Jeffrey W. Hitt Attorneylegal services

1 Review updated:

I retained Jeffrey W. Hitt to modify my divorce decree. Jeffrey filed a petition to modify and took 3 months to serve my ex husband. He promised to reach an agreement with opposing counsel or obtain a hearing date before the judge. Despite multiple promises Jeffrey did neither. As a result he decided to withdraw from my case and told me that I could have a partial refund of my retainer. I asked multiple times for an itemized billing statement to see what my retainer was used for and to have a copy of my file and contract. I have not received neither. Jeffrey said he filed a motion to withdraw from my case and after a couple of weeks and difficulty retaining another attorney, I called the court house to find out what the problem was. Jeffrey did not include an order in his motion and so the judge wouldn't be able to sign off on his request. He lies, and misleads about what he can do. After multiple complaints and threats to file grievances with the State Bar of Texas, I finally received and very inflated itemized statement that ensured I won't get a refund. This is a dishonest man that had no problems stealing from a single mom. He has no office or secretary and works from home. As a result, he is difficult to reach. I regret that I retained him and did so at the recommendation of a good friend. Big mistake. Please do not make the same mistake I did. Please do not hire this attorney.

• Updated by monicadunaway1972, Aug 30, 2019

I retained Jeff to modify my divorce decree. He was highly recommended by a friend that he represented a long time ago. Jeff promised to come to an agreement with opposing counsel or get a hearing before a judge in my case. Jeff did neither. He has no office, or secretary and is slow to take calls and deliver anything. It took him 3 months to serve my ex husband. He said it took a long time to serve my ex because the court house because it was filed in the wrong district, but I believe he was likely the one that made the error. After being unable to reach an agreement with opposing counsel or get a hearing date, Jeff suggested that he withdraw from my case and give me a $1500 refund since all he did was file a petition and serve my ex husband and my retainer and filing fees given were a total of $2900. I asked multiple times for a detailed and itemized invoice. I only received one after making threats to file a grievance with the State Bar of Texas. Jeff inflated my bill so not to give me a refund and refuses to take my calls, responds to email or do what is right. The withdrawal from my case was taking a long time. I had to call the court house to find out why and was told the Jeff filed the motion to withdraw, but left out the order and so the judge couldn't sign off on the withdrawal. He is incompetent, misleading, and robbed this single mom of $2900 and left me worse off than I was already. I had to retain a new attorney and it cost me additional money. I am taking the steps necessary to file a grievance against this attorney. In the mean time…. Please do not hire him or you will certainly regret it.

Mo
Aug 29, 2019

Comments

•   Aug 29, 2019

This attorney and ex-husband now have something very positive in common. They no longer have to deal with your miserable self. I can just hear you calling and nagging him constantly. These things are a process and I am glad he provided you with an itemized bill in the end that charged you full price. After all, with him having to check his answering machine every six seconds for your meandering whining, that could get pricey. He did not steal from you, he billed you for the work he was performing. You are misrepresenting the situation and showing who the actual dishonest person is here. For those of us keeping score, that's you.

Hope that helps!

Your friend,

Biggus Dickus

•   Aug 29, 2019

What a whiny little [censored]. Demanding immediate attention from your attorney is ludicrous. He can work from home and it isn’t your concern.
    Calling him a “dishonest man” in a public forum hopefully gets you a lawsuit for defamation of character and business.

You seem quite difficult to work with and I’m glad that he didn’t have to return money to you. To file a claim with the state board is just astounding to me. I hope he’s notified of this complaint and takes action against you.

•   Aug 29, 2019

Wow, you pasted this complaint on at least twenty websites. I’m hoping that you are served and spend thousands and thousands of dollars to fight and lose the defamation cases.

•   Aug 30, 2019

My god. you wanna know why now two men want nothing to do with you???

This!!!

Jeez! thanks a lot! you're the reason why single guys are such tools now! they dont want to bother with a [censored] and apparently, all they come across is [censored]es!

•   Aug 30, 2019

Um, I was notified that you posted but it appears to have been deleted. I guess common sense answers are deemed bad t times and they remove them.