LicenseStreamFailure to Deliver Service

G

I signed up for LicenseStream and could not upload photos successfully. After no responses from support, I got a few emails without solutions. (I can provide a detailed list of emails and non-responses to my support queries for LicenseStream's lawyers. Truth is my defense.)

When I threatened small-claims court action, I got another email saying they had not known of my issue (despite me having other emails proving it did).

Three weeks later, I still cannot upload photos, my account continues to have "server errors" when I attempt to do multiple tasks, not limited to uploading photos.

LicenseStream will not respond to my demands for a refund and I will be charged $75 on top of the month's payment I've already paid for LicenseStream's repeated "server errors" that are not my fault.

Here is my documentation:

AFTER LEAVING NUMEROUS MESSAGES ON LICENSESTREAM’S ONLINE “SUPPORT” FORM (AN OXYMORON IF THERE EVER WAS ONE), I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO CONTACT A LIVE PERSON BECAUSE I EMAILED THE SUPPORT TEAM BY NOT OPTING TO FILL OUT THE ONLINE FORM
From: Glenn Franco Simmons
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 8:51 PM
To: LicenseStream Technical Support
Subject: Need assistance
I have left several messages on your online question form, and I've received an email four times, I believe, telling me someone would contact me.
No one has. It's been two days, more than 48 hours.
Could someone help me?
My account is GTFS1959. I've written you from your online form.
Are you still in business?
My account says I have a pro account? Was there a problem with my payment? If so, can you tell me?
From: Jeffrey A. Shear <[protected]@licensestream.com>
To: Glenn Franco Simmons
Cc: LicenseStream Technical Support <[protected]@licensestream.com>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 6:10 PM
Subject: RE: Need assistance
Hi Glenn,
Sorry for the delayed response we have had some people displaced because of Hurricane Irene.

You have successfully registered for our site and because you chose the monthly option you have signed up for a Pro account. The pro account gives you more storage and functionality.
If you did not intent to sign up in this way please let me know and we can figure out how to get you signed up properly.
As for the certificate error we will look into that tomorrow and see why it is not displaying properly. Our site is fully secure and our certificates should be up to date.
Please reply to all so that the entire support staff sees the emails which will get you the quickest response.
Regards,
From: Glenn Franco Simmons [mailto:[protected]@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 9:16 PM
To: Jeffrey A. Shear
Cc: LicenseStream Technical Support
Subject: Re: Need assistance
Oh, gosh, I thought you were based in the Bay Area. My sincere apologies. Please get to me when you are all back to normal. I'm sorry for bothering you when you are being besieged by bad weather. That said, thank you for your email. It is much appreciated.
I intended to sign up for the pro account, but thank you for your offer to change it if I made a mistake. I just wanted to make sure my payment went through. I only had one occasion when your certificate appeared valid and that is when I put in my credit card info.
The only problem I have at the moment is uploading files. I have files as JPEGs but they are saved as Nikon Capture NX2 files because that is my default. My main question is:
1) Can I use Capture NX2 for JPEGs?
My other questions are:
2) If I can use Nikon NX2, why am I not able to upload a photo?

Please respond to more pressing needs. Now that I know there is someone on the other end, I'm content to wait for an answer given your circumstances.
Thank you, again, for your consideration.
From: Jeffrey A. Shear <[protected]@licensestream.com>
To: Glenn Franco Simmons
Cc: LicenseStream Technical Support <[protected]@licensestream.com>
Sent: Monday, August 29, 2011 7:44 PM
Subject: RE: Need assistance
Hi Glenn,
The Capture NX2 program allows you to work with Raw, Tiff or Jpeg files. Depending upon how you are saving them in your camera is most likely how Capture NX2 is saving them after edit. Currently LicenseStream accepts Jpeg and Tiff files. If you can save the files in Capture NX2 as jpegs and then upload them.
If there is still and issue or you already have jpeg images please attach one to your response so that we can see what the issue is.
Thanks,
Re: Need assistance
TO: Jeffrey A. Shear
CC:LicenseStream Technical Support
Saturday, September 3, 2011 7:33 PM
Message body
Here is the notice when I have attempted to load numerous files, JPEG and TIFF.
An Error has Occurred
We are sorry to report that an error has occured on the server and that we are unable to process your last action.
In order to better serve you, we encourage you to let us know that you received this error. Feel free to send an e-mail to LicenseStream Support ([protected]@licensestream.com) and let us know what happened.
Please be sure to include a detailed description of the action you were trying to perform when you received this error. Also, please include your username, account type, and what computer operating system (ex: Mac OS X, Vista) and web browser (ex: IE, FireFox) you were using, as this information will help us pinpoint bugs faster.
You can return to the last page you were on using your browsers back button, or you can visit another area of LicenseStream by utilizing the navigation bar above.
When Mr. Shear stopped responding, and when the LicenseStream Support Team never contacted me, despite Mr. Shear’s direction, I wrote to “support”: I received one of numerous unanswered automated responses, despite LicenseStream’s promise of contact within 24 hours on weekdays and 48 hours on weekends.
[protected]
FROM: Candice Murray
TO:[protected]@yahoo.com
Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:30 AM
Hello,

Thank you for contacting LicenseStream Support. We have received your inquiry and case # [protected] has been created. Our Support Team will reply to you within 24 hours Monday through Friday and within 48 hours on the weekends.
Just to be sure, I re-wrote Mr. Shear:
Re: Need assistance 1
TO: Jeffrey A. Shear
CC: LicenseStream Technical Support
Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:33 AM
Message body
Files still will not upload. I have used three different browsers currently up to date: IE, Firefox and Chrome.
I have tried: CaptureNX2 files saved as; regular default Windows jpegs; all sizes from 300 KB to more than 1MB.
None work. I've attached a low-resolution photo I tired today.
Could someone help me? If you are unable to assist, could you let me know when you will be available?
RE: Need assistance
FROM: Jeffrey A. Shear
TO: Glenn Franco Simmons
CC: LicenseStream Technical Support
Wednesday, September 7, 2011 7:38 AM
Hi Glenn,
Are these the full size files meaning the highest resolution you are uploading?
In general you would want the file to be bigger at least 3000 x 2000 pixels which is about 6x the file you sent.
Is Capture NX2 creating these as web images. Do you know what the images look like from the camera itself?
Thanks,
Re: Need assistance 2
Wednesday, September 7, 2011 1:08 PM
Message body
Thanks, Jeff. At first, I tried large sizes: way over 3000x2000.
I've tried uploading from Photoshop 8 "prepare for Web"; Capture NX2 with and without Nikon color profile; sizes ranging from the small one you have to one that was more than 8MB. Here is the error message that resulted from that attempted upload: ERROR 2038 on 8.35 mb file.
Today, I got farther than before. I got to the point of where it said: "Proceed to process" or something like that. I didn't screen-capture it, but I'm sure you know what I am referring to.
Capture Nx2 does not have a "Prepare for Web" function that I saw.
When I am in Photoshop, I save the Prepare for Web as a JPEG, but it allows TIFF and GIF, etc.
Here are files I just tried that made it to the "Proceed to Process" uploads.
If you can help me, I would be grateful. I am waiting for Licensestream to work before I put my artistic photos on a Livebooks site. If I had known it would take this long, I would not have gone live with my Web site.
Glenn (GTFS1959 is my Licensestream ID)
After my files still would not upload, and I continued to not only receive more LicenseStream “server errors, ” I then began to experience “broken links” on LicenseStream’s Web site. That was enough for me to call it quits with this shoddy outfit.
Re: Need assistance 1
Thursday, September 8, 2011 8:19 PM
Jeff,
The last four or five uploads, it says something like "Processing uploads." Then I wait. Then it comes up as yet another error.
Could I please get this resolved, or could you credit my credit card the full amount I joined and not charge me a cancel fee, since the problem has to be on your end? I am only asking to be canceled because of Licensestream's inability to perform its end of a contract. I am nearly two weeks into this, and nothing. I have paid; I have received nothing in return for my payment except an email every few days and then silence until I complain some more. This is not a way to run a business based on customer service.
I am willing to change whatever I need to do to meet your requirements, but you have given me none, and I have no clue as to when I'll get a response.
To this day, I have only heard from you. I have filled out "contact support" probably more than a dozen times.
With Livebooks, I get a response in 24 hours. A real response. Real answers. That work.
I'll just go with Digimarc for my photos and buy Lightroom or something and find another vendor that can accept JPEGS like Flickr, Blogspot, Panoramio, newspapers, Wikipedia, etc. I have had my photos posted throughout the world.
Only problem: Licensestream.
Please fix my problem by Saturday or give me a credit and do not charge me a cancellation fee, as my cancellation will be because of Licenstream's nonperformance and its complete inability to offer decent customer service. As yet, I have not had ONE response from "contact support, " as I stated, which is s breach of your contractual terms of 24 hours on weekdays and 48 hours on weekends. Notwithstanding the hurricane, which is an exceptional event, I realize the reason for the initial delay. But nearly two weeks later? No excuses, unless you have a larger problem you are not talking about.
Thank you for your consideration.
Attached is a Windows JPEG, which Licensestream also did not accept. And I have tried small to medium to large sizes.
Glenn
Obviously, my exasperation didn’t move Mr. Shear. I realized that I was never going to get help from LicenseStream’s support team, so I demanded a refund.
Please cancel my account
Friday, September 9, 2011 10:34 AM
Jeff,
Could you please cancel my account and refund my credit card so I don't have to go through the hassle of reporting to the bank that Licensestream failed to comply with its terms of services? I also don't want to be billed $75 since your company's virtual non-responsiveness to my appeals to support has left me no alternative. I've spent enough time trying different sizes, JPEGs, Tiffs, with Adobe, with Nikon, with Windows software to no avail. I seem to have no problem with other vendors. It's just too much of a hassle and I want to use another vendor, and I don't want to be paying twice. I don't want to really file the papers with my credit-card company stating nonperformance, etc. Thank you for your consideration. If I, again, receive no response, I'l report Licensestream for fraud to my bank and credit-card company.
Glenn
With no response from Mr. Shear, I filled out the online “support” form ~ again an oxymoron if there ever was one. I got many automated emails from a Candace Murray. She only answered one.

Re: Need assistance
CC:
• LicenseStream Technical Support
Friday, September 9, 2011 5:21 PM
Message body
Okay, guys, it's been two weeks. I now have Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom and I downloaded your Lightroom plug-in. My photos still do not upload. I do not mean to be belligerent. I am determined to get service or a refund.
As a result, you will be seeing me in small-claims court in Santa Clara County if you do not provide me service, especially if you don't provide me service, continue to ignore me and do not refund my money and charge me a cancellation fee.
If you want to travel to small-claims court, that's fine. You have the resources. I have your emails that I will produce in court with evidence of your nonperformance and evidence that my photos have been uploaded to many servers, Web sites, etc., except Licensestream.

I have lots and lots and lots of free time, so I really don't mind going to small-claims court.
But, I'd rather just have my service work and my contract extended by two weeks since I have paid for two weeks and no service.
Please respond by Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011 by 5 p.m. PST, or I will file a claim against you in small-claims court and inform my credit card company that you have failed to deliver a service, which, although I am not a lawyer, could be a legal problem, since you accepted payment for no service and have not followed your promissory protocol of responding to users with trouble. I understand you had a hurricane. If that took out your customer service, why do you not just state that on the Web site?
Here is what I wrote to your stupid little online form ~ probably about the 12th or 13th time I've done so, although I could be wrong. It might be more:
Can anyone help me? Or can I please get a refund? I now have Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop CS. I bought them today at considerable expense. My photos still do not load, even using your plugins. This is ridiculous. I have pleaded with you for two weeks to help me. Please either refund my money and do not charge me a cancellation fee, or get my service to work, or see me in Santa Clara County small-claims court where I will sue you. I will also include the time I've spent dealing with us and any other damages.
Again, all I want is my service to work.
Finally, I decided to respond to one of the automated responses with a bit of saracasm.
Re: [protected]
• Candice Murray
Friday, September 9, 2011 5:23 PM
Message body
Yeah, right. You have never responded, "Candace" within 24 hours, let alone 48 hours. The worst customer service I've ever experienced online. What a way to run a company that depends on good publicity and recommendations.
From: Candice Murray <[protected]@imagespan.com>
To: "[protected]@Yahoo.com" <[protected]@Yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, September 9, 2011 5:11 PM
Subject: [protected]

[protected]@licensestream.com
My sarcasm earned a response. Brilliantcustomer “service.”
Glenn,
I am sorry you are upset – this is truly the first I have seen of your request. Had I seen it sooner, you would have received assistance. Can you please send me your original request and/or inquiry and I will do what I can to assist you?
This is not the experience LicenseStream wishes for any of our customers and I do apologize.
Please let me know what I can do for you and we will get it sorted.
Candice

Candice Murray
VP, Enterprise Business Development | LicenseStream
[protected]@licensestream.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Re: [protected]
TO: Candice Murray
CC:
Friday, September 9, 2011 9:26 PM
Message body
Thank you, Candace. I will be out on photo assignments this weekend.
I will get back to you as soon as I can, and as soon as you are able, perhaps we can start again.
Since I threatened to take Licensestream to small-claims court, I rescind that, since you responded, but I was serious. I can sue for up to $7, 500 in damages and I have an email string that clearly shows incompetence and/or neglect to a customer: me. In fact, it's a breach of contract since I'm here two weeks later with an unresolved issue, not to mention the neglect of Licensestream to respond as it promises customers it will within 24 hours weekdays and 48 hours weekends.
Even when Jeff Shear told his "support at licensestream" persons to contact me, they never did. How's that for professionalism? From what he said the hurricane had an effect, but having run newspapers and a large garbage company and having dealt with multiple natural disasters at each, I really do not believe a hurricane is the reason I am left without reputable customer service.
Because of my frustration with Licensestream, I ordered Digimarc today, so I could track my photos. In the interim, I'll just use Digimarc and get photos on my site, but you were my first choice. I'm not sure now what to do. Can I license photos with Digimarc and Licensestream or is that now redundant. This is so frustrating.
I will try uploading again this weekend, to see if I am doing something wrong, and I'll get back to you with my results.

GTFS1959
After experiencing more LicenseStream “server errors” NOT associated with uploads, and still not being able to upload, I was even more exasperated and, still having never been contacted by a true “support team, ” I decided my contract to LicenseStream had been breached by LicenseStream, since it never, ever responded with 24 hours or 48 hours to my many initial requests ~ even after the hurricane, which is understandable to have caused a delay. But, why not put that on the Web site, so customers know? I’ve run businesses, including newspapers online, and that’s what I would have done. There are many other vendors out there. DO NOT USE LICENSESTREAM, because you could end up like me: a happy new customer turned disgruntled, exasperated and threatening legal action. But, I realize, I’m too small to matter to LicenseStream. Nor do I really have the resources to deal with its legal team.
[No Subject]
TO: Candice Murray
CC: License Stream Technical Support
Friday, September 16, 2011 8:50 AM
Dear Candace,
I still cannot upload to Licensestream. There have been problems since I tried to sign up, including Google and Firefox warning me that your certificates had expired.
I would like a full refund of my initial payment and not be charged the cancellation fee.
To this day, I've never received a further response to the images ~ requested by Jeffrey Shear of Licensestream ~ I sent to Jeffrey Shear and to Licensestream's Support Team ~ at Jeffrey Shear's request.
If I do not receive a full refund, I will file as much of a claim as allowed by law in Santa Clara County Small Claims Court.
Documented and in my possession via time/email are all of Licensestream's promises contained in the many automated responses I received, and in the emails I received promising but not delivering resolution.
There was only one time I received a response from your online support form, and that was when I said I was going to have to take legal action because of Licensestream's breach of contract.
Below is just some of my frustrating correspondence with Licensestream that was not followed up adequately to resolve my issues.
As noted in my last correspondence to you, I was going to try to upload more photos, which I did, and they failed. All of them. It is not worth my time and effort to send all the details to you. I have already sent Licenstream enough images detailing my problems and I just don't have the luxury of time to figure out what is wrong.
I need a vendor who will work with me and who will provide service that is paid in full for and who lives up to customer commitments as promised on its Web site.
GTFS1959

So I have a choice: go to small-claims court or lose more than $100. I will be reporting LicenseStream to my credit-card company for fraud because it has refused to address its "server errors" that continue to make my account useless for the purpose I signed up for, AND, it has not provided me with an explanation as to why there are server errors, when the server errors will be corrected and if I will receive a credit for three weeks of LicenseStream's nonperformance.

My photos have been uploaded from Eastern Europe to Pakistan to the United States for a variety of online media. The only problem: LicenseStream.

Based upon my experience as media professional ~ and as a customer, I would not recommend LicenseStream to anyone. It has been a total ripoff for me.