Marchex Adhere β€” Scam and cheating

I got set up with this pay-per-click ad company, set my bid amounts, entered several hundred keywords, and logged off for awhile. When I came back and tried to log in, to check stats and make adjustments, the site would not let me log on. I emailed them, and they got back to me the next day saying the reason I couldn't log on was because they were reviewing my account. Okay, fine. I got back in that night, added a few more keywords, and logged off.

Went back Friday night, and again I was shut out. They only take phone calls on weekdays, and only seem to send auto replies to my emails. So I had hundreds of keywords currently running with a bid of .80 on each one, and had planned to go in after a very short time to see what was getting clicks. Now I was locked out over the entire weekend while my clicks were piling up and I had no way to get in to adjust them. Very convenient for them, huh?

I know websites can go down. But in that case, everything should have been on hold. Not the case here, as my allotted funds were completely used up during this 'outage', so the site was functioning well enough to do everything but let me log on.

Ran up $125 in clicks on experimental keywords. If I had used their 'Auto-Refill' to replenish my funds, it could have gone sky high, with me standing by helplessly, going broke because they locked me out of my account.

I'm not sure whether it's just a shoddy website run by lazy people, or if they're deliberately using this tactic to make more money from unsuspecting customers. Either way, it's a site to AVOID, because they either don't know how to run a business, or they're just plain crooked.

• Jt
    JT Nov 17, 2008

The exact same thing happened to me. I opened an account and after running up over $100 in traffic that did not convert, I tried to login to turn off the campaign but I was locked out. I requested a new password but I still could not login. I am not sure if they are having tech issue but this has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

• Ls
    LSF Aug 28, 2009

I had a sense about them which is why I only deposited $50 and no auto-refill. Now I am certain and will advise my credit card company that the charge was is contested and will demand the return of that deposit. No one should ever sign up for auto charge unless or until the company has proven to be on the level for many months. Trust no company until they prove they can be trusted. This is the age of greed and financial fraud, wake up to it.
    Lee [censored]an