Indpendence towers (130 Clymer street) Brooklynnoise and music

L Review updated:

This is a formal complaint about public housing Apartment building 130 Clymer street... Independence Towers. This building is getting worse by the minute. I mostly stay at home because I lost my job and I'm trying to get back on my feet. From morning through night there are several floors where people play their music from 7:30Am through 12AM. This is impossible. These are people who never work. They stay and make their children stay home and play music and job on the floors and walls 24/7. I have sent several complaints to the NYCHA and they did sent out notices to the floors that are the worse but these people seem to dont' care. I know this is affordable housing but people should have respect for their neighbors. These people use hammers and drills to fix up their apartments, have people living with them that shouldn't be in the building, play music from dust until dawn and nothing, I mean it's getting so out of hand I have to go to my friends houses just to sleep and get some peace. I don't want rude people who think playing music and having their children jump on the floors and walls drive me out of my home. Something needs to be done about this building. Also on top of that the urinating in the steps and elevators is enough. Loud music and rude people is one thing but human or animal urine on the steps and elevators is another. I feel unsafe in my own building which was once a decent place to live. Now I feel unsafe and afraid to say anything to this rude people that play music. These people don't feel that following the lease they got that playing music so loud that you can hear it out the windows and doors or walking down the steps is okay. Someone from the main office should come and inspect this building and in force the rules and show people that it's a must to follow their lease. Also there are people who throw food and animal food out the windows. This building is getting ridiculous to live in. Something must be done to improve this building. These people who don't follow the rules should be forced to leave the building. I feel like me and my family is not safe anymore in this 130 Clymer street (Independence Towers) building I was thought living here forever now I feel I need to save up money to find someplace for safer to live. I feel unsafe now.

charlie bensen Mar 09, 2013

I agree. This building used to be a great places to live in during the 80s and 90s. It got worse in the 2000s, people make noise everyday they drop and drag things across the floor and play there music so loud I can hear it from the lower floors they live on. This is ridiculous. This is public housing and people will probably say 'they work and pay their rent, " but it does not mean you have to make other people who want peace to be harassed. Also People who live in 130 Clymer st. have people living in their apartment that should not be living there, and people get away with it. The management office does nothing. This place has rodents running through your apartment even thou my apartment is clean. This is the worse place to live in and it will get worse as the years go on.

• In
    inddependence Towers Jul 30, 2013

I also agree with Public Housing's comment regarding 130 Clymer Street. I grew up in there, at it was great from the 70's up until early 2000. The recent families housing has moved into our development are of a street mentality; apparently these individuals came from real "projects" in the fully street meaning of "projects" (Fort Greene). On or about July 12th there where adult women chanting "fort greene, fort greene" if you liked and miss it so much move back. I live in 130 Clymer street on a mid floor between 1 & 21 and can hear the noise in my apartment all night long. One heavy set women took to sitting on the base of the flag pole, management finally put a fence around it and it was busted twice, this third lock seems to be working; however on 7/26 there was a group of men sitting around the gate on beach chairs, it was very intimidating coming home from a night out with the family to have to walk by this loud group( because they where in the walk way. My next statement may be a serious allegation none the less it is true; anyone can come undercover and confirm for themselves. From a family in the lobby level all through various apartments in the building people are smoking marijuana to the point where the smell seeps out into the hallways, I do not smoke and do not want to smell other people's marijuana nor do I want my children to inhale this while waiting for the elevator. Something has to be done I suggest we all write to our Congress Woman Nydia Velasquez; and write letters to NYCHA, hopefully if enough of us continue to write and complaint something will be done; a lot of the individuals we are complaining about are in violation of their lease.

• Li
    Linda Fedup Aug 07, 2017

This building is still the same but has gotten much worse. People play their music at extreme loud levels. People who live in the apartments have other people living with them, who don't belong. People also fix up their apartments late in the night. I don't know why this continues. NYCHA don't even know how to check on the buildings. I lived here since I was six years old and it has gotten worse since you have people who have been thrown out from other buildings due to not following the rules.

Johanna cruz vega feed up Jun 18, 2019

This is impossible. Not only do I have to deal with people playing music and making noise late at night, but the same people also don't follow the smoking rules. They not only smoke cigarettes but also other items that seep into the apartment I live in with my family. I thought NYCHA suppose to check up on these building, especially this one. What is going on?