Manitowoc Public Utilitiesbilled twice

M

I received a bill from MPU in August 2008 saying that they haven't received a payment from me since June of 08. I called them and said that I just paid for my most recent bill at the end of July. The person that answered the phone transfered me to someone else that had more authority and this lady told me that their records show that the last time i paid was in June and if i don't have a receipt there is nothing that they can do to help me. I would have to pay for it again even if i had already paid for it because i don't have a receipt. I never had a problem with them before so i never thought about keeping my receipts. I asked her if there is anything that she can do to track down their copy of the receipt that they gave me and she told me that there are a lot of receipts and they don't have the time to look for it. Apparently they don't keep theirs in their computer systems. They print it out and file it with all the other thousands of receipts. Anyways, she came to the conclusion that if i dont have my receipt i have to pay for it again. Which means that I would have to pay $200.00 again added to my current bill which is $194.00. This is b/s. Is there anything that i can do because i dont have my receipt. Please help.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices