Idearc MediaIdearc Media published ad without authorization

Idearc Media - www.idearcmedia.com

Idearc Media is part of Verizon, they publish phone directories. A sales rep called me to discuss renewal of my ad and I told him that I have retired and do not want any more advertising then I quickly got of the phone because I know how pushy these guys are about making a sale. about a month and a half later, I was phoned again and again I said that I did not want any more advertising, he said 'are you telling me that you give me permission to cancel your advertising?' I said 'That's exactly what I am telling you'. We said our good byes and I figured that the case was closed.

Well when the book came out there was my ad! I called their so called 'customer service' department to notify them of their screw up and was told that it is now too late to cancel my ad because it is 'already out there' as if it is MY fault that they published an unauthorized ad. I received a bill for $1377 for their unauthorized ad. Now, What do I do, Suck it up, pay it and save my good credit? Can a very well known ('can you hear me now?') company like Verizon allow Idearc Media to operate to the detriment of their good name? The only thing that they may hear will be their victims shouting from the rooftops how they got ripped off.

• Br
    Brian/Srq Nov 30, 2011

Has anyone been actually place in the wrong category? I pay for one add in bold type. Designers: Residential. I pay $27/mo and I am OK with that. the boOK comes every year, I open it up see my listing then throw it in the corner. Problem comes that unbeknownst to me, I am also in the Architect category, Architectural and Construction specifications. This has supposedly been going on for years. Currently I am under review by the Board of Architecture and stand to be seriously damaged. I immediately called to get my name out of the categories. They have hijacked my identity, destroyed it and will cost me huge legal fee's to get my situation cleared up.

• Su
    surface2air Jul 12, 2011

this is to Kelly Ann
    its obvious that you work for this company, and or you have some sort of financial interest so then why
    don't you look into these complaints (as you stated above) and fix these problems with a reasonable explanation
    and or cure-all so that so many people are not confused.
    Then maybe you can answer why Verizon does business with ("people who do NOT read the contract, and do not have decent reps").

JackHoff Aug 08, 2010

I just place a giant ad with my company, use a different name for the billing, dont pay and let them try to collect. I do this every year for FREE advertising. IDEARC are [censor]S!!! HA!!!

• Id
    IdearcMediaScam Jan 08, 2010

Hi Everyone,

We are now organizing our law suit against idearc media.

I am footing the bill but we need your help to make this work.

I will be in touch over the next few days with detailed instructions that I need you to do.

Please send me an email to [email protected] so I can communicate with you.

Don't worry, its all easy stuff.

Thanks,

Sam Servedio
    [protected]

• Da
    Danmy Dec 24, 2009

I also have the same problem with Ideac media. they called me august, 17 2009 and i was told to call back to cancel in 14 days and email about the ad and contract will be sent to the provided email and address.i havent and didnt recieve nothing about there ad.even the ad is wrong. i have tried all efforts now to cancel but they dont want to do that. cutting long sentence short, i have 5 months for it to end.

Do anyone know who i can talk to deal these guys. email at [email protected]

• Wi
    Wisegirl2009 Sep 28, 2009

Its really sad because I worked with the company not so long ago. I tried so hard to do everything for my customers and I felt really bad when things didn't go right. I always got my work right and no one ever got charged when they weren't supposed to. You HAVE to sign for ANY cancellation you do or IT MAY NOT CANCEL!! Don't take anyones word for it, make sure you get a signature on something and then you'll feel better about it and have proof. Yes, there have been people who screwed others over but if you think about it...those people are in every single company. Not that its an excuse for customer service to suck so much. I have met a lot of honest, really good, really nice people at Idearc who really have their hearts set on helping out. Honestly a lot of times its the customer who messes something up and freaks out on one of us. Either that or you got a lazy Idearc employee but who knows. Apparently i'm crazy gun ho about everything and made it a point to learn things when no one else could figure it out. I'm not very good at just "letting things go" and always tried to find a way to fix something or make it happen. Ended up wasting a lot of my time and I worked about 70 hours a week but at least my customers didn't call back wanting to tear my head off. Sorry all of you were ripped off and things went wrong...you probably would have been better off talking to me!!!

Malcontent_Customer Sep 28, 2009

Idearc Media has broken the law when dealing with me. So I created a website with all my dealings with this company:

athomp Aug 04, 2009

Once again, this company does not follow through. They ask for your information and promise to contact you within 48 hours. I submitted my information to them over 2 weeks ago. Don't waste your time. The FTC is the way to go

• Id
    Idearc Aug 04, 2009

We are never pleased when one of our clients is unhappy. Please give me the opportunity to review your issue. I promise someone will get back to you within 48 hours with an update. Please provide me with the following information and email back to me at: [email protected]

Your Full Name and Title:

Business Name:

Business Telephone Number:

State in which your Business resides:

Your Contact Number:

Best time to call you:

E-mail address:

Brief Complaint Description:

athomp Jul 25, 2009

Alexlinnik,

Thanks for taking the initiative and calling the FTC. I plan to call and add my complaint. I suggest that anyone else with a complaint do the same.

MAWPainting Jul 24, 2009

We never got a contract they said we ok'd it over the phone. but they never sent a packet or anything and put an ad in the book that we never agreed to. that is not good business practice...we are in a battle now...

• Al
    Alexlinnik Jul 23, 2009

We need to file a group claim to FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection phone # [protected]. I spoke with them, and they gave me reference # [protected]. They told me if they keep receiving similar complains, they would open a case against Idearc Media.

• Al
    Alexlinnik Jul 23, 2009

I had similar story, they renew my advertising without my permeation, and now I received the bill. When I told them so, they filed the claim and contacted me in a few days offering 50% off. I told them that I am not responsible for something that I did not request.

athomp May 20, 2009

Couldn't agree more with the legitimate complaints.

BTW...what kind of word is "missunderstandments"? Get a clue.

• Ri
    Ricardo Ibarra May 17, 2009

Hey guys,

Stop complaining. Your issue is really not that difficult to resolve. All you really need to do is a little more work; thats all.

Hey, Just go to the Better Business Bureau website, or call the toll free number for Super Pages.com and/or request their email.

You will also be prompted to submitt a complaint to this bussiness throught the BBB. In it you have the option to submit a complaint or whatever you find to be important to communicate. If you feel that your request have not carried through, just submit an email through the BBB, and you'll be served.

The great thing about this is that your written request through email can always be referenced in the future as it is date and time generated. The beauty of this is that there cannot be any misunderstandments from both parties behalf as it was stated.

By the way better business bureau, the company and customers all have a file as it is the complaint serial number that can be retrieved. So always write that tracking number and stick it underneath your desk, laptop. or toilet seat so that you wont forget about it in case your will really need to proove your cancelation. If in any case this nonsense continues, you have every right to enjoy free advertisement.

Good Luck!

• Ri
    Ricardo Ibarra May 17, 2009

Next time, if you are in the process of cancelling your advertisement service, all you need to do is submit a cancellation trhough the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU. BBB has a service in which customers can cancell, complain aganst any company, or formalize any of your concerns such as making sure that your request is published correctly. Since any email request you mail is electronically date generated, there are no missunderstandments if you did or did not submit a request.

• Ro
    roger Apr 22, 2009

YOU WANT FRAUD!? HERE YA GO!

I opened my business in October 2008, so we've been at it for about 6 months.

Today I get an invoice from Idearc for $6, 000 for my advertising. I have never heard of this company.

It turns out the company that USED to be in my location owes them $6, 000. I know for a fact that this place went bankrupt (my fiance used to work for them).

So I call these Idearc clowns, and it turns out when they found out the previous business had gone bankrupt they figured out the best way to make money: Just Switch the Name on the bill!

Presto! The bankrupt businesses debt becomes MY debt! I have received no goods or services from them, had no idea they existed, but now I owe them $6, 000.

They apparently even went so far as to "add" our names to the bills! How they got our names I don't even know. I've asked them to produce some original documentation that shows our contract and they said they will "get it to me." She actually said she would email me the original contract...I'm curious to see how she is going to do that.

When I got off the phone I told her that she owed me $20, 000, then asked her to prove she doesn't.

• Rj
    RJ Pandit Apr 22, 2009

Crooks
    This company claims that somebody had called me obtained a verbal authorization for an Advertisement back on Sunday August 24 2008 and claim that I owe them $ 139 per month for Advertisement . Is anybody aware of Similar demands and also are there any class action suits pending on this company Idarc Media. Kindly advise.

Matt Apr 21, 2009

This company is poorly ran, and purposely set up so that they can bill people without their acknowledgment.
    They know what they're doing is wrong, but would prefer to keep it that way.
    Whether or not the customer signed a contract, the customer should be notified, and I was not.

I will not pay this outrageous bill, I will never advertise with them again, and I may even start my own blog about them just to see the response I'll get.

• Sm
    Smart Consumer Mar 27, 2009

Having much of the same problems here. We've been in discussions with this pos company and when they have bothered to respond to our inquiries. Most of the contacts have only been to lecture us about how big and powerful they are, how smart they are, and how we have no case against them. I would very much like to see a class-action case be brought against them for their business activities. They are very big on using their legal council to threaten and intimidate consumers too. How Verizon can allow this business activity to continue is shocking to me.

Their claim is that basically you are contracted to advertise with them unless you somehow have it written in blood that you didn't want your advertising to continue. They are condescending, dishonest, and basically living off of the hard work and products of Bell Atlantic. (the predecessor to Verizon) If anyone is aware of any class-action suits against Idearc or an attorney interested in starting one, I would be very interested.

Kelly Mar 22, 2009

Have you noticed that most the complaints on this entire blog site is filled with simple words that are misspelled. That is either an indication of how blindly furious people are, or their lack of concern for detail. As a former employee of Idearc, my experience with small business owners are they are very conservative in their decisions, but never make adequate time to spend with their sales reps to understand what they are doing. How long did you spend buying auto insurance, or life insurance? How many questions did you ask? Business owners, ask yourselves, how much time did you put aside to seriously consider the valuable information your rep presented, the return on investment calculations, your ability to offer excellent customer service to the new customers your advertising budget brought you? I already know the answers of many. Advice: don't overspend, demand results, read your contract or at least ask about how to get out of a contract, or what if you sell or by a business, pay your bill so that you know when your renewal is due. Take responsibility for the business transactions you enter into. Don't rely on others to manage your business if you are not paying for that service.
    There are legitimate complaints with dealing with Idearc/ Verizon directories, but I have not met a company immune to errors or misunderstandings. I also understand Idearc has made some major changes to the benefit of the advertisers, such as guarantees, lower prices and more products. Also consider if you don't pay your advertising it still is available to you for the rest of the contract term. If you don't pay your electric bill, they cut you off. Best of luck to you with your business.

• Ge
    George Feb 22, 2009

Wow!! I can tell that all of the people complaining on this blog- about how terrible Idearc Media is, CLEARLY doesn't know how to read a contract before signing it. If you look at all the contracts-- there is a paragraph above your signature that stated the terms & conditions & auto-renewal policy. Why would ANYONE sign a contract for a company WITHOUT reading the terms & conditions. If your sales rep didn't provide a copy to you at that VERY second, then ask for one. The terms have EVERYTHING clearly written out regarding payment, cancellation, renewal, etc. If you call to cancel your AD, get a name of who you spoke with, and jot down a confirmation number. EVERY company will provide you a name & confirmation#...if they wont then ask for a manager. Clearly none of you know how to run a business.

• Lu
    luvmykids2 Feb 05, 2009

I am just starting this battle with them...any input for me? Horrible company. The good thing is I know EVERYBODY in this town and I can ruin them here. I really feel bad for the reps though. It's not thier fault..but they are about to lose this market.

I think that they only have a verbal with me too. Can that stand?

Kelly Ann Feb 03, 2009

Most of these complaints are from people who do NOT read the contract, and do not have decent reps that follow through. It's not the company's fault, and 99% of the time, it's the customer's fault...I'm sure if I looked at each of their complaints, I'd find their signature authorizing them to bill, the start and end date of the bill and notes...regarding their account.
    Most of the complaints above can be rectified easily!!!

• On
    onemangang Jan 28, 2009

They should be put out of business and the managers should all be fired and have their homes foreclosed on.

### of the earth

• Gr
    G R Munro Jan 01, 2009

I’ve been screwed over by Superpages / Idearc Media and they are still trying to screw me over - even though I cancelled my account with them, and then even cancelled my credit card to stop them charging it… and they’re still demanding money!

They seem to be especially bad with small businesses, by the way. SBA says that they prey on small business owners who have neither the time nor the legal backup to deal with their dishonest tactics.

Out of interest, I checked Glassdoor.com to see what their own staff had to say about them. Here is a Staff Consultant in TX (2008) review:

Point 1: Dishonest management with little or no knowledge of the business who encourage staff wrong-doing so there is always a handy scapegoat. Telco personnel ruined this business. Too bad since it used to a highly recommended place to work. No more.

Point 2: I got good pay for little or no work. You don't need any knowledge or skills in order to employed here. Good vocabulary with the ability to blame others will get you far, however. If you are looking for job security, you may have a problem, but in the meantime, you will have decent benefits and good salary. Good bonus program for those will to kiss up to management. Lip service is all that's required to be successful here. No real work involved.

Point 3: Advice to Senior Management: Get a clue and appreciate and promote your knowledgeable, hard-working staff. Give the boot to all the brown-nosers -- just not all at once since that's almost all you have left.

This explains why the people I have spoken with were so incompetent, rude and such obvious liars.

jason45 Dec 09, 2008

THIS IS THE WORST SCAM EVER!!!STAY AWAY FROM THEM! If you get cought start writing complains right away to BBB, consumer protection and local channels. WE NEED TO SHUT THEM OFF!!!THEY SHOULD BE SHAMED TO BE CALLED AMERICANS!!!Their practices are ILLEGAL!!!

• Ju
    Julie Moore Nov 10, 2008

You have to sign to cancel your advertising. They can't just take your word for it. That's where people screw up. It's not the company's fault~~~!!!

• Da
    Dasean Cunningham Oct 06, 2008

Idearc Media is a horrible company. They charged us 2, 796 dollars for service that we never asked for.

• In
    inside track Sep 14, 2008

I just want to say for all of you that have gotten burned in california - san diego especially - If any of these reps were yours at one point in time from [protected] then I would check in to any pending lawsuits against them from the company due to fraud - James Donald Mann, Shawne Marie Salmi, were sued in 2006 maybe even going into 2007 - This should help any case you may have pending that may be due to fraud -- Also for those who have been automatically renewed due to no signature on file if you have notes of days and times that would be most helpful when discussing with Customer Service - if not -- ask them when was your account assigned to the rep and who the rep was and were there any notes leading to a UTC-unable to contact -- letter being sent due to the no contact made with you . Ask for the certified letter or overnight tracking number -- as these letter must be sent this way to verify receipt - UTC are only allowable after being verified by the manager -- or after sufficient attempts have been made by the rep.
    FYI -- there is no such thing as a cancellation number -- that is diversionary -- if you do not receive a confirming copy in the mail of the zero'd out items and amounts it was NOT CANCELLED!! So here's another tip ask your rep what day it was cancelled as this is all done in VAST - sales system, and they can tell you when and by who, ask when was book close 1 and book close 2 -- if you spoke to them before these dates you had the ability to cancel - if after book close 2 you are SCREWED. Always remember that you will be blamed and held accountable, keep in mind any book you are in closes TWO Months before they publish. -- I have tons more but I'm getting tired hope this helps some of you..

• To
    Torres Jul 09, 2008

I'm in a very similar situation though I was under a wrong assumption when I was contacted by Idearc that this was a service my phone company was offering me because I had recently switched my phone listing from residential to business but missed this years (2008) phone book print. So I was getting a listing on Superpages.com!
    I even asked the woman in the middle of it all, if this was something she was selling me or if this was being offered to me by my phone company (somewhere I had heard the word 'free'). She didn't speak very good english and I was under the assumption that she wasn't selling me anything just 'verfying information'. I did the whole recorded agreement in which I was told that I would recieve a 'welcome packet' and that I had 14 days to cancel. Within just a few days I got a bill from my phone company and realized, I had been 'sold' so I called the number back that the woman who 'sold me' had given me and cancelled with a man whom also didn't speak clear english. He did give me a cancellation number and I never recieved my welcome packet or anything else from Idearc until two months later. Then all I got was a bill and now all I'm getting is, I'm sorry ma'am without a cancellation number there isn't anything we can do. We'll cancel your account but that won't take place until November! In the meantime they expect me to pay the $176 per month that I cancelled. Funny they can generate a cancellation number but then conviently 'can't find record of it' later. I asked the lady "how long am I suppose to keep a cancellation number? Its been two months and I hadn't recieved anything from you guys so I assumed all was well and trashed the number and info" As with many of these stories all they have is my recorded verbal agreement I never recieved my 'welcome' packet so I don't have any fine print to read, didn't get to proof the very plain internet add, no instructions on how to cancel, nada. They are suppose to pull the entire phone recording because in my opinion the woman wasn't up front with me when I inquired "is this something you are selling me?" I also find it interesting that when I was arguing with 'Jessica' about my cancellation she said even if I had the name of the person I cancelled with they could help me, I then inquired for her to give me the name of the woman who sold to me. Well she didn't have record of that, that would be on file with the sales dept hmmmmm well that would be the dept I called back and cancelled with. "The sales department doesn't handle cancellations..." Well somebody did!!
    We'll see what happens with the phone records but I do not plan on paying and I plan on fighting however I'm nervous about our credit...

Josh Jun 03, 2008

THEY DID THE SAME THING TO ME. I PAID MY ADD FOR 07 IN FULL AND JUST GOT A BILL FOR 08 IN THE MAIL WITHOUT ANY AGREEMENT ON MY PART . NO PROF AD FOR CHANGES .NO SALES REP CALL . THEY SAID THE AD AUTO RENWED. THE REP FOR IDEARC MEDIA SAID THEY DONT ESCALATE CALLS WHEN I TRIED TO GET A SUPERVISOR ON THE LINE. SHE TOLD ME THAT SHE GETS PAID TO HEAR ME COMPLAIN AND THEIRS NOTHING I CAN DO. HOW CAN VERIZON ALLOW THEIR VALUED CUSTOMERS TO BE RIP OFF AND SCAMED. IAM GOING TO TRY AND FIGHT THIS AND YOU SHOULD TOO GOOD LUCK.

Mark Apr 15, 2008

Last March I closed my business in FL. I was paying Idearc monthly and had agreed to publish my ad in the 2007 book. So I called and explained that I was closing my business and would like to make a final payment. I never gave the issue another thought until I received the 2008 book at my home, there's my ad. Each year an agent would call and request changes or suggest an upgrade. Since I had canceled my phone service in May an agent must have reached a non working business number and decided that I wanted to run my ad for another year. I called Idearc customer service and was told that I should have requested in writing that I wanted to cancel my advertising, and that my ad was auto renewed since I had not done so. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told that they do not escalate calls. I mentioned to the customer service rep. that I had seen many other people with the same issue as mine, and asked why did this occur so often. She stated “I guess they did not read their contract either”.

It seems apparent that Idearc/Verizon intentionally does not inform customers when they state that they do not wish to continue their advertising on the phone, that they must do so in writing. You are left with a few bad choices, don’t pay and negatively affect your credit rating, pay and have your hard earned money extorted from you, sue and if you have read the contract, risk paying their expenses if you do not prevail.

For now I am paying, and have already disconnected my Verizon home phone service in favor of the no contract cable provider, and have vowed to never pay Verizon another dime. I am going to file a complaint with my local BBB and hope for a class action suit in the future.

• Le
    Leah Mar 25, 2008

In January of 2008 we received our first bill from Idearc Media, Inc. Not knowing who they were, we investigated and found they were handling the Verizon Print Directories. We decided to cancel since the directory was really of no use to us.

After notifying Idearc in writing that we wished to cancel we were informed that we could not cancel until September of 2008.

Since this company was new to us, we had not received any explanation of the change and we had not received a renewal notice, we feel we are being taken advantage of.

We asked for a copy of the written contract and were told that the contract was verbal and was made by an employee in our San Dimas office which has been closed for 2 years. We were able to obtain a copy of the third party verbal verification, but nothing else.

Today I tried to get to the bottom of things and was transferred at least 5 times and was hung up on twice. Eventually I encountered Elliott Levi who told me that we were on automatic renewal and that renewal notices were rarely sent out and would have gone to our non existent San Dimas office. He told me that if there was no response to the notice then the assumption is to publish the ad. All cancellations must be in writing.

We did not have the opportunity to cancel because we were not informed of the renewal until we received the first bill. At that point, it was too late. In addition, the bill came from a company we did not recognize.

Idearc has used unethical business practices to force us into paying for advertising we do not want. The dollar amount may be small, but we may sue just on principle.

• He
    help Feb 28, 2008

Contact the Better Business Bureau and your State's Attorney General for resolution.

• Pa
    Patrick Feb 26, 2008

Never called about changes needed to ad, just did their auto-renew and said too bad for you.

I hate these guys more than I can say!!!!!!

• Bi
    Bigclam Feb 16, 2008

I'm the guy Idearc hopes would never surfaces.
    email me and I'll tell you how to sue them and win and get paid!
    I just did.
    Idearc is suing their former employee for FRAUD.
    This is a link to the details: http://www.sandiego.courts.ca.gov/CISPublic/viewname
    If you were a victim of MANN, JAMES DONALD you just won BIG.
    Idearc has admitted in COURT DOCUMENTS that he was their employee and he committed FRAUD.
    If you were not his client, cheer up. I've just showed you how to research this.
    Please take this info and post it all over the web so others will find it. These bums need a hard lesson.
    Thanks to all.

• Mi
    Michael Feb 04, 2008

Idearc Media will not act on cancellation of a telelphone advertising ad (Verizon Yellow Pages). The fact is they do not provide any means to do this. These people at Idearc Media are beyond disreputable; they are scam artists and corporate criminals. Refuse to pay. Contact comsumer affairs TV programs in you area and state Attorneys General offices.

Kevin Jan 18, 2008

This has to be the worst customer service that I have ever dealt with. They gave me the same info that everyone else is getting. If anyone has any info on attorneys and how we can file a class action suit against this compay please post the info.

Thanks

• Pa
    Pamela Latta Jan 11, 2008

My company is going through HELL with these people! Calling office 4-5 times a day and now we need to seek professional help from our Attorney!
    What more can I do. We have contacted the Attorney Generals offices here in California.