point out that you are aware of many instances of their unscrupulous past dealings with clients.
    Also that you suspect false accounting on their part and ask for VAT receipts for any monies you have already paid.
    I suspect that they will choose to ignore your request and you can follow up by requesting a copy of audited accounts showing your payment and the relevant tax declaration.
    I am as sure as I can be that this company are sailing very close to the wind in all aspects of their operations.
    Question every aspect of what they promised and insist they provide written evidence of how your business has been marketed.
    I hope the day will come when this company cease to operate.
    Finally if it helps be assured that they will accept an offer at some stage and it's a matter of minimizing this in your favor. Try not to be flustered and read everything over and over.
    Avoid answering anything with regards to the signed contract and ask them why the sales person insisted you initial specific parts of the contract.
    Good luck
    John

• Li
    lisalou84 Nov 17, 2020

@Johnellis Hi any advice they never answer their phones

Johnellis Aug 20, 2020

@GunnerG The impression I got was that they are a small corrupt company and the director is a qualified solicitor.
    I have a friend who is a retired judge who was a great help.
    We made a strong point about the lack of input from a selling perspective and I am sure Meridian operate through internet only basis.
    They have no incentive to sell as the contact is set up in such a way that it is always guaranteed they will recover some if not all of their fees.
    I also feel that threats of litigation are a way of extortion and any offer of settlement is considered a safer option by them.
    I have strong suspicions that they are not paying full vat on monies coming in.
    Why else are they not sending out vat receipts.
    Perhaps a mention of the fact that you are in conversation with previous clients of theirs and knowledge of them not being provided vat receipts despite solicitor request may make them nervous.
    At some stage you will most likely have to make a miserly offer.
    My solicitor did consider making an application to have the proprietor disbarred before they agreed full and final settlement.
    Good luck
    John

• Gu
    GunnerG Aug 20, 2020

@Johnellis Hello,
    I'm having the same problem with these crooks, can you advise how you got out of contract please.
    Regards,
    Glenn

chris-euro Nov 26, 2019

@Johnellis Good Luck & please keep us all posted of the outcome...Chris x

Johnellis Nov 25, 2019

@chris-euro Hi thanks for your reply.
    My case is ongoing and Meridian just persist with assumptions rather than concrete evidence. They must be the most despicable people you could ever wish to come across. I would love to meet the person running this scam company.

chris-euro Nov 25, 2019

@Johnellis dear johnellis i feel very sad about the fact you have fallen into meridians trap like i did, i have contacted all sorts of people who tell me there contract is water tight & i should have read it before signing it. but cleverly the rep did not explain anything to me .i just hope like you that they will come to book very soon...Chris Euro

• Ga
    Gasman1955 Jul 01, 2019

We have been with them for 12 months during which time we have more than halved their suggested selling, despite this they have only generated one enquiry which led nowhere.

chris-euro May 24, 2018

i have looked at the out come of some of the people who meridian have taken to court & the juge has said `you should have read through the contract before you signed` but cleverly the rep does not want you to do that because if you understood the contract chapter & verse there is no way you would ever sign it, who wants their property for sale for god knows how long .if you look at Meridians `tweet adverts` free to them i might add, you can see business`s
    for sale going back to the year 2014, i have contacted some of them & they are in a right pickle, some are bankrupt because of Meridian...Chris -euro

• Sv
    Svaughan May 24, 2018

I was unfortunate enough to have fell for this scam to. I used a different agent who sold my business i am more intrigued where the write up on this company is. And what happened at the end of your investigation. I have sold through an alternative company but curiosity due to hard feelings draws me into what has happened at of all this ?

chris-euro May 23, 2018

thats just what i have done Mikpel just to get them out of my hair, but i will have my day sometime with them. chris_euro

• Mi
    Mikpel May 22, 2018

I have had experience with this set of unprofessional unethical characters.Had to get solicitor onto them as they wanted £10, 000 pound eventually gave them £1000.I would have fought them all the way to court and made them pay all costs but my wife felt intimidated.

• Gu
    GunnerG Aug 20, 2020

@Mikpel Hello,
    Regards,
    Glenn

• En
    Enquirer Apr 04, 2018

PS Steve, I am sending my colleague's case on this company to Radio 4's You and Yours so it would be very helpful to have your story.

Thank you.

chris-euro Apr 11, 2018

@Enquirer you can use my story if you like its on this site...Chris -euro

• En
    Enquirer Apr 04, 2018

Hi Steve,

Can you let me have an email address so I can contact you? I am investigating this company...

• Ni
    Nick11111 Nov 29, 2020

@Enquirer On 15th December at 1030am there is a small claims case of harassment against Meridian with a Declaration asking that the written alleged contract is void as the rep wiped it out and did not let the customer read the terms but stated the terms as discussed by the rep and customer, for which the customer paid £480 upon verbal contract being concluded. The case is at Manchester County Court, Bridge St West, M60 9DJ, case no: 113MC867, Tony Adams-v- Meridian Sales Ltd. It is open to the public so feel free to pop along. I am representing Tony; while Richard Roberts, alleged legal manager and solicitor ? Is representing the company.

• Li
    lisalou84 Nov 17, 2020

@Enquirer Are you still investigating this company

• Ga
    Gasman1955 Jul 01, 2019

@Enquirer Are you still investigating this company? As we have been totally conned by them.