Mercury Claims And Assistance Of Wisconsininsurance boondoogle

M

I was unable to stay at the hotel I booked because I was treated in the New Isaland Hospital emergency room for a kidney stone. I was in the emergency room for 10 hours and left sedated from the pain killers I received intraveiniously. The insurance was for $113. I have a bill for $3100 listing of all of the tests. Copies of the prescription Dr. Carlisi prescibed, and the kidney stone that I pass after taking the medication. The original insurance request only stated that the cancellation had to be for a medical reason.

The insurance claim form requested.
My medical history disclosure (past, present and future)
A doctors evaluation form from the emergency room Doctor.

I am willing to submit
All of their other forms
A copy of my bill for my 10 hour stay in the emergency room.

I am not willing to share my life medical history. I am not willing to spend hours of my time and the emergency room physicians time for a claim of $113.

I am asking for my $113 reimbursement based on the fact that the hospital stay was on the same day as my hotel reservation.

I am asking for you to no longer use Mercury Claims and assistance of Wisonsin, because they are unreasonably requesting too much information for too small a claim.

My claim number is 953980.
I spoke to Mercury's supervisor Terry Flaig
My Hospital bill for the date of my hotel booking is attached

insurance boondoogle

• Cb
    cbarney12 Oct 02, 2009

We purchased plane tickets through priceline along with travel insurance through Mercury (as suggested by the ticketing agent). I became pregnant, but was still planning on traveling. The week we were to leave, I began having complications with the pregnancy, and instructed by my physician not to travel due to threat of miscarriage. We canceled our trip and submitted all required information to Mercury as instructed by them. After waiting 5 weeks, we were denied because I was 'not hospitalized'. No where in the travel insurance policy we received at the time of insurance purchase does it mention anything about hospitalization. We are attempting to get reimbursed for the tickets we purchased, which were over $1, 200. I was directly instructed by my doctor not to travel, because there was a chance that I could lose my baby. It took the company weeks to reply to my claim, and after I was denied took them days to return my phone calls, emails, and faxes. They were anything but helpful.

I think it is ridiculous that they not honor your request for reimbursement of $113. If possible, you should pursue this with small claims court.

I would like to know the percentage of claims that Mercury Insurance does honor. I think this company is run by crooks and should be shut down.

• Ke
    kenm Oct 12, 2009

I too was denied a claim I made with Mecury. I was in an accident on July 10th, bought my ticket on July 12th and symptoms arose w week later. I was not hospitalized, nor did I have any symptoms at the time of the accident. My "manifestation" of preventing symptoms came long after the incident, but it also came after I purchased the ticket.

I'm going to fight it. I feel they owe me. This is why I purchased the insurance.

• Ed
    eddie229 Oct 26, 2009

I too am being denied through Mercury, I have a son who had complications arise due to needing a second kidney transplant. He was hospitalized in intensive care for over five weeks, therefore I missed my flight. I submitted all required documentation including a doctors note. The sad part is the reimbursement is only about 75.00 dollars, but it is the principle of the matter.

• Em
    EMS123 Nov 06, 2009

On January 27th I booked a stay at the Radison Hotel in Providence RI. for the weekend of February 14th for my husband and I. Confirmation #______. I purchased travel insurance just in case. On February 11th my uncle, my mother’s brother passed away. On February 12th I contacted Priceline.com to cancel our trip, the agent I spoke with instructed me to contact AIG for cancellation insurance. I called AIG and spoke with an agent there, who asked me for the reason of canceling my trip, I told him that they were personal, family matters. He said “such as.” I told him that my uncle died and he said: “that’s what I wanted to hear.” For a moment lets set aside the inappropriateness and the insensitivity of that statement, what exactly is the point of purchasing vacation insurance if you must have a “sufficient reason” for canceling a vacation? Is it your position that your customers buy cancellation insurance to purposefully cancel their trip? Do you think it is reasonable for you to assume that your customers buy travel cancellation insurance because they believe that in the off-chance that something were to come up, the insurance would cover them? But as it turns out, your company does not operate that way at all. In fact you mislead your customers into purchasing an insurance policy and then when these customers are confronted with a situation that makes them cancel their travel plans you begin to judge whether or not they had a “valid” reason for canceling. So what other excuses are valid? Would the death of my dog be “valid”? Would work project that interferes with my vacation? Would job loss? And by the way, who decides what’ a valid excuse? And how does this great and wise person come to such decision?
    Well as it turned out, for AIG the death of my uncle was a favorable outcome, but for Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin, L.L.C., to whom AIG sold my policy to, my uncle does not register at all. As it turns out Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin, L.L.C. does not feel that uncles are family members and therefore their death, however tragic or untimely does not deserve their attention.
    The way I understand this scheme is Priceline.com lures people into buying bogus insurance policies and Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin, L.L.C. is more than happy to deny claims. In my “We’re sorry to inform you” letter, Mercury tries to explain to me how my uncle is not good enough of a relative, but where was this explanation when I was buying the policy? They mislead us and they defraud us and Priceline.com assists them. I am disgusted and appalled by this callous disregard for customer care. I will never use priceline.com and I will make sure that none of my friends or relatives do either. I will also submit formal complaints against AIG and Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin, L.L.C. for unfair and deceptive practices. These companies are out of control and they need to account for their actions, enough is enough.

• Rd
    rds45 Nov 10, 2009

DO NOT USE Mercury Claims and Assistance of Wisconsin, LLC. They are a scam. I am surprised that Priceline would have an arrangement with a company like this. They denied my policy without basis, and after reading the other posts, I am beginning to think that this is pretty common for them.

• Go
    golflite Aug 19, 2010

I too was denied a claim. We were supposed to fly to Moscow and cancelled due to the State of Emergency from wildfires and smog where hundreds of people were hospitalized every day. Mercury stated that since my travel flights took place, my claim was denied.
    Travelocity should be ashamed to be affiliated with such a weakly performing company.
    Travelocity should step up to the plate and offer real cancellation plans the same way AAA does, and claims are refunded with minimal hassle. Stop damaging your brand with poor performance by Mercury.

• Ba
    Barndog1 Aug 20, 2010

My claim was denied because my mother was already in the hospital for a cancer surgery. I did not cancel the trip because of the cancer, I cancelled because her lung collapsed the day before my trip. The doctor's statement clearly said that the collapsed lung occurred the day before my trip. I pointed out to Mercury that the statement said that, but they want a doctor's letter saying it again. I have a second claim pending that I was told will probably be denied as well. I was called home from a trip because my mother developed pneumonia while I was gone. Because they looked into her history, they saw she had pneumonia in the past and I guess their medical experts decided that she continued to have it and therefore it was an existing condition at the time I was on the trip. The process took weeks. I am sure that since I have been unable to get my mother's signature on the second claim's Consent to Release Medical Information form, they will find a reason to deny that claim too. I attached a copy of her death certificate, maybe that will explain why I couldn't get all of their requested documents.