HoodiaPlex LabsTotal rip off and scam!

I saw an on-line offer for Hoodia Complex, offering a trial size for 'free', with shipping/handling of $6.95. I thought it might be a rip off, but for only $7 I figured why not. I received the trial size, then about 2 weeks later got a 30 day supply. I checked online and saw that other consumers were complaining. Checked my credit card and sure enough, had been charged $69.95 for a month's supply. I went to their web site to see the ad, and it was different from the ad I had seen and ordered from. Of course, I can't prove that, but I know there was not a disclaimer printed below the order button saying I was signing up for monthly shipments of hoodia for $69.95.

Called the company and stopped the monthly shipments. Called my credit card and got no help from them. I've been ripped off. I would like to see this business and others businesses who use questionable marketing tactics to sell their product removed from the web. I will never try a product from the internet again.

More HoodiaPlex Labs Complaints & Reviews

• Wa
    Wanda Denise Turner Nov 13, 2007

I also thought "why not" I'll try the sample, before I spend so much for the total package. I was shocked to see the $69.95 charge on my account. I have 4 kids and would seriously not waste that much money on a diet pill; unless it was a super- miracle pill. I could not believe it when I saw it. I only hope that I can get it removed and refunded. I could desperately use it for bills and my kids. We should seriously come up with an advertisement that attaches itself to their advertisement, so others can be forwarded and not become another victim as so many of use trusting souls have.

• Do
    Donna Whitehead Nov 15, 2007

I have been trying to stop shipments for two months. Returned a bottle unopened but never got a credit on my credit card. Now I have two more to return. I wrote a letter twice and both times it has come back with wrong address. The address on the letter was the same as the return address on the shipment. HoodiaPlex Labs
    10161 Park Run Dr. #150, Las Vegas, NV 89145

My question is how do I get these shipments stopped?

Linda Kinney Nov 19, 2007

I also tried this as a sample. I did not read anywhere that they would be shipping more of the pills. I can't afford this and I want to know how to get this taken care of.

Linda Kinney.

• Ka
    Kasie Spears Nov 19, 2007

I just got onto my online checking account and noticed that I have been charged $69.95 for a month's supply of the Hoodia Complex. I, like all the others, cannot afford this kind of charge on my card. I am married, have a child, and am still in college. I would like to know if anyone else found a way to get their money back... if you have any suggestions on what to do, I would greatly appreciate them. I would also like to know which number to call to get the monthly shipments stopped. Thank you.

Linda Barger Nov 21, 2007

Same as above. No need to take up space. Everyone ahead of me has said it all.

ann carroll Nov 23, 2007

big ripoff

• Mo
    Monica Collins Nov 24, 2007

Today I received a package in the mail containing a bottle from HoodiaPlex in Las Vegas. That was all. No invoice, no information, no paper trail. Going online to look up the company, I came across this complaint site and many others like it. Like all of you, I requested a TRIAL ONLY. When I called the number on the back of my ATM card, the operator told me that I had been billed $69.95. She has to cancel my card, re-issue a new number (7-10 days wait), and told me to get a police report number to submit as well. She also told me that it was good I found this site before the situation worsened. Thank you to all for posting your complaints. It was helpful to me.

• Cy
    Cyndi Bonetti Nov 25, 2007

Same comments as everyone else - received a second packet almost a day after the first "free sample" arrived and can't figure out how to reach these folks to stop further shipments.

• Cy
    Cyndi Bonetti Nov 26, 2007

Hey all - I did a reverse on the address in the white pages and found an executive suites at that number - with no client by this name. The executive suite is The Intelligent Office at 702-835-6888 - I suggest that everyone call them and start complaining so that they contact the LV police. Looks like we all got scammed.

Sandra Williams Nov 29, 2007

This was such a rip-off. I stopped the future shipments, but I am out of 69.95 for a bottle I didn't order. I tried the free sample and paid for the postage.

Didn't think no more about it, because I was never notified that they would be sending me another bottle.

I wish I could get my money back. Times are hard, and money is hard to come by.

Linda Clark Dec 01, 2007

The same thing happened to me. I saw the "trial offer" on the Oprah web page and decided to try it. Twenty days after receiving the trial offer, another bottle arrived in the mail. There was only a bottle of Hoodia in the package. No receipt or paperwork of any kind. I immediately checked my credit card on-line and saw they had charged $69.95 to my card. The phone number my credit card company had was not a working number and I have tried several times to call another number that is "not available at this time, try again later". I returned the shippment using certified mail with a return receipt and cancelled my credit card. My card company could not tell me they would stop any further charges from that company. Lesson learned, I guess. I hope someone can put this company out of business!!

SANDRA MARTIN Dec 03, 2007

Same as everyone else, signed up for the Free trail on 11/14/07 which I never received. On Saturday Dec. 1 st, received a bottle which I never ordered and they charged my credit card 69.95. They are not authorized to send me or charge me anything.

• Di
    Diana Zehner Dec 05, 2007

Same again, couldn't believe it when I saw the new shipment and my credit card bill. I called the number on the HoodiaPlex Labs bottle 1-800-597-8654. It took a while for me to get through. I kept calling back until I got someone. They canceled my account but told me I could not send back the bottle for a refund due to tampering reasons. This isn't over.

• Ki
    Kimberly Kramer Dec 05, 2007

I just got off the phone with Hoodia and I wanted to throw the phone. What a RIP OFF!! I was also billed $69.95 for something I did not order.
    I can't believe this was on Oprah's web site. I will be more careful next time. I wonder if she is aware of this scam. Maybe she should be informed about the deceptive advertising on her site.

• Ke
    kelli Dec 08, 2007

Same thing as all emails above - I hate these people. I will tell everyone that will listen. All I want is my 69.95 back it's Christmas.

• Kr
    Kristine Chinn Dec 13, 2007

I am in the same boat as everyone else. I contacted my bank and am disputing the charge. I DELIBERATELY chose a card with not enough balance to cover the cost in CASE they sent a whole bottle of Hoodia. They did - and shockingly my bank allowed the charge and also charged me an over limit fee. I am disputing all of this. When I tried to cancel within the 10 days of the sample, the recording that I got from the 800 # on the bottle said "this 800 # is a temporarily non-working #." It did not state anything about the working hours. I gave up after 3 attempts. Now I am in this mess.

• Tr
    Tracy Driskill Dec 16, 2007

I am in the same situation... I agreed to the trial offer, paid the shipping with my DEBIT card... so the company had access to my personal checking account in which they charged me for 2 more 30day supply bottles of the product. I sent them back to the address that was listed on the site in which it stated a refund would be given if not satisfied... I called 10 days later, the man I spoke with was very nice, he told me my refund was authorized on Dec. 1st back to my card and it should be posted in 4-7 days. I have checked my account daily... no refund was ever posted. I just want my money back and my account canceled. I had no idea they would charge my account again and again. They are not practicing good business and I hope someone can help us all with this matter. You are all correct in saying that they changed their web pages to show no current phone number or address and omitted the refund policy as previously was seen when we all ordered.

• Ca
    carmine ferrari Dec 28, 2007

Attention Attention here is what to do first off contact your credit card company and tell them you did not ok the extra shipments.
    Second Hoodia plex labs have moved here is the new customer service # and address you can call them between 8am-4pm M thru F pacific time Hoodia Plex Labs, 6170 West Lake Mead Blvd. #518, Las Vegas NV 89108 and the number is 1-800-597-8533. Now the customer service will only stop future shipments but to get your money back you have to go thru your card that you used for purchase. Now they told me on the bottom of the order form "the terms policy" if you clicked it without reading it it says" contact us in 14 days to stop shipments otherwise you will received it every 30 days for $69.95. Now hurry before you get stuck with more of this crap

• Lo
    Lorinda Davis Jan 01, 2008

My story is like the rest I've read here. I ordered the 10 day trial sample for $5.49 (S&H) and was planning on starting it after the new year and much to my surprise received another shipment this weekend that I did not order. I haven't even tried the product yet to see if it's going to work, so why would I want more? Of course, my bank account has been credited with the amount of $69.90 for this and I'm upset because I DID NOT order it!! Needless to say, the bank has been notified and this company will not get another penny out of me.

• Dj
    D. Janson Jan 04, 2008

I am still scratching to get my $69.95 back that Hoodia scamed from all of us. Since the second week of December 15th, after all wrong phone numbers and return of Hoodia product(that got returned back to me), and contacting of my bank who said I didn't read the full disclaimer, I finally wrote to the State of Nevada, Consumer Affairs Division complaining about you know what! I am now awaiting their reply. I even wrote Oprah Winfrey, but got nowhere there. She did take her name off their website so that's good. There are still the other sponsors like NBC 60 minutes; CBS today show; and BBC NEWS. We have to hit Hoodia in their pockets too. Don't give up, and keep on writing, and if you have a MySpace spot - write there too. These are bad bad people ripping us off and they are still doing it on the web!

• Pa
    Pam Blauvelt Jan 07, 2008

Sent in for free trial. Never saw the fine print that they claim was on their website. Saw this as a pop - up ad on the web. Md website. Now i have to have my debit card cancelled, as hodiaplex has billed me twice at $69. 95 for products that i didn't order and didn't sign up for. Called the 800 number and got a "temporary disconnected" message.

Mary Pratt Jan 08, 2008

Same as everyone else. Maybe a class action lawsuit is in order

• Je
    Jean Sheridan Jan 08, 2008

I also wanted a trial shipment for $6.95 and was shocked to see my account was charged $69.95 and promptly returned the package unopen and untampered with to the addresss on it in an enclosed brown envelope with a letter asking for the $69.95 refund to my account. I checked my account today and they have charged me another $69.95 and sent out another bottle. I am sending it back and calling all the numbers and writing all the addresses. I have been taken for $140.00 when I thought I would get a trial sample for $6.95. This site is a rip off and a scam and I hope everyone writes and calls them and reports them. I really don't want to order anything else on the internet again. This gives the net a bad reputation for ordering things on it.

• Sh
    Sharon L. Clark Jan 11, 2008

I am a disabled woman, post cancer, having had bilateral mastectomies, and having more surgery on January 15th. I have a very limited income. This morning, my friend brought in my mail for me and their was this package that said USPS with the "HoodiaPlex" inside. There was no bill of sale, no invoice. So, I called the number on the bottle, and there was an immediate voicemail directing me to another 888 number. I called that one and was directed to this website. I then called my bank immediately and was told that $69.95 had been deducted from my checking account through my Visa check card. I never gave anyone any permission to do this and I am mad as Hell!!! I now have to go over to my bank and cancel my account where, because of my disabilities, I have my cable, insurance & utilities come out of. Plus now, I'm minus almost $70 bucks! I am infuriated and also going to call our local newsteam's consumer advocate.

• Ri
    Rita Caroni Jan 11, 2008

Ditto on everything that has been previusly stated. I am on the phone now with my CC company disputing the charges ($69.95) 2x.
    I refused the first package it came back so now I am using the new address, Hoodia Plex Labs, 6170 West Lake Mead Blvd. #518, Las Vegas NV 89108 and the number is 1-800-597-8533. and sending 2 packages back delivery confirmation. I'm letting them know my CC company will no longer accept charges from them, but to make sure I'm getting a new CC number. I'm also contacting LV police and filing a complaint,I'M ALSO TELLING THE COMPANY HOODIA PLEX THAT I AM FILING A POLICE REPORT ON THEIR SCAM. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!

• Jh
    Jhana Kessell Jan 12, 2008

I ordered a free trial 6 months ago, but made sure there was no long term commitment. I stopped getting the Hoodia after November. However, this month(2 months later), they deducted $99.99 from my banking account! Now I can't get a hold of anyone from that company. It's like they don't exist. Be smarter than me. Don't buy into their scam. They will get you in the end.

• Da
    David Labase Jan 12, 2008

We have all been violated! Contact the District Attorney of Las Vegas and file a report.

anne norton Jan 14, 2008

I also got ripped off with this and them continuing to send it and debit my account. I tried calling a few weeks ago and the phone was not in service. When i talked to the bank they said i had supposedly entered into a contract so there was no stopping it. So by chance i called the number again today and actually got someone and he gave me a stop order # and said it would no longer be sent or charged to me. The # i called was 800-597-8654 also try 800-597-8533. Now the true test will be to make sure they don't do it again!!!

• Valerie Jan 14, 2008

I got onto the front page of msn when i seen an advertisement with opras picture for hoodia complex. Went to that website and order a sample of the product the sample was only 5.95 s/h charge. Received the product in which i started taking the hoodia. There were no directions nor were there a receipt to what i ordered.

As i took the product it started making me have severe cramps and gas.looked at my bank account and seen there were a charge of $69.95 for a supply of hoodia did not authorize this to be taken out of my account.called the 800 number the # had been temporally unavailable. This has never happened to me before and will never happen again i am real embarrassed that this happened and opra should hear about this since she was pictured in the ad.i did call my bank and they are going to look into it.

Not only did they charge me but never even received anything but the sample.in which it made me very sick for a week after taking 3 pills.

Joann Morris Jan 18, 2008

QUICK - CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY OR DEBIT CARD AND CANCEL THE CARD - NOW! My credit card company did some checking and this company went under one name and address when I got my free $5.45 shipping charge bottle. When the second bottle arrived (cost of $69.95 charged to my card without my permission), my MC card found that they had a different address, name and phone number. I did try their phone number and they put me on hold and after about 5 minutes the phone went dead. I tried again and the same thing. No paperwork was sent with the bottle. My MC told me that the bank is listed in the state of KN - Kenya, Africa. They advised me to cancel my credit card, file a complaint with MC, file a complaint with NV consumer protection and file an on-line complaint with the FBI. I have done all that. My credit card did credit me back the amount - good company! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME SENDING PRODUCTS BACK..THEY WILL NOT CREDIT YOU AND YOU WILL BE OUT SHIPPING COSTS. NV consumer protection: http://www.ag.state.nv.us/ On line FBI fraud: IC3.gov
    This company is running under different names and different prices. Best advise - don't try free sample - like I did! I wouldn't take the pills either..if they will take your money what else might they do to you. I am thinking of contacting the post office too. What kind of drugs are they sending thru the US Postal service??

• Na
    Nancy Nietzel Jan 19, 2008

Guess what I got in the mail today. My $69.95 bottle of hoodia complex, that I did not order. Looks like the only way out is to cancel my credit card. It might be different if the stuff really worked. What a rip-off!!!

Jamie F Sparkman Jan 26, 2008

Same story as all others.Yes,they should be held accountable for underhanded business I don't care how many others do it!

Janelle Hubeny Jan 30, 2008

After accepting their "free trial" offer, within 2 weeks, I received a full bottle and charged the full amount of $70. There was no return address on the package to return it to. The charge to my card had a number, but it states "This number in temporarily out of service". How long... I don't know. I called my card company and they gave me an e-mail address to write and cancel, but that did not get any reply... except another shipment! Guess what... that phone number is still "temporarily" out of service. How do you stop these people! It isn't bad enough that the product is useless! To add insult to injury... they charge me each month! What do we have to do to stop them?

Sandra Sanderson Feb 04, 2008

Ordered sample and the company then charged my account and sent another bottle. I did not order or authorize. Tried reaching the company and the phone numbers are not in service.

• Ji
    Jill Feb 12, 2008

I was so glad to see the same complaint about Hoodia I have. Now I know I'm not the only one who went through it and hopefully can get my money back as well. I to ordered the free sample off the internet and just paid shipping and handling. About a week later I received a larger bottle of 60 capsules and a charge of 69.95 on my check card. VERY UPSET!!! Now I have to monkey around with getting my money back. I actually liked the product and considered purchasing more, but not now. Not a good way to get a product out there! Thank you for this web site.

• Iv
    Ivonne Santos Feb 12, 2008

I'm having the same problem, will stop at my Bank any more payment to this fraudulent Company.

• Iv
    Ivonne Santos Feb 12, 2008

Same as everyone else.

• Do
    Doris Martin Feb 29, 2008

Received free sample, then received a follow up batch which I did not order & do not want. Beware people!

• Be
    Beverly Tremblay Mar 02, 2008

I too have received 3 extra bottles that were not ordered and have been charged on my credit card. I need to call my credit card company tomorrow.

Linda Carnes Mar 03, 2008

I also am getting refills I do not want. Does anyone know how to stop this?

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices