Jewel-Osco / kosher carrot cupcakes allergen mislabeling

United States Review updated:

I purchased kosher carrot cupcakes on Sunday, June 16, 2019 from the Evanston Jewel on Howard (2485 West Howard Street). Since I have a severe tree-nut allergy, I always read ingredient labels multiple times thoroughly. I was surprised when the carrot cupcakes didn't list tree nuts on the ingredients label, but was excited to purchase them since I enjoy carrot cake. On Monday, June 17th, 2019, I decided to have a cupcake after dinner. Upon the first bite my tongue began tingling and my throat became itchy. I looked at the cupcake and noticed what appeared to be walnuts. I immediately administered my epi-pen and took Benadryl, which thankfully prevented my reaction from becoming full blown. Had I not taken the medication right away, I would have had a full blown anaphylactic reaction.

Due to the illness and monetary damages that this mislabeling caused me, I would like full reimbursement for my epinephrine medication and for this item to be recalled from shelves until it is properly labeled to prevent others from harm. In addition, due to the severity of this mislabeling, I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau, the FDA, and the Evanston Health Department. I am contemplating pursuing legal action if this complaint is not handled appropriately and to my satisfaction.

I can be reached by phone [protected] or email [protected]@gmail.com.
[name removed]

• Updated by smasliansky, Jun 19, 2019

kosher carrot cupcakes allergen mislabeling
Sm
Jun 19, 2019

Comments

•   Jun 19, 2019

The label clearly states that they are processed on equipment that previously had peanuts or tree nuts run through them.

Perhaps you should get glasses or reading classes before you purchase any more food.

You’re wasting the time of agencies that handle serious issues.

• Ns
      Jun 20, 2019

Hi SubSquirrel-perhaps you should get glasses and not shame someone for posting a valid complaint about a life threatening incident. A label that states that its processed on shared equipment means there could be traces of the ingredient that could cause a reaction. A trace amount is very different than the large chunks of nuts I saw in the posted picture. Jewel is clearly in violation. Please keep your nasty comments to yourself.

•   Jun 20, 2019

Naw, i like posting here and shall continue to do so. Your complaint is that the label didn’t list Tree nuts. They say Tree nuts had been processed and not that the amount was large or small.

My glasses are fine and I grew up eating Kosher foods. I’m aware of the language used on labels.