Leisure Time Savings Club / Direct DiscountUnauthorized debit!

C

I received a phone call telling me I would be given a host of coupons, vouchers, etc. and wanted permission to mail them-told then I would look at mailing but would not agree to any charges or anything else until I had seen it. Assured me no obligation. Two separate mailings from these two different but obviously connected places came-both stated that I had already been charge $1.00(each) for the mailing and would be debited $29.95 unless I canceled. I called immediately-not only canceled but asked how in H_they got my debit number? I never gave to them or anyone else-never used it online. They both said that they got it from an independent marketer who stated I was a very good customer and that I had given my consent sell the number-NOT! I did no such thing and told them this and that they were using a stolen number. They agreed to cancel everything and refund the dollar but I am still reeling from the fact that they got it in the first place. Since then I have seen a number of charges from different places that all seem to be under the same umbrella-Galaxy Member benefits keeps popping up. I have canceled the card and alerted the bank but I doubt if I will ever see the money that has been taken out. They must be aware that they are dealing with stolen numbers-I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just received two mailings with identical envelopes-both thanking me for choosing their service one was Unlimited Blue Rate Long Distance Service and the other was Save Your Identity Now-ID theft protection program(!)-I never heard of either of them-can't contact them with numbers provided and the latter has already taken money from my account. I can only assume they are all connected somehow. How do you stop this...

• Bi
    Billie Dec 29, 2007

How did you ever get the charges to stop?

• Ra
    Randal Mattocks Jan 08, 2008

We too got the call to look over the Leisure Time and Direct Discount savings club information. After getting it in the mail I called and cancelled them as well. After getting our credit card statement this month I found a charge for Unlimited Blue Rate Long Distance service. The telephone number could not be dialed from our phone! Is it out of our country? We also have a charge for Direct Savings Club that we have no information on. We just finished talking with our credit card company and they are looking in to it. I am wondering as well how our number got out there. Do we change our number? It is very disturbing that this can happen.

• Tj
    TJ Jan 23, 2008

What ever you do....STAY AWAY FROM LEISURE TIME, DIRECT DISCOUNT & UNLIMITED BLUE RATE.
    - 12/18/07 = They took $1.95 to pay for ship/hndlg ---> of items I NEVER RECEIVED!!!
    - 12/27/07 = They took $49.90 from my account saying my free 30 day trial was up???
    - I never received any packet or letter from this company
    - No contact number to call to cancell
    - I got charged full price before the 30 day mark arrived (It was only two weeks)
    I ask you - why would I sign up for long distance when I get it free via my cell phone???
    Basically - I'm out $50 for nothing!!!!

Spread the word!!!
    Tell your friends!!!
    There are Pirates afoot!!!!

Grrrrrrr

TJ~

christy morrison Jan 29, 2008

I dont understand why you all bash leasure time? i've been a happy customer with them for more than 12 years...-Christy Morrison

• Lh
    LHH6R Feb 21, 2008

I am still trying to figure out how these companies got my credit card number. Thankfully they are cooperating and reversing the charges right away or in the case of Savings Direct Club I have to request the refund in writing. But they all came within a couple of days.

Liberty Pass
    US Patriot Card
    Car Express
    WC *FUNSOURCE
    WC *VALUE PLUS-V
    SAVINGS DIRECT CLUB

Several of them are the same company with the same number. I have canceled my card and consider myself lucky that I got my money back (most of it so far). But watch your statements carefully. The most irritating thing is that when I called the customer service people were put off that I wanted to cancel and that I wanted my money back. I didn't want it especially since they just took my money. I think they still call that stealing in some parts of the country. Oh well... If they are such legit companies why be such bullies. Take my money without my permission and then give me greif when I want it back? What is their card number? Let's see if they like it.

• Pr
    Priscilla Hoaglin Mar 17, 2008

I just want to say that these services do NOT debt your account with out your permission and if you look at your statement monthly you will see that the company name is on there with the phone number to cancel. F.Y. I a scam would not leave a contact number!! Also they make you well aware of monthly charges and cancellation process. Pay attention and you will not get yourself in a situation that you will blame on someone else later.

• Ka
    Kathy Mar 26, 2008

To Priscilla,

The number on our statement, Listed as Savings Club Direct 866-694-0367, goes to a tow truck service (who strangely had the number I needed. Does that seem weird?).

It is a scam and the bank agrees with us. Thankfully the bank has canceled the card so that no further withdrawls can be made (since we have requested cancelation three times and continue to be charged). Thankfully, the bank has covered our costs.

We have names, dates, times, and exstension numbers for each phone call. Strangely, every time we called we were told that we must have been calling a different service (at the same number?) and that no one by any name that we have spoken with previously works there nor are any of the exstension numbers we have valid (again from the same number).
    This is so very obviously a scam. Especially if you never sign up for their service in the first place. What a load of crap.

We found out that if you go off and rain verbal hellfire on them (good luck getting a manager) they will eventually give up and offer a refund. I say it is probably better to go through your bank first as they will likely be aware of this company and ...they have the internet too and can find lovely enteries like this one.

Anti- Scam Apr 02, 2008

THIS IS HOW YOU CANCEL Savings Direct Club:

Customer Service: 1-866-253-0258 Menu option 5 for cancelation.

Tell them all the charges you have and If they say they can't refund you, tell them you will take this up with your credit card/bank and file for a fraudulent charge dispute, then proceed to ask for a supervisor if issue is not resolved. You gotta fight dirty to get your money back.

Other creditor scams:

---Leisure Time Savings: 1-800-307-4149
    ---Direct Discount Club: 1-800-293-1155

• Am
    Amanda Apr 05, 2008

I have Got to Charges on my Bank Statement that i did not Authorize one is from My Leisure and Savings and the other is Smart Shopper and i can not Figure out how to get ahold of either one of the places i have phone numbers but they are not available no matter when i call...

• Fr
    fred Apr 10, 2008

I got a marketing call which normally I dont tend to answer. This gentlemen told he is from american express platinum rewards. I told i dont want any rewards but he was persistently telling that i am a great customer and he is giving it for free.

So after a long talk i agreed to get the package with a reward but never in the conversation i was mentioned about a membership from a different company nor i gave my credit card info.

I saw two charges from liesure time savings and direct discount club for a couple of months.

I called them and immediately played my last 1 min of the talk with the rep agreeing for the parcel to be sent. when asked about to play the entire conversation was refused. Then they told they will refund which i hope to get in a few days.

After I dropped from the conversation with the rep immediately I got another call from platinum rewards this time requesting to talk my wife.

the customer service person when confronted about how she got this number immediately she cut the phone.

Its really scary how they got our card number. any ideas how to stop this

Sam Apr 19, 2008

The same thing happened to me with direct savings club... i called and canceled, yet they still took the money out of my account. i called back and told them, and they said they would give me a refund. The money is still not returned to me. Im getting extremely frustrated because im short on cash right now, and really needed that money...

• Mr
    Mr and Mrs David S Milligan, J May 24, 2008

We regret that we haven't looked closely to our monthly credit card bill but we recently did and found My Leisure Savings and Direct Discount Club charges on it. When we contacted them they said David agreed to it and he did NOT. We never have used and don't desire to use this type of company. We feel very scammed. They only agreed to reimburse 2 months. We are disputing it with our company. I would like to know how they got our credit card information. We NEVER give out our number on the phone.
    We have been lied to and stolen from and I feel very upset about that. I do hope we can get back the money.

• Ct
    C. T. Jun 04, 2008

OMG. They are still at it. I just got a call from Leisure Time Savings Club" aka "Direct Savings Club" . Gee whiz those people are persistant! No matter how many times I said "No. I do not want your service. Do not send me anything." the guy wouldn't let up. I am usually more abrupt however, this company had so much personal information it was SCARY and I wanted to know how they got my info! He wouldn' t tell me where the call was coming from nor would he tell me how he got my information or where the company was located. As soon as I got off the phone with him I called my bank (within 30 seconds) and there was a charge for $29.95 on my account. That has been resolved and I have cancelled that card and will be issued a new one. We (the people) shouldn't have to go through this!

• Ct
    C. T. Jun 04, 2008

To anyone who found this post by doing a google search...PLEASE READ ALL OF THE PREVIOUS POST!!!

"Leisure Time Savings Club" "Direct Savings Club" "Synergy" "877-807-2392"
    Scams! Please read all of the above post. Contact your financial institutions. Do something. Don't wait to have money stolen from you.

Add any other numbers and names of the company to a post so we can warn others and put in quotations in your message. Thanks:)

• Gr
    Greg Rogers Jun 28, 2008

We had the same problem-It all started when I replied to a letter from "Time Warner Cable" saying that my contract could be canceled if I did not call to confirm things with the contract. Well, I called the number and I, unfortunately obliged my way through a converstation with the guy on the other end-unfortunantly, I supposedly obliged my way into contracts with Savings club direct, essential medical insurance, essential dental, Galaxy, and maybe others. I have over $300 in charges on my card that is now canceled and am willing to pay $500.00 to take these companies down by the principle of the thing. I have since called Time Warner and my contract is a 3rd party affiliation contract -whatever that means-and this may be the means by which they got our credit card number. The other avenue that they may have gotten my card number is from the home shopping network as my wife bought something the very same month that we go the notice. This is absolutely sick that companies can get away with this in this country.

• Ce
    Cecily R Stephens Jul 13, 2008

I posted a comment 12-2707 listed on this site-after a lot of grief I finally got this mess straightened out-or so I thought. Just recently I have been getting mailings to these companies-addressed to ME!-I first got an email with a complaint about the charges-then a threaatening letter from a law firm in CT about someone else's charges-and yesteday a letter from the BBB with a complaint from yet another person! They are directed to Leisure Time and Discount Travel & Leisure-but to MY address! I have nothing to do with this thieving SOBs other than being another victim. I don't know how or why this is happening but I am not associated with them in any way. I thought I was finally free of this mess-and I would like to know why my address is being listed for them in the first place.

Angie Jul 14, 2008

A week or two ago my credit card company actually CONTACTED ME!!! about these charges. We were actually on vacation at the time so I figured they noticed out of state charges, and I took my time getting back to them. Come to find out I was charged... $2.48, $1.00, $1.00, and $2.28... from 1st ID Protect, Discount Direct Savings, Discount Travel Savings, and Dinner Club Save.com. However different from others posting on here, I NEVER got a phone call asking to be signed up for something... NEVER have gotten anything in the mail... these charges just mysteriously popped up without me doing ANYTHING. IT IS A SCAM, and just goes to show I should've taken it more seriously when my credit card company CONTACTED ME!!! Stay away people.

Jennifer Pries Jul 17, 2008

WHY DID YOU TAKE 29.97 off my debit with out my permission, please credit my accountASAP.I dont even Know who your Company is.716-284-0175
    Jennifer Pries

• Li
    Linda M Mabry Jul 18, 2008

I don't know about anyone else's problems other than what I read up above, but I for one am not taking this lying down. I received a call back at the end on June of 08 from some man with a very strong accent asking if I was Linda. I answered yes and asked him what he wanted. He went on to inform me that because of my GOOD STANDING with what I thought he said was the name of the people I have my car loan with ( remember he had a very thick accent) that they were going to be sending me a Walmart card for $25.00. Yea right something for nothing, but he also in that same sentence said the last 4 digits of my debit card. That got my attention real fast, so I kept on talking to him trying to get out of him where did he get the last 4 digits of my card. He just kept talking about all the great benefits and such, and I just kept asking WHERE DID YOU GET MY LAST 4 DIGITS OF MY CARD? Well finally I figured that he was not going to tell me anything so I asked them not to call me anymore, I am not interested in joining anything and when he still would not shut up I hung up on him. Now fast forward 24 to 48 hours later, I get on the net and check my bank balance as I do at least every other day and I see a charge for $1.95 from WC Funsource M on my account has been debited. So I called the bank right then and explained what had happened. The kid I talked to said to stop using that card right now and he put a new one in the mail with a new number that day. About 3 days later I received my new debit card. Then yesterday July 17 2008 while checking my banking on line I see that I have a $19.95 pending transaction on my statement and I called the bank immediately. They informed me I needed to come right away and file a fraud case against these people. I did. This is what they said. First of all they gave me my $1.95 back, whooptee dooo, then they said that the same day that they the bad people had milked my card for the buck ninety five, that they had also put a hold on the twenty bucks that is pending now on the old card. As soon as they, the bank, proccess it they would refund me my money and use the $19.95 as proof that I had been scammed and use it to press charges later down the road. Yea yea right. I got my money back but I feel as though my bank was a willing partisapant in helping the bad guys steal my money. Even though the bank reimbursed me I felt as though if they would have stopped the second payment it would have alerted the bad guys that we knew what they were doing and to back off. Before I left the bank yesterday I told them that I would be keeping a close watch on my account. If by some chance or way they managed to do this again next month that not only would I be going to the ST. ATT. office about the scammers I would also be telling them that the bank is now a knowing accomplace. Hopefully this will be the end of it. Oh and by the way, I never recived anything in the mail. Darn and I thought I was going to get a free Walmart card, haha, just kidding. Well I hope this is a done deal and I never have to go through this again but I'm not holding my breath. Well that is all I have to say. Thanks for letting me vent.

Linda

Markan Jul 21, 2008

I too, have been scammed by these companies (or this company). I generally do not even answer unsolicited calls, but did this time because I was waiting on a response from a legitimate concern. The questions after the lengthy sales pitch were 'do you want to participate?' The answer was NO, thank you, no.

Two months later, when close to my cc limit, I overpaid, thinking to leave myself a bit of flex room on the card. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that even though they had received my payment and the card had not been used, I was still over the limit! approximately $80.00 had been charged to the card from three companies which never received acceptance or confirmation from me. To add insult to injury, I never even received any of the items (mail or otherwise) described to me before I said no to the offer. The three companies and the numbers which show up on my account:

WellnessWatchers: 800-591-6383 - NJ
    Smart Shopper: 800-315-3904 - KNA
    My Leisure and Savings: 877-478-0591 - CA

Needless to say, I did not give these people any personal information, but I did assume that because they had my number, they had to have called from one of my legit card accountholders. When they asked me to confirm an address or other personal info (at the beginning of the pitch), I told them that it had not changed from record. Perhaps that's why I didn't get material?

I called each of these numbers immediately and went on terminal hold before being disconnected (by them). I then called my cc company to request that these recurring charges be denied at any upcoming date. They refused, telling me that I must have agreed to services online (even though I explained that I believed this was initiated from a phone call). They persisted, telling me that I would have to contact the companies to discontinue the service. Service?

I noticed that one kind (and righteously angry) person posted a number above. I will add that to my attempts. If anyone has found clear resolution specifically to any of the three that I mentioned, I would appreciate hearing about it.

To the person who posted above that they were satisfied with whatever it is these people are offering, I would say only one thing:

Obviously they had some information, but not enough. In order to provide you with 'good service', they probably got information which you thought you were confirming. They are frauds. If I were you, I would watch very closely.

Now I'll have to spend the rest of the night going over bank statements, cc statements, and worrying over how they even got my number, much less my cc number in the first place.

• Jr
    jrimy Aug 19, 2008

thy got me the f-ing b a s t a r d s never got my free gas card or walmart card thy promised to send me or the package in the mail which would inable me to call and cancel this package before my free month is over i dont even have the account # which you need to cancel this BS plus the phone # tht is on my debit account hold i call and of course i called out of buisness hours thy politely ask me to call back during regular buisness hours but of course dont say when tht is. WTF!! im closeing tht account first thing tomorrow and going to call every hour of the day till i get ahold of them if i have to.

• Cy
    cynthia beale Sep 16, 2008

I would like to cancel my account.

• Cs
    csapp Sep 22, 2008

I have tried repeatedly to cancel this account and I never get a live person and there is no place on the website to cancel. I want the withdrawls from my account to stop and I want a refund.

• Pa
    Padmadevan Sep 23, 2008

What's the phone number for Discount Travel Savings so I can call them and terminate the fraudulent subscription?

• Ro
    Robin Cozens Sep 25, 2008

Found a Leisure time debit on our joint bank account, called and queried, my wife told the woman the card number and she asked if she was married to a completely different person. Someone (we know who and have his name and address) had used my wifes card number and ordered from his address and goods were delivered to his ex wifes address. Unbeknownst to myself this had been going on nearly 2 years and we just found out. My wife thought it was something I had subscribed to and vice versa. Leisure Time will not talk to me, it seems it's harder to prove my wife is the cardholder than it is for the thief to open an account with them. The Police have been notified and are acting accordingly.

• Da
    Dave Sep 25, 2008

Ya some bull, I canceled a few times and found that the only real way to resolve this is contacting your bank and canceling your debit card and getting a new one. Also if you are wanting the money back, got to your bank and ask for a dispute slip and it will inform you what to do, again play dirty to get what is yours.

• V
    V Oct 17, 2008

This company is a total scam. I agree with all the others. I managed to call them and find contact info. I think I managed to cancel my membership. Now they sent a second package with a new membership number. great. Anyway, here's the contact info, it helps if you wrote down the confirmation number when you were on the phone with them initially. Good luck.

• Ju
    Julio Martinez Nov 15, 2008

hey i strongly agree that because is happening to us right now, what can i do to cancel that cause i cant do it by the internet or by the phone

Jeff Smith Nov 17, 2008

ATTENTION--ATTENTION I have received the same stuff from LEISURE TIME SAVINGS, DISCOUNT SAVINGS CLUB, CDAoA MED HEALTH PLUS, and BELLA CLEAR skin products. I was exposed in the same ways described above. I was called by a guy that had my account information and signed me up for all these trial products. Once you cancel all the product within the trial period you still receive random charges. They say you can cancel easily, but when you cancel with all these companies they continue to make charges some large 78.95, and some small 1.95. When you try to contact all these different companies to cancel all charges being charged they find ways to say that not all was canceled or you went passed the trial period before completely canceling everything. The fact of the matter is that it is a head ache to try and chase down all these crooks and route out the source; not to mention the problems you'll have at your bank when you try to cancel or block the on- going charges. They don't always cancel everything. I'm also very suspicious of how the original caller who signed me up with fraudulent claims of easy cancellations even got my account info and number. I BELIEVE MY BANK MAY BE INVOLVED.

AFTER READING THE OTHER COMMENTS, AND MINE HOPEFULLY YOU'LL SEE THAT FIGHTING IT WILL GO ON AND ON. THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO CANCEL YOUR CARD NUMBER AND GET A NEW CARD AND NUMBER FROM YOUR BANK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. HOPEFULLY YOUR READING THIS BEFORE THEY'VE HAD A CHANCE TO CHARGE THAT MUCH.

CANCEL CANCEL CANCEL YOUR CARD QUICK... THAT IS THE WAY I GOT IT TO STOP FOR NOW!

• El
    Elia L Tupua Nov 17, 2008

I remember talking to someone on the phone about the Leisure discounts but did not authorize anything about the Savings and Healthcare Service part of it. I also don't like how they went into my account without me getting anything from them first. I was told I would recieve coupons and things like that but I was billed first. I want to have all future contacts and automatic debits from my account cancelled with the Leisure, Healthcare and Savings Programs. I feel that my finacial security was violated.

• Pa
    pachia yang Nov 22, 2008

I have had that happening too everyone...

right now I just had a leisure time savings charged onto my account for 29.85
    and before there was that direct discount club charge and I did not receive any packets at all.

I now have to deal with this. Tonight. and tomorrow I am going to change my account,
    and freak deal with these faggats. Just going to fall for these kind of s h i t anymore...
    no offense...

but I did do that recording voice with them (they were saying that they were from TCF bank)
    I thought I have cancelled everything already but damn what the hell, now the leisure is going to charge me...
    and this made me thought maybe they have their own different companies with their own phone to
    charge...

i don't know what to do anymore. I feel like it is my fault. But still, I believe that canceling by calling the 1800 number
    thinging---it would cancel everything. But now for this leisure time saving charge---I WANT MY MONEY BACK.

jessica Nov 25, 2008

I cancelled with My Leisure Savings and Smart Shopper with no problems!

Phone # to cancel 800-315-3904

I think they got my info when I order another product online
    which turned out to be a mess/scam - Acai Berry 500

• Ki
    Kim Byrd Dec 05, 2008

I also got al call from Discount Savings Club. I did get a booklet and info in the mail by them. I also called right away and canceled the service when I found out that it came with a future monthly billing of 29.95 on my bank card. well one month later on 12/04/08 to be exact, I saw a charge of 29.95 from Discount Travel Leisure who were not at all the Discount Savings Club, or were they? hmmm. I now have to get with my bank which is in Washington DC. I live in KY. I am really scared because I am going to Disney World with my spouse just back from Iraq and now I have to go through this with these people? I need my bank card more than ever and do not have time to wait for a new one in the mail. When I get to DC latter this month the first place I am stopping is at the bank. Thanks so much for the heads up.
    Kim

• Th
    Theresa Dec 21, 2008

How are these people getting our cc number and telephone as well. This sounds like an inside scam with someone handling our cc . They told me my credit card number. The web site does not exsist. They need to be stoped A.S.A.P. I agree with the complaints because it has happen to me also, with the telephone call ect.

• Al
    Alexander Magnan Dec 21, 2008

Thank you vrey much i hope this work and i can save lots of money

• Ka
    Karen Gray Feb 18, 2009

BEWARE OF CROOKS!! I looked at my bank statement yesterday and found two charges, one from shoppers savings club and one from leisure services. they both totaled nearly $80.00. I found that this was the second time they charged my bank account via my debit card in a month. I tried calling both companies and could not reach them. I went to my bank and cancelled my card and asked what I could do to get my money back. They will investigate and hopefully the money will be returned to my account in a few weeks. I really don't see that happening. I had allowed my son to use my card number to pay for some free offer that required only paying shipping. This is where I have tracked the issue beginning. Never give your card number for free offers that require shipping only. I believe that they are selling the numbers to other companies. Not only did the first company get the money for their shipping charges, they continued to send items that had not been ordered and used the card that I authorized paying shipping only on and continued to charge full price. I was able to reach them and stop any further charges, however they keep your card number on file even if you have only authorized one payment for shipping. They fear no prosecution so they will continue to rip off those who give out their card numbers.

• Ti
    Tina Apr 22, 2009

My husband got a phone call from Liesure savings also. He let them send him info in the mail and when we received it, he immediately called them and told them and canceled. Today, we received a bank statment from them as well as Smart Shopper who made to charges to our bank account..$39.95 and $39.85. My bank tracked down their phone number which is a random anwering machine recording and, of course, no calls back. I am VERY VERY upset.

• Sm
    smbs Apr 29, 2009

i was charge just this yesterday of $39 by My Leisure Savings Club. I remember i recieve a call offering me a free $200. for gas which i think was good! but i didnt know that, from that call they will confirm your name and address to sign you up for monthly purchase of their product. what alarms me is that I have not given my credit card information! i felt that they stole from me. i mean where did they get my information??? i have no exact information about their company, i need the state and city where they operate so i can file a complaint on BBB. if you have info, if you receive a letter from them with their complete address please post it here. thanks

• Mm
    mmeaders May 13, 2009

We received a call from these people Discount savings and Leisure time Savings yesterday offering a "free 100.00 gas card" and proceeded to tell my husband his debit card info right down to the security code my husband was furiouss and demanded to know where they go the information, they stated they received it from a global marketing firm, they refused to give him an address only stating that they were in Clearwater Florida. We did get a phone number 1800-316-9561. As soon as the call ended my husband notifie dthe bank and cancelled is card . We notiifed the federal trade commission this morning and will continue to notify as many as we can .

• Mm
    mmeaders May 13, 2009

I also contacted the FBI.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices