Law Offices of Craig ZimmermanFraud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I enrolled into this law firm to help me resolve my debt but they did not do anything to help me out. They tell you that when you are going to get sued they will help resolve that account but they don't. The firm charged me $14, 000 in a retainer fee and when I got sued for Target they told me I had to file BK. They only returned $5000 of the retainer but kept the rest and they didn't do anything to resolve any of my accounts. Craig Zimmerman is a theif and should be disbared for his malpractice. If Bankruptcy was my only option, why did he let me enroll in the program and say they would resolve my debt? That firm is only interested in making $65 monthly service fee and the bank fee of $9.75. It is another malpractice to charge us the $9.75 monthly service for an account that everyone in the firm uses. Every client has the same account number, it is not individual accounts for every client. How can a firm get away with all of this. I am glad the government has stepped in and prevented upfront fees. If you want to get help with your debt you should contact another law firm because this firm will only steal your money. They charge fees and they wait until you are sued to settle an account and then you get smacked with a Judgment and that stays on your credit report for 10 years.

John Cashew May 13, 2011

I contacted the company for assistance in completing Chapter 7 documents. They agreed to complete the paperwork for $195 and all I would have to do is file them and pay the filing fees. Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman took my money Law Offices of Craig Zimmermanprovided me with partial paperwork that was not completed correctly then never returned calls or emails. The bankruptcy court sanctioned them and ordered them to return my money. They never showed or responded to the court and continue to run this scam on numerous Americans. Run if you hear from Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman

• Li
    Lisa Gomezzz May 11, 2011

Lisa, and anyone else: This is what I've done - I've stopped ALL future payments to Craig Zimmerman after concluding I have no way to communicate with anyone there - no response to e-mails to my paralegal, the firm's main e-mail address doesn't accept messages, a phone message box that is full & gives NO alternate method to communicate. On learning this, I called my creditors and - VERY IMPORTANT - they tell me they have had no response to their calls since at least January, important because this may be a contractual violation on the firm's part. On my own, I've settled with one creditor for 40 percent and am negotiating with the other. THIS IS WHAT I PAID THE FIRM TO DO - NEGOTIATE! I am preparing a complaint to the Maryland attorney general; you can do it on-line or mail it to the address on the on-line form. One of the boxes in the on-line form asks what you hope for if your complaint is substantiated: I am asking for a FULL refund of ALL I have paid the firm, and am also asking for criminal prosecution. To anyone out there still making monthly payment but who has no way to communicate with the firm, though I'm not an attorney, I would suggest IMMEDIATE stop-payments because, since you have no response from the firm, how can you know what you're paying for? More importantly, though, if you call your creditors, ask when and if they have had any non-response from the firm to their inquiries. If so, you may have the contractual violation that warrants a complaint, not to the BBB, but to the attorney general.

• Ry
    Ryan johnson May 07, 2011

Debt Settlement

Photos
    Marissa Ruiz sitting with her head on her hands
    Fee fighter
    Marissa Ruiz dumped a debt-reduction service with high up-front

Marissa Ruiz, 40, of Pasadena, Calif., was struggling to make minimum payments on more than $10, 000 worth of credit-card debt in May 2007 when she saw an online ad fromLaw Offices of Craig Zimmerman that persuaded her to sign up. "They said they'd work with your creditors to reduce your total debt and get it all paid off, and that's what I wanted to do, " says Ruiz, a single parent supporting four children, ages 11 to 17, on a modest income as a children's social worker.

She says the company told her to stop sending payments to creditors, a tactic often used by debt-reduction companies. Instead she was supposed to save $141.80 per month and tellLaw Offices of Craig Zimmerman when she had at least $1, 000 so that the company could begin negotiating discounted payoffs with lenders. The company deducted $121.54 from her checking account as the first of 10 monthly payments required for fees, Ruiz says. She'd handed over more than $600 by the time she quit the plan five months later because she believed she was getting nothing in return, other than being hounded by calls from bill collectors.

Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman president, Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman, says his company contacted Ruiz's creditors in July 2007 to notify them that she had granted the company limited power of attorney. He says she was not advised to stop paying creditors. Ruiz disputes that, and the written instructions she received from Debt Settlement state: "Do not speak to creditors." Ruiz says she contacted Debt Settlement to end its involvement. The company says that it tried to follow up but that she did not respond.

Ruiz then sought help from Clearpoint, a nonprofit financial-counseling agency that she had also spotted on the Internet. The credit counselor didn't require fees to help her develop a budget and contacted her creditors to discuss a realistic repayment plan. Ruiz says she negotiated directly with some lenders, such as Washington Mutual and JCPenney, that would agree to settle her bills for less than half of what she owed if she could pay the settlement amount in a few timely payments.

To earn the money to do that, she took on a part-time job. In one year, she slashed her debt from almost $13, 000 to $3, 000. "It hasn't been easy, and it still shocks me that I did it, but it feels great, " Ruiz says. "Now when I hear ads on the radio all the time from these kind of companies, I get so angry because I don't want anyone else to get sucked in like I did."

People using settlement companies could face problems in the time before debt negotiations usually begin. The original debt might soar as missed payments lead to penalty fees and other charges, and the credit rating plunges further.

Regulators say that under the typical arrangement, companies charge up-front fees totaling 15 percent of the debt to be settled, a monthly service fee of $50 and if they do reach a settlement, a contingency fee of 20 percent or more of the amount they've allegedly saved. And the Internal Revenue Service might consider forgiven debt to be taxable income.

"Most consumers end up quitting these programs within the first two years after being subjected to constant collection calls and paying fees that can run into the thousands while receiving none of the benefits they were promised, " says Googel, the assistant attorney general in West Virginia.

Wesley Young, legislative director of the Association of Settlement Companies, a trade group, says that 40 to 55 percent of consumers complete the programs but that lack of savings discipline is the most significant factor in the dropout rate. But in a May 2004 case against debt-settlement services brought by the Federal Trade Commission, a court found that less than 2 percent of consumers enrolled in the defendants' debt-negotiation programs, 638 out of 44, 844, completed them.

In the past two years, West Virginia has charged nine debt-relief companies with violating state law by charging excessive fees for their services, along with other violations. The companies agreed to stop doing business with West Virginia residents and to refund $735, 000 in payments collected from 490 residents.
    What to do instead

Consumers struggling with credit-card debt should first consider negotiating directly with creditors. "Now is a better time than ever before to do this because card issuers are finally realizing that if we, their customers, go under, they will go down with us, " says Curtis Arnold, founder of CardRatings.com, a site that evaluates credit cards. "So they are reaching out to offer repayment plans to card members carrying significant debt loads."

Chase Card Services spokeswoman Tanya Madison says Chase will negotiate with some debt-settlement companies at a cardholder's request but will not offer more favorable terms than the customer would receive by negotiating directly with the bank. People needing help can find a nonprofit credit counselor through the National Foundation for Credit Counseling (www.debtadvice.org). Those counselors will divide a set monthly payment among creditors to pay off the balance in full over time at reduced interest rates. Based on financial circumstances, the service might be provided free or for set fees: an enrollment charge of no more than $25 and a monthly fee of no more than $50.

• Te
    Teddy walker May 06, 2011

FIle a complaint with your state Attorney Generals office, BBB, the state BAR and the FTC. I was scammed as well, enough complaints will get him disbarred!

john mathewsss May 06, 2011

I would have to agree with the complaint against this company. I was with Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman for a a number of months and had paid in around $2000 before I stopped paying them. They promised me that they would work with my creditors to a settlement of around 40% of what was owed which never happened. The initial employee from this company told me that they had good working relationships with all of the creditors and that they would work on my smallest debt first and then work to the largest. My negotiator also told me the same thing and then after a few months she had told me that she had just finished filing bankruptcy on all of her credit cards. All I can say is that after a few months of paying to this company my negotiator called me and told me that they had worked out a final agreement with the largest dollar creditor for a 10% reduction which is nowhere near the 60% range they talk about. The final straw came when a creditor did call and told both my wife and I that they had not written documentation or phone calls telling them that I was in talks with Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman. Could the collection agency or Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman be lying to me was too much to handle at the time so I agreed to work with the collection agency towards a settlement and cancel working with Law Offices of Craig Zimmerman. Before canceling I had asked Law Offices of Craig Zimmermandocumentation showing that they had talked to creditors and nothing happened.

• Ha
    Harrold Johnssss Apr 30, 2011

So, where do I start...

They called me earlier today from phone number 800.987.3057 and I didn't answer. They called me again a few hours later, and I answered, as I'd done my research (googled the phone number) and found out what they were all about. So they go into their sales pitch, trying to make their "oppoortunity" sound great by throwing fancy titles at you, "celebrating" in the background about new clients, when it's really just a bunch of loud people listening to music and laughing at whatever nonsense is being said in the background.

So I get this call, I answer it, knowing it'll be a "pay us for a home based business" scam. I listen to the recording they have, about 4 and a half minutes long, and it starts repeating. I hang up. They call back, but this time it's not the girl who called me the first time, it's a gruff man named "Fred" which is most likely a made up name anyway. He throws his sales pitch at me and I play dumb for a few minutes. When he realizes I'm not some naive or stupid person who's going to fall for the scam, he hangs up very abruptly, mid sentence. I call back with the intention of asking them to remove me from their list, and whoever's there picks up the phone and hangs it up immediately. I call back again. This time, the girl who originally called me answers, acting as if she doesn't see my number on her caller ID, and asks how she can help me. I politely say I just called back after being hung up on and she says "I'm sorry, I must have accidentally disconnected you." I tell her I'd like to be removed from their list, and she hangs up on me. I call back again. This time "Fred" answers, and says "we took you off the list, if you call back again it's harassment" and hangs up again.

And now I'm writing this report. If I call back again, which I will, I hope Fred answers again, because it's not harrassment. They are scammers, and when you let them know that you will research the company, they hang up on you and say YOU are harrassing THEM!

DO NOT BUY INTO THIS COMPANY'S SCAM. They want to put you IN debt to try and sucker you into buying their program to get OUT of debt. They operate under many other names and there are many other reports about them.