Mercantila.comScam artists!!

I ordered two "Oakland Living Mississippi Bar Stool Set of 2 - Fast FREE FedEx Shipping!" at a 'sale' price of $361.59. (In other words, I ordered four chairs total). My credit card was charged immediately, but I did receive one box of two chairs a week or so later. Upon opening that box, one of the cast metal chair sides had a broken leg. I have called (at least four times), attempted to contact someone via email, and have emailed pictures of the broken chair as well as have asked for the second box of my order to be sent. NOTHING has been done, although I have been told repeatedly that someone would be contacting me - usually 'tomorrow'. My credit card company has refunded me 1/2 of my original charge after I filed a dispute, and has agreed to refund the remainder to me after I document to them that I have returned the set of two I did receive.
Basically, I got one usable chair, paid for four, and now will be out of pocket for the cost of returning two heavy cast aluminum chairs from the East Coast to California!! This company should not be allowed to operate any Internet sales.

Scam artists!!

• Bu
    BurnME Dec 09, 2009

Mercatila.com is an online retailer for many products. They do not stand behind their 110% price guarantee. Do not let them fool you with their apparent customer service. I attempted to cancel my purchase one day after placing the order and they didn't respond for four days. Once they called me back they told me the shipment went out the day prior so it was too late to cancel. They said if I refused the order they would still charge me the shipping costs even though shipping was free for the item bought.

In attempting to get the price match guarantee (found for $70 less from another online retailer), they never returned my calls nor responded to my emails.

STAY AWAY from this retailer - I've found more dependable people on Ebay!

jay braun Dec 21, 2009

BEWARE! On 12/1 we purchased an item from Mercantila.com that was to ship by Christmas. Within minutes, we received an email that the item would be delayed until 1/12. We immediately emailed to cancel, and then spent the next 48 hours trying to reach customer service to cancel by phone. No one picks up the phone at customer service. That is when we discovered the numerous complaints at the BBB, and we called our credit card company to discover we had already been billed, despite our cancellation, and despite the item not being shipped yet.

On 12/2 Sal from Mercantila.com emailed that a refund would be forthcoming within 10 business days. Well, here we are on 12/21, and no refund has come. Meanwhile, the website still shows our account purchase as active and ready to ship on 1/12. We filed a BBB complaint and discovered that this company has a history of failing to provide promised refunds.

Do not purchase anything thru this company!

Mercantila Dec 28, 2009

Hello,

My name is Kelly, a Customer Service Manager at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience that you have had with Mercantila. I know that you are frustrated and I wish that it could have been resolved in a more timely manner. We are making many changes to create an improved customer experience, including ensuring we ship all products on-time, respond to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center and providing them with tools and training to help customers such as yourself.

Regarding your order, I'm truly sorry that your requests for information went unanswered. Hopefully you've received your items by now, but I encourage you to reply back to [email protected] and provide some more details about your experience so we can figure out what went wrong with your order and prevent it from happening to other customers.

I hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies. We are doing everything possible to ensure that this does not happen again. We appreciate the feedback so we can address these issues and move forward.

Kelly

• St
    Starij Jan 08, 2010

Recently ordered recumbent bike; delivered by fed-ex without my signature. I returned it next day as it was an obviously used bike (scratches on part I saw and carton indicated damage. I didn't remove from carton, wrote a letter attached to package and sent it back through fed-ex the next day. According to Art-(staff member) It was received at a Georgia distribution plant. They never sent an order confirmation. I couldn't use their site to send messages. I rarely could talk to a real person except Art. Every barrier was put up to prevent them from sending refund. They are a fraudulent company. Don't order anything from this company. I spent hours on wait to get to talk to someone.

• Ra
    Ravero Jan 11, 2010

Watch out, consumers! If there was ever a company that defined "scam artists, " it's Mercantila.

Back in March 2017 I ordered a platform bed from them. It arrived with a cracked headboard & footboard. Took me THREE MONTHS to get my money back & to get the piece of crap bed out of my house (do you know what it's like to have to store a damaged queen-sized bed in an apartment?? It was almost worse than being out $600!)

Literally the MOST AGGRAVATING EXPERIENCE of my entire life. Absolutely not worth it, and I will NEVER shop with them again. In fact, I have made it a point to tell anyone who will listen NOT TO SHOP WITH MERCANTILA.

The unfortunate part is that Mercantila is basically a shell company operating a lot of smaller, targeted websites. I purchased from the Platform Bed Superstore, and had no idea I was purchasing from Mercantila until it was too late. HOW DOES A COMPANY GET AWAY WITH THIS BEHAVIOR FOR FIVE YEARS?? Well, if it's Mercantila, they do it by operating these smaller websites. If you were to research the Platform Bed Superstore, for example, I am certain you'd find no poor reviews. It makes them almost impervious to all of these terrible reviews, because someone who is about to make a purchase will not necessarily know that they are dealing with Mercantila until AFTER they buy. Somebody should really put a stop to their business practices... revoke their business license, or something. They are CROOKS.

• Th
    TheBroke Jan 22, 2010

I've purchased two things now from Mercantila. The first was a coffee table. Was a smooth transaction, the box it came in was beat up so bad that I could see into the box. Luckily nothing was damaged, so i built it and it works fine, a little bent, but works fine.

Now, onto the issue. I found a table I wanted to purchase, the website didn't state the dimensions, so I called and doubled checked that everything on the website was correct. The lady I spoke with confirmed dimensions and price, so I placed the online order. I gave plenty of time for the table to arrive before christmas time, as I was expecting a full house, and needed the larger table. It was processed through their system, and eventually I get a tracking number. The box arrives on 12/20/09, and it's two random stools. The shipping lable had the correct order number, but the packing item was not correct.. I contacted the company, who said I had to file an issue via the website. I contacted Fed-Ex and refused the packed, so they picked it up and sent it back to sender. I waited 48hrs and no response, so I called Mercantila again. They said they would have the appropriate person e-mail me back. I asked to speak with someone but they said it was not possible, that they will only communicate via e-mail. So about 2hrs later I got an e-mail saying that They will either credit me back $150 and I could keep the chairs (Which I had told them were already on their way back, had even given them the return order #), pay them $400 more to get the table I actually ordered, or get a refund. I was fine with the refund, but I really needed the table for the company I was going to have. I didn't want the refund, I wanted the table I ordered on their website, which I had confirmed with them was correct. I will not do business again with them, which is a shame, as the coffee table I purchased was a great price.

Their ticketing system is miserable, no way to talk to the actual seller, and response time is not what they state (24hrs)

I've submitted a complaint with the BBB, CASE#: 57158876. I've gotten two responses from them, both the exact same.

I've also submitted a report with the Federal Bureau of Investigation reguarding internet fraud, more specifically the bate-and-switch.

I've yet to get any response where they are willing to solve the issue.

Mero Feb 04, 2010

I purchased a Bed based upon the picture they had posted on the website. It turns out they had the incorrect stock number associated with that picture. Of course I received the wrong bed, not to mention I have not received the remainder of the order--which is fine because I am having extreme difficulty getting them to take back the incorrect bed and it would just be more items I would have to send back. fDo not buy from this company--fraudulent in my opinion. I now have the wrong bed boxed up and waiting waiting waiting to be sent back. I have to get an authorization before I can send back.

They will not communicate or if they do, they send a stupid response. Warning---do not buy from this company. The only recourse you will have is if you bought with a credit card and you dispute the charge--which is another hassle.

• Da
    Dallen Apr 07, 2010

This has been the WORST buying experience I have EVER experienced. I purchased two seperate items and after 45 days still had not received them. After REPEATED phone calls and Emails, I still was told nothing. I cancelled both transactions and then after a week and a half later, had to threaten to call PayPal and BBB before I received one of the refunds. After two weeks of cancelling and not receiving the second refund, I filed a claim through PayPal on a Friday; Monday I had my refund via PayPal. Thank goodness I had paid for the items through PayPal.

• Gl
    Glasgren Jun 24, 2010

I order a trampoline from one company. The order was placed with Mercantila. It was ordered on the 5th of June. Delivery date was the 17th of July, 5 weeks yet they took the money out of the account immeditaely.Tried for 2 days to cancel the order. There web page where they send you will not work and you cannot reach them on the phone. After 2 days of being on hold for over an hour I was told that I could cancel and it would take 3 to 4 business days to put the money back in my account which was taken out weeks before the product shipped. DO NOT DO BUSINESS with this company they are a huge rip off!!!

• Br
    Brian123 Jun 22, 2011

I ordered a Wolf Latex plush Futon Mattress, and it claimed to have a foam core and the picture and description showed it and stated it. However, when I received the product, it was under-stuffed with cotton or fiber and did not have any visible foam in the mattress, which cost me ~$320 on my credit card. After further inspection, I did find some foam in the mattress, but it is thin and not prominent like shown on the website. The mattress, after only two weeks, has flattened and hurt my back as well as my wife's. Once I inspected the product and made the discovery that the product I received did not conform to the product described on their website, I spoke to a customer service agent. The result was the company would not refund my money to-date. Supposedly, they have a 30 day money back guarantee, but their policy is not to allow returns on mattresses. I wish I had known that up-front, but the writing was hidden through various links. I felt totally ripped off! DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY BUYING THROUGH MERCANTILA.COM . Even if you have to pay more money, go through a more reputable web merchant, you might pay a bit more, but you'll get what you ordered and have less of a headache. This company has a C+ rating with the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU with 971 complaints, last time I checked. Additionally, I created a negative product review and tried to post-it, but apparently, they are only posting up positive reviews on their site for this product. SO, BEWARE.

Mercantila Jun 03, 2016

Hello Everse,

My name is Kelly. I oversee Customer Service at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with Mercantila. I know you are frustrated, and I wish your concern had been resolved satisfactorily in a more timely manner.

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution and confirmation of your cancellation. If you would please reply back to esc[email protected] I will personally ensure that your refund is completed and your issues are resolved.

More broadly, I am working with my team to make many changes to improve our customer experience. Our priorities are ensuring we ship all products on-time, responding to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center, and providing our agents with better tools and training so they can assist customers with problems like yours much more quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of me and my entire team. We take your feedback very much to heart, and we are doing everything possible to ensure this does not happen again.

Kelly

• Ev
    Everse Jun 03, 2016

This has been the most frustrating online experience ever! We placed an order on Dec 2nd with the assurance that the product was in inventory and that it would be shipped in 3-5 days. It is now Dec 22nd and no product. Attempt to call and find out status only results in staying on the line about 50 minutes on three separate occasions - still no luck. I cancelled today and will buy the product locally. I can now only imagine the hassle in getting a credit.

• Wy
    Wyway Jun 03, 2016

I canceled an order and was promised a refund in 2 to 6 days, well that's past. I called 3 times and each time they had an excuse. Sounds like they are giving me the run around.

• Ki
    Kiorpake Jun 03, 2016

Do NOT deal with this etailer!!! Or its associated site Zoostores.com for that matter, which is the original site I thought I was dealing with. I purchased an item for over $700.00, was charged immediately on 11/9/12, and was told I would receive the item no later than 12/3/12. First, reputable etailers do not charge your credit card until they ship. Second, it is now 12/30/12 and I have not received the item nor a credit. Mercantila reps acknowledged weeks ago that the shipment was lost, and promised by e-mail that the billing department would issue a credit. That was 2 weeks ago, and still no credit. I will now have to dispute through my credit card company. Horrible communication, e-mail replies are painfully slow and produce no action. I don't know what type of confused conglomerate is behind these websites, but I highly advise steering clear!!

• Pl
    Plesser Jun 03, 2016

Received damasged goods. Promised a $335 credit. Never got it. On phone waitng more than 30 minutes each time. Do not bother ordering anything with this company. Goods look fine but customer service is the worst. They need to be banned from web ordering.

• Ko
    Koblat Jun 03, 2016

Still waiting 3 months later on replacement parts for damaged goods . They truly dont care and they have a magnificent system for completely separating themselves from cutomers .. Finely just repaired thedamage to the bunk beds and will have a constent reminder of this fine institution...

• Ho
    Holmer Jun 03, 2016

I ordered a stroller, never got it, no refund yet after a month. I should have read the reviews of this awful company before giving them any business. Check out the nearly 800 complaints to the Better Business Bureau.