Malen & Associates PCDebt Collection

I received a summons from Malen & Associates PC regarding a debt owed to The Credit Store, Inc. The summons was taped to the door of my apartment when I returned home tonight from a weekend away. It states that I need to appear in city court within Twenty or Thirty days (depending on if the letter was delivered to me in person or otherwise). The summons is dated 2/12/09 and I just received it on 3/15/09. Malen & Associates sent me a letter claiming a debt was owed by me to their client. I wrote to them disputing this debt and asking for proof of the debt. They sent me a reply stating that I owed their client money and they supplied no proof (in the form of a credit statement or my signature on an agreement with said client). Apparently they attempt to garnish wages from people. Why did they issue a summons on 2/19/09 and wait to deliver it between 3/13-15? Why did they not provide any proof that this debt was valid? They also state on the summons that this debt occurred in the county of New York and that the money was owed from 5/13/04, but I did not live in New York before that time. The summons also states that I did not object to this debt, but I did. I wrote to them disputing the debt and asking that they provide proof of the validity. What is going on?