Idearc MediaScam and cheating!

A Review updated:

We notified Idearc Media Rep that we did not want to renew our contract in Jan. 2007. He took the call, but didn't tell us that we had to contact them in writing. In March 2007, we wrote a letter to Idearc Media regarding the renewal of our advertising contract. We finally received a response in May 2007 that our contract would not be renewed in Jan. 2008 !! We received notification from a collection agency in Sept 2007. Payment was made by electronic funds.

Two weeks later, Idearc had not posted the electronic payment. When we called they said that the person taking the electronic payment didn't process it correctly and that we would have to pay it again, which we did. Amazing, the next day BOTH electronic payments were posted. We not had a credit.

Nov. 2007 request was made for refund. A call on Jan. 2, 2008 assured us that the refund was being processed, would take 4-6 weeks.

Jan 28, 2008, we received a new bill. It seems that the new directory wasn't going to be printed until Feb. so we were charged another month of directory service. We were told the "old" request for refund was not processed, so a "new" request would be made and it would take 4 - 6 weeks to process.

Don't make any electronic payments or credit card payments to this company. In fact, don't do any advertising with this company - they are rip off artists!

• L
      Jan 17, 2008

I set up with Synethia Turner, a prominent sales rep at the company, for book advertising 4 months ago. I recently got my copy of said yellow pages, and my ad was nowhere to be found. When I try to call her to find out why my ad hasn't been placed, she avoids me and doesn't return my calls.

This is not the first issue that I've had in regards to advertising with this company. If you must advertise in any of Idearc's (Verizon) phone books, get everything in writing...

Mar 27, 2008

These accusations of scams at Idearc are unfounded.

Idearc Media is an extremely reputable ethical company. All invoices have contact numbers right on the invoice for you to call if you have questions. If your complaint is legitimate and if you overpaid for advertising you will get a refund. Idearc works with it's customers for all kinds of accomodations and pay arrangments to make sure they can advertise, even when they are months behind in their bills. This advertising usually is the very thing that makes businesses successful. What do you think is making the telephone ring at a Pizza place, or for a contractor, pest control services, physicians offices etc? It's the phone book!!! They even design the ads at no extra cost.

This site talks about cancellations not being processed. A cancellation must have proper authorization. Leaving a voice mail or stating abruptly that you want to cancel and then hanging up is not legally binding. All advertisers are notified of their renewals and of any rate changes etc . All are given a number to call if they want to cancel. Idearc honors ALL properly authorized cancellations and if a mistake happens where an ad gets printed in error, if the cancellation authorization is on file, then Idearc issues a credit. Every time, no exceptions. Idearc has a record of all renewal signatures and voice recorded authorizations (RAP) If you bought it, you have to pay for it like anything else in this world.

For smaller accounts renewals are done by mail. In the letter it states clearly that your ads or listings will be renewed unless you notify Idearc in writing. Or you can contact a sales rep and do the RAP authorization over the phone. The letter also contains a number to call. You can't just leave a message and hang up. It's simply not legally binding. Any unauthorized person could ruin a business by cancelling ads that the business needs. Idearc has to be careful in order to protect its customers. Idearc is not all that difficult to get a hold of. I have called the customer service and billing deparments many times with questions and have always been able to get through and get my issues resolved.

Or, if your account is being handled by a rep, you must return the rep's call and properly authorize the cancellation with a signature or a RAP recording if your renewal is under a certainly monthly amount. You must get the confirmation number for the cancellation. If you do that everything will be fine. Idearc has excellent relationships with the large majority of it's customers and Idearc bends over backwards to provide a great service at an honest price. Thanks to Idearc thousands of businesses are succeeding and people are prospering. There is no scam here, just good solid business practices for your protection and Idearc's.

Jul 15, 2008

Idearc is not an ethical company. They know at all levels of their company that their sales team will do and say anything to maintain or sell an account, including fraud and lying. I have spoken to many service personel in Idearc that readily admit that they use fraud and deceit, but refuse to do anything about it.

I refuse to do business with them and I am also looking into switching away from verizon as I do not want to support a company that allows this kind of business to represent them.

Jul 22, 2008
    Idearc Media - Failed to preform

Idearc took my money for an ad in one of their publications then the publication folded. No refund, no results, no response to my complaints. Idearc took my order for Yellow Pages Advertising. They failed to get my number in the White Pages or on 411 information after promising to do so.

Glad to see the other complaints. Next I will send a letter cancelling my advertising so it doesn't renew.

Aug 07, 2008

I beg to differ with Sue. I was harrassed into agreeing to an ad that I didn't want. I listened carefully to the recorded statement that all cancellations had to be requested in writing, within 14 days. And that I would receive the address in the welcome package. That was 4 April. The welcome package arrived on 11 April. I carefully read the cancellation instructions, noting that the address to mail the cancellation to was a post office box. But, I could fax the written request to the specified number.

I faxed the cancellation request on 11 April at 10:31 pm and received a confirmation of successful transmission. At the end of April, I received a bill for a month's advertising. I immediately called the company number. The rep I spoke to said the fax had not been received. Asked what number I had sent it to. Was told that the number was not located in the appropriate office. Would I refax it to the number she gave me. I did. She received it, and said that she would have the charges removed as I had complied with the 14 day stipulation.

At the end of May I received a bill for the 1st month and also the second month. I called again, furious I admit, and was told that the account had not been cancelled. I asked to speak to the rep whom I had dealt with previously (her "direct line phone number" was a call center number). She wasn't answering her phone, so the customer service person I was speaking with instant messaged her. The upshot was that it was taking some time to get the charges dropped.

Then in June, I received a bill for the 1st two months again. I tried calling again, but was informed the computers were down.

Today, I received a bill for the 1st two months, plus 2 months interest. I intend to take the problem directly to the Texas Attorney General and Better Business Bureau, as well as the Dallas Chamber of Commerce.

Sep 16, 2008

Oh please Sue. Its very obvious that you work for Idearc with your knowledge of RAP and all the other BS they have. First of all Idearc does not refund, they offer free products instead of giving up money so your fist point was a blatant lie. Then you say "they even design the ads for no extra costs". Have you seen some of those ads? My nine year old nephew does better work.
    Now lets talk about the cancellations you fraud. You said that Idearc issues a credit if an ad got printed in error and if the have the cancelation on file? Thats just the point. You guys never file the cancellation so it appears as though we, the customers, never contacted you so you renewed the ads based on your infamous terms and conditions.
    Now lets address that RAP nonsense. When I advertised with you guys back in the day, it was called AFNI, not sure its the same thing. My rep must have gotten the voice agreement from his colleague because I surely didn't do it. I called to complain and they said the same bs, "we have a voice recording of the agreement". OK sounds good, can you please play it back for me then? Ofcourse only then when they couldnt do that they stated that only a selected few are recorded. How convenient.
    And lets not talk about the customer "disservice" number. Thats a whole different issue. When my ad was erronously "renewed" it had my old business name since I had changed it. I called customer service to complain and they said, "well thats just the name. Since the number is correct you have to still pay 90% of the charges". What kind of logic is that? Well I never agreed to the damn ad so I finally got my money back after a letter from my attorney.

Now lets talk about the uneducated sleezy managers that Idearc has. Once I tried getting intouch with my reps manager and trust me, its probably easier getting in touch with the pope. Even if you do get to talk to them they are all a bunch of wasted salaries since they ALWAYS have to get "approval". Good luck in getting that done.

• G
      Oct 07, 2008

That complaint word for word could of been written by me.

I finally got my account canceled, however they still want a payment for one last month.

Also, when my ad finally did come down, I saw no impact at all on my business. I would bet I didn't get a single sale off my ad

There are much better places to spend your marketing dollars. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH IDEARC

• P
      Oct 14, 2008

I started advertising with Verizon/Idearc in 2006
    I was contacted by a someone who turned out to be a sales rep (pat temean)only after I went to her house for an estimate to do work. she told me she worked for Verizon, she made them sound liek the next best thing to sliced bread, so I went to tqalk & signed on for the works, told me how I was going to get all this work & how I goint to be able to handle all the wotk I wwas going to get. Well i found out the hard way they are full of it and that they are scam artist's.I have been attempting to get out my contract, a new rep came over and told me how he could change my ad so it would work much better than the first time around, so I signed on another year, what was I thinking, Again a few months later trying to cancel contract, sorry you signed for a year nothing can be done. I have sent letters, faxes, emails, no one responds, noone cares, now I owe them almost $12, 000, when I first tryed to cancel I owed $3, 000.00. I have been contwacte by a collection agency, have sent them letters as well as idearc..no repsonse

what to do now!!!
    I have not paid them much at all, my problem is that if they see you are unable to pay the invoices shouldnt that raise a red flag and they should contact to see if theres a problem. guess not

• A
      Oct 20, 2008

I got Riped off too!
    Hey pass your attorneys number down, please.
    The person signing the contract is not the person being billed, pretty simple common sense. This company renews all adds, so even thought your being told that you are paying for 12/13 months. You are not. In the signed area of the agreement it states "your contract maybe renewed..." Leaving room for the salesman to con you, saying if you chose to renew. At no time was I told or read that I must write a cancled note, in fact the exact opposite was told. I don't get into renewed contracts at all.
    What is this welcome package? As well as the terms and conditions, I didn't get the welcome package.
    Well Idearc Media here is my wecome package. I will tell every business I know how shady you are. Not to mention I got maybe five calls from your ad crappy free set up design.

• Y
      Oct 21, 2008

Very unscrupulous company that should be sued. I will never do business with them again. Thanks to all who have posted complaints. This has helped me and because of the complaints, I will cancel my contract in writing and send certified mail so that it will not be automatically be renewed.
    I wanted to cancel a few months after I signed up with these people because of the incompetent and unscrupulous representative I had to deal with. I too have been lied to and given the runaround, however, I have not seen a copy of my ad which was published in the October yellow book. I had to call the distribution department to request one and I hope that it comes in my lifetime. All I can say is heaven help Idearc Media if my business phone number is not correct because the online ad does not have the correct number. I just want to make sure that the book has the correct number because I have been told that they can correct the online mistake. I shall see but if the book has the incorrect business phone number, then that can't be corrected and I will sue them for every penny I can get. Heaven help them if they place me in collection for failure to pay the bill, this will only give me more ammunition to sue them.

Nov 06, 2008

I placed ads in 2 Idearc phone books: Sewickley, Pa and Washington, pa. The rep that handled the ad was Theresa Brown, rep # 52503. The Sewickley book had my ad in it but the Washington book omitted my name. This is the 2nd year this mistake was made. I placed a call as well as e-mailed Theresa Brown with no return communication. What kind of business is this. Since Verizon turned over their yellow pages to Idearc there doesn't seem to be much concern for the customers. They sure are eager to get your money but not much concern over the quality of work they do. We place ads in the yellow pages to generate business so that our businesses flourish. I am very disgusted. I would like to have a rep from Pittsburgh, Pa to handle my advertising.

Nov 06, 2008

Until I started to read the complaints I thought I was the only one who had such difficulty with Idearc. I like how they take all you info with sincere intent to publish your ad and either publish it wrong or neglect to publish it at all. I agree this company should be sued or turned into the attorney general's office at the very least. When we take the time or waste the time giving all the info to a rep we trust that they will do what they promise to do. So much for the saying "a man is as good as his word".

Nov 07, 2008

I am a business owner and I have been advertising with Idearc/ Verizon since 1999.

In these days everyone knows you have to read terms and conditions for anything that you agree to, whether its a credit card, online purchase or advertisement... reading terms and conditions is something that a good business owner, customer or anyone should be accustomed to since there are many frauds out there. If you read the terms and conditions before you agree to the advertisement, then it wouldnt be a shock to you that you have to cancel in writing, or that there are only 14 days to cancel, or that you would be responsible for the full life of the directory whether its 12, 13 or 14 months- This is all common sense and if you dont have the common sense to read a companies terms and conditions then you clearly dont have the capabilities to run a successful business..

On the idearc contract its clearly states that by signing the contract you agree to the terms and conditions so maybe if you dont agree to those terms you shouldnt sign the contract??

To speak with a sales manager all you have to do is call customer service and advise the customer service rep who the sales rep is and they will gladly get you on the line with the sales manager..

Nobody can force you to sign a contract, everyone is there own person so if anyone feels that someone is harassing them into advertising, they should be contacting the authorities- not complaining about it on a website. Just like you would do if someone else was harassing you..

Obviously in this economy its hard for sales reps to sell ads or anything so they have to work harder to sell them and in turn they dont have the time to answer questions once they sell an ad because they have to move on to the next customer that they are selling to, otherwise they wont meet there numbers and will be fired. So clearly when it comes to getting fired to answer all questions or sell more to keep your job, a rep will sell more.

COMMON SENSE- dont run a business if you dont have it!!!

Nov 25, 2008

OUCH, Maria!!
    That last line HURT... May I share my experience with Idiots - er - Idearc? Last year, I called to advertise in their book. The sales person said that the deadline had passed sometime ago, but if I hurried TODAY, I could sign a faxed agreement to pay 12 installments. She faxed one hardly legible piece of paper, which I saw "one year agreement", and decided to sign.
    FACT: After one year, we received not even ONE call from the listing! I cancelled by jumping through all the proper hoops. Was I ever surprised to get a bill for the 13th installment! I was informed that I signed their terms and conditions which stated under item 25 that if it takes them longer to get the book out to each and every section of covered area, they can bill up to 16 installments!!! Wait a minute: They fail to do their job and I have to pay? Also, I had them mail me the Terms & Conditions. 5 pages of 7 pt narrow type, and it's ino Lawyer Lingo! They should have mailed it to me after I signed the faxed, but they didn't. I am fighting it, and believe me, if they don't back off, I will write the consumer column of the three major newspapers in this area. I will get them where it hurts, 'cause that's just the kind of gal I am!

Nov 27, 2008

I used to work for Idearc Media... I feel bad on what has happened to that company de-listed on the NYSE, but they knew it was coming.

When I had a customer that states they did not authorize a renewal, I told them to call customer service and you should not be charge. You just have to keep trying.

Sorry to say, I'm so glad I left there because I'm loving my new job. Idearc (thumbs down)

Dec 15, 2008

Guys the CEO of the company is Scoot Klein. Email him all your complaints so he can be aware and know the BS they do.
    Scott.[protected]@idearc.com

Jan 21, 2009

Idearc Media does not care about it's customers...I was fired after speaking out such problems there.I hope they go out of business.

• B
      Jan 22, 2009

Annette, you just need to write a letter stating to cancel, a memo is then sent to the rep at the begining of the market. Yes, a collection agency will call you if you don't pay your bill, its common sense. Low level accounts do get sent out to a center that sends letters that you must respond to or it auto renews. Look at this like your cable bill. The double charges suck. I would be real pissed off myself, but if you paid your bill you wouldn't be in this situation in the first place. You did receive a credit back on your account and if you complained a little more they might have given you a free product or money off you bill.

Sue, a lot of people probably are very ethical, but like in all businesses, it take one or two to give a bad name to everyone. People complain for any reason. I do it. If I receive a drink at the bar that is not made right, I complain, if I receive a quote for a product then the company tries to charge me more, I complain. Most people only speak about the horrible things that happen. They are not going to tell you that XYZ company had an ROI of 10:1 on thier advertising or ABC company was ont he verge of bankruptcy until a rep spoke to them about how to change their business around.

Mike, you receieve no comment. You have no solid statements rather than I know people who said this or that or do this or that. Well I know people in all industries that act unethically. Yes, sometimes I do not do business with them, but sometimes I still do. As a person you need to learn how to sourt out the good and the bad and then make a decision. By the way switching your Verizon service has no effect on anything. Switch it, to your surprise no one cares.

Jay, you must have advertised back in the day. You were probably with GTE or maybe when Verizon just took over. If you looked at the terms and conditions you would see an error in the name is adjusted 100%. Now keep in mind, there will be push back. Do you know how many small business owners try to screw companies? I have to sourt threw companies that change their name and phone number, who never pay their bill then try to readvertise with us. Either that or they company every year about something. You owned a business and I can say in 100% certainty, without even knowing what industry or anything about your moral person that if a customer started complaining you would lay down and say you are right here you go what ever you want is yours. You are going to look into it before you do anything. So use some sense when you are talking. The managers are very busy, that is true. Also, they deal with high level accounts a lot. If you were billing out a couple hundred a month and since you were audio recorded I'm assuming you were a low level account then a manager speaking with you about this is a waste of time. Sad, but true. When you look at huge corporations sometimes Joe Customer who invests 2, 000 a year gets over looked by Ideal Customer who doesn't complain knows the market and industry and spend 10, 000 a month. Its the nature of the beast. My advice is do some research before you complain about something and get what you are properly intitled to. You are a business owner, you know how customers are.

Janice, you are probably the biggest waste of space ever. You have no backbone to tell a sales rep, "NO"? If you are a business owner, you must be a poor one or one that gets walked all over consistently. You wanted to cancel before it was even authorized, tell the rep.

Gary, get a call tracker placed in your ad and if you have a 1 or 2 inch ad you will not recieve calls you need to have at the very least a credit card size ad and even then it is a waste of money if there is a lot of competition there. You must have had a ### rep who didn't tell you that Idearc has Search Engine Marketing with Google and Yahoo and they have superpages.com (the #1 online yellow pages), they also have direct mail sent in packets and sent individually. You can get all your advertisements tracked. I should start my own business, I know I can do better than you idiots.

Juls are you slow or just stupid? The terms and conditions is about 10 pages long. Do you really think that a rep at any store will read that to you? You are a busines owner, probably have the basic skills to read, so read.

Joan, cancel on your rep if you don't like them or they made an error. Then go back in with another rep. Always ask for a proof on your ad. Then save the ad so if there is a problem you have a copy of it. Don't let a rep say they cannt get you a proof, any ad can get a proof. even that small 1 inch ad, a rep can create for you. If they are selling it make them do some work.

Maria, you must be sucessful, everyone read her reply. It will teach you all how to conduct business. She appears to be doing well, has been in business for a decade. She also knows to check and double check before she committs to anything. Maria, you are one of the only sensible people. Thank you.

Margarett...a listing...you thought a listing (name and phone number) would bring you business. BE REAL. You dumb ###. I bet your name began with a Z too. Either that or you were a conartist that call themselves AAA or A. A listing will not bring you any business, it is just for referrals to find you. I never once thought to myself, that person has a great looking LISTING I'm calling them...look it's even bold and has red...they must be good. Put yourself int he consumers shoes. The rep, was probably bad, companys do have bad reps. They probably thought let me talk to this customer who wants in our bookand you probably said you just want a listing and wouldn't listen. Now you are complaining. Some reps are very very good and they will suggest exactly what you need to better your business. Just listen to them and then find out what fits you best. Don't just say sure to everything they suggest really look at the program.

Jay, do you really think the CEO is going to have time to listen this? That is what a complaint department is for. Business owners need to just stand firm and say no I want more I want more, but don't abuse it (ie. call in every year with a minimal problem just to get something free or discounted).

Jabny, you probably couldn't sell a heater to an eskimo, that's why you were fired or you did some unethical bs that has caused these people to get so pissed. If you got fired for that get an attorney, you have a lawsuit. If not then shut up and come to the realization advertising sales isn't for you.

• I
      Jan 24, 2009

Barney...you Rock!

Jan 26, 2009

Barney. Wow, you seem to know everything about everything. Mind your own business, [censored]!

Jan 31, 2009

Barney..All I can say is I hope you own plenty of there stock...You have alot of time to be wasting sticking up for such a ### company..get a life...Come to NY and shut me up tough guy.

Jan 31, 2009

Barney is a [censored].That I do know.

• K
      Feb 03, 2009

Idearc does NOT handle white pages listings!!! VERIZON does!!!

• U
      Feb 04, 2009

For those with Idearc complaints or problems in New York City or Brooklyn, the following reps and managers will get your problem resolved or at least give a straight answer. Some direct lines are provided, otherwise call the front desk and ask politely for the supplied names.

Idearc Media

Mike Hart, REP

Fred Cohen, REP

Ken Luft, REP

Michelle Smith, REP

For cancellations, if you have anything in writing that is time stamped such as a fax, letter, or email showing your interest to cancel, these people will resolve it quickly without hassle.

To their credit, if you have concerns regarding the effectiveness of your advertising they will meet you in person and provide an honest and direct assessment on what you can cut and suggest what might help, provided by either Idearc or competitors.

• B
      Feb 05, 2009

Barney...I totally agree with you...Now there are always some sales reps that break the rules, and are dishonest, and when they are cought they get terminated. Idearc Doesnt put up with that. ALSO there are telemarketers going around saything that they are Idearc and superpages.com...actucally I just got a call from them today!!! When I confronted them, they hung up!! So what does that tell you??? AND Idearc doesnt do business that way...if the reps do they are terminated.

• D
      Feb 05, 2009

We're now getting daily phone calls from IDEARC to buy online phone listings because the Yellow pages have been getting thinner and thinner and are bringing in less money each year. We tell them no, and hang up, and then someone else calls the next day.

Verizon sold their Yellow pages to IDEARC at just the right time. Let's face it, Google is the new Yellow pages. I doubt people are going to go to an IDEARC Website to look for listings.

We just received the Yellow pages for 2009. As I was throwing out the old book, I realized, we hadn't used the 2008 book for the entire year except to see our own listing! I'm sure it's the same with other businesses. The only time I used a Yellow pages in the last five years was to find someone who could clean out my sewer drain. The Yellow pages are dead! Cut your ad or listing. Unless you're a plumber, no one will ever see you in the Yellow pages!

Feb 05, 2009

That's why you have employees like Shirley in the former West Orange office the was promoted after ripping off a ton of her customers with those infamous PBAP's..I see how they are so concerned with the customers best interest.

• K
      Feb 14, 2009

Idearc is a great multi-media company providing an array of programs for any size business. They present the options based on the businesses needs and it's the business owner who makes the final decision. They have been helping business owners increase their sales volume consistantly and are always ahead of the competition. I highly recommend Idearc for any size business, especially during this slow economy.

• L
      Feb 18, 2009

I have this crazy habit of researching anything thoroughly before I spend my hard earned dollars. If you're a business owner it might be a habit you want to pick up, or I guess you could do your research looking for a place to post complaints about another American company trying to survive in this economy.

I've got a wild idea that if you spent half as much time researching a company (before you do business with them) than it seems most of you have spent trying to back out of a legal binding contract you might find your business benefits in the long run.

I've tried all types of advertising, some good, some bad...regardless of what company you use, you have to invest your own time to ensure it is the best decision for what you are trying to accomplish. If you're willing to invest money before a little time, I hope you win the lotto, because that's probably the only thing that will save your business.

In the military we called it accountability...have some for yourself before you publicly ridicule another business.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Feb 24, 2009

IDEARC MEDIA - SIMPLY A RIPOFF COMPANY!!! THEY HAVE NO INTENTIONS OF WORKING OUT DISCREPANCIES!!! THERE IS NO LEGITIMACY WITH THIS COMPANY! Plain simple fact! Beware - do not waste time picking up their "cold call" hard sell! Classic case of munipulation of the system!

Feb 28, 2009

They phone solicited my number and I was on the no solicit list because I use my personal cell phone for my small business. I’m sure Idearc found some loop hole to call my number because I’m using it as a business. Does anyone out there know how the no phone solicits laws work if you’re using it for your small business?
    However, they sent several contracts. I read the first one carefully signed it and faxed it back. I got a call later saying they had a mistake on the contract please sign another one and fax it back. Actually they sent a total of 4 contracts but I can only verify two. I was baited and switched. The first contract was a totally monthly charge of $125.00. The last contract I sent in I found out the next month had $500.00 per month.
    I never got one phone call or one job from their advertisements. I called the managers at that time and faxed all 4 contracts to show and they gave me the run around and I could tell they were unprofessional and had a low I.Q.
    I paid for several months trying to cancel. They said I could not cancel and had signed a year contract.
    Finally my money ran out at the end and now I have alliance/Idearc calling wanting the balance. I gave them my lawyers name and number and they have called him.
    They call every week harassing me and even on the weekends.
    We all need to get together and form a class action law suit. I read the complaints posted and know there are thousands of customers who got kicked and are just living with it.
    This company has no dignity or respect for the public and should be closed to put it nicely.
    Joe

Mar 08, 2009

We all need to get together and form a class action law suit. I'll do my best and find out the legal remedies and if you have been ripped off by them, just email me at [protected]@aol.com

Mar 10, 2009

Barney, first off let me thank you for proving to us how hopeless IDEARC is. Your words - "I have to sourt threw"? "Mike, you receieve no comment"? "get what you are properly intitled to"?
    Your gramatical and spelling errors only shows that this company would hire anything with a pulse. It behooves you to use a dictionary when next you attempt to come across as being smart. At the very least use spell check on the computer you dumb ###.
    Now lets get to the good stuff. You must have recently joined this company or, like most of the reps, talking out of your ### in order to make the statement that only "low level" accounts use AFNI for authorization. Billing a "couple hundred a month" as you put it. Well dumb ###, you're right! I was billing a couple hundred a month - 50 of them! Lets test your knowledge to see how much you really know or how long you've been with this company. I had a TCP online (Total City Placement) and an HPHP ( Half Page Color). In other words my program with this waste of time Company cost me over $5000 monthly. When was the last time you sold one of those? I was not working with petty reps like yourself. My rep who sold me that program was Janet and only after she left and my account was handled by some guy/gal named Yammi did disaster occur. I told him/her I always get Janet to come here and go over my ads and he is yet to show. Next thing you know, I mysteriously renewed using AFNI. Go figure! And even if I was billing $300.00 a month, the point is I am a customer and should be treated as such. Rule number one of any business.
    Now lets address the fact that you try to berate Margaret for buying a bold listing asking "you thought a listing would bring you business?"
    If anything, this emphasizes how shady the company is. If bold listings don't bring business then why the ### does the company or rep put a price on it? Because the company and rep is concerned about ripping of clients thats why!
    And where did you get your information when you told Gary that superpages.com is the #1 online yellowpages? Might want to get your sources checked cupcake because that title is held by AT&T's YELLOWPAGES.COM.
    Now for the comments to Maria. Well lets see...hummm. Ahhh here it is. Your line should read "you are the only sensible PERSON" dumb ### not "only sensible people". Where did you go to school? IDEARC UNIVERSITY I bet!!

• T
      Mar 28, 2009

Jay, read your third line; you have no room to talk about writing ("when next you attempt. . ."). Though, I do feel your anger.

As for Idearc, the company is a mere shadow of its GTE roots. I worked there ten years ago, when the majority of their outside sales force had college degrees and respectable ethics. Minus a few bad apples, they treated customers fairly and the advertising worked more than it didn't. However, soon after Verizon bought out GTE things began to decline. Not so much with the employees, but the industry. More and more small, independent yellow page publishers began sprouting throughout the country. They sold on price rather than value, and consequently, diluted the entire effectiveness of yellow page advertising. Customers no longer could invest their money securely in just one or two books. Yet, big publishers like Verizon and Bell refused to adapt their rates to the reduced usage, which caused the return on investment to fall dramatically. Once they recognized the negative trend, Verizon and Bell reacted by loosening the credit restrictions on potential advertisers instead of accommodating the rates of their loyal customers. Within a couple years, anyone with a cell phone was offered $500-$1000/month in pre-approved credit to supplement the increased cancellations. This reaction, born from pure greed, buried the trust of perennial advertisers and the consumers whom everything depends on. In every heading, businesses with well founded reputations were sharing ad space with whimsy entrepreneurs who performed poor work for less money. Ironically, Verizon and Bell were promoting the same contaminant that infected their own industry. A majority of the public (at least, the public that advertisers want to attract) stopped referencing yellow pages and turned to the Web. Welcome Superpages.Com and Smartpages.Com.

The first three or four years Bell and Verizon offered online advertising, the product (like its print predecessor) provided better than average results. Only this time they didn't enjoy the profits for nearly as long before competitive Internet medias intervened. Again, the advertiser and consumer are left unsure who to trust.

Regrettably, Idearc seems unwilling to accept fair value for their watered down product. Their stock reflects as much. When the company spun off from Verizon in 2007 it was trading at $35; just 2 yrs later Idearc is trading at 5 cents. Really, I find it amazing they're still in business.

Regarding employees, 95% of the salespeople who worked with me in 1999 no longer are there. From what I gathered, speaking to one of the few people I know at Idearc, they hire uneducated and unethical sales reps with checkered pasts. It's no surprise small businesses have so many complaints. What once was responsible company and viable choice for advertisers has become a desperate dinosaur clinging to its distant past. Good riddance. . .

• E
      Mar 30, 2009

Idearc Media ignores customers. I cancelled my account in writing but they refused to acknowledge it. I kept having to send the copy of the letter to them every month. I tried calling them but they'd have a message saying, "sorry, we are in a meeting right now and can't come to the phone." What is this, the corner ice cream shop? They don't return calls. The last straw was when they sent my account to a collection agency. I will continue till the day I die to complain about this, the worst, most unethical company I've ever dealt with, to everyone I can. These people are scam artists. I'm trying to figure out a way to sue their ###. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!
    E. Leary

Mar 31, 2009

Idearc Inc. (OTC: IDAR) announced that the Company and its domestic subsidiaries today filed voluntary petitions for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division. Idearc also announced that it has reached an agreement in principle with the agent bank and a steering group of its secured lenders on certain critical elements of a plan of reorganization. The Company expects to be able to file a plan of reorganization in approximately 30 days, and if implemented as proposed, this plan will enable Idearc to significantly reduce its outstanding debt to a more suitable level upon emergence from the legal proceedings.

Pursuant to the proposed plan, Idearc does not need nor intend to obtain debtor-in-possession (DIP) financing during the reorganization, as the Company maintains substantial cash balances and continues to generate positive cash flow, and has reached an agreement on use of cash collateral.

Idearc expects to operate business as usual throughout its restructuring process, with no interruption in the solutions and services it provides to hundreds of thousands of clients around the nation.

"Today we take an important step forward as we continue to transform Idearc. Essentially we have a company with good potential being held back by a terminally ill balance sheet, " said Scott W. Klein, chief executive officer of Idearc Inc. "We are not only open for business and serving our clients as usual, we are also continuing our focus on transforming Idearc for the future based on a bold strategy, including all of the new programs launched earlier this month.

"The reorganization process will enable Idearc to quickly finalize and implement a debt restructuring plan that will strengthen our financial condition and position us to compete more effectively in a challenging and rapidly evolving economic environment, " Klein said.

"One of our most important priorities is to put in place an appropriate capital structure to support our strategic business plans and objectives. A new capital structure that can give all of our partners the confidence they need in us to be there for them in the years ahead provides us with the greatest chance for success."

Under the agreement in principle with the agent bank and steering committee, the Company's total debt will be reduced from approximately $9 billion today to a pro forma level of $3 billion of secured bank debt, with a 12 percent interest rate and a six-year term. Mandatory amortization will be $60 million for each of the first two years following confirmation and $40 million per year thereafter. The Company will retain 32.5 percent of surplus cash flow, with the balance to be paid as additional amortization on the bank debt. At emergence from Chapter 11, the Company will have a cash balance of $150 million. Other terms of the plan are still to be negotiated, and it is anticipated that the remainder of the Company's bank debt and bonds will be converted to equity.

Also, the agent bank and steering committee have agreed with the Company to continue to fund operations from all but $250 million of Idearc's more than $600 million cash collateral balance. The remaining $250 million of cash collateral will be paid to the secured lenders as adequate protection, subject to bankruptcy court approval of the Company's motion to use the cash collateral.

Idearc has also filed a variety of other customary first day motions with the bankruptcy court to enable it to continue to conduct business as usual while it completes its reorganization. These include motions providing for employees to continue to receive compensation and benefits as usual and to maintain customer programs and guarantees. Idearc expects to file a motion with the bankruptcy court shortly seeking to assume executory contracts related to its 30-year publishing agreement and 30-year branding agreement with Verizon Communications, Inc.

Idearc's legal advisor for the restructuring is Fulbright & Jaworski LLP and its financial advisor is Moelis & Company.

More information about Idearc's restructuring is available at www.idearc.com/restructuring. Idearc clients can call [protected] for more information. Information for vendors is available at [protected] or by sending an email to [protected]@kccllc.com.

Idearc to continue operational plans to transform the company

Idearc is in the process of implementing an innovative new strategy designed to drive consumer usage of its products and increase client loyalty. Among numerous other initiatives, earlier this month Idearc announced the SuperGuarantee(SM) program, a national consumer guarantee initiative designed to increase spending in local economies by lowering the risk associated with hiring contractors, plumbers, auto body repair shops and thousands of other eligible service provider category-based businesses.

"These are challenging times for small and medium businesses" Klein said. "Since joining Idearc in June 2008, my team and I have strategically and tenaciously developed new programs and product enhancements, and created more efficient ways of doing business that will forever change how we serve our consumers and clients.

"We have a unique opportunity to not only help our clients survive the current economic environment; we can actually help them grow. In effect we have declared our own war on the recession and are proving it with our actions - not words."

Certain statements included in this press release and the hyperlinked materials constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These forward-looking statements reflect Idearc management's current views with respect to Idearc's financial performance and future events with respect to its business and industry in general. Statements regarding Idearc's exploration of alternatives related to its capital structure are forward-looking statements. Statements that include the words "believe, " "will, " "anticipate, " "foresee, " and similar expressions identify forward-looking statements. Idearc cautions you not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements. The following important factors could affect future results and could cause those results to differ materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements: (i) risk the bankruptcy filing and the related cases disrupt current plans and operations; (ii) risks that Idearc's business could suffer from the loss of key customers, suppliers or personnel during the pendency of the bankruptcy cases, (iii) risks that Idearc's plan of reorganization fails to obtain the requisite approval from the claim holders entitled to vote on the plan; (iv) risks that Idearc will be able to maintain sufficient liquidity for the pendency of the bankruptcy cases, (v) risk that the bankruptcy court rejects Idearc's plan of reorganization; (vi) limitations on Idearc's operating and strategic flexibility during the pendency of the bankruptcy cases; (vii) risks related to a long and protracted restructuring; (viii) risks related to Idearc's declining print revenue, including a reduction in customer spending resulting from the current economic downturn; (ix) changes in Idearc's competitive position due to competition from other yellow pages directories publishers and other traditional and new media and its ability to anticipate or respond to changes in technology and user preferences;(x) declining use of print yellow pages directories; (xi) changes in the availability and cost of paper and other raw materials used to print directories and reliance on third-party printers and distributors; (xii) increased credit risk associated with reliance on small- and medium-sized businesses, in particular in the current economic environment; (xxiii) changes in operating performance; (xiv) Idearc's ability to attract and retain qualified executives; (xv) Idearc's ability to maintain good relations with its unionized employees; (xvi) changes in U.S. labor, business, political and/or economic conditions; (xvii) changes in governmental regulations and policies and actions of regulatory bodies; and (xviii) risks associated with Idearc's obligations under agreements entered into with Verizon in connection with the spin-off. For a discussion of these and other risks and uncertainties, see Idearc Inc.'s periodic filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, which you may view at www.sec.gov, and in particular, Idearc Inc.'s Annual Report on Form 10-K.

About Idearc Inc.

Idearc Inc. (OTC:IDAR) delivers products on multiple platforms to help consumers find the information they want, wherever they are. Idearc's multi-platform of advertising solutions includes, but is not limited to, Idearc(R), Idearc Media(R), the Idearc logo, the Idearc Media logo, Verizon(R) Yellow Pages, Verizon(R) White Pages, Verizon(R) Yellow Pages Companion Directories, FairPoint(R) Yellow Pages, FairPoint(R) Yellow Pages Companion Directories, Superpages(R), Superpages.com(R), Switchboard(R), Switchboard.com(TM), LocalSearch.com(SM), Superpages Mobile(SM), Superpages Direct(TM), Superpages Direct Exclusive Mailer(TM), SuperGuarantee(SM), and SuperTradeExchange.com(TM). For more information, visit www.idearc.com.

IDAR-G

or
    Investor Relations Contact:
    Ryan Gaddy, [protected]
    ryan.[protected]@idearc.com

• I have similar complaint with Verizon Idearc. I have posted it on [redacted] and hopefully others will see it.

The pressure on the sales reps for Idearc really Verizon hiding from lawsuits forthcoming... was due to loss of sale when the interenet took off. No one wants their huge paper directories anymore and they refused to cancell accounts in desperation.

• T
      Apr 27, 2009
    Idearc Media - illegal practices
    Idearc Media LLC
    PO BOX 619009
    Dallas
    Texas

This company sales practices are immoral. A salesperson goes through a recorded conversation where they pitch you some kind of trial program that he sends you information on through the mail. if you like it, you can sign on to the program. Well, they never sent me anything and then started sending me invoices. They have even turned me into a collection agency. I'm sick of these people and something needs to be done about them.

• O
      May 06, 2009

I work for this company and have been since 2001. I used to love coming to work everyday and helping my customers. Now we are under so much pressure from mangement and they have hired such unethical people that you are product dumping on customers and not doing them any justice. The bankruptcy only makes this worse, they are looking to reduce headcount but will not tell anyone when they will do it or who they are letting go or why. I have been looking for another job for months now and due to the economy haven't found anything. The management uses threats/coersion to try and motivate people and it is not working. Productivity is down and Short Term Disability claims are up!! I have seen the numbers and it just keeps getting worse, we will be cut in half, sold or fold by the end of the year.

May 13, 2009

I am a former employee of Idearc Media. For years I saw first hand how disfunctional this company is. They scam their customers and the management does not care about employees. I am happy to say that I no longer work for them and my advice to all of you is: DO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH IDEARC MEDIA