Meridian Business Sales Boltonthe sale of my business

C Feb 13, 2020

We had a cold call from meridian asking if they could sell our business & as it happened we were ready to sell as I am retiring after being here for thirty six years [a small village garage] so when their rep called to our office with all his paperwork & brought out the agreement/contract for us to sign, we did at this stage tell the rep we only wanted to advertise for one year only & he replied "this place will sell with in six months" & said no more so when I saw 52 weeks on his contract I did not press him further & I signed under the 52 weeks... & also paid up front £ 828. After the twelve months had passed & had only 3 people come to look I emailed meridian to say thanks for their efforts & expected to walk away but was flabbergasted to learn that if I wanted to terminate early I would have to pay them £1, 995 plus vat so really I was £3, 000 down the pan.
Now my complaint is that he misled about the duration of the contract & by not explaining to me about the dark side of contract in the event of them not selling my business but it doesn't end there if you end your contract & sell it to someone else they will come out of the wood work & still demand a payment. It does not take too much working out why they have such a contract. Now even the property ombudsman booklet which the rep dropped on to my desk said meridian was registered with was no good to me because meridian were only residential registered I wonder why? When their business is 80% selling businesses [another deception by the rep]
So that stopped me from getting help from an independent body, the ombudsman suggested I contact meridians internal complaints but I fail to see that a complaints officer employed by meridian can have an unbiased approach as we know where his loyalties will lie
But I think I have found a [censored] in their armour there is no vat to be charged on early termination. I have it from the horse's mouth from the local vat offices & if they try to make me pay vat I am going to make it my business to write to oxford/bolton & manchester vat offices just in case my letter starts to gather dust in one of their in trays & report them.. The vat people can go back seven years you know.
So to conclude if there is anyone out there reading this beware of meridians
Sole selling rights watertight contract... Chris-euro

• Updated by chris-euro · Feb 13, 2020

I have managed to contact about 20 people who have fallen fowl of meridians contract most of them signed because them thought like me it would only last one year. so they are held to ransom by meridian to have their business`s in limbo because they cant afford to pay meridian what they demand so they cant move on some of them are bankrupt.
    For me I just didn`t expect this for someone who come`s & say they will sell my business & then they fail & have the audacity to charge you for not selling your business. I cant see that the powers that be can let this go on.
    I have contacted watch dog but had no response. but I will never give up, it just needs the word in the right ear.
    I can tell you meridian will be sick of the sound of my name in the end... the pen is mightyer than the sword... chris-euro

More Meridian Business Sales Bolton Complaints & Reviews

• Li
    lisalou84 Nov 17, 2020

hi i am trying to get more information around this as my dad has fallen for this scam

• Ni
    Nick11111 Dec 01, 2020

@lisalou84 As I wrote last week. I am representing Tony Adams in an legal action at Manchester County Court against Meridian. The trail is on Tuesday 15th Dec 20 at 1030 am and will last two hours. Feel free to attend. The address is: Civil Justice Centre, 1 Bridge St West, Manchester, M60 9DJ.
    The action is for harassment per Protection from Harassment Act 1997 with damages at £50. The grounds being that Tony rescinded the alleged written contract, see below, in Dec 2019 after Richard Roberts, their employee and solicitor ? E-mailed Tony that they "have no information as to whether Tony handed a cheque to Whitcomb, their rep., before or after of after signing the purported agreement", which was produced after talking about football and Whitcomb was leaving. Whitcomb did not give Tony the opportunity to read the terms.
    The actual contract itself is a verbal contract as Tony's shop was going to be demolished, but demolition has now been postponed. The verbal agreement was that the contract could be cancelled with one months written notice given in 2017.
    Harassment is where Meridian's conduct has occured on at least two occasions, and notice has been given to cease. It must be targeted at the individual by demand for payment; it must be calculated to cause distress, which if viewed objectively Meridian's conduct is unreasonable and oppressive. I will argue by stating that Meridian will not pursue court action against Tony and continue to send out monthly demands for payment is oppressive and unreasonable. Their solicitor and employee Richard Roberts has not made a counterclaim. If you want further info contact Tony direct by phoning : [protected] or e-mail : < [email protected] >.