Gold's Gymterrible experience

O Review updated:

I signed up my wife and myself for Gold's gym membership in January 2017. I worked out there with my wife for several months, before my work forced me to transfer out of the country. So, on August 2017, I canceled my membership at the location where I joined in Long Beach, CA. I was given a pink slip confirming my cancellation in writing.

I find out 3 months later after I've left the country that I'm still being billed. I called them to sort this out. They said to fax a copy of the original pink slip because they couldn't talk to the manager. I did, it didn't work.

I called again after I noticed they were still charging a couple of months later. I got in touch with a girl who said she would cancel as of this phone call. She even sent me an e-mail asking for a forwarding address as to where to send the refund check.

Now, again they're still charging me, even after this. So now I've been forced to tell the bank to stop all charges from them. I'm not sure of my legal options from here, however. Can I take them to court? They owe me back nearly 10 months of fraudulent billing.

•   Jun 11, 2008
    Gold's Gym - damaged my credit
    www.goldsgym.com

I notified Gold's Gym of my inability to continue my membership due to a disability, notification included a signed letter from my doctor. I spoke to the manager and the billing manager and complied with their request for a note from the doctor and neither one of them told me that what I requested was denied. The last time I spoke to the manager he simply said okay and hung up. They sent my bill to collections. I can afford to pay them and would have if I had known that I was denied. They have unfair business practices and are non-responsible to their member’s request. I spoke to the manager again and he says he will do nothing about the bill being in collections or the damage it is doing to my credit.

•   Jul 22, 2008
    Gold's Gym - their business practices were poor and unethical
    460 North 900 East
    Provo
    Utah
    goldsgym.com

I recently returned home to Texas for the summer, after living in Utah to attend college. I wanted to cancel my membership, so I called the gym I had a membership at and asked to have my account cancelled. They said that they couldn't cancel it there, but could give me the phone number for corporate headquarters, where, theoretically, I could cancel my account. When speaking to an employee at the corporate office, I asked what steps I would have to take to cancel my account. I was informed that there had to be a reason to cancel (such as moving- apparently just wanting to cancel a contract is not reason enough), and that if the reason was relocation, that I had to provide some kind of proof of relocation. This could be in the form of a lease agreement, a utility bill, a check stubb, or forwarded mail. My mail is not being forwarded to me, I am living in my parents' house, and therefore my name is not on the utility bill, nor do we have a lease agreement. I am currently employed as a private nanny, and recieve private checks. Thus I have no check stubb. When I explained my situation to the employee, I was informed that there was no other way for me to prove my relocation (they don't accept bank statements). When I replied that I needed to cancel, or I would have to pay for the next two years until the contract expired, she listed off (again) what proof of relocation they accepted, and said there was nothing else I could do. I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. I was informed that she was in a meeting, and was likely to be so all day. I asked if there was anyone I could speak to, in person, who was in some kind of management position. The answer was no, they were all in meetings. When I asked if they would be available tomorrow, and at what time, the answer was no. They offered to transfer me to the voicemail of the supervisor, although when she will listen to it and respond is beyond me, since apparently she is in meetings during all business hours. I left the message, but I would be shocked if my call were returned. Needless to say, the customer service was terrible, their business practices were poor and unethical, and I would never recommend them.

• T
      Jul 30, 2008

I totally agree. I moved 300 miles away from golds gym, and haven't even use the gym since last year in September, and Golds Gym is giving me a hard time cancelling. I have to pay the 100 dollars cancellation fee plus the month's fee which is around 56 dollars. So they still take money out of my account, and I haven't get a job to show proof that i live that far. GIVE ME A BREAK GOLD'S GYM!

• M
      Oct 10, 2008

You should file a Better Business Bureau complaint- it's free, and you can do it online.

• J
      Mar 23, 2009

I acquired a membership with Gold's that I had to give up when I was moving from Edmonton to Ottawa. I was never able to use this membership during the time that I lived in Edmonton as the start date for the gym opening was delayed. They told me, when I was considering signing up that it would be open in late September. Once I was signed up, it was a different story. Given that there is no location for this Company in Ottawa, I was required to either pay $200 to terminate or transfer to another person. I made the arrangements to transfer to another person, and this Company told me that everything was a go. I find that I am still being billed for my membership four months later. The location I have my membership with, as well as the regional office in Calgary, have both refused to return my calls. I will never consider another membership with Gold's. I have paid almost two hundred dollars thus far and was never able to use the membership. My suggestion to anyone considering a membership with them is to check the Better Business Bureau complaint history, and review web postings about the company. I think you will find strikingly similar anecdotes.

• A
      Jun 13, 2009

Don't you people have anything better to do than to waste your time coming on here and ### about something you signed?? Did they hold a gun to your head? Did they threaten you to "sign the contract"? NO! It's your fault if you were too stupid to read what you were signing or having the power to say no. Do you really think that by coming onto a complaint board your gonna stop people from going into a business or "put them out of business"? Of course not! All this website is, is a place to get a good chuckle in because human beings are stupid! So go spend your time being a good parent for your children or working instead of complaining about your own stupidity.

• B
      Jul 27, 2009
    Gold's Gym - terrible customer service
    Disc Dr
    Sparks
    Nevada

I joined Gold's Gym in February 2017 and was supposed to meet with a trainer the next week. I have a few medical issues, back surgery, hernia, and I didn't want to start without a trainer. The day before the meeting the trainer called and cancelled. I tried rescheduling numerous times, I even went in several times and was told there was no one available to meet with me. I finally gave up in April and went in and they wouldn't give me a form or anything to fill out to cancel my membership so i wrote out a letter cancelling it. In May, I was charged again on my bank account. I called and of course no one was able to speak with me so I went to my bank, they tried to call and they also called ABC Financial and no one at either place would talk to them. The bank then cancelled my account and reopened another one. They said they got a lot of complaints about Gold's Gym. I received a letter from ABC Financial dated July 24th 2017 and I called them again. They attempted (or so they said) to reach Gold's while I was on hold. They said they didn't get anywhere but I was still responsible for the payments that were due from June and if I didn't pay it would go on my credit report. I have filed complaints against ABC Financial and Gold's Gym. We'll see what happens next.

Aug 19, 2009
    Gold's Gym - billing
    Jacksonville
    Florida

Gold's gym was bought out by Just fitness 4 u Aug. 1st. JF4U offers their members a $10 and a $17.50 month to month only membership. What about us old gold members who pay way more than that? Are we now going to be only charged the $17.50 or $10? Probably not. I have sent 5 emails to 5 different addresses I can find online for JF4u. No one has responded.
    During their transition of names, Gold's never let any of us know what was going on. All the people could say at the counter was I dont know. All of a sudden they were remodeling the place. No more classes etc. No one knew anything?? GMAB. Every member I have spoke to says they had no idea what was going on, all they heard were people getting memberships for $10. Which of course were making people mad because they were paying more, including myself. GOLDS should have notified every one of their members and let them know of this transition and what was going on. They should have posted it everywhere in the GYM. There is no way this place can still charge the rest of us old gold memebers our higher fee and charge only $10 for new members to JF4u. They should change what we pay or let us cancel.

Aug 24, 2009

I'm going to go in the place and talk to them today. If I dont get what I want then I will be contacting Ken Amaro with the new station. Get him out there and see what happens!

• L
      Aug 28, 2009
    Gold's Gym - extremely awful company
    goldsgym.com

When someone asks me what is gym for, my simple answer would be a place where you can relax your mind and of course the atmosphere to be health around last and not the least is the cleanliness in the gym. I have joined this gym and have faced this problem I have seen that this gym does not pay much attention to the cleanliness, which is the most important part. On a couple occasions, I have seen people come in, work out on the elliptical machines and do not wipe down the equipment after they've used it and left it filthy/sweaty for the next person. Which I find not only a health code issue, which I feel is extremely wrong and it should be considered. I've seen people come in wearing high heeled shoes while working out on gym equipment, some people wearing work boots while working out... what happened to gym dress codes? Aren't gym members supposed to be dressed appropriately? I was very annoyed and told the instructor there to be strict enough in all this matter. He apologized and said this matter would be taken into consideration but it's been so many days I can not find any change in their system the same old people are working with the dirty boots and leaving dirt on the machine still the instructor is not bothered to tell them anything. I am very upset with this unhealthy atmosphere and therefore I am going to quit from this gym. Its an humble request never go to this unhealthy gym which has no norms and rules.

• D
      Aug 29, 2009

well i read what you had to say about golds gym and i have to agree, but its not the gym its the people that go to that gym with no regard for anyone else, and dont clean up after themselves wich is discusting. But what are they suppose to do kick them out? They should post up signs to inform people that it is very discusting and ignorant to not clean up after themselves. Especially with this swine flu going around! Think of how many would get infected. The other thing that i get vexed about is the social club atmosphere. When i go to the gym i go hard and if i c someone i know ill say hi or nod my head. And then theres the people who just talk awaywhile sitting o n equipment that somene is patiently waiting for. My girl friend quit going there due to this, and also she disliked the fact that the girls flaunt thier stuff and make bigger girls feel even more depressed. My girlfriend is in shape but some girls arnt as fortunate, and this one heavyset girl was crying in the girls change room and left cause other girls were laughung at her... i guess some people dont mature after high school kinda sad. The men are no better. Their is so much testosterone flying around i feel like when i leave the gym i loose a couple digits in my I.Q. But the number one thing that gets me every time is grunting when lifting... Need attention much or what? Look what i can do. give me a break! Im 235lb and can lift heavy weight but you will never see... Hear me grunt. Its ridiculouse.. Go stick another needle up you ### and grunt for attention. Anyways i like the equipment its just the people you have to deal with. if your concerned about clensliness just clean it then use it. Just keep an eye on your account, I use to pay in advance on several occasions cause i knew i was going to spend alot of money and didnt want to get an NSF, but they still dinged me with it and a late fee 4 times! And an NSF at the bank is $40 on its own so just be careful. But i still love the gym and i like this one compared to others. But is that a good enough reason to stay a member? Thats what you have to decide...

• J
      Mar 19, 2010

I've been battling with Gold's Gym in West Des Moines Iowa. I signed up and paid for a membership in Oct '09. I gave them my debit card info, and they automatically took my monthly fee until February 2017, when they charged me twice, but the 2nd charge didn't match anything they would have normally charged for. I called, and was put off for 3 weeks until finally their new accountant called and said that I wasn't even in their system, and she advised me to report fraud on my account since they weren't even getting my money. Said they had a rogue accountant before her, said that she was trying to get to the bottom of it, but I also talked to one of the owners, Dan, who was a complete meat head and even though he assured he'd take care of it, I'm now afraid that Gold's will come after me w/ collection. Especially after reading the nightmare stories online. Ugh. So now after having to have my debit card cancelled and reissued, I'm waiting to see what happens with my disputes. I also wrote to the attorney general, as well as the local BBB.

• B
      Jun 01, 2011
    Gold's Gym - lying and trying to make people insecure so that they will purchase
    Murray
    Utah

Gold's Gym is a scam! I went in for my free "personal training session" and quickly realized it wasn't personal training. It was someone uneducated trying to make me feel insecure about myself and my abilities so that I would book more personal training sessions. I work out 4 to 5 times per week and consider myself in great shape. She measured my BMI and told me that I was at extreme risk of obesity and generated a bad computer image of what I "look" like. She said that she could get me down to a size 2 even though I told her I work out to be healthy, not for size. I left feelign so bad about myself I went and had a REAL BMI test done and I am in the complete HEALTHY range. My second complaint is that when I signed my contract with them I told them I didn't know how long I would be living in SLC and they agreed to sign a paper agreeing that I could cancel at any time for ANY reason. When I tried to, they said that they would never allow that and that I would have to prove it by going to the corporate office with the paper. Thankfully I saved the paper and took it with me to the corporate office. When I got there they didn't want to let me inside and I had to hold the paper up to the window for the woman to read it. Finally she let me in and cancelled it. I DO NOT RECOMMEND GOLD'S GYM TO ANYONE!!!

• P
      Jul 18, 2011

I signed a 1 year contract with Gold's Gym. A couple of weeks before my membership was due to expire, I sent an email, asking if there was anything that I needed to do in order to ensure that my membership was complete and I would not be charged any further membership fees. No response.
    I emailed again a few days later. No response.
    I phoned the location directly. No answer.
    I emailed again. No response.
    I phoned again. No response.
    At this point, I was terribly frustrated and so I email the head office for Canada. NO RESPONSE.
    So I phoned the head office for Canada. They told me that they couldn't help me because the location that I was a member at was privately owned so everything had to be handled there.
    Meanwhile, I have been charged TWICE for membership dues in a time span of THREE DAYS. AFTER my membership was expired.
    I finally reached my location by phone and they told me that I had to send a registered letter with 31 days notice of the termination of my membership. I asked them to waive the 31 day period because I had been trying to get in contact with someone for over a month and she just said no. No discussion or apologies about it.
    I will never recommend Gold's Gym to anyone I know.

Jul 18, 2011

At no point and time did you think to walk into the gym and say I want cancel when my contract is up. Trust me you are not so busy nor is anything in your life that pressing that you could not go over to the gym and cancel or talk in person. Plus your contract specifically states how to terminate membership I guess if you were to lazy to read it or to stupid.

• W
      Sep 03, 2011

Not responding to e-mail or telephone messages is a clear indicator of a business's lack of interest in customer service. Golds Gym could have simply responded in a timely fashion outlining the cancellation policy and in good faith waived any additional fees. Sales Reps are very neglegent to assist in advising new members of a cancellation policy and many other vary undesirable features of the contract just to get your signature as fast as they can to meet the monthly quota and get commission. Pressure and rush is the standard practice for Golds Gym.
    Being to Lazy or Stupid is not the issue here, its a lack of professional, quality service from Golds Gym that is the issue.

• G
      Jan 10, 2012

I had an agreement with Golds Gym for the membership and 10 personal training sessions a month. They took my payment information and were supposed to take payments automatically. They didn't take on of my May payments even though the money was there. I called them numerous times and they just kept telling me it was paid. Then June came and again they didn't take one of my payments even though the money was there. I called and played phone tag again. They finally apologized. I explained I was having surgery in July and asked if they could move the 3 payments to the end and I would start in August again. They said ok. They then went in to my account unauthorized in July and took out 260 telling me it was my June payment plus late fees. I called and they claimed I never called them and were again claiming May was paid. I had to cancel my card to keep them out of my account. I am not required to pay them from 300 to 520 a month and they will not let me use their services until I am caught up. All the progress I had made with a trainer is gone so the money I paid them was wasted and due to their lies and system errors I know pay that 300 to 520 just to work out at the gym. DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY. IF YOU DO THEN EXPECT MONEY TO BE TAKEN OUT OF YOUR ACCOUNT AT WILL, CALLS MADE TO THEM NOT TO BE DOCUMENTED, NO ACCOUNTABILITY ON THEIR BEHALF, AND NO HELP IN COMING TO A RESOLUTION.

• A
      Oct 29, 2012

I am in the same situation as you are, but it's my mom. She has been injured while training with different personal trainers. I have resorted to calling KSL news and trying to get some closure with an investigation on an upcoming show.

• L
      Mar 26, 2013

Golds Gym is despicable I am outraged that I canceled in person with paperwork 3 months ago and still they are charging my bank account. I have tried to get in contact with managers at the gym to be told they are not here or in a meeting someone will call me back. No one calls back call again and get the same, gave me headquarters phone number to be on hold until HELL freezers over never got through. Talked to a manager yesterday said I would be credited back to my back account still nothing. I called today another manager to tell me it will be sent to me within 10 to 14 business days. This place should have legal action taken upon them and I am certainly prepared to do so . I have seen their poor scores on how they treat their customers and it is appalling something hasn't been done by now, how disgraceful and shameful this Company should be !!

Lee Harmon

Sep 21, 2013
    Gold's Gym - unauthorized pictures
    San Antonio
    Texas

WARNING! Gold's allows unauthorized pictures to be taken of clients and then distributed across their network. A picture of me working with my trainer was taken surreptitiously and then distributed by the Regional Fitness Manager with the caption "What's wrong with this picture?" (Supposedly my trainer wasn't positioned to catch me if I fell off the ball.)

I asked for an apology and removal of the pictures and received neither. I had to obtain an attorney to get a permanent injunction against use or distribution of the picture. Gold's insurance company reimbursed me for a portion of my legal expense, but still refuses to apologize. So be very careful! That person checking his cell phone may actually be an employee taking your picture.