Kohler Marine GeneratorsWater intrusion?

I purchased a 35' Proline Express with a 7.3 KW genset factory installed by Proline. Proline management tells me that when the boat was designed the Kohler factory rep. was standing there watching them installing it and gave it's position, placement and installation his blessing.

The boat and genset are 3 years old. The genset is completely dead due to water intrusion. I called Kohler and was told "the genset should have been installed with our genset cover". As it turns out in this ridiculous, circular corporate argument, the "cover" won't fit as installed. There is no room for said "cover" to protect it from possible water intrusion. The genset is placed at the back of the boat on a 10" pedestal to keep it dry.

If the Kohler rep. was involved in the enormously profitable sale of their 7.3KW genset into Proline boats, I would anticipate him willing to say ANYTHING to make that sale happen.

Why didn't Kohler send an ENGINEER to an inspection instead of a SALESMAN?

As the consumer of this debacle, I am stuck fighting between Proline Boats (who installed the Kohler Genset without a "splash guard" which is sold as an OPTION and not mandatory with its MARINE GENERATORS and observed by Kohler reps as "to placement and use") and Kohler who says that "if the generator suffers any exposure to water it voids the warranty". Kohler, like Pilot, has completely washed their hands of this and won't do the right thing. They have walked away from this and refuse to help. They should have refused the sale of 7.3KW gensets to Proline Boats and insisted on proper placement and installation WAY before the consumer ever got involved.

Here's some KOHLER engineering advice:
#1 ITS A BOAT
#2 DON'T SELL IT WITHOUT A PERMANENT SPLASH GUARD, FORGET OPTIONAL.
#3 SEND ENGINEERS OUT ON BOATS THAT ARE "IN SERVICE" AND DO SOME RESEARCH ON YOUR OWN PRODUCT.

What do I want from Kohler? I want a replacement genset WITH A SPLASHGUARD!

Corporate AMERICA is in deep danger of going out of business. American consumers are the largest group of consumers in the world. Do the right thing or we'll find someone else that will.

We missed out on the best fishing season in So. Texas in years. I bought the boat so I could enjoy my daughters last 2 years at home with her and friends. The genset runs everything on the boat; without it, its 102 degrees without any relief. Way to go Kohler. Keep up the great customer service and product support.

Contact me: myk.[protected]@gmail.com

Water intrusion?

• Bp
    bpriest58 Jun 09, 2015

I have a 2 year old Kohler with the same problem. My diesel marine generator 9EKZOD had some water intrusion and the stator is now fried. Aren't these supposed to be "marine" generators? When I went to replace the stator Kohler stated they only had 1 spare available. They shipped it FedEx and promptly lost it. I am going to replace my generator with a Northern Lights generator. Kohler has a poorly designed generator which is frankly junk. They should stick with faucets