Law Office of Laurence A. HeckerHarrassing phone calls

Y

I get harrassing phone calls every morning demanding I pay for a credit card debt I already settled with a different collection agency 3 years ago! I got tricked into giving my work number! I was told the "client" (credit card company) needed my work number as proof I am employed. I was told it would not be used to contact me in any way! It was a lie! My co-worker called me at home informing me a Holly Sommers from the Law Office of Laurence A. Hecker called looking for me. She gave my co-worker information about my situation. They asked me for my checking information because they said it was the only way to secure the "settlement" option. I informed them it was an account that had already been paid off, but she kept pushing that I had no proof of it! Stupid me, I gave my checking information! She assured me that the funds would not be taken out before the agreed date. She said I would receive a courtesy call on the date & I would have to consent to it. I never got the call! Luckily I pulled out the money from my checking account because next thing I know, I was being charged an NSF from my bank. I found out the company was trying to pull out the funds without a call giving my consent! They leave rude messages on my parents' answering machine as well as on my cell phone! They have called me at 2:41am, 3:22am, 7:16am when I informed them I live on Guam! They don't even take the time out to research the time difference!
These people need a major wake-up call! It's too much for me to handle!

ANA Nov 12, 2008

THIS COMPANY HAS BEEN DOING THE SAME TO MY UNCLE. THEY DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT INFO ON CLIENTS AND CONTINUE TO CALL AND HARRAS PEOPLE. WHAT IN THE HELL IS WRONG WITH LAWYERS. IT'S THESE TYPE OF HUNGRY LAWYERS WHO HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO.

• I am now in the same situation. Today I got a phone call stating that I owe a debt of 1, 250. I stated that I do not remmeber a such debt from 1999. This is 2010! I started asking questions about the debt and the lady on the phone by the name of Jone Price gets on the phone and says, "Stop wasting our time with all the questions. We know this is your account because you opened it in 1999 and stop making payments on it in 2003. It is not fraud because criminals don't pay on anything stolen." As I try to keep getting information out of her she gets really rude and says " look, stop wating my time because we know your not going to pay the money because based on credit it appears to me that you don't pay your bills anyway! We got all the information we need to pursue this so if your not going to pay do not call us. We have your social security number, address, and verified this is you and thats all we need." So, as I was attempting to ask her for her name, she says, "I told you my name already, and if you want it I will put you on the phone with another manager". So the other manager got on the phone and said " are you ready to deal with this debt!" I got pissed and started going off about the way I was just treated. because they said they been trying to contact me but that is a lie. I never received a letter from them at all, just a phone call today for the first time. They really are the nastiest people I have ever had to deal with and I do not know how to approach this matter. I have tried to look them up online but only find complaints. It was good to hear how this Laurence guy lost his license before. I am thinking about getting a lawyer and fighting.. What do you think! Any advice ?

Thanks, innocent till proven guilty!!!

chickydee Oct 27, 2010

I have recently encountered Laurence Hecker, Attorney at Law, and this time he may have met his match. Firstly, I was bullied and threatened into giving my personal bank account information (which I had immediately changed after I was able to calm myself after the harassing call) I was threatened with legal action if I did not immediately provide them with my bank account information, and overall, they were disgusting, unethical, and morally bankrupt [censor] to deal with. I told them I was/am broke (and owe a FEW hundred bucks on one little credit card because I lost my job because of severe medical problems, but they don't care about that) They wanted me to skip my insurance payment for the month and go ahead and skip my medications too, because my health is not apparently as important as lining the pockets of this [censor].

#1. They didn't and aren't sending me ANY verification of who they are. They offered to send it via fax, but that would expose my debt publically, and I'm pretty sure that's not legal. It's been over two weeks, and I have yet to see any tangible proof that they are not a bunch of nigerians trying to scam me.
    #2. The harassment and threats of a lawsuit when I have had no contact with them, have never heard of them, and I have no proof as to the validity of their claim, I am also quite sure isn't legal. See, you're supposed to have a period of time to dispute a claim (from what I have read).
    #3. Scare tactics are not cool. My favorite line was "the client doesn't want payment plans and wants to move forward with a lawsuit"...ummm, for a few hundred bucks? Tell you what, with what little I have, and what little I have to lose, I'd rather look into bankruptcy.

I called my state Attorney General's office today, and as soon as I said "Laurence Hecker" they knew exactly who I was talking about. So, I have now launched a complaint with my state AG, the FTC, and I am launching a complaint with the Office of Attorney Regulation Council. All of whom will receive a complaint about this SHADY collection agency.

Additionally, after consulting with all of them, I'm going to speak to my own attorney about suing this [censor]!

• So
    solidpaint Dec 03, 2010

They are one of the many bottom feeding collection agencies who disregard the FDCP laws! I sent them a certified, return receipt letter asking for verification, etc. and if not able to verify no contact should be made. They are still calling and leaving voicemail messages...stating that if they did not hear from me in 20 days that they will close this matter. Well, we are well past the 20 days!! This is the 4th collection agency this old debt has been "sold" to, with the original creditor having written off the debt. Complaints have been filed with the FTC and Attny General.

I think a group lawsuit is in order!!!

• So
    solidpaint Dec 03, 2010

ALSO - REMEMBER!!! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER pay a debt off unless you get IN WRITING that once paid it will be REMOVED from your credit report by the ORIGINAL CREDITOR (NOT the debt collector). Many people do not realize that once you pay on a debt owed, that starts the credit reporting clock all over again. So, if you have an old debt that is 6 years 6 months old, this will be removed from your credit report in 6 months at 7 years. If you make ANY payment on this (even $1) this will be considered a new debt and the 7 years will start all over again.

Hecker and the other "law offices"/collection agencies, are 3rd party collections. Hired by another collection company who bought the debt from the original creditor for pennies on the dollar!!

Sent then a certified letter so you have WRITTEN proof and do not even bother speaking on the phone with them, unless you are able to record the conversation and let them know ahead of time that you will be using a recording device.

NEVER NEVER give them your bank, debit, etc. info.!!!

Marie73 Sep 12, 2011

I received a call from [protected], Caller ID showed name being APM Financial. I knew right away by the name it was gonna be one those natorious bill collectors, sure enough it was, but the call wasn't for me, it was for my mother, but they had my name somehow and my ex-husbands name whom I've been divorced from for over 11yrs. They lady's name was Elizabeth Armstrong, nevers said who she was with and what call was for just said have my mother call her at [protected], with a file number. Even though I told her several times my mother doesn't live with me, let alone not even in the same state. Big fraud and scam.

• Mi
    Mike Petillo Jun 16, 2016

These complaints were directed against employees not Laurence Hecker, and those employees were disciplined or discharged as a result of complaints. Hecker alwasy acted ethically and honestly and never lost a court suit. He almost never spoke with debtors himself, the only exception being military personnel, for whom he had a great deal of sympathy.