Kaplan SAT/ACT/PSAT Prepmisrepresentation and failure to refund purchase price

Check out the Dallas area Better Business Bureau report at the below listed url for The SAT and ACT Prep Center in Coppell TX. The managment keeps spewing their replies on various web sites (go ahead and Google them up), but I have to wonder why they do not reply to the Dallas Better Business Bureau?

I also wonder where they get the phone nubmers and information on the students taking the test. I checked with our childs counselor at the high school and at no time have they released this information. I am also wondering is the SAT and/or ACT is selling this info to these people? We have a registered do-not-call phone numer...so where did this company get our childs information??????????????

This whole situation is not satisfactory and I would like some kind of reply from these people as to where they got our childs information. They cut my phone call off today when I told them I was going to pursue the matter with my credit card company before I could ask them to inform me as to where they got tis information. I wonder what they will do when I contact the Attorney General of Ohio? I wonder if there may be some Federal issue with them using the phone for this scam? $119.99 for a 10 buck product with no chance to return if opened? What a bunch of hooey!

Me thinks I smell a rat!

PT Barnum
Somewhere in OH

SAT and ACt Prep Inc. Feb 24, 2009

Mr Barnum,
    You will be filed with a fat lawsuit if you continue to post fraud and slanderous complaints. YOUR STUDENTS CONTACT US VIA ONLINE OR COLLEGE CAREER DAY.

We are an honest Company and there are no rules broken by our Company. We have discussed with you your case and that is why you lost your dispute.

If you continue we will be left to file a defamation and slander lawsuit.

As for BBB we do not dignify them and we will answer their complaints at our earliest convenience. The BBB is not a credible source and individuals think they are Government. THEY ARE PRIVATE ENTITY.
    Frances Stuart

• Jn
    JnP Apr 10, 2009

Here is the Ripoff warning about companies such as this from kaptest.com (owner's of the Kaplan test prep program):

Please be aware that individuals claiming to be associated with Kaplan have been soliciting customers via telephone attempting to sell Kaplan's retail SAT/ACT/PSAT CD-Rom product ($39.99-$49.99) bundled with their own non-Kaplan products at a significant markup in price. Kaplan does not sell its retail products through individual sales calls but through authorized distributors, vendors and our online bookstore at kaptest.com. If you receive calls of this type from someone claiming to be affiliated with Kaplan, please be cautious and aware of what you are purchasing before you make a purchase. If you think you may have been misled or victimized by such a company, you should report the matter to your credit card company and either your local Better Business Bureau or Attorney General's office as appropriate. To confirm any product or program information, visit Kaplan's official site at kaptest.com, or call 1-800-KAP-TEST (527-8378).

• Mj
    mjjdcajp Jun 26, 2009

My mother actually paid money as well. I'm trying to find someone to contact so she could get her money back. Did you have any luck in this?

annony_mouse Jul 01, 2009

I'm a previous employee of this company. They have changed their name and now location in an attempt to disguse their previous wrong doings. (They now call themselves the Student Resource Center.) Your students did not check an interest however I'm not sure where they are buying the names from. I know quite a few times I contacted someone who was really the student's "Emergency Contact" so your guess is as good as mine. I had to quit once I realized what they were doing to these unsuspecting parents. I heard they were raided recently by the Texas Attorney General. The owners are just using your money for their own purposes. They own multiple homes, drive nice vehicles, but won't even pay their employees their due wages. The owners are just bad people. Stay as far away as you can from them. If you are looking to get your money back, I'd say you're probably up the creek without a paddle. Just write it off as a lesson learned. And if Frances wants to come after me for "slander", I say let her.

• Fl
    Florinda72 Jan 30, 2010

I was the victim of an attempt in Maryland under the company name PSAT Test Center at www.psatstudent.com. They charge $180 for software worth $25. After they wouldn't return my calls I contacted by credit card company and disputed the charge and returned the software unopened. They don't return calls, your emails get returned. After disputing the charge I received a nasty voice mail from a company representative indicating that they will send my account to collections in an attempt to collect from me. I say "Good Luck". They apparently have access to a student database, because I received the call about 2 weeks after my daughter took the test. Just say "no"

• Pa
    PASPA Feb 12, 2010

I was just contacted a moment ago by someone claiming to be from the Kaplan test center about their cd rom test materials. He said something about raising test scores by 80%. I was cautious because I had been contacted in December. Same kind of call by a woman. I honestly declined the offer because I wanted to discuss with husband and daughter at the same time and they both would not give me a phone number to call back, Then I realized they might not be who they said they were. They want your credit card number and stress that you can get your money back if you are unhappy with it. this is a scam. They did have my daughter's name also.

PLASE ADJUST MY CREDIT CARD

MY CREDIT CARDS NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED

MY CREDIT CARD NEEDS TO BE CORRECTED

CALL ME

MESSEDUP Apr 11, 2011

I NEED A PHONE NUMBER I CAN CALL YOU AT.