Highpoint Danes — Deposit
On October 13th, I made a deposit to a company called Highpoint Danes that is owned and operated by Debra Capra. This deposit was for a new born puppy. 2 weeks later she called and stated that she changed her mind and would not sell us the puppy because of something that my wife had stated that she took completely wrong (my wife had stated that we were researching the idea of becoming a breeder ourselves but there was no intent to use the puppy we were purchasing because we didnt know enough about breeding) After I had talked to her she stated that the puppy she was going to sell us was no longer available. I admit that at that time we should have known something was wrong but she insisted that she had a female dog that she was willing to sell to us with full breeding registration. On Oct 23rd we went to her residence located at 8 Blackmore Pond Rd in West Wareham, MA to see the dog. At that time we had informed her that we did not have the full amount but we would have it within 2 weeks in which she agreed to. The following week my daughter got very ill and my wife had to miss a week of work as a result of it. At that time I took a loan against my 401K to make sure that I could purchase the dog as agreed and had informed Debra about the situation, our goal was to be at her house on November 13th to pick up the dog. Because of Veterans Day there was no mail and my check was delayed. I called Debra again to inform her of this minor set back and told her once again that I would be at her house on November 15th with the remaining $600 balance. She again agreed to this. On Nov 14th she sent us an email stating that she sold the dog to someone else because we didnt pick her up in a timely manner. I reminded her of our conversation and she stated again that we didnt pick her up in time and she was concerned that because she (debra) was sick she couldnt monitor Mia (the dog) while she was outside and feared she would get hit by a vehicle out in the road. I had told her that was fine if she didnt want to sell us the dog, all I request is that she send us back the $600 we had paid to her, she refused. Her first statement was that the $350 was non-refundable, then proceeded to tell us that she was going to take the cost of the vet bill out of the $250 we had given to her and mail us a check for the balance. I sent an email stating that a deposit does not mean that you can charge people a deposit, draft them a bill of sale, then sell the dog to someone else and keep the deposit. I told her again that I expect a full refund or we will handle the matter in court. She replied that she would send me the full $250 back but still refused to send me the deposit back and that if we couldnt afford to pay her in a timely manner for the dog then we couldnt afford one of her dogs. She also stated that we cant take her to court in our home town because the contract states we have to take her to court in her home town.