Great American Readers Logo

Great American Readers

Having problems with Great American Readers?

Great American Readers reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 30, 2008. The latest review fraudulent business practices; misrepresentation of the cost of the service; refusal to cancel order was posted on Feb 12, 2019. The latest complaint inability to cancel magazine subscription was resolved on Aug 21, 2013. Great American Readers has an average consumer rating of 3 stars from 59 reviews. Great American Readers has resolved 27 complaints.

Great American Readers Customer Service Contacts

PO Box 20460
Bloomington, Minnesota
United States - 55420-0460

Great American Readers Complaints & Reviews

Feb 12, 2019

Great American Readers — fraudulent business practices; misrepresentation of the cost of the service; refusal to cancel order

I have attempted to resolve this issue with great american readers but they have only continued to harass me...

Great American Readers — what not let me cancel

I asked many times when I signed up if I was able to cancel at any time they evared the question by saying...

Great American Readers — magazines

I signed up for this magazine service, I paid my first month, haven't received a damn thing except gift card...

Great American Readers — unwillingness to cancel magazines and ongoing billing

My disabled daughter some how got a subscription in February or March of 2018 from this company which wa...

Great American Readers — subscription

I was called back in March 2017 and stupidly signed up for the subscription which i then cancelled a month...

Great American Readers — not canceling magazine order & continual billing

Initially, I got a call i won a 250 $ of Target Gift card and trapped me for 6 magazines. they charged 49.95$...

Great American Readersmagazines

I was call about magazines. I was told I can cancel any time and would get gift cards of $200 after I confirmed my email address. Well, I did that and then was emailed that the gift card would be sent to me through my email after service started. Which is the first lie the caller said. The second was I told them I couldn't do anything to the first of the month and the caller said no problem, but there is a problem because thhem took $49.95 out of my bank account before the first and now it is overdrawn. Third tried to cancel because I haven't gone anything and was given a hard time.

Great American Readers — magazines

Got a call from them about magazines and gift card paid 49.95 then tried to cancel just got another call...

Great American Readers — magazines

This is the worst company ever they are rude they hung up on me I tried to cancel my services because I wa...

Great American Readersgreat american readers

I was on facebook one day and I ran into this ad about free gift certificates I was contacted by this company saying that if i started a subscription for magazines i would get the free gift cards... They told me I would be able to cancel at any time. I keep it for 2 months called and cancelled... A month later I received a letter in the mail saying I owe 1, 000 dollars... I called them and told them i cancelled and they said you can't cancel... The person i talked to said you can cancel at any time... They sent me over to collections and now this is on my credit file... These people are scamming others... Please don't fall for their lies.. They will have you in a bind

Great American Readerscustomer service

I got swindled into a subscription back in March 2017, and was told that I would only have to pay 49.90 as a one time fee. Turns out, it is every month, and because I haven't paid, this company took out more then half of my paycheck. It was my fault for signing up with these people, but when I called this morning, I was told to quit being lazy and a dumb [censor] before I got hung up on.

Great American Readersnot canceling magazine order & continual billing

I have been trying to cancel this subscription/order since last Dec 2016. During the first phone call I was told I could cancel at any time multiple times. Today, I was told I can't cancel until I pay 199.00. I have been automatically drafted 39.90 monthly and I haven't received magazines. This is a lot of money and all I get is harassment and very rude (bordering verbal abuse) from their representatives. This morning they also told me that I haven't received any magazines because I changed my address in January 2017. Why in the world would I do such a thing? At one point, I had my bank block these drafts, but somehow they managed to sneak through charges anyway.

Please help me get my money back and myself removed from any lists that they have.

All I have is 8002694179READERS [protected] FL on my bank statement which reoccurs on the 15th of every month.

In my opinion, this is theft and this really be illegal.

Great American Readersrefusal to cancel my subscription, when I was told by the first person I could cancel at any time

When I was first contacted by a phone sales person at Great American Reader, I miss-understood how much cost per month; and I swear I thought he told me I could cancel at any time. When I got charged the first time, I called them back and the first words out of my mouth was "I want to cancel this - all of it". Somehow I ended up getting the month charge cut in half - then I called back and told them again I wanted to cancel my subscription. They then told me it was too late to cancel - they would stop the magazines, only after I paid them in full (almost $400). Since then they have called me several times in the middle of the work day; trying to bully me into paying them in full, and threatening me to put everything into "collections". ANY help is appreciated - Thank you!

Great American Readersservice

I am telling you to stop contacting me! I stopped my subscription before I received any magazines. I just received some just recently and am returning them to you as soon as I can. Do not call me or send me anymore messages! Leave me alone!!! If I receive anymore from you I will turn it over to an attorney. I have seen what the bbb has to say about you!

Great American Readerscanceling account

Please cancel my account immediately. Order number is: 1150283. I have not received any of the magazines and no longer want them. Do not contact me ever again. I don't know what else to put on here other than I want this settled immediately. Do not send me anymore letters nor do not call me at any time. I have not received not one of the magazines since I was contacted and I got in trouble for ordering the stupid magazines.

• Ab
                  Abdul Mohamed Mansaray Jun 08, 2017

I am Abdul I think Great American greatest have a very fraudulent sales practice. I was called to be informed that I have won a $250 gift card from great American readers and in order to claim my gift card I need to provide my details I did and I was informed by a magazine sales program over the phone that I can order and I cancel it at any point in time I chose to. I clearly told the sales person that I would need to evaluate the product physically before validating the whole order it was agreed and I informed them that I will call to cancel if I don't want the product. I received a gift card notification by email and details of the order.
                  I called the customer service line for days it was already past the 7 days cancellation clause. After many efforts my debit card fit constantly charged I started receiving bounce of unwanted magazines that I don't read I called the customer service line informing them about my situation and for them to refer back to my phone conversation with the sales person. They said i can't reach the sales person. I categorically cancelled the order we had a big fight on the phone. I blocked the payment and now the fight is on.
                  This is fraudulent misrepresentation and I am so furious this is Day light Rubbery I checked my statement and I was charged 3 times.
                  This is the beginning please just stop sending me all your baseless magazines to my mail.

Great American Readerscomplaint

I was dealing with this company who would not cancel for me. So i sent a very detailed letter to the attorney general for the state this company is in. Once great american readers was contacted by the ag office, not only did gar return all of my money, they forwarded every single magazine that i originally ordered. It's been a few years since i filed my complaint and i am still receiving some magazines. Make sure you talk to someone at gar and ask for your money back and why before you contact the attorney general's office. You need to prove your efforts to work with great american readers first. Trust me it wasn't long before they were calling me multiple times to make sure i was telling the ag office that i was satisfied with how gar returned my money.

Great American Readers — great american readers

I spoke with someone who was very very rude saying he is the only who can help me with bringing down...

Great American Readersmagazines subscriptions, unethical behavior.

Back in July I ordered some magazines. They said I could pick from a list. However, there is nothing on the list I want. But, I can't cancel my subscriptions. I was late to cancel. I have my 80 year old parents to care for. I forgot. Now I am paying over $1, 000. for magazines I don't read and don't want. My name and info on the account is: Rita Gonzales, zip code, 90631, address: 401 S Colfax St, La Habra, CA. I put this on my Discover card and now can't stop this. Great American Readers is based in FL. Please stop this terrible company.

• Rf
                      rfgonzales19 Oct 27, 2015

$1000. for magazines and nothing I want to read. They told me I could pick magazines from a list. However, there is nothing on there I want to read.
                      These people need to be stopped. They will not allow me to cancel the subscriptions. I am just out of luck.

Great American Readersmagazine subscription I did not want

I received a call claiming I had won a free magazine subscription for four magazines and that I would be receiving a form in the mail to fill out on which magazines I would want. I made the mistake of giving them my debit card number ahead of time. I got the form but I never filled it out. I started receiving the magazines and they were ones I did not want. I called and told them I did not want them. They said they were bonuses and I would get them anyways. When I tried to cancel they told me I only had eight days to cancel and I was past that time but I had not agreed to start getting the magazines in the first place. They then called and said I owed a monthly payment of $49.50 for a few months. They then gave me the option to just pay the account in full. I agreed and that amount was about $730. After that a few weeks later they called and said I owe them another $1000. I am now expecting a child and cannot afford this and I didn't actually want the magazines in the first place. I was also to it would be free.

Readers Service (Great American Readers)inability to cancel magazine subscription

I was solicited over the phone for magazine subscription order. I was under the understanding thast if dissatisfied with the service
                      I could cancel. I have since made 3 payments and have received only single month's shipment of the magazine, which is not even
                      complete (i.e. wrong magazines were sent and not all magazines received). Also promised gift card which was not received. I
                      tried to cancel but was told I could not cancel and was obligated to pay all 20 subscriptions. The service agent I spoke to (phone number [protected]) said I could not cancel and I was obligated to pay even if I cancelled. I informed the service agent that the company's practices were deceptive and that I never heard of service that would not allow you to cancel your subscriptions. The service agent hung up on me.

• Ot
                          otown228 Jan 10, 2014

THis happened to me as well. I decided that I no longer wanted the magazines, there were just too many. And they would not allow me to cancel. I was willing to pay with the one month i recieved but they didn't even let me do that. they were SO RUDE and There has to be something done about this company. Do not fall for it. I also was supposed to get $250 worth of free online coupons and they never existed.