Complaints & Reviews

fraud

They called me on my cell phone telling me I'd won some $1000 online shopping spree but in order to receive it I had to agree to get magazines from them. After speaking with the woman who called me for a few minutes, she said she would transfer me to her supervisor so her supervisor could make sure I had all the info I needed from them and that the first person I spoke with gave good customer service. The supervisor reads my address to me (scary!) and then wants my credit card number. When I said I don't give out my CC# over the phone, she said "thank you" and hung up.

They had given me an order number (140) and then a phone number to call if I had any questions - [protected] (This is different from the number they used to call me). I will be closely watching my bank statements to make sure they don't charge me anything and if they do I will report it to my bank. This makes me really nervous about who has my information...

Don't talk to these people at all. I used to only answer the phone if I knew who was calling, but since I have a small business, I answer all my calls. I think I'll only answer local calls from now on and return calls to legit customers as needed.

• Te
    TEO. B Feb 23, 2012

i agree i was frauded but i fell for the scam i fell for it all and now i keep getting scrambled 1800 numbers calling my house every day i wanted to return the magazines but i only last fri feb, 17 2011 did i get a bogus letter saying i owe 998. 00 for 4 magazines i recieved one which was jet magazine which i never agreed to at all. so i am not paying them its not right these ppl need to get shut down for good i read many complaints about these ppl and they still have not be shut down.

• Le
    LearnedAValuableLesson Sep 11, 2012

I am in the middle of a dispute with this magazine service as well. I received a phone call on my cell phone on August 27th stating that I had won a online gift card as well, with a purchase of a magazine service. I was under the weather with the flu during this call and initially agreed to the charges and gave out my card information, but when I was speaking with the supervisor lady I had a series of questions to agree upon before the order was finalized...at the very end I did NOT agree to the subscription and the lady told me my card would be credited back the next business day and hung up. Here it is Sept 11th, and the charge is pending in on my credit card. I called the number listed as the merchant "READERS SERVICE" and they told me they had no record of my order and if I contacted my credit card number with a fax number they would fax something over to them stating to remove charges. When I called back with a fax number another lady said that was not the case. So once again I called my credit card company and they said that they couldn't do anything until the next statement date which isn't until the 26th of Sept and if they hadn't received a final hard copy of the charge they drop the charges. Or another option is to call the merchant back and 3way a call to my credit card company and if they (the merchant) says they don't have record of my order, then my card company will delete the charge. And of course I went to call the merchant and it's after business hours, so bright and early tomorrow morning I will be giving them a call and conference in my card company...once the chargers and said and done I will call my card company and request for a new card number so that way this so-called company doesn't have a chance to recharge me. This is definitely a life lesson and I will no longer giving out my personal information over the phone...even if it sounds like a dream come true prize.

refuses to cancel

I called to cancel my subscription with them a few months ago and they REFUSED. I asked how that was even possible and a guy named Matt is cancelation and refunds couldnt tell me why. I've been dealing with them for 3 months now (since I canceled my card) Matt played a recording of me 'agreeing' to the terms. The woman said "i ask that you stay with us for the full terms and chose not to cancel' and because after she said that I said 'ok' they're saying thats me agreeing not to cancel. I said not one time was I ever told I COULDNT cancel. I only decided to cancel because I cant afford it anymore and honestly dont want to keep getting the magazines. I'm afraid if I continue not to pay they'll take me to court and I just want this over this and for them to stop harassing me.

And today I finally returned a phone call because I received a voicemail saying that they may have made a mistake with my account and to call back to get a full refund. Well when I called he said my account wasnt one of the ones that had a mistake. I asked why they called when they werent even sure if they'd made a mistake and he said they hadnt reviewed the tapes yet they were just letting me know they MAY have made a mistake. I asked what sense does that make? telling someone who might have made a mistake but werent sure and he couldnt give me an answer. I think it was a way of getting people who have stopped paying and refuse to continue to pay them to call them back.

Someone please give me some advice.

• Go
    gomspal Nov 02, 2010

I need advice too on how to cancel this service from Great American Readers. I have already paid 3 month's worth of $25 each and I just received their gift certificate for $1, 000 and I looked into the website and most of the items there are from like five years ago.

I don't want to continue the subscription anymore because I will have to pay it for the next 18 more months and it's not even worth it. The monthly payment that I have to make ($25 for 5 magazines for 20 months) is way too high for a year's subscription of it. If I subscribe directly from the magazine it will only cost me $14 for a year's subscription compared to their $60 a year ($5x12 months).

Please help me. Thank you very much.

as third party on vista print

This company traps you into making you think that you have to purchase magazines as a benefit to receiving...

magazine scam

My 20 yr old daughter apparently fell for this scam as well. She doe not live at my home at the present but...

a complete ripoff!!!

Ok, ok, ok. I too was suckered...bad!!! I was called by Great American Readers at work one day and decided to...

cannot cancel

This company is a SCAM. They hook you in stating that you will get all these magazines and a 1000 gift...

scam/fraud

Dear Sir/Madam,

Great American Readers magazine company called me last March 2009 to tell me that I have won a $1, 000 gift certificate and a magazine subscription. They have told me that it will be a one-time payment of $39.90 and the magazines will be free for 20 months. I was excited when I heard this but I wasnt aware that this is a scam. On my second bank statement, I noticed that there was another charge of $39.90 on my account. I called Great American Readers but for a few days, only the answering machine was answering my calls. Finally, after many days of calling and leaving messages an operator picked up, and when I told them my issue they told me that it is 39.90 a month for 20 months. I told them politely that I would like to cancel because I can't afford that much, but they said it is non-cancellable. I have been trying too many times to cancel an expensive magazine subscription but they won't let me do so. I already cancelled my debit account because they are continually taking money from my account without my consent. I researched their company and only found many complaints from other people who are also going through what I'm dealing with. Great American Readers don't even have a website.Please I need assistance, they are trying to call me everyday because I closed my bank account.

They also call me from different numbers with different area codes, as well as random 1-800 numbers. It is very inconvenient because they call me during work hours (or even as early as 8AM)

chevalla cable Feb 09, 2010

this is ms. chevalla cable i want my subscripion cancelled have not recieved or seen any of these magazines, ya'll keep takein money out my account STOP TAKIN MY MONEY I'M CANCELLING EVERYTHING FROM UR COMPANY i think you guys r frauds & should be sued. now we see why you people don't give out ur phone number because ya;ll are frauds CANCELL TODAY FEBUARY 9TH 2010. TOUCH MY ACCOUNT AGAIN 7 i will find a way to sue the crap out of ur company. have a nice freakin day. bunch fraud & money thiefs. my addresss is 2402 sw D ave, lawton oklahoma. 73505. phone no# to reach me at is 580-647-0318 cancell today or else.

• Ro
    RON 1964 Feb 12, 2010

in august 2009 i have same promble i cancelled my order i have a call from grat amercian readers they told me 49.99 1 time fee but i got my statement from my bank it took it 49.99 9 times i call to cancelled told me no i call my bank they say no i close my account with my bank and federal trade center in washington dc told me to call amercian genreal right now they call 3-9 times a day on my boyfriend phone threat him this not ronald it blongs to michelle i have cell phone records with ronald information on it

• As
    asapua Feb 15, 2012

PLEASE HELP! i am in the same situation as the post. i have tried cancelling but they have given me the run around so many times. and at this point all they do is forward me to the collections department they have. i got a phone call from them, very unprofessional, a man named U.I. James... then i call back and another man answers, i asked why someone called, he said he had no record of someone calling. i talk with him to try and get rid of this damn subscription and he harassess me and tells me to "grow up" or i will forever be in the collections department. also said if i wanted to cancel i'd have to pay off the remaining $900 on my account. WTH. F THAT! Please if anyone knows what to do, please contact me at [email protected] I have already cancelled my debit card so they can't take out money, but as for being in their collections department and stopping them from harrassing me, i need help. PLEASE!

fraud

i pretty much have the same complaint no magazines yet but have taken 49.90 dollars out of my checking...

youre being scammed

I received a phone call stating I had won a $1000 gift certificate. This company told me that they were with the BBB and asnwered every question as if they were really legitamite, all I had to do was agree to some magazines for a certain period of time. They recommened that I not cancel my subscription. Like a fool I agreed to give them my card information (by that night the transaction was through the bank). I went to work and told my co-workers and they immediately said I was scammed. Sure enough I went online. They are not with the BBB and everywhere you look with them you read other peoples stories just like mine. I never received the gift certificate, but I have gotten about 6 different magazine subscriptions in the mail. These are not magazines that I signed up for and when I tried to cancel them, they will not let me. This company calls me at least 5 times a day trying to get their money (I cancelled my card) and have threatened me with legal action. They curse and laugh at me and have hung up on me. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER do business with them. They are playing on peolpe during a bad economic state.

zebra kitty Dec 10, 2009

Last week they were making calls claiming a person won a $1000 gift card from purchases made using their Visa or Mastercard on Black Friday.

They deduct that money right away. No sooner had my friend called me about that uneasy feeling we were online checking the bank account and it was already a pending transaction...

Christmas time is always a difficult period to understand someone may be evil, but during this recession is especially daunting.

• Rj
    rjaguar3 Apr 07, 2010

Not a lawyer, but you should check whether your jurisdiction has a statute of frauds, which would require certain binding contracts to be in writing.

say you're getting gift but really are spending same amount for magazines

I was called and was told I was on the internet and clicked on something that put me in a group of names and I was picked to recieve a $1, 000 gift card which I could use at any stores to purchase whatever I wanted.

Then in a bit of a confused message I was told that I would receive 5 bonus magazines and they would be billed at $3.83 for all five weekly. I was told this was a 60 month payment! Then I was told that rather than bill weekly they would bill me monthly and "bundle up" payments so I would only have to pay $49.90 for 20 months and then I would'nt have to worry about the rest.

After I gave them my credit card reluctantly, and hung up the phone I started to do the math. There's no free anything. I will be paying $998.00 for those magazines - which I really don't want!

I am contacting my bank immediately to make sure no more money is removed from my account.

Please arrest these people!

Annette Diebold

• Ka
    Kara E. Lurz Nov 19, 2009

Right there with you. I had my credit card company change the numbers and send me a new card so that they would no longer have access. These people have been calling me non-stop for weeks and have been extremely nasty to me. I have recently found out that they also go by the name of "iprofitkit". I wish you luck in getting them to stop. I have found that I must be nasty right back otherwise they will not listen to a word I have to say. They are nothing but a scam, I was promised the same thing as you. They will not get another penny out of me even if I have to go to court to get this settled.

• Co
    colonelwind Dec 07, 2009

Going thru the same thing here!! there's a nasty man named chris who claims there is no one above him to speak to. now they are threatening me that its going thru their legal department and that will be ruining my credit. I've canceled my card and they just keep bugging me. I tried repeatedly to cancel with in the first week and they would trick me with deals and then i called to for sure cancel not make deals and they said it was past cancellation date. He kept saying i was lying. and then he made me listen to a recording of me accepting the offer in the beginning but did not have ANY of the recordings of me trying to cancel the account. Has anyone gone far enough with this to see if they are real and will really ruin your credit and take you to court. i'm only 21 years old and i have worked so hard to establish good credit i'm so worried about this anyone help.

• Li
    lindsay20 Jan 14, 2010

hey colonel wind i faced the same problem as yours..whats your status now??

• Vi
    Virginia Sanders Aug 03, 2010

The same thing happened to my daughter who is 24 years old. She cancelled her debit card after a couple of payments were deducted. Now she has received an invoice through the mail asking for the balance. They said they are going to go through a third party collections. Here is a number they gave 866-704-5419.

shopping spree/magazines

Like all the other Great American Readers posts on here, I was an idiot and fell for this, They just took the...

tried to get my credit card info

I was offered $1000.00 giftcard and (5) magazine subscriptions for 5 years for the low cost of shipping $3.83...

scams

They got me on their little scam and have been harassing me and my parents for 6 months now. Today they called and threatened to garnish my wages.

• Rp
    R Pomerleau Sep 10, 2009

I got caught too and they are now saying they will contact my employer, etc...where are you at with this is you posted this back in May??

Thanks

• Ga
    ganaganah Mar 29, 2010

I clicked on an ad on Facebook and filled out my phone number just to see what happened (but then backed out of taking any offers). I just got a call from a guy from Great American Readers saying that I was "chosen" to receive a $1, 000 shopping spree to Ikea if I would agree to pay the shipping and handling on 5 magazine subscriptions. The guy was even coy enough to mention that I could cancel at any time and still get the gift certificate (as long as I didn't tell his manager that he said it;), then he asked me for my debit card over the phone, I was thinking, "you got to be kidding." The guy on the phone was very charming and polite, and when I said that I'm not comfortable giving out any info on the phone, he said that his manager would call me back. I got the call back 5 minutes later. I told the supervisor that I don't give any information out over the phone, but if they want to mail or email me some sort of contract and a better description of their offer, I would look over it and get back to them. She said it wasn't possible and wished me a good evening. Now that I see what you guys are going through, I'm glad I went with my gut instincts. It's sad that companies like this are even allowed to exist. Then again, how is this any different from what the government has been doing to us lately;)

zebra kitty Apr 05, 2010

My friend had alerted the bank who eventually allowed the charge to go through. After contacting the bank again they said we had to at least contact the agency, which we did and threatened to report them to the BBB. Also, since it was a cell phone they called we reported them to the FCC for being on the Do Not Call list.

We then called the bank and said that they were a scam company and refused to reverse the false charges. After calling GAR every day for a week they actually said they would cancel it. Somewhere between that the charge WAS reimbursed!

However we still get magazines randomly all the time. We tape them shut and black out the address, write RETURN TO SENDER- NO SUBSCRIPTION!

Note the dates any magazines are called and contact the Customer Service Department to ensure they are getting them back and that the mailman isn't keeping them.

• La
    Lalalss Feb 02, 2011

I was stupid enough to give them my details also. I don't know why, maybe because I actually am medically inclined partially [censor]ed, if you consider calling someone who is depressed out of their mind and can't take 'no' for an answer, then yeah, I'm stupid. But i got scammed, they must have hacked into careernetwork.com cause in order for me to apply for a job i had to click two ' free' subscriptions (im pretty skeptical of those things but since it was a re-nouned website i was like, "this surely can't be right, but whatever"). Then i received a call from them and they said "thanks for your application" ( they didn't clarify, i was just thinking it was the actual job application), then they told me my subscription would be "$3.88p/w so, $18.00 a month" for 20 months, and told me that i can't back out or cancel the subscription then transferred me to their 'financial' division. There they told me i had subscribed to apparently 49.90 for 20 months and asked me when they would prefer the first payment to come out, i told them 1st March. However, a week later on the 20th Jan $49.90 came out and i was like, "wtf, over!"

I lost my card (suck [censor] to them) so i went to the bank and got a new one and when i called a couple of days later to make a stop payment their was no point cause the card was already canceled and they can't use it. ( i guess thats one way to get rid of them) Only problem i have now, is that if they try to threaten me in any sense, well let's just say it's lucky i went to JAG, filed disputes and whatever else and if they cause mental distress to a mental ill patient already ( yes, i have a personality disorder, and others) well.. poo to them.

Don't fall for this scam. It's terrible.

P.S The million dollar sweepstake they sent me is funny. They used random 'deluxe' rich style pictures, also all the winners on the bottom look like their pictures were taken in the 40's, and their isn't a single winner who looks like they are from this era in time. Sad. Below it says ' Real people - real winners'. Lol.

Also. The $250 gift card, is just a peice of A4 paper with a [censor] colored watermark, which so easily was done on word.

taking money before time and not giving you an out if you need also a 945.00 balance need to know what i can do

i can not see paying that much for books talking about prepaid i will cancel my credit card pay it off for get about great american readers someone tell me what to do

• Bu
    bull Jul 08, 2009

they did same thing to me except i'm not sure how theygot my credit card information and when i asked them for documents or to cancel they refused

zebra kitty Dec 09, 2009

fraud of takin money out of account

I had got a call bout a thousand dollar offer if I buy some magazines. They told me exactly that they are...

unauthorized order

This company conducts business in a very rude way. I tried to reach them for days to let them know that this magazine subscription was unauthorized and I did not want their product. I could not get through to anyone and had to contact my bank and file an affidavit about this situation. They are rude and obnoxious and are taking advantage of the elderly. This is my 88 year- old fathers account and he does not understand what has happened although I have tried to explain it to him. I am asking anyone with dealings with this company to beware of unfair business practices

• Li
    Linda Sparrow Mar 26, 2009

Yes they are really nasty and use foul language when talking to you, disgusting!

• Sc
    scotty Apr 27, 2009

Im dealing with a great american reader too and in my cace they called me and i just wanted 20 magazines for $54.99. I paid $54.99 then the after reciving the 20 magazines they still sent me more. So i tried to call them and they would never return my messages. Now they say that i owe them $980... i never asked for this. Now im having to go to court. Also they are very rude, obnoxious and will not listen to what you have to say. Please be carfull befor you say anything to these people...

total fraud!!!

This company contacted me and basically started speaking super fast. The guy I spoke to was named Richard Wall and he told me he was new at the company so he didn't know any of the details (and he was flirty, making jokes, singing...all a ploy to suck you in) but if you have seen the movie Boiler Room, this is not unlike this company's schemes I just wish I realized this before hand. I have contacted the cancel number that this very rude and GHETTO woman gave to me after I figured out what was happening after which I called my bank and my bank has filed a claim to cancel this charge. The ghetto operator for Great American Readers gave me this number and told me not to say that she did while on tape but she prompted me to give the answers to questions so again, I was continuously tricked bc if i hung up, the damage was already done. The number they gave me to cancel does in fact have a live person at it if you call at exactly 9 am eastern time. The woman I spoke to was named Kelly and she told me that the charges would "fall off" after 7-10 business days but I can't trust anyone or anything affiliated with his company so I called my bank for backup. I have no idea what is going to happen but I promise I will not pay for this despite this being my mistake, this company does a fantastic job of duping me.

• Je
    jess Apr 03, 2009

Do y0u have the phone number to cancel?

zebra kitty Dec 09, 2009

this is fraud; no existing number to cancel!!!

This company scams people into giving them a debit card number so that they can take out $49.90/month (Which...

fraud and taking out money out of my account sooner than discussed

This company contacted me on a sat offered a thousand dollars if i purchased a year subscription of...