Lillian Vernon Co.Shipping Fees

*Beware* Alaska and Hawaii: Lillian Vernon Co. charges extremely excessive shipping charges to Alaska and Hawaii. As stated on their order form: any order for AK and HI must add standard shipping charges and an additional $9.99. It is also noted on the order form that these orders will ship "parcel post" which is standard cheap, slow-boat-to-China USPS delivery. On expedited delivery service, AK and HI must add standard shipping charges + 12.99 + $30.00. That's an additional $42.99! Alaska & Hawaii are two of the 50 United States serviced by the United States Postal Service and are not international deliveries...shipping should not be so high.

• Sh
    shoppersbusiness Aug 02, 2009

APO addresses. Companies are expected these days to eat these costs and offer a flat shipping fee and in this economy, they simply cannot - so they inform the consumer as you have noted "on their order form" and this company obviously has not kept that fact hidden. Nobody likes to pay high prices and or higher shipping based on weight and or zipcode but thats how it works and I really don't even fathom why this report was made.

If I read a catalog or website's shipping practice and other faq's which I do because I like to be an educated consumer thanks, I decide whether or not to shop from them - simple as that. I would not come on a complaints board and rant about what I dissagree with in as far as a companies policy...

Are you saying you paid 9.99 for shipping and they added extra unforseen charges on your card ? Because I did not see above where you said that at all in fact -

This is just someone coming on here to verbally dissagree with a certain company's written out plan of pricing for shipping to different locals.

Is that what you think a complaint board is for?

Obviously - If the company has the terms laid out and you do not agree with them, you have the option of shopping elsewhere.

I order from Lillian Vernon and many more companies with catalogs
    and like other shoppers, pay what they need me to pay to get my items to me. I understand they don't get to ship things for free.

• Al
    AlaskaGirls Sep 10, 2009

As written above: "Shipping companies such as usps ups and fedex - have different rates for business or home deliveries and also for AK and HI and APO addresses."

This is correct, however I recently ordered an item from NY to be shipped to AK. UPS quoted a $52.00 shipping fee on a 10lb parcel from NY to AK. I did not complete the transaction. Instead, I went to the UPS website and researched the cost of shipping the same parcel FROM Alaska TO New York - the same distance, the same weight, the same dimensions. Guess what? It was only $22 to ship FROM Alaska, and $30 more to ship TO Alaska. So tell me who's gouging who?

Disgusted in Alaska