Inhabit LivingBad service

I understand companies have policies to protect themselves from consumers & businesses. However, companies should also be flexible in their policy & make exceptions in special circumstances.

In Inhabit Living's case, they refused to allow a return of down-fill pillows purchased through their online store.

The reason for the return request: I didn't know my family is allergic to down feathers until they started sneezing, eyes tearing and difficulty breathing after one of the pillow packages opened.

Inhabit Living holds me as the mother responsible for not being more careful about ordering their product and putting my family in jeopardy.

Inhabit Living feels I should live up to their policy regardless of my initial sincere interest in their items.

If I had known about the down feather allergies, I would have saved myself the hassle of spending a good amount of money on their merchandise.

If I had known about Inhabit Living's level of customer service, I would have clicked on to another website.

And If I had double-checked with the Better Business Bureau, I would have discovered they have a UNSATISFACTORY rating.

• Mi
    Mike Tuttle Aug 06, 2008

Hi this is Mike Tuttle, I am the owner of Inhabit. I have dealt directly with customer directly and I would like to fill in the points that were conveniently left out in order to position our company in a bad light.

I would first like to say we post our policies clearly on each page of the site to avoid circumstances like this. We provide detailed information of the contents and material used in our products along with pictures to help our customers make educated decisions about the buying process.

We have worked very hard to keep as much of our manufacturing in the USA as possible and we have greened almost every aspect of our business practices to provide customers with the healthiest products possible that we can affordably produce and sell at a fair price. We hand print these particular items to order in the USA which is why we are unable to accept returns on them. We make this information painfully obvious on the site so customers have all the information they need to make a decision.

What was also left out is I offered to reimburse this customer at my expense for reasonably priced polyfill inserts to replace the inserts causing the allergic reaction. I was given an ultimatum by her that I must do the research, purchase the pillow inserts, ship them to her in Hawaii or she would contact her credit card company and dispute the charges. Which I am sure she did. And in this case the credit card company will take the money from us and return in to her without question and her never having to return the product back to us. So she gets her money back and keeps the product despite every attempt on our part to make this right. This whole situation could have been prevented by her simply reading the information available before making the purchase.

And to insinuate we hold her responsible is just not true. My comment to her was if this was a health concern I would have though this would have been the first thing she would have checked since the majority of high end pillows come with a feather, down or some combination thereof insert.

We take our customers concerns very serious which is why the owner of the company deals with a good majority of these types of issues in an attempt to understand our customer better. We also believe that by having clear cut policies it makes it very easy to do business with us. Not a hindrance. Unfortunately as hard as we try sometimes you just cannot make some people happy. I would be more than happy to share the actual transcripts from my conversations with this customer to show we did make every attempt possible. If interested my e-mail address is [protected]@inhabitliving.com.

Matt Aug 16, 2008

Dear Mike Tuttle,
    Simply put, NEVER go public with this sort of response.
    1) It's a petty complaint that most consumers would never be able to relate too. I just did a quick google search on the prevalence of this allergy, and found this quote from the HSN.com site "Studies show that less than 1% of the population is allergic to down and feathers." Additionally, given the price point on the majority of your products, I assure you that most of your consumers are seeking down material.
    2) The person filing the complaint is evidently irrational and emotional based on the "jeopardy" comment. We can all identify a hissy-fit, in-person or virtually.
    Bottom line, she's a nut who is merely looking to sully the reputation of your company to the best of her capabilities.

I found this "incident" while googling your company in hopes of finding tips on the wall flats. The adhesive doesn't seem to be working too well. Any advice to ensure they are secure? Also, any advice on the type of paint and application process to avoid warping? Contact me via email. Thanks!

• Je
    Jetset76 Oct 20, 2011

This company is fraudulent and refuses to credit returns for purchases made. The owner, Mike Tuttle, blames the customer above all else--which makes for bad business. Please do not buy anything from this company unless you want to receive the most horrific customer service you have ever experienced in your life. I have reported him to the Better Business Bureau.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices