Macy's Credit Cardmacy's ruined my credit score

A Review updated:

Macy’s Credit Card is the worst along with their customer service. Macy’s incompetent system ruined my excellent credit score because of their error. At the time that they reported “serious delinquency” on my credit, actually Macy’s owed me some money! I called their customer service and they just wanted and harassed me to send more money immediately on phone and charging me another $15.00 as transaction fee! The third time I talked to a customer service representative, she could find the error and corrected my account and promised that the debit amount in account will be sent to me promptly. Meanwhile Macy’s Collection Department sent me a letter threatening me to send my delinquency to the credit bureaus. I sent a memo via registered mail to the Macy’s collection Dept. together with the copy of my payments via Bank of America and demanded them reverse the inappropriate charges and interests and also inform the three credit bureaus in case they have inappropriately have taken any action against my credit. This is something provisioned in the law that they have to reverse erroneous reports themselves.

Not only Macy’s has failed to reverse the erroneous report and has damaged my credit score (from around 800 to 678), I have not been reimbursed for Macy’s owe me even at the time they have sent this erroneous report to the credit bureaus. I have saved Macy’s recent statement reversing all the charges and the interests, but they have failed reversing their delinquency report to the three credit bureaus. As if in Macy’s the right hand does not know what the left hand is doing. I will close my account with Macy’s as soon as I get this issue resolved and get reimbursed for what I have over paid them.

If you are or know a lawyer or class action suite against Macy’s, please contact me to provide you with the documents. My loan application to borrow money to buy home was rejected because of the low scores resulted from this erroneous report of Macy’s to the

macy's ruined my credit score

• Tk
    TKH Feb 12, 2014

I have experience the same issues with Macy's and I just discovered the reported 3 or 4 late charges on my credit report!! I have both side of the Macy's accounts set up on autodraft with my back but randomly they with fail to process a month and I get these harassing phone message and letters about non-payment only to find out it's their issue and the credit my account each time the late fee. But it doesn't get removed from my credit score. This is fraud and I want it fixed. Don't know where to start to get this cleared off my credit report?? Must pay this card off and burn it. BUt you know if you close an account that strikes against your credit report too. Your damned either way. I hate this company. Done!

Sharvari May 02, 2017

@TKH We had the same issue never received the statement. When called macys to take out late payment clause form our account. They just hang up. Its very bad service. Our both husband and wife credit score is affected just because of this stupid $23 payment. They are worst in handling credit related request and stuff. We asked them so many times. This never happened since last 8 years of service. If they can please take out that late payment thing our credit score will be back to Normal she never listened. One of the worst company to deal with.

• Aj
    Ajf50 Jul 30, 2020

@TKH This has happened to me as well. I had canceled my debit card that was connected to my Macy's card to pay my bill every month on line. I have never missed a payment. I canceled my debit card do to divorce and obtained a new debit card and #. I update my new card on line as the new default payment method also i had it set up to automatically withdraw the payment every month. The next moth i happen to look on line and i see that Macys never took my payment. So i made the payment by calling in my payment and could never make a payment online. I made several attempts to contact someone to fix this problem but because of COVID-19. I couldnt talk to the person i needed to talk to about this until May 1st when that person comes back to work. I tried again May 3rd and they say the person was still not available and is not back to work yet so in June i wanted to refinance my house and my Loan officer said Macys has repirted that i missed one payment and has ruined my credit it so bad that i could not refinance my house. I have contacted Macys 3weeks ago after talking to Loan Officer. I finally got to talk to Macys they asked if i ever got any notifications of the missed or late payment. I said, no. They asked if i was sent anything through email notifying you of the late payment. Nothing. I have a google email account. They told me to contact google to get a document from google stating that my email was never notified. I contacted google they said they dont do that and sorry good luck. Does anyone know what i can do? Please help if you know what else i can do

anonymous collectior 2014 Feb 24, 2014

The Macy's credit card agreement is online and I wish that people would read it... ignorance is no excuse. The credit card agreement can be pulled up online by typing in macys.com/service/credit/agreement

• Lo
    Lori Sep 02, 2017

@anonymous collectior 2014 They cancelled my card and could not tell me the reason why. I called customer service, fraud dept and no one could help. The next day when I had time to really pursue it with corporate, I was advised it was totally a computer glitch and never should have happened. I had been a card holder since 1994. Now I don't shop there!

anonymous collectior 2014 Feb 24, 2014

Customers chose to ruin their own credit ratings by not taking care of business in a timely manner. Customers have a misconception ;regarding automatic drafts... on their Macy's accounts and I am tired of explaining it. It's true that Macy's offers automatic payments and automatic drafts on their accounts but once that account is paid to a zero balance the automatic payment is finished. Customers are better off contacting their financial institution and doing automatic bill payments through them. As always read the fine print... and disclaimers... ignorance is no excuse.

AnnieRoad Apr 30, 2014

Macy's credit has some very dubious business practices. Twice I have set up to use their credit card because of the great discounts offered. Both times I received additional charges that were not explained to me in the store. Both times I was informed there would be no additional charges - that everything had been paid off and I had zero balance. Both times I received a bill for additional money.
    Shame on me for doing it the second time I know. Both times I complained and the charges were removed but after a struggle.
    Macy's is a great store that we use a lot but I will never, ever, ever open a credit card account there again. Very nefarious business practices indeed.

Anonymou Me May 10, 2014

I had this account through Macys for 8 years for some reason they did not send me my bills in september 2013-March 2014. They only sent a collection notice 3 months later and they destroyed my near perfect credit scores.They refused to help me a GREAT customer who paid on time for 8 years and it was over a $40 bill they destroyed my credit. After calling them several times and treated like a criminal by this horrible company, I finally got the legal help I needed. This credit company refused to take blame for not sending me my bills all they wanted was proof and my bank had it and even then they did not want to fix the problem.. These peole are BADBADBAD... I was haunted by this for months it took to fix this problem that they caused me. Stress anxiety and aggravation. DO not use this card pay it off immediatly. Just so you know.. Yes they finally removed the lates and admitted their GUILT.. Fight these SOBs

• To
    Toony Apr 09, 2015

Macys Sucks!

If you take a look at their online system for credit card management, it's not only confusing but also very misleading.

I set up the automatic payment for my account, and went away thinking everything will be taken care of, but NO! They came at me barking that I owe their some money later on! And as late as 3 months after the amount was due!

Their model is to bite customers as hard as possible, and to mislead so you pay them late fee and interest! And what's the best part? My credit score dropped from 800 to 639!

I was so surprised to see that so many people have complained the same thing, if you do a search with "macys ruining credit", oh boy, you got overwhelmingly results from google! How many more people's credit have to be ruined by Macys until they realize that that's not the way business should be done?

Please, if anybody wants to sue those arrogant and stupid people working in macy's credit department, count me in! My email address is guanxiaohua.[protected]@gmai.com. And I will be fighting until they change their business model.

Once again, Fxxk you, macys's credit department! All of you!

• Take advantages of the discounts that Macy's offer and pay off your balance in full within the first two weeks of the billing cycle. Don't charge more than you can afford to pay off in a month. If you go through financial hardship don't procrastinate... Please call us immediately... and we will work with you. Never make minimum payments on any credit card...

• Co
    Connie,Indiana Dec 08, 2015

I usually do not use my card except during the Christmas season. Last Dec. I purchased gifts and at the store I never made online purchases through Macys. Someone got my card number and made a online purchase that Macy's did not question and because of it being around the time of my purchases I didn't see it. In May there were 3 online purchases made to my card before Macy's contacted me that they had shipping addresses to. They were orders in 4 different states. The 3 plus the one in Dec. Macy's shipped out and charged my acct. There were 4 more that they caught and canceled. I sent in the paperwork for fraude and had made a few payments to make sure I wouldn't be referred to collections. I was told I would not. In July I called and was told they were still processing and I did not need to make payments and would be reimbursed. In Sept. I was being charged over $30 a month in late fees. After several calls I was told they never received my forms. I told them to close the acct. They had told me in May that they were going to but didn't. I was sent the forms again and went to my local police dept. and filed a complaint. I had the names and addresses of each shipment. sent the paperwork in again, spent countless hours on the phone with Macy's. A couple of weeks ago I received the paperwork again to fill out a 3rd time and a few days later received a bill for a new acct with a $52.00 credit. The charges were over 140.00. Now I just want them to issue a check to me for credit amt. and close this new acct. Everytime I try to call I am put on hold for over 30 minutes.

• Bi
    Bill Levesque May 05, 2016

I am a reporter with the Tampa Bay Times who is writing a story about Macy's. I am interested in speaking to anyone who has had fraudulent charges on their Macy's account and then had difficulty clearing up the charge with Macy's. I am especially interested in anyone who took a hit to their credit when Macy's reported the fraudulent amount as being unpaid by the customer. I am at [protected]. Thanks. Bill Levesque/Tampa Bay Times

Christy007 Jun 20, 2017

@Bill Levesque Bill levesque, I realize you wrote this over a year ago, but are you still looking for this? It fits the description of my situation exactly.

shannon1236 Jul 28, 2017

@Christy007 Stumbled upon this today, as I can not buy my dream home with my husband and two children because of this ONE disaster with Macys and to google I went. I can not believe the amount of people Macys has hurt!

AnneS1969 Jan 06, 2017

Macy's is a nightmare!!! I live just over the border in Canada. I drive about an hour to a Macy's store in the USA. I usually use my Macy's card for the discounts and then immediately pay the balance with my debit card. The reason is that Macy's will not allow their Canadian customers to pay their balance online and I don't want to have to make another trip down just to pay the bill. I got a bill in the mail saying I owed $3 so I drove the two hours round trip just to pay this small bill I was extremely annoyed as I was told it was paid in full on my last encounter. A month later I received another bill saying I owed $2. So I made another trip down and this time I overpaid by $5 on purpose so that I would avoid another bill for such a small amount. Then I get a statement saying I had a negative $-3 balance and a notice that I needed to pay it immediately! WHAT??!! I hate this company. They have caused such aggravation and my credit score has taken a hit over this stupidity!!! I believe the problem is that American Express has taken over the credit department at Macys.

Sharvari May 02, 2017

They are Worst with spoiling poeple credit score for there life.

• Me
    mehelp May 25, 2018

anyone doing a lawsuit for this count me in [protected]@gmail.com they are ruining my credit and refuse to fix there mistake all they do is keep transfering me to different departments