Grants for meScam

D

I applied for a government grant. Unfortunately I did so through a link on an e-mail about college money. It led me to a signup form for Grants for Me which I filled out. It took Grants for Me about a month to get back to me. I gave them my ATM debit card number over the phone so they could charge me for the shipping and handling of their government loan package. The cost was approximately $1.50. Later I received a call from another person who was from Grants for Me, and he asked to "confirm" certain information on my card and my address. He mentioned that I would be receiving e-mails about offers for other programs, but I did not expect to already be signed up for all of these programs. Some of them had already charged my checking account with "membership fees" even though I had never personally applied for membership.
In the end, I closed my ATM Debit card and now the bank is sending me a new one, but I'm not sure if that is going to stop the scam artists from pushing more fees through, so I am going to try and close all my bank accounts and open new ones.

• Wo
    working american Jun 02, 2009

Grants For Me, free trial turned into subscription. finally got thru to them and they claimed it was cancelled in Feb '09, still been getting charged thru different names. Your Amreican Grants, USA BEST GRANTS, and latest Easy Money for Me. Finallt got thru to the last number ater waiting on hold for ages. cancelled again by all three different names, same toll free number [protected]. they claimed it was never cancelled the first time or at least they werent contacted. hopefullly it was cancelled this time. the government needs to start investigating this and doing something about these scam, write a law or something unless they are getting a cut of their own? other phone numbers are [protected]; [protected]; [protected]

• Ms
    msprettE Sep 10, 2009

i had a similar experience with Grantmasters usa.com I cancelled within days and was still billed 39.95. They refused to give me my money back because they billed a month ahead. I was not told I had 7 days to cancel until I called them about charges on my card.
    Also I joined another USA Grants out of Colorado for 300.00. The process was to send them the 300.00 and I was guaranteed to get at least 10 to 30 thousand form the federal grant program. Well I received a packet containing government programs that I was already familiar with such Foodstamps, medicaid, section8 housing assistance program, and etc. They would not refund my money because they claim that I got a list of the programs that I was eligible for. THIS IS A TOTAL SCAM. Knowledge is powerful...ONLY AFTER YOU GET SCAMMED!!!

• Ms
    msprettE Sep 10, 2009

BE CAREFUL OF QUICK LOANS WITH QUICK CASH PLACES . THEY WILL BILL YOU 39.99 THEN 79.99. BEFORE YOUR ACCOUNT RECEIVES THE LOAN DEPOSIT. THEY ALWAYS STATE THAT WE DONT CHARGE A FEE BUT AFTER YOU CLICK SUBMIT THE PEN IS IN MOTION