Helium.comHelium refuses to delete my articles and profile

T

I've had a really hard time with Helium.com.

I made about $0.20 from their site and decided that I wanted to use my articles somewhere else - a magazine wants to pay me $50-$100 for some of them but I can't have them posted anywhere else. I emailed helium (at [protected]@helium.com and at [protected]@helium.com) 3-4 times and never received a response.

In an (immature) attempt to get my profile deleted I purposefuly published inappropriate content then reported my own inappropriate article thinking they might pay attention to that.

Well instead of deleting my articles and my profile, they made me one of their "premier writers" giving the articles that I want to use elsewhere even more exposure - and I'm still not being paid for them.

Not only that, but they have locked me out of my own account so I can’t post new work or edit my existing work and profile. I’m absolutely livid. They don’t have rights to my work (by their own admission) and yet they refuse to remove my articles and profile from their website. I should at least have a say where my picture and personal profiles end up, right?

It is very clear to me that Helium.com has absolutely no respect for writers and their artistic rights.

Not only that, but writers should be getting anywhere from $10-$25 per page for their work. Why would I work that hard and not get paid fairly for it? Rankings on Helium.com don’t pay the bills! This website should be shut down. When I signed up, Helium never once (even in their agreement) stated or implied that I wouldn't be able to remove my work or profile from their website later.

I could really use some advice on how to at least get my profile removed from there since as a professional writer, I don't want to be associated with Helium.com at all.

• Da
    David Arthur Walters Apr 15, 2009

David Arthur Walters to Barbara
    April 15, 2009

Barbara, I see that Helium Inc has locked me out of "my" account because I objected to its one-sided terms and insisted that my property be removed from the Helium Inc site. This refusal of access emphasizes that there is really no contract, and that Helium Inc and its officers, directors, and agents are engaged in the theft of property i.e. violation of copyrights. David

We're sorry your account is in a state that cannot be altered.
    We're sorry your account is in a state that cannot be altered.

David Arthur Walters to Barbara
    April 15, 2009

Barbara: You have been very helpful with one exception, and I hope you are being well paid for your sacrifices. The Help Desk is unhelpful. My request is very simple: remove my work from the Helium site immediately. David

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 7:18 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

I’m sorry for any frustrations, but I hope you’ve tried to work with the help desk folks. My part in this is simply to offer you the help and support to help encourage you to stay and get the most out of writing for Helium. I really can’t help on the issues you’ve raised here.

Best wishes,

Barbara Whitlock
    Community Development Manager
    Helium.com
    www.helium.com/users/13060

Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 7:15 AM

Subject: Re: Please delete my account immediately

Barbara, I had not invested much time in Helium, and I was really shocked when I read some of the unconscionable terms of the adhesion TOS - which appeared to have changed somewhat since I last saw them - but what really set me off was the scads of complaints from relatively innocent Helium writers, and the fact that Helium's top executive is unwilling to politely delete the account of someone who has received absolutely no financial consideration at all, consideration being a sine qua non of a valid contract. Some complaints out there claim that Helium is not paying its bills, for example suddenly marking an account down from $30 to $4 in earnings so it will not have to pay, and is otherwise fraudulently manipulating the numbers; of course these claims may be unfounded, which will be determined after the records are subpoenaed. I recall one promotion where I adopted an orphan title and my account was not credited nor was my inquiry about it responded to - not that such a picayune event was world shaking. Anyway, I am beginning to receive quite a bit of information on this issue, and perhaps I will get some nice tidbits from insiders via blind email etc. I hope you had a few nice days off, and are actually getting paid for your good services. David

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

I’m not sure what you’re asking on this one? David, I’m hoping you’ll stay with Helium and I can create a title to which you can resubmit your radical love article. Any chance or do you still want your account disabled?

Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2009 1:06 PM

Dear Barbara,

To what address may service of process by delivered to Helium?

Thanks,

David

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:23 PM, David Arthur Walters wrote:

Thank you, Barbara, I'll examine Helium's TOS for more info on that subject, and get back to you on an ideal title (my title is RADICAL LOVE). I am an advertiser too, and do not like to have good links broken, especially on highly ranked goods. BTW, I encountered a peculiar situation four years ago or so - the editor of an ezine had phony identities that he was awarding writing prizes to (he was charging entry fees), and when I uncovered his scam, he locked me out of the site and refused to remove my material, which he proceeded to negatively criticize in the body of the text itself. Eventually the authorities dealt with him, for the investigation revealed he was wanted on a warrant for child abuse - he catered to children on his site too. What a world! Have a great weekend. David

On Thu, Apr 9, 2009 at 6:34 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

Let’s just make a custom fit title for this. Send me suggestions, I’ll seed it and send you the URL. Then you can resubmit.

Thoughtful piece!

Sent: Wednesday, April 08, 2009 6:29 PM

Subject: Re: Please delete my account immediately

I think someone on your staff took political or religious offense, perhaps at this, just for instance:

"I have neither religious nor political sermon to preach, as I am an optimistic skeptic who places his blind faith in Nothing. Nevertheless, I confess that Jesus' name has been repeatedly bandied about and abused. I admit he was a radical reformer who was tried twice: once in the ecclesiastical court, where he was apparently adjudged innocent of spiritual offenses, of blasphemy and the like, that carried a penalty of death by stoning, and once in the political court, where he was tried and convicted of a trumped up-political charge, of treason, that warranted a penalty of death by crucifixion. I admit he was an advocate of genuine love instead of empty ritual. I deny that he invented love. I opine that he inherited love, as the son of the originally good part of humanity, if he was not Love incarnated as the gnostic son of that god who was once called the Stranger because he was previously unknown on the plane presided over by the selfish god of the Garden of Eden, the jealous and wrathful god who was hell bent on punishing mankind forever for stealing a few apples from his orchard. We might expound on any religion that liberates the individual from selfishness, and still speak of love. I personally view religion as the love of absolute power, the power of life that would endure forever if it could, and politics as the relative or mundane distribution of that power. The so-called original sin is the accident of individuality, but the sin is forgiven in the universality of the category of one, the unity enjoyed by everyone despite their differences. I see at the center of every religion the celebration of the natural sacrifice of the individual for the common good, by which love the individual is made even stronger radical religion is, in a manner of speaking, virtual suicide, by means of which the glorious hereafter is made present now." FROM RADICAL LOVE

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 5:23 PM, David Arthur Walters wrote:

Barbara: Thanks for getting back to me. When I get a moment, I'll dig up a copy and send it to you -. What I've always wondered - if you cannot get into the account, why cannot I delete all the articles in my account instead of asking you to do so? David

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

I can’t view a deleted article. Is it on the site still? If not, can you copy and paste into an email so I can look at it?

It may be that the title was not very effective. If you can think of a good title for your piece I’ll just create one and send it to you, and then you can resubmit.

Sorry for the frustrations,

Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:56 PM

Subject: Re: Please delete my account immediately

This was the link to the article:

Four great ideas in history - by David Arthur Walters - Helium
    by David Arthur Walters. On Love, perhaps the greatest idea in history! ... For instance, when President Barrack Obama, during the latest bust phase of the ...
    www.helium.com/items/1367383-revolutionary-love - 36k - Cached - Similar pages

I recall it was highly regarded - when people click on it, they discover they have wasted their time, and I do not need that kind of "advertising." I believe Helium has some sort of clique of insiders such as I have encountered elsewhere. Anyway, I am very hurried right now as the dead line approaches. Catch you later. David

On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

Do you have the article you could share with me, and perhaps I could craft a very focused title to it, and you could resubmit. Would this interest you, or am I just delaying what you really want, which is to disable your account? I hope not, and I apologize if my appeals are tiresome.

Just let me know and I’ll proceed how you choose.

Warm regards,

Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 6:44 PM
    Subject: Re: Please delete my account immediately

Oh, I had one piece on the subject of Love deleted with a recommendation to put it elsewhere, which I did, in four great ideas in history, which is was actually about, but then it was deleted again with a message to the effect that Love is not one of the four or whatever - and mine was on RADICAL love, i.e. one of the most revolutionary ideas of all time. Anyway, working as I am 60 hours a week, and getting such email, I just don't have time to fool around with it - I figured perhaps some reader complained, as how could Helium be so absurd? I noticed that a couple of deletions said to be off subject were actually ranked in the top quartile, so what does that mean? That Helium is top-down subjectivity instead of bottom-up subjectivity? Anyway, I hope you have a great weekend. Ciao. David

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Barbara Whitlock wrote:

Hi David,

I’m shock to hear this. Can you tell me what happened or forward the email to me so I can investigate?

I’m afraid, as per the User Agreement, when we disable a member’s account it merely blocks their access to their content. The content does stay on the site. I hope we can find some solutions instead of seeing you go. I’m out for the mid chunk of the day, but I’ll be back later in the afternoon to follow up.

Warm regards and apologies,

From: David Arthur Walters [mailto:[protected]@gmail.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 6:26 PM
    To: Barbara Whitlock
    Subject: Please delete my account immediately

Hi, Barbara!

No offense, but I can no longer tolerate Helium's nonsensical content modeling. Every couple of weeks or so, I receive a rejection notice that is usually so absurd that anyone except a complete idiot would find it annoying. Not that I don't wish you all well. Just remove all my content, immediately, please.

Thanks!

• Da
    David Arthur Walters Apr 15, 2009

Sat, 11 Apr 2009 5:24 PM
    From "David Arthur Walters" <[protected]@fastmail.fm>
    To "Mark Ranalli" <[protected]@helium.com>
    Subject Versus Helium, Inc. et al

Dear Mark,

Yes, I am the "guy" who did not threaten legal action until my request for deletion of my account was greeted with prevarication. I asked very politely to begin with, and my request was not honored and the point was ignored. Your adhesion TOS is invalid. I would have went my merry way with due consideration, but absent that, I took some time to actually read the TOS and the many complaints against Helium out there, and was astonished. Since it is clear that you are indeed the person responsible, and you have decided to continue to display my work against my wishes, behavior that may be in violation not only of civil law but the computer crimes statute, I shall conduct a background investigation and proceed accordingly against your firm and its officers and agents. That is not a "threat" but a promise.

If on the other hand you can settle this matter amicably, by removing my property from your site, let me know, and in any event, have a Happy Holiday, if Easter is your observance.

Sat, 11 Apr 2009 11:09 AM
    From "Mark Ranalli" <[protected]@helium.com>
    To [protected]@fastmail.fm
    Subject FW: Is this the correct info? (from guy threatening legal action)

David:

I’m sorry to hear that you wish to cancel your account with Helium. Helium’s user guide and terms are very clear regarding your rights to your content and the rights that you grant Helium when you submit your content. These terms are the same for all of our members. Our terms are clear, valid, legal, and consistent with the norm of web publishing sites. I’m sorry that you don’t like the terms of service.

Best,

Mark Ranalli

Mark Ranalli | President & CEO

Date Sat, 11 Apr 2009 10:21 AM
    From "David Arthur Walters"
    To [protected]@helium.com
    Subject Legal action versus Helium for copyright violation

Mr. Ressler,

I am considering taking legal action against Helium, Inc. in connection with its refusal to remove my work from its Internet site. I believe that Helium's adhesion contract is invalid and that it and its officers are intentionally violating my copyright for commercial reasons, which may be a criminal as well as a civil offense.

Please advise if the information below is accurate for service of process.

Thank you!

Contact: Andrew Ressler
    Company Address: 300 Brickstone Square, Andover, MA 01810
    Primary Phone: [protected] Primary Fax: [protected]
    URL: www.Helium.com
    Corporate Officers: Mark Ranalli, CEO and Andrew Ressler, Vice President, Sales & Marketing and Martha Collins, Vice President, Advertising

• Bu
    bugsey1 Jul 23, 2009

Helium is a scam. It isn't just this ONE case but so many more. I am frankly amazed that people do NOT go after this 'fraud' which I know to be one of the worst supposedly "onine money making" sites in the net. It also makes grandiose claims like "partnership with " the Pulitzer. I wrote the Pulitzer (the real one )about this and it turns out that it's another "phoney" Pulitzer. Of course, Helium refused to admit that despite a letter I am from THE real Pulitzer disclaiming ANYTHING to do with Helium dot com.
    The stewards are trained to LIE, censorship is "understood" in the community board thus, you annot complain about anything. The ontests are also rigged by the so-called "stewards".
    www.heliumasia.com

• Barbara Whitlock Aug 05, 2009

Helium.com supports the largest writing community in the world, but there are five issues that sometimes trip up members:

1. Competition: Helium is based on a competitive model, and not everyone succeeds. Those who don't succeed may cry foul, but ability and effort paves the way to success at Helium. We complement this with a supportive and responsive community and staff. We do all we can to help folks succeed. Not all make it. Unfortunately there are some who don't get connected (or read support materials) to learn the best tips for success. They may leave prematurely. Some also return and get it better with a second (and more sustained and focused) effort.

2. Online culture: Helium requires respectful behavior on the site and in our forums. This stands in contrast to most public web forums. We work hard to educate new members, and guide them. Some persist in rude behavior and get banned.

3. Complexity: Helium is a complex site because we are a multi-faceted publishing platform, with a variety of ways to earn and compete. Those who connect usually work through questions and learn tips for success. Those who do not connect sometimes leave prematurely.

4. International issues: Because Helium is a user-generated content site there are times we need to block IP addresses where we face viral traffic that brings in a high proportion of low-quality content. Sometimes international writers are affected by these decisions. In those instances we give advance notice and remove the content.

5. User Agreement neglect: Every member must sign the User Agreement before registering at Helium. Some do so hastily. Writers retain copyright for all their articles. Those submitted as exclusive in our Freelance Marketplace retain copyright but hand over use rights. Most of the content on the site is held non-exclusively, which means Helium accepts previously-published non-exclusive articles and allows writers to republish Helium articles on other non-exclusive venues. We allow unlimited opportunities to improve articles through our leapfrog process. But writers cannot remove content from the site once published. This is clearly spelled out and explained before participating.

For those assessing Helium and reading what others have written, please be discerning of the comments you read. Often they are written by writers angry or confused for one of the reasons above. If you'd like more information my inbox is always open: [protected]@helium.com

Barbara Whitlock
    New Member Outreach Manager
    Helium.com

• Br
    brokenwhole Dec 07, 2009

I've had a very similar experience. I can no longer login, and yet they keep my articles online! And, to make matters both worse and more farcical, they threatened to report me to the FBI this morning! Here is my own correspondence with them. Unfortunately, I don't have the very first email, since it was through their online form, and I didn't expect it would be a big deal. It was just a polite request to take down the article.

Thanks, Keith Adams
    Would you mind explaining this to me? What have I done to receive this threat? First you claim the right to keep my article up despite the fact that it was written when I was not in my right mind. Then, when I follow your suggestion of leapfrogging the article, and criticize you in it, you come down on me like Big Brother. I’m completely at a loss. You’re saying that you can’t be criticized. What kind of operation are you running. Free speech is the cornerstone of writing.

I’m going to consult with a lawyer, and I’m going to do everything I can do to publicize this behavior through the blogosphere, and writer contacts.

Sent: Monday, December 07, 2009 8:20 AM
    Subject: RE: Site-generated_help_request He:0094807

Further attempts to access helium.com or any Helium computer systems will be considered malicious and reported to local and state law enforcement, the Internet Crimes division of the FBI and your internet service provider. Your account has been disabled and the original article restored to the title.

=================================
    Helium Security

Received: 12/5/2009 10:56 PM
    Jim

Very well, I see that you’re sticking to rigid officialdom over common humanity. That is your choice. I’ve leapfrogged the article with a complete rewrite discussing the original article, and the rigidity and lack of empathy from Helium staff, who absolve themselves of the need to make intelligent judgment calls by quoting rules and regulations. Hopefully, community will win out over bureaucracy, and my original article will disappear.

Sincerely, Keith Adams

Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 2:02 PM

Greetings Keith Adams,

Thanks for your interest in and efforts on Helium! I manage both Customer Service and Tech Support at Helium. I am sorry but there really is nothing to discuss here. I have looked at the article and there is nothing that violates the user agreement. We do not delete articles at our writers request for many reasons. You have read and agreed to this at least 3 times. There are a multitude of reasons for this policy and the one that our legal team is most concerned about is that if we do it for one writer, we will be remiss if we don't do it for all writers. You have the ability to leapfrog the article if you wish and try to change it. You can change your pen name associated with the article. My number is below in my signature if you wish to call us we are on Eastern Time and hold regular business hours.

Helium is in a constant state of change and improvement. If you have questions about the site, the first and best place to look is our new improved helium user guide http://help.helium.com/Home which you can access it from the footer on most Helium pages. There is a helpful search feature which can save time if used.

Jim Logan

Helium. Where Knowledge Rules. www.helium.com

Received: 12/2/2009 11:40 AM
    Subject: RE: Site-generated_help_request He:0094807
    Hi, may I talk to somebody higher up the food chain, please?

And let me try a different tack. I’m only concerned about one article, and it breaks the Helium user agreement, since it advocates a possibly fraudulent activity: misrepresenting yourself on the phone as somebody else (e.g. a New York Times technology writer) in order to get superior customer service. See http://www.helium.com/items/84107-how-to-avoid-waiting-forever-with-call-centers.

I can’t believe you guys are so rigid, and without compassion here. Please let me speak to a customer-service manager, by phone.

Sincerely,

Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 8:04 AM

Greetings Keith Adams,

Thanks for your interest in and efforts on Helium! What you are calling your user ID is what we call your username. This is not publically facing and one cannot google that and find your Helium artiles unless you used this in your bio or your articles. I am sorry but this is our policy and unless the content is in some way offensive or violates our user agreement we don't remove it.

Jim Logan

Helium. Where Knowledge Rules. www.helium.com

Received: 12/1/2009 12:50 PM
    Hi

I appreciate that you have regulations, and that I agreed to them. But I wasn’t in my right mind when I agreed to them. I can produce a note from my psychiatrist that will both confirm that I was not in my right mind when I did this, and also that I’ve been completely stable ever since (that is, I am in my right mind now.)

Changing my pen-name won’t do, because my userid, brokenwhole, is, in effect, my online persona at many websites, and I can’t change that since it’s in the name of my book and my blog, and I want Google searches to find me. Since it remains my helium userid, the articles will be found in a Google search.

Can you please explain to me the legal reasons why you can’t remove the article?

Your suggestion for using leap frog is not acceptable, I’m afraid. You’re asking for a community of people I don’t know to have the say over whether an article I wrote when manic should be replaced by a more sober article (they would probably choose the more entertaining manic version). It’s completely unacceptable that other people should have a say on deciding whether an article written while I was
    “crazy” should be left up or not.

Would it be possible to change my userid? Alternatively, do you have a mechanism to suppress my article coming up in Google. If you can do the latter, you could change the current URL (so that old links on Google will lead to a dead-end), then suppress it from being found at the new link.

Please work with me on this. I’d appreciate it if you could call me to discuss.

Sincerely, Keith Adams

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 5:34 AM

Greetings Keith Adams,

We understand your concerns but we do have certain regulations and for legal reasons we are bound to adhere to them. The primary issue in your case is that we are not allowed to remove articles once they have been submitted unless it infringes on our user agreement. This is spelled out in the user agreement that you have stated that you read and agreed to upon joining the site. We also require that you check a box each time you submit an article that states the following "I also understand that I will not be able to delete the article after it is posted."

We do have a feature that allows our writers to edit or replace an article. This is called leapfrog. By using leapfrog, you are able to submit a replacement or an edit to an existing article that you have submitted. The leapfrog article will be put into 3 ratings with the existing article you are trying to leap. If the community deems the new leapfrog article better, the leapfrog replaces the existing article. If the community decides otherwise the existing article will remain. To access this feature, go to your My Helium: My Articles page and click on the "leapfrog" wording next to the article you wish to improve upon. You are only allowed to have 20% of your total articles in a leapfrog status. When attempting to re-leap an article, you can only do this 7 days from the last leapfrog rating of the previous leapfrog attempt.

We also have a feature in which you can set up a pen name so that your personal name is not displayed with your articles on the Helium site. In order to do this, login to the site and go to My Helium: Account Settings and click on the pen name tab. In creating a pen name you will replace your first and last name as it appears with your work on the site. When someone clicks on your pen name they are taken to your About Me page. Have you entered the information you wish to have there? To get there go to My helium: About Me and update all pertinent information.

Above all, know that we are always here to [protected]@helium.com

Cindy Wester

[protected]@helium.com
    Helium. Where Knowledge Rules.
    www.helium.com

Received: 11/30/2009 10:45 PM
    Cc: Keith Adams
    Subject: Site-generated_help_request
    Hi

I realize you say you don't allow authors to delete articles, however the
    two articles I wrote were written when I was in the middle of a severe manic
    episode, and are not representative of who I am. It's very important to me
    that they get taken down. It's not fair of you to say that you have the
    right to keep up something I wrote when I was mentally ill. In particular,
    I'm having a book published next year, and these articles would be very
    damaging to my reputation if found in a Google search.

Thanks, Keith

Heliumsagas Dec 24, 2009

Keith Adams,

Helium's mismanagement will eventually drive it into the ground. As for its threats to have you picked up by the F.B.I., those threats might be crimes, and I suggest you report them to the F.B.I. A Helium officer actually threatened to have me prosecuted on false charges although he admitted I would probably win the case, warning me that it would be very expensive for me to defend myself. It's best to ignore these thugs and go forward, as it won't belong before the whole site along with the articles it has stolen sinks into oblivion.

• Re
    Rev. Rex Jan 29, 2010

I'm sincerely sorry you've had difficulties. I do want to point out a couple things, though.

1. The non-exclusive clause of the contract that every writer must agree to, in order to write on Helium is pretty clear. Nobody forces anyone to accept the terms, that is up to the individual. If a person accepts a contract, they are legally bound by the terms of the contract.

2. Expecting $50 or whatever from an article that may have taken 20 minutes to write, on a site that pays by ad revenue, is unrealistic. However, many people have made far more than this, and continue to do so. The reason is perpetual earnings. As long as a person remains active, as explained in the User Agreement, they continue to earn on the article. This can be quite a bit more than $50 in all. I personally have an article that has earned well over $30, and it isn't a year old yet, but is still earning. The more good articles that are written, the more that is made every month.

Freelance writing has never been a high earning job. I doubt it ever will be. Like all work, it does require effort. It is a little unfair to cry foul when you were presented a contract when you signed up, accepted it, then changed your mind, regardless of why you changed your mind. Contracts simply don't work that way.

The EULA is also pretty common, in various forms, on other writing sites. As with those sites, it is pretty easy to cancel your account...just stop writing to the site. You might lose out on quite a bit of revenue, but that is your choice. Anyone can do this, at any time. The fact is that the membership is growing, the revenue is increasing, and the readership is skyrocketing. Nobody has to get in on the bonanza, but any good writer can.

Again, I'm sorry you had a negative experience. Just don't blame Helium for it.

Rex

• Bu
    Bugsey Mar 15, 2010

Move ON! WE all know it's a scam. Talking about it so often is now so entertaining and nothing else.

• Ho
    Hope Wilson Jul 20, 2011

Reading Helium's replies is such a waste of time. They can shorten what they say to 1 sentence " We stick to whatever is in the contract no matter what". I remember when I got locked out of my account with over 50 articles in the top 6 rankings for weeks how LIVID and confused I was. My first thought was, they can't do that! But then I read the contract, but it still didn't seem right. To be so ethical and polite sounding, they sure are selfish and greedy! Way too many of those kinds of people going around these days. And to say that freelancers aren't known to make money, what a crock. So I am going to work for you for free because that's what everyone else does? Advertisers pay to be on your page because... freelance writers like us post our original work. Unfortunately, people joining helium will only read threads like this AFTER they have a problem. Prevention is the key. These days, I am very inclined to watch and research anyone I do business or exchange personal information with. I am much more patient about that then I have ever been in my life because I have gotten worn down and fed up with entertaining every person who tries to steal from me after giving me compliment to warm me up. Always seems to be a catch these days. Too many people hide behind their contracts even when multiple people complain because they can. To them, if you write on a paper "you can have my soul, signed, me" then they will gladly put that in a vault and have some coffee. Then again, this should be a good lesson not to go around signing or "clicking" contracts without reading all the fine print. Now us writers know how musicians feel! They must hear it all the time how they aren't entitled to their royalties because they signed a contract. If this isn't pimping for talent then I don't know what is.

• Ne
    nensy.lee Jan 06, 2012

just got the same problem with u. i don't know, how to handle this ><

can somebody help me out?

anne89 Feb 28, 2012

I absolutely understand you Marine. I now can't delete my articles which I need very much and I hate helium for that> Never Post there anything. What a scam. Yeah i know they say you can't delete, at least let us edit it the way we want. Just so TERRIBLE! I have written about 10 articles and earned 1.64 dollar. They are just teasing us!

anne89 Feb 28, 2012

I completely agree with you. Helium is just so TERRIBLE! Scam!

AngryFlower Apr 14, 2012

I've started a petition against their rules. It is illegal to have them in the contract to begin with. If we can stick together, maybe then we will be heard. I know this complaint is outdated, but Helium is still abusing writers. https://www.change.org/petitions/helium-com-allow-writers-to-remove-their-work-from-the-website#

• Te
    tehran11 Jan 24, 2013

STAY AWAY FROM HELIUM, THIS SITE IS JUST A SCAM . sent more than 10 times several emails to Helium requested to remove my articles - never ever even they responded my emails while they are earning lots of money from my articles . even explained them my life is in trouble because of one of my articles as I am originally from a Islamic country but they totally ignored my emails. they even don't allow any edits on my articles even if I cancel my account, my articles still remains o the website.
    I just noticed there are many complaints against this website but not any notice have been taken so far by legal authorities. NEVER EVER TRUST THIS SITE

• Le
    LER13903 Jun 10, 2013

Helium is not a scam but they need a major overall. I have tried a few times to have some articles removed but they never replied back. So I did some leapfrogs on my articles with the word "Delete this" numerous times until I had the word count. Some of the leapfrogs were accepted but others were rejected. So of course I think I have been banned because I can't log in and when I try to do a password recovery I get this message: "We're sorry your account is in a state that cannot be altered" Now all the times I tried to get something removed and they never replied back and now they ban me. If I am banned then they should not have any rights to my articles they should remove them as well

Heliumwriter Dec 02, 2013

Helium. Com

Today I asked for a poem to be deleted : and this is the email I got back from them.

. I sent the request on December 2, 2013. I am very upset that you can not delete your OWN INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY. If anyone out there knows how to stop this behavior and allow users to delete their own account and articles -- PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW !!!

Thank you for your email. I am unable to delete articles upon request as within the terms of our User Agreement, all articles stay on the site.
    Helium is in a constant state of change and improvement. If you have questions