Leon's Furniturege clothes washer

Ed Oct 05, 2019

Researching washing machines for a couple of month LG stood out the best. On September 30, 2019 I was in desperate need of a good clothes washer, I was seeking a specific LG model. Most stores were out of stock for at least a week or more; I required a machine now! Leon's in Whitby had it advertised and so we went there to buy one. Unfortunately, there was none in any of their stores or warehouses; I would probably be about a week for new stock. This was my second time to visit this store for a washer. There was a display mode which I asked to purchase but the manager, Zahid Khan refused, saying displays were not for sale.
However knowing I was in need, Zahid Khan manager, directed me to a GE model which he was selling for $749 as an "In Store Special", listed "As Is". When I was looking at the exterior I noticed a small dent in the front and it came without a box. I assumed a display model. (I previously saw same machine at Canadian Appliance and it was a good model for $994 - rebate = $749) So, when Manager Zahid Khan¬¬ said I could have it for $500 plus tax, the price seemed alright, so I bought it. Delivery would be a couple days away, so I paid someone to pick it up. I also needed other assistance to get it into my basement. I could have bought the LG but the wait was too long. Zahid Khan tried to tell me the washer was reduced $250 which I said was the green rebate. He denied that and said it was on sale! Liar!
After reading the manual and installing it, I opened it up to put cloths and soap in and I noticed that this was Not a New Machine. There was dirt all around the top of the tub, including the soap/fabric softener dish and the bleach reservoir. OK, so I figure I'll try a wash so I put in a half a load of towels and turned the dial, trying each cycle. Again, there were issues, ONLY TWO CYCLES WORKED! The Heavy Load and the Speed Wash were the only cycles to give me water. The other cycles either did nothing but spin, or they would give off a couple sprays of water and then go into a spin, while dry. I did not pay $500 + tax for a dirty used machine that does not work! I paid for a display model, yes it was "As Is" but am I wrong in expecting it to be clean and working?
When I returned to the store with photos, manager Zahid Khan told me it was a new machine but sometimes they try them at the factory? This man is a LIAR! I asked that he replace it with a new machine (considering Leon's doesn't sell used machines?) and he refused, saying that he would pick it up and return my payment which I can use on another product. I said I wanted the New product I had paid for and again he refused. I said I would issue a consumer complaint as well as social media and public media as well as legal help. Manager Zahid Khan said "I hope you have more than 5 years!"
I left the store only to never return to any Leon's again, I will add this result to my social and contact public media, advising them accordingly! I trust this issue to be settled to my advantage or I will seek legal help!
C. Edwin Chung, Oshawa ON