McCoy ConceptsSan Miguel Oasis Project is a Scam

Almost finding ourselves to be one of numerous victims of the Cozumel San Miguel Oasis scam, I have decided to dedicate efforts to warn as many people as possible against Ric McCoy, and try to provide blogs for the countless who have already been scammed to tell their stories. Below is my story, but please visit my post at:

for more details, helpful links, and to follow my story to find out how I am going to defeat this organization and make sure they don't scam anyone else. Luckily, we were able to stop with very little losses which we now know that we will never get back. But in our research we found others that were scammed in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

In June 2008 my wife and I stayed at nice small beach villa in Cozumel, Mexico. We expressed interest to our dive shop operator to own a villa similar to the one we stayed in and they suggested that we talk with Ric McCoy a builder from the US. Now the dive shop wishes they never mentioned McCoy's name, and they warn everyone to stay away from him.

We made it clear that we wanted beach front property and we did not want to walk from town to get to the beach. The builder, Ric McCoy told us that San Miguel Oasis would be perfect for us; that they have partnership with several hotels directly across the street and several beach clubs for unrestricted access to the beach. He was very convincing that there are no small beach front properties available for our size, which is not true, and we can own a condo for a fraction of the cost. He also said that his rental company Cozumel Luxury Rentals will rent the villa 40 weeks out of the year and they will manage the whole process, and we will get a sizable monthly check after all expenses.

Given that my wife and I are both lawyers, we pledged to ourselves not to sign anything on the spot and go back to the states and do our due diligence before making any decisions. The first hint of trouble we got, before we left the island, we walked across the street to several of the hotels, and that's were we uncovered the first lie he told us. None of the hotels had agreements, for access, as a matter of fact one of the managers was angry that we were there even there asking the question.

Soon after we got back to the states, we spent several hours researching Ric McCoy and McCoy Concepts on the Internet, we found very little. There was no warnings. The second hint of trouble we got was from Dunn and Bradstreet where his US company was listed with 2 employees and income of $170, 000.

Stay tuned for more... we reached our limit for this post
Jim Baumgardner
Portland, Oregon
USA

CozumelDiver Aug 27, 2009

As an owner at San Miguel Oasis, I am quite surprised that you actually thought a HOTEL would give you, a private homeowner "rights" and water access. Clearly, you have not been coming to Cozumel for long if you thought that to be the truth. As avid divers, that would be an impossibility for any hotel to deliver on. That being said, some of the hotels DO have agreements with several local dive ops and therefore we are able to provide pier access for our divers if they dive with these particular dive ops. There is also 3 places I can think of for pick up in addition to using the hotel piers with their house dive ops.

If you made it clear for "beach-front" property, then WHY would you look at San Miguel Oasis which is clearly, , clearly across the street??

You betcha we have some issues here and I am not one bit happy about it. Not one bit. But your post makes little sense. Sorry. Doing your "due diligence" would require much more that what you wrote. If you didn't come here for a few years, spend ample time on the island and speak with a local real estate professional, a Mexican attorney and a notario, then I would have to scoff at your idea of "diligence". I would suggest you spell out SPECIFICALLY just what you lost in order for us to better understand you.

Cozumel Writer Sep 26, 2009

Dearest Cozumel Diver,
    Are you the defender of Ric McCoy? I see your posts all over the internet, trying to get the record straight. This post is about warning new buyers about dealing with a twisted sick developer. I hope you are not the same breed as him. We have enough trouble with arrogant developers in the States that have lost their pre-sales and pre-construction buyers millions. I see unfinished buildings all over the place, don't blame the economy, an honest good developer knows how to navigate bad economies and get their projects done by communicating and working with the owners.

If you want to talk facts why don't start by explaining the situation with your building? why do you not have ownership? Who has title to the place? why are they still selling units that they can never build or title? Your answer is going to be... it is too complex. Well it should not be!

I am not trying to be adversarial, but you should look at some other projects in Mexico that have suffered the same fate as your project will. I am so sorry for you, it is inevitable. I hope you are one of the few lucky ones that did not pay Ric McCoy directly and you may be able to limit your losses, but your neighbors that paid him directly are going to lose millions. Please don't keep the secret.
    Read what happened to other projects in Mexico. I bet you a margarita five years from now you will be in the same situation as Punta Panda and I quote.
    "
    Rationalization is the driving force in keeping the secret. It was "in everybody's best interest" to keep it quiet. Too much talk could create a panic and destroy the project's future.
    "
    Read what happened in Punta Panda, get your head out of the sand, see the similarities, even the lawyer lost his home, and mark my words.

You and your neighbors need to be careful of your lawyers, because they are paid by McCoy. But at this point the best lawyers in Mexico cannot help you. You will be milked by both sides. Figure out how to cut you losses short. McCoy is insolvent on the island, his money is in an off-shore account and he is a flight risk or will be going to a Mexican jail soon.

Cozumel Writer 2 Sep 28, 2009

That's enough, Albert. Talk about sick, twisted developer... you are OBSESSED with this. WHY? Find something better to do with your time than trash Ric and try to scare owners with your fairy tales. Focus on fixing your own problems such as getting title for your owners in Cantil rather than inventing a new website identity and blog personalities every week to attack Ric and Oasis. Baumgardener, for example, isn't a real person; never existed, never visited Oasis, never gave a penny or signed any documents. You made him up. Period.

And by the way, is that the line you use, "it is too complex, " when the owners of El Cantil ask to close on their units and you can't produce title or a condominium regime? You had a very similar problem with the same idiot. Why were you an okay guy when Beto screwed you on title, but now Ric is a liar and thief and all of the terrible, untrue things you are accusing him of? Actually, you are accusing him of being all the things that people say about you, too.

Ric is a good guy who has done nothing wrong and stolen from no one. There is no off-shore account or plans to flee. You know that as well as I do. Why do you care what happens at Oasis and to Ric? You're certainly not just a concerned citizen.

Just shut up. Please.

• Al
    Al'bert Oct 12, 2009

Ok Ric, you are right about me. Before I shut up, I want to make clear that Ramon and Alberto Villanueva are two of the most honest businessmen in Mexico. Their integrity is unmatched on the Island.
    Al

• Da
    dawta zion Feb 20, 2010

Oh MAN, I agree bans heartedly. We all need fe love one another as Jah loves us, but when evil dwells among us, i-man need fe point him out, so de Lord kyan deliver us from him. De i-dren Ric McCoy who ran dis business is a scammer of de worst kind.

Dis i-dren McCoy treats his workers badly; he does no gi his workers deir rightful wages and steels money from de poorest of all. Richard McCoy abuses de justice system with false claims and bribes officials and opposition lawyers. Dere is no bredrin left for him on dis island, his closest workers fear him immensely, dru' deir conscious would no rest as dey know dat dey have been part of his sadistic ways, deir time with him is short, because he sheg-up his and deir reputation, and now are helpin' others cotch away from dis ya McCoy. De forgiveness of Jah and His grace and peace shall rest upon dem.

Ric McCoy does no seem fe kya who he rips off and for how much. Very few got anythin' from him after dey paid him, and dose that did got service of di poorest quality that many respectable tradesmen refused fe accept. Everybody knows dat customers are di i-man best assets. It is dem why McCoy is in business, and kyan be best references and allies. But dis i-dren McCoy badgers his customers and steels their coils.

There is a large massiVe of victims of ya evil McCoy and his woman that are lookin' for some form of earthly justice that he will no escape. Stand tallowah i bredrin, Jah light will guide us through. Blessed love fe all!

CozumelDiver2 Apr 13, 2010

Very funny. I've never seen a Mexican with a Jamaican accent before. I suppose it's possible.

Nice try. Let's stick to the facts, shall we?