Liberty Financial Mortgage GroupAvoid them

I should have paid heed to the negative reviews on epinions.com. The broker from this outfit, Karl Magnusson, completely disregarded my wishes at several points during this process which lead ultimately to a rejected loan application.

First, he used an appraiser who was overpriced (I discovered later, more than $200 more than the other appraisers in the area), demanded a cash (with no receipt) payment, and undervalued my home so much that we couldn't make an 80% LTV on the loan. I have filed a complaint with the NYS Attorney General who has launched an investigation on Michael Litsky of Landmark Appraisal Group.

Then, once we got this terrible appraisal, Karl defended the appraisal and completely ignored my multiple emails and phone calls and pushed the loan application ahead anyhow. With the obvious outcome, that the bank denied the loan.

LFMG drew me in because they quoted very low interest rates and fees - this is my first refi - which turned out to be competitive but not that amazing. I found that out once I requested an official GFE (good faith estimate) which is the gov't regulated form, the only form that allows you to compare apples to apples. I got several GFE's from liberty financial based on discussions of different structures of the loan, and often the rates and terms would be different than those discussed via email (always worse terms for me) and I'd have to call them on it and get a correction. So I got an increasing feeling of slipperiness from these guys.

Bottom line - if you're refinancing your house, avoid them like the plague!

I'm out their $75 fee, $800 appraisal fee, months of time, lowered credit score from the credit checks, and didn't even get the loan!