Independent Producers of AmericaScam

They have phony lying advertising that says that they are looking for agents but it is a way of marketing their junk. I went there for an interview and the guy said oh, I have filled 2 out of the "only" 3 positions, why should I hire you. He is disqualifying you so you are put on the defensive and trying to convince this person to give you a "position" but then he asks you for a $285 processing fee but says it is the cost of getting the license but that is a lie. HE WILL NOT TELL YOU IT IS A NON-REFUNDABLE processing fee all he will say is that this is to cover the cost of getting the license. But, TO GET AN INSURANCE LICENSE IN FLORIDA DOES NOT COST THAT MUCH. You have just forked over about $600 dollars half of which is this processing fee written in really small letters so you can not see it and he makes you sign it so fast like an idiot because he has been playing with your mind the whole time. Don't fall for it. NON OF IT IS REFUNDABLE. THIS PERSON RICHARD BANVILLE OR ANY OF THESE HEARTLESS VILLAINS WILL NOT TELL YOU THAT IT IS NOT REFUNDABLE, BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE. THIS IS NOT A LEGITIMATE JOB IT IS A SCAM.

saman59 Apr 14, 2009

This is definately a scam. I had the same thing happen to me. However, BEWARE...they have moved this scam to Denver Colorado

• Ea
    eandatoo Apr 18, 2009

I interviewed with these guys myself. I noticed there were so many tell-tale red flags it wasn't funny. The place was totally unprofessional. It was just a short-term leased office complete with provided office furniture, answering service, receptionist, rental conference room - -the whole nine yards. It's for small frys who want to look "big" or traveling snake oil salesmen. The idiot Rick Banvile tried to create a sence of urgency to compell me to fork over the 280 bucks. I didn't like his slimy little cohort either. He looked very shifty from the get-go. I laughed all the way out the door!!

I've run into another one that calls themselves "Lex Marketing". They offer college grads fresh out of school an "executive account manager" position. I ran into these same goons under a different name of "Essential Communication Solutions". Again, I noticed the sloppy red flags. The whole setup was so easily portable it was pathetic. When it looks like someone has gone to a lot of trouble making their name sound impressive, look out.

Mark B. Apr 18, 2009

My name is Mark B. and I have found IPA to be a great opportunity. The career is not for bthe faint of heart. I work hard and am rewarded handsomely with all the promises made to me. I too had to pay $285 for my appointment fees and background checks which is common with quality company's. It beats dropping $50k-$200k on a business that may or may not succeed.

It was made clear to me what the costs were, I signed and recieved an itemized receipt which is tax deductible. It was obvious and made clear on my receipt that I couldn't ask for a refund because I failed to keep up my end of the bargain. Which was to pass the state exam and start the program. I have been with the company now for two years and it absolutely has changed my familys life in terms of financial security and freedom.

I am not surprised when people blame their failures on others, it is human nature. This complaint site is hoakie and for winers.
    I suggest you check out cerdible sites like www.ipafamily.com and http://finance.yahoo.com/news/AM-Best-Company-Affirms-Group-pz-14200385.html

I currently make more than 100k per year and am well on my way to financial freedom.

I am proud to work here,

• Tb
    tbplayer Apr 26, 2009

When will we learn ... a fool and his money is soon parted. Mark B??? That sounds legit too. I was contacted by these clowns under numerous headings offering me a VP posit. When I told them to get lost after their unsolicited contact they made it sound like I had the problem. All one needs to do is read about all the online scams that are out there. The traditoinal scams are stil out there too.

• Sc
    Scott H Apr 30, 2009

I went to the home site for this company and couldn't figure out how to BUY insurance (not that I would). That seems to be their main product yet there is no way to buy it online. Any legit insurance company would have info on the insurance...sounds like a scam to me. The link provided above for Yahoo finance is for Independence Holding which buys blocks of insurance from other companies and it bleeding money with huge losses last year.

• Mj
    MJ423 May 18, 2009

Mark B. is clearly part of the scam from this company - the verbage and poor grammar/punctuation (quality company's?? familys life??... really a person that makes 100K+/year knows better). It reads just like the original recruitment email I received from them - all buzzwords, all crap.

• Ed
    Eds May 24, 2009

I should've known. I just got an email from them telling me they want an interview. Where did they find my qualifications in Hospitality? I sold food not insurance. These guys annoy the [censored] outta me. Already been through a similar interview years ago with Primerica. I'm tryna earn 280 bucks, not cough it up.

• Su
    SugahBelle Jun 09, 2009

wow...I'm SO glad I thought to google this company first. Having been recently laid off from my job of nearly 15 years, I've been posting my resume on the job sites (monster.com, hotjobs.com, etc.), and I just received an email from IPA a few moments ago confirming an interview with them for next Thursday. I haven't even talked to these folks!

Still, when I went to their website, it seemed to me that the verbage read like a Quixtar (Amway) conference...c'mon now...nowhere does it offer a link for "Careers" but...The Opportunity??? Since I'm familiar with the Quixtar "plan", that was a serious 'red flag' for me; I then did the google search & came across the scam/###/rip-off warnings.

Jaimie Jun 15, 2009

scam is in Michigan now and the pieceofshit heading it up calls himself daniel CONrado

• Ha
    Happy in TN Jun 17, 2009

I have been with Independent Producers for 2 years. The opportunity is a Career not a Job. Do Real Estate Agents, Financial Planners...just become Pro's over night NO...You will have an upfront $285 that covers among other things...Criminal Background checks...State and Federal. Set up, maint, and occasional upgrades to your personal website, email, and business status portals. Business Cards, and Association Membership, and State required appointments with all of the Carriers we offer. We cater to Small business, self-employed, and contract laborers who do not have benefit packages at their work. We offer them protection that you CANNOT get by being an individual subscriber to an insurance company...get sick and see your rates sky-rocket. Not so with our programs. If you are faint of heart, cant motivate yourself to work then this isnt the place for you. But if you are a worker, can follow proven methods to develop your business. If you have the drive to make 60K your 1st yr and 100K after that, then you will have the support and ongoing training you need to succeed. At the end of the day it would appear that either some people did not have the money to get what they need to sell in their state or they are determined to work for an hourly wage for "the man". I personally enjoy working with my Regional in Middle Tennessee, Wayne isnt my baby-sitter, but is available to me whenever I have needed him, and has helped me generate business I would not have thought possible. Sales and Marketing of goods and services is not for everyone. But I have enjoyed helping people and saving them money. I highly recommend Independent Producers of America-Nashville

• Ha
    Happy in TN Jun 17, 2009

Hey, Troy here. I have been employed with IPA for 6 months. It is exactly what they say it is. It is not a Multi-level-marketing company, it is not a scam, as one of the comments mention. These are people looking to help the self-employed or small business owner have access to Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Dental, Critical Illness/Accident Policies. I am not sure what all the few complaints here are all about. My mom is a Real Estate Agent and it cost her $800 for an 8 week course and has to buy an E&O insurance policy for another $875 a YEAR to operate in Kentucky. Look the $285 is to cover many things about your business, they are not taking your money...ask them how that breaks down and what it is for they will share it with you...no confusion, no mystery. They don't want any crooks working for this company...there are plenty of those out there in this Industry...it is sad. But if you have the motivation to get up in the morning, and go to work. Work the way you are taught and ask for the help you need then you can make a good living with IPA. I will make $50, 000 in my first 10 months. The sky is the limit. My National just was promoted to Corporate, and my Divisional took his position. They are expanding accross the country, and there is a lot of opportunity for promotion. But as far as complaints...I think Walmart has nearly 3000 complaints...people it is a store...some folks are funny...I wonder how many Mastercard has??? or Geico, or my bank. Have a great day

• Ad
    adam the lawyer Jun 18, 2009

I have researched licenses to sell health insurance, nor does it come close to 280 dollars, but you get most of the money back from the state. They are saying to join you pay $280 for the license, background check, and training. Everyone knows you don't pay for a background check or training for a company you applied for. This company is obviously involved in money laundering. It seems that in this country now a days, employees and customer do not have any rights any more. In the state of Florida, it is illegal to deduct any money from an employees check unless it benefits the employee, regardless from fraud or any other illegal activities the employee is involved in. The way they are involved in money laundering; they find any reason to deduct illegally from an employees check and because they are a commission structure company, I guarantee they can hide it from you, the public, and as well as the I.R.S. If they can continue to deduct on every employees check weekly or biweekly for number of years, it adds up. Do not be fooled by their professional website, its very easy for someone with no experience to create a website even better then theirs. If the company was professional; they would pay for the the license for you when hired. All the people on this [redacted] page that disagrees that this is a scam; first go to Independent Producers Of America's website, read what they half to say, then go to and read these disagreements; do you notice the similar writing form. Its definitely a scam, be careful with these people. Report them if needed(wages and hour board).

wickedatheist Jun 20, 2009

Thank you so much for warning me about this company. After posting my resume' on an online job site, I got an unsolicited email for an interview with them. I don't have $285. to my name, anyway, but I can spend that morning looking for work instead of wasting it.

• Sb
    sbayliss Jun 24, 2009

Thank you for posting all this information. I am like everyone else I don't have $280 to give anyone. I need a job to make money for my family but I can't afford to give any upfront. I posted my resume online and I received an email from them for an interview at like 11:45pm. I thought that was kind of strange so my husband told me to research the company and find out if it is a scam! I am in Arizona and the place they told me to interview is a rent for the day or week office location.

• Wo
    working hard Jun 24, 2009

I have been with IPA for six months. Prior to that I was with another insurance company that is over 130 years old with $5.5 billion in assets on hand. I have found IPA to be much more integrity based than my prior company in every way. As for the $285 it was clearly explained to me what it covered and I was NEVER told it covered licensing but was told licensing would be an additional cost to the $285 but that to be appointed with the company I had to have state issued credentials through the DOI. My previous company charged all first year agents 9% of their commissions for "administrative costs" which I never liked even after I didn't pay that fee any longer. The $285 covers everything I have needed to get up and going including all the technology needs I have had. Everything I was told has been accurate thus far and the professionalism surpasses my previous firm that is a well known, long-standing name in the insurance industry. I am working long hours, but I haven't found a career yet that one can earn six figures in and do little for it. The team I am part of has two attorneys, a successful financial planner(was making $290K a year with a large national bank), and several insurance agents from other companies like NY LIfe, John Hancock to name a couple. This work is not easy so I would recommend anyone wanting to make significant dollars without long hours, stay away from the selling profession all together! You won't make it without lots of hard work!

wickedatheist Jun 24, 2009

Honest companies don't operate that way. They don't tell you that you have an interview, without mentioning that you're wasting your time if you don't have a spare $285. bucks lying around.

What "everything" does that cover? Because employers pay for background checks and training. Any state license fees would be paid to the state.

• Bi
    Bill H. Jul 11, 2009

My name is Bill H., and I don't see anyone else putting their full names on ths site. I also work for IPA with great success. I wasn't offered a job, I was offered a career. I have been with the company for 1 year now and am pacing about $90k, but man it ain't easy. I am very satisfied with the company and the products. My well explained investment of $285 was more than reimbursed to me with a $500 check when I hit the minimum requirements.

Seems like the complainers on this site, made the investment and didn't follow through. Now, they are crying because they want their money back.

I am running a business here and helping people, and I thank God every day for this opportunity. I am so grateful that I am making money, helping people, providing for my family and have a real hope for the future.

Glad that I made the leap of faith,
    Bill H. in Florida

• Th
    This is Jon Jul 14, 2009

Jon K in Chicago. I think that a lot of these proffessional complainers on here don't understand business. There are fees involved! Get over it. What do you get in return. Also, working as an independant contractor, you will always have to pay for things yourself. However, if you have the true work ethic, then you will experience the kind of success where the cost of the fees won't matter. This is silly folks. Any real proffessional knows this. Obviously these people are just looking for a job and don't want to make any real money. Good luck whith that. I just opened an email from them as well, and I will go to meet with them today. Why? Because I understand real business. $280 bucks $600 bucks is not serious money. Try to open a franchise. There is probably not a single one that you could open, and opperate with $600 bucks. You would need at least 10 grand to get into a cleaning company, and make enough money to call it income instead of a hobby. Anyway To thoses who are doing well in this company, thanks for defending IPA. Continue to be blessed. Have a great day!

wickedatheist Jul 31, 2009

They don't present this as a self-employment opportunity. They come on as if they were an employer when they contact people who've posted their resumes on employment websites. If they said, "business opportunity, requires an investment, " most of us would have simply treated it as run-of-the-mill spam and deleted it, rather than reporting it. In my case, I had specifically opted out of self-employment "opportunities" and was looking for an ordinary job. I bet that's the case with everyone else who's complaining about this company here, too. It isn't that we don't understand that you have to invest money when you start your own business, it's that the email they send to lure you into an interview doesn't indicate that you would be getting into anything of the sort, so the whole thing is dishonest and they're wasting the time... and in some instances the money... of job-seekers who often have little time or money to spare.

• Ba
    Bart23 Aug 14, 2009

To all complainers. How can you say anything bad about the company if you never worked there. This is an offer to start your own career and if it takes $285 for you to make 35k-150k I think it is well worth it, at least if you are self employed you don't have to be afraid of being fired again. All of you that complain obviously don't have a desire to work as independent contractor and just looking for somebody to hand you 100k offer without any commitment from your side. Well it isn't like that, nothing come easy and I think Wallmart hires without any commitment as well as Burger King as long as you can flip burgers without dropping them on the floor.
    Have a great career.
    Bart B

Jordan Nash in Florida Aug 19, 2009

Definitely reads as a scam. ALL the signs are there. They get really pissed off and show it in their emails when you ask them to remove your name. I sent all the info to the fraud department at CareerBuilder. If enough people do this, they will not have a way to scam others.

Jordan Nash in Florida Aug 19, 2009

A reputable comapny would NEVER ask for money upfront to sell insurance. NO WAY!

Mark Hunt Aug 23, 2009

This company is going downhill - and it is because of guys like Mark B (Burns for thoseof you who need to know). I hired Mark 2 years ago - and he is the Nations top recruiter - and he has been paid handsomely for it - he doesn't tell you though that less than 2% of his agents even stay with the company for more than a month - I should know - I am his boss. We should have fired him on a cruise 2 years ago when we had a legitimate sexual harrassment complaint against him.

Mark Hunt

• Fl
    Florida Agent Aug 26, 2009

To all you burger-flippers out there,

Don't get mad because an opportunity was laid out in front of you and you didn't take it. IPA is for business-minded people. Why are you crying about $285? That's nothing! If you had been contacted by IPA through a employment site, didn't you do a little homework and check out the company? Didn't you see that it is an "outside sales position" that was available ? It is an insurance agency. Hello??? You need a license to sell insurance!! Just like real estate! Do you think real estate agents complain that they had to get their license before they could sell in the marketplace? I'll bet they had to pay a helluva lot more than $600 to get their business up and running. Keep making excuses for yourself. I'll keep making money. Oh, and by the way, I'll take a #7 with no pickles, a large fries, and a coke.

marymay Aug 31, 2009

FOR THOSE STILL UNSURE
    This is how to tell if things like this are scams: You should NEVER EVER EVER HAVE TO FORK OUT MONEY TO GET A JOB!!! For purchasing a franchise or starting your own independent office where you are self employed, yes maybe- but for a real legit job- no. SO LET ME REPEAT: YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO PAY FOR A LEGIT JOB! And Whats with this "meeting minimum qualifications"?
    I could tell definitely that this "company" was bad news just by the email I received from the "Regional Vice President". Since when does someone that high up respond to resumes online-uh, never. Usually HR only and only in response to an actual application. Besides, it is so easy for anyone to get LLC for their "business" so its typical for small business owners. Real companies in this field would be a General Corporation.
    GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE SAND PEOPLE, AND ACTUALLY RESEARCH THINGS BEFORE AGREEING TO OR SIGNING ANYTHING! ITS CALLED THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. IF THEY AREN'T WITH 'EM YOU SHOULDN'T BE EITHER.
    And for those comments from people saying they work for this company, either they are completely in the dark and are too dumb to tell they've been screwed or they are fake responses from IPA. Just wait and see- all those poor people duped into signing up with this "insurance company" have invested lots of money and when they file a claim, either it will be denied or the "company" will dissolve. They are preying on gullible or ill-educated people, Don't be next.
    Mary from TN

• Js
    J Starz Sep 18, 2009

I agree with marymay, you don't pay someone to get a job. I knew it was a scam because my resume is strictly IT experience yet they are offering me a sales position. Also, read the comments from Happy, he/she tried to put consecutive comments as different people, but didn't change the name! LOL. Those that are defending the company have prewritten responses to sites like this that call out companies like this.

• Sp
    splittp Oct 02, 2009

These types of "opportunities" are coming out of the woodwork as soon as I posted my resume on careerbuilder (I received 4 in 2 days). The best thing that I have done is to google them and see what people are saying about them. Most are not good, however I did receive one from AFLAC and found a blog that really wasn't putting them down as much as it listed a lot of information on what you can expect. Most of the e-mail are written the same way; "I saw your resume on careerbuilder..." Just be cautious.

angelgrl_03 Oct 08, 2009

Denver scam.. just wanted to get the word out his name is Mark Allen here. And I figured it out when it took me an hour to find out what company I was interviewing for. Finally put in his cell phone number!

• Cj
    CJS1979 Oct 08, 2009

None of you get it. Nice made up name Mark Hunt. Is your brother Mike? I don't work there but I've been selling insurance for a LONG time and you ALWAYS have to pay for your license - that means paying your way into the business. A $285 background check is essential because this business is HIGHLY REGULATED and we can't have people who are not responsible working in agencies. Those complaining about the fee most likely can't afford it. You need to find a $30, 000 job and take it up the a** for the rest of your life. If you have a pair hanging between your legs, pay the fee, get your license and work hard. I hate reading posts from momies boys who can't fork up a measly $285 - you make me sick.
    Mike Hunt

• Th
    the lawyer Oct 08, 2009

News flash CJS1979, you do not pay for a background check. You probably do work for them, and if you don't ; then your dumb for paying for a job you didn't even get yet.

• Gr
    grabko09 Oct 09, 2009

I am going for an interview this coming Monday for IPA. I understand the book of business and insurance. I currently have my life and health license; you do have to invest in order to get into any insurance that you are independently contracted. And yes I know you'll have to work long hours at the beginning.
    These insurance companies are not scams and they are not run all the same. They are independent agencies that are contracted to sell their products. So every one is ran differently and I believe that the ethics of each company varies.
    I am looking forward to the interview and hope that I'm a good fit for the company. Best of luck to the unemployed whiners who don't know the process of insurance licensing. Some companies do offer in-house classes and tests so you become licensed. That could be part of the fees. I love helping people and that's why I'm going into insurance. Then I direct my own success by working hard!

• Er
    EricaNoel Oct 20, 2009

I just received an email from 'Mark Allen' about 30 minutes ago:

I reviewed your resume on Careerbuilder.com today. I am currently seeking an extremely professional account executive in our sales and marketing department. After reviewing your resume, I feel your skills and experience would be an excellent match for this position. I would like to move forward with an interview. I have an opening on Wednesday, October 21, 2009 at 10:00 am to meet with you. If that time is suitable, please reply to my email to confirm the interview, or call me at [protected]. Please provide a good contact number that I may reach you. I am looking forward to speaking with you soon.

Highest regards,

Mark Allen

Regional Sales Leader

Mark Allen and Associates

[protected]

Directions
    We are located at 4251 Kipling #170 Wheat Ridge, CO 80033. We are on Kipling about a half mile south of I 70. From I 70, drive south on Kipling. Go through the intersection at 44th and take your first right which is 43rd. Go west one block on 43rd and turn left into the parking lot. We are in the five-story red brick office building. Please arrive no later than 9:50 am. Also, please bring a hard copy of your resume. The attire is professional business. I am looking forward to meeting with you on Wednesday, October 21 at 9:50 am.

I was curious when there was no website address and after sending him a request for a website, I never heard back. With further researching, I found the IPA information which linked me here. I definitely will not be attending the interview... thank you to all who take the time to warn others.

It's much appreciated!

• Mi
    Michael B. Oct 21, 2009

Received the same as above today (date change to 10.22.2009 is the only difference). No details of the interview nor company website rules this one out very quickly.

• Le
    Lee Ales Oct 22, 2009

I received the same e-mail and something about it just didn't ring true. So, I googled the phone number and found your comments. I am very happy I did because I did seem odd. I have already been burned once before by a company called American Business Benefits Association (ABBA), which sent me an e-mail very similar to the one from Mark Allen. This company was also looking for sales executives and promised tremendous wages. I turns out that they will advance you your pay but you also need to pay it back with interest. In addition, they wanted me to pay for my background check and to pay training to get a license to sell health insurance. Times are tough, especially for those of us looking for employment so we all need to be on the lookout for those who will try to swindle people who just want to make a living and provide for our families.

Lee Ales

• Re
    RebeccaWalt Oct 27, 2009

I just received the same email, but this time it did not include a phone number, but did offer a website. After some digging, it seems that "Account Executive" is just a fancy name for a Sales Person.

Dear *******

We are expanding in North Carolina, and we are seeking candidates to fill our Account Executive position. I would like to invite you to an interview in our North Carolina Office on Friday, October 30th at 10:00 a.m.

Please reply back with your name, interview time and contact number to confirm your interview. The purpose of the interview will be to discuss the specific details of the position including compensation.

We are a member of the Independence Holding Group (NYSE:IHC). A $1.3 Billion dollar publicly traded company. Please review our website at www.independenceholding.com

Please arrive 15 minutes early and dress in Professional Attire.
    Below are the directions and the address for the interview.
    I look forward to meeting you in person to further discuss this career opportunity.

North Carolina Regional Office:

Regional Sales Leader
    [protected]@ipa-america.com

• Bo
    Bobby Pizano Oct 29, 2009

That is because you are all a bunch of losers. You were in elementary school, Jr. high school, and you probably didn't finish high school. If you did, you were a loser then as well. I am going to work for IPA. I will be successfull. They weed out the weak, like yourselves. Get a life and go work at McDonalds where you belong. You bunch of queers.

Bobby Pizano

• Wo
    wolfsgto Nov 01, 2009

Thanks to all the warnings. I was scheduled for Tue.9am here in Denver. I too thought it strange that I could not get info or find a website. I wont say how I came to find out about IPA Colorado mark allen but thanks also to google.

jasonusmc Nov 06, 2009

I had previously contacted a consulting firm about a position sales position. Ironically, the company's name was Mark Allen & Associates. You can imagine the my excitement when I was contact for an interview by the Mark Allen & Associates. Fortunately, I was doing my preliminary interview prep work and found out about this little scam. The IPA Mark Allen and the Mark Allen that I was trying to work for are two different companies. I am glad I didn't' waste my time to drive 2 hours each way to interview with the wrong company.

• Sc
    Scambuster181818 Nov 09, 2009

I received this same email, but I did a little snooping and on google maps he is registered as Allen Mark
    Unit 170, 4251 Kipling St, Wheat Ridge, CO
    [protected]‎

The phone # listed on the internet sounds like a fax machine.

• Ju
    Just Russ Nov 10, 2009

*Yawn*

Guys like "Pizano" are the true "dime-a-dozen".

Those of us who have actually worked sales have legitimate concerns- if you are a respective employee [recruit, etc] and there is an "up-front fee" to commit to any line of business- that fee is redacted from their initial pay at the start of their [true] employment- not at the time they sign a bunch of "legalese".

I'm going to be interested in "grabk009's" position once he's been hit with the company's hard-sell and that his licensing 'doesn't count with this kind of select service".

ALL industries- even the motion picture/television industries- have strict laws governing the hiring and utilization of a work-force. This IPA "group" [gypsies most likely] is nothing more than a loosely collected MLM facade designed to fleece-n-leave.

I've seen- and yes, even been seduced once- by this scam.

It is a scam.