Glenn AssociatesRude treatement & refusal to remove phone number from calling list

These people are out of control. Glenn Associates Collection Agency of Woburn MA have refused to provide basic info in writing about the nature of the debt they're attempting to collect. One agent in particular, Mark Roger, is especially rude, yelling and screaming and demanding payment over the phone and refusing to remove our numbers from their calling list. Only after threatening to report him to the Attorney General did he put me through to his supervisor, Glenn Misith, who finally took one of our phone numbers off their list but not the other. We've contacted them trying to figure out how much we owe and to whom and we've explained that we're willing to pay if they'll just put the amount and account number and their address in writing but it's impossible to get a word in edge wise with these people. We eventually figured out on our own what the debt was- Turns out we owe a few hundred bucks on an old student loan from 7 years ago to the state university - we called the university directly and a very nice lady verified the amount and the date. Somehow it got lost in the shuffle, we were completely unaware of it until the call from the relentless Mark Rogers of Glenn Associates. We're going to report the company to the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau. Somebody's got to put a stop to these people. I don't know how they're still in business.

• Dm
    DMcMahon Oct 02, 2018

Hmm, these responses are all very confusing to me, unless they've drastically changed their ways of communicating with people. I deal with G.A. in Woburn, MA and I owe on a medical bill. I was asked how much I could pay every month, I told them $100, they said that amount was fine. I get my 12 payment stubs in the mail at the beginning of every year, make my payments, and never hear a peep from them- by phone or by mail. The one time I called them to see what my balance was, I wasn't treated rudely or yelled at; they told me my balance and that was the end of the conversation. I'm sorry everyone else is having issues but I've never had a problem with them...maybe I'm just one of the fortunate ones.

pgm Oct 31, 2018

@DMcMahon Thank you for your comments. This is the level of service and respect we strive for. I would urge anyone that had or is having an experience not to their satisfaction to ask to speak with a supervisor.

• Rm
    RMC7467 Feb 17, 2016

I did speak to a supervisor, and they were just as rude. you people are evil, and in NO way should a medical bill cause this on someones' credit. you people have no idea of my financial status and the fact that we live week to week and I took a 30k cut in pay. As far as I'm concerned I'll make a small payment every month witch is what I told them and if its not enough well i'm sorry but its all i can afford. I did tell Glenn this, and it just wasn't enough, they basically said if i can't pay in full it was going on my credit. Thanks for that!!! bunch of cold hearted people, and I have NO idea how you do what you do and like it. Enough said!!!

pgm Feb 17, 2016

RMC7467, since I am unable to identify who you are by your screen name, I am unable to specifically address your case. However, our policy is to give a grace period of at least 60 days from the time the account is assigned to us before we report the account to the credit bureau. We do not purchase debt so we collect on behalf of our clients and report on behalf of our clients. If an account is paid in full prior to the time it is due to be reported to the credit bureau, we do NOT report it. However, if there is a balance due, the account is reported. Once the account is reported, we are not allowed to bargain payment for removal under the rules of the credit bureau. I would certainly urge you to contact our office and ask to speak with a supervisor if you are unhappy with the representative you spoke with.

• Rm
    RMC7467 Nov 04, 2015

Same issue here, I have some medical bills that I've tried to work with them on as well as the hospital. They are rude and saying they will report to the credit bureau. Will not work with me what so ever, I did fly off the handle but only because they were basically saying to me its your tough luck. Horrible people.

pgm Jun 11, 2014

Jargon123, since i don't know your true identity, I have no way to research your complaint. I am Bill O'Briens supervisor and sit behind him. He has worked for me for nearly 20 years and I have NEVER heard him threaten or yell at anyone. In addition, the voicemails he leaves are all scripted and there is nothing threatening about the message. Having said that, I would ask that you contact our office and ask to speak to a supervisor to identify yourself. I would very much like to listen to the recordings of your conversations adnd the messages that were left.

Jargon123 Oct 30, 2013

I owe Glenn associates around 2800 dollars for a student debt I had the representative that contacted me was Bill obrien. This man demanded I pay the amount in full and that my credit score would plummet and that I would have a hard time getting a job a house and a car in the future. After talking with my school the accounts rep there helped me to set up payments for 200 dollars a month. After 7 months of paying my debt I was going to be a little late on the 8 th month bill obrien constantly kept calling my house and leaving rude harassing voicemails. When I talked to him he continually cut me off in mid sentence and would threaten me. This man is a parasite to hard working Americans and makes me sick to my stomach. He yells at me and is very arrogant and demeaning. He is not people smart and has no vocabualry and constantly repeats himself in a louder and more a**holish voice every time.

• Ky
    kymomma Sep 25, 2013

these people contacted my work and would not tell me who they were, the guy was yelling at me calling me by a different name. I am not from Mass. and I never went to college so I have no student loans based on all these posts it seems they deal with mainly student loans... I am in the process of paying off everything that is listed on my credit report which isn't alot and this company is not listed nor have I received anything in the mail.. I will be calling my state Atty General and advising of this harrassment on behalf of this company. Also when I asked for the guys name and company he was calling about he hung up on me!

• Ht
    H. Tran Mar 07, 2013

FYI. If you're planning to call this agency I would recommend speaking with someone with this extension. X133. She was kind and understanding. Mr. O'brien was rude to me and because I chose not to speak to him, I completely feel satisfied with customer's service at Glen associates.

• Hu
    HunZ Mar 07, 2013

I am also dealing with the same problem as everyone else here with this company. I must admit, I work on commission and I personally thought I was going to get a nice check to pay off my student loan. Yesterday, a man called me to inform me that I lied and he will report me to the state that I'm a liar. He kept trying to make me feel guilty by telling me, "hey it's the State's money you owe, not mine and my credit is not being affected like yours." I told the person I can only make a $300/mo payment as of January and yet he told me that was still unacceptable because I have to pay the full amount or else he will report to the state that I'm a liar. This agent is very unprofessional and rude! He refuses to tell me other options to how I can pay for my loan other than pay in full. Whoever I spoke to should not be working, I am currently in the process of reporting this person to the Attorney General for what I personally feel is harassment.

pgm Nov 16, 2012

Ms Louis - I was not able to locate your account based on the name you provided. I would urge you to contact our office and ask to speak with a manager if you felt you were dealt with unfairly. That being said, under the terms of any promissory note, you are required to provide a change of address. The fact that your old address is still on file is not an excuse for non-payment.
    Since your account was placed with us, the entire amount must be in default and therefore the balance is due in full. Please contact our office. We are certainly willing to try to work out an arrangement that will work for all parties involved.

marcia louis Oct 29, 2012

i have had the same experiance with this company. He calls me while at work about a state loan that i still owed and this jerk was saying " they want there money back"!...yelling at me. i had consolidated all my loans and i assumed that my state loan was also taken care of. Also i later found out that they had my old address so i never recieved letters in the mail. i want to get this taken care but this company or this guy needs to be followed and examined for how they go about collecting debt. There was no flexibility, customer service was very poor and i will report them.

• Us
    USA3RDWORLD May 17, 2012

That is correct about the Tax Intercept process. But regardless: If you let telemarketers bother you (Any slimebag who puts on a pair of khakis and listens to Newt Gingrich on the way in to their big "Admin" job) than shame on you. Don't tell these people anything when they call you. If they ask your name, lie. If they threaten you, challenge them to a fistfight. If they yell at you, talk sexy about watersnakes and vasoline. Poor people harassing other poor people, they don't make them any lower. And you always have the option to contact the American Civil Liberties Union to point you in the right direction for free legal advice. The Attorney General doesn't give a F***

pgm Apr 27, 2012

JRosa..While I understand your frustration that after having paid your balance, your tax refund was still taken. Please understand that when you made your payment, the funds were deposited directly into the account for the board of higher education. They were made aware of the payment that same day. The Commonwealth of Mass runs the state intercept program and we have no control in any way, shape or form, over whose taxes are taken, how much and when. If you have not been able to obtain your refund yet, i would ask that you contact our office so that we may try to put you in touch with someone that can assist you.

• Jr
    JRosa Feb 10, 2012

I also have dealt with this stupid company to pay off a student loan debt which I was unaware off, about 5 years later is when they say I am in collection and they are trying to have me repay it. So I just repaid it before my taxes and guess what, I still, weeks later, have the IRS take my state check stating I didnt pay off the money I owed to the board of higher education. I am so upset and angry. I am not working and i had to borrow money to pay off that debt and still because of Glenn Associates I get my money taken away. I cant stand them, worst collection agency ever, and Mark Rogers is an a-hole! He made me feel like crap, yelled at me, and said he didnt give two sugars that I didnt have a way of paying at the current moment... Ugh! Now, here I am trying to fight back and get my taxes money back to me...

• Ad
    ADurante40 Jul 06, 2011

Glenn and Associates is a collection agency that uses the worst tactics in order to collect a debt. They are basically money hungry people who have little regard for the person they are calling. I have dealt with them for years and I am laughing to myself that people are actually posting remarks on their behalf. How much money do desperate low lives have to pay in order to receive positive feedback on a website that was created for truth? The power of social networking is real and will make a difference one day especially with this company.

If you are being contacted by them please do your best to pay the debt quickly. Human dignity and honesty are two traits that this company does not care for or honor in their corporate charter.

I give them the worst possible rating! I made this comment for free! I feel better now!

• Ju
    jumbo123 May 22, 2011

Glen Associates is deplorable institution, and exemplary of the kinds of problems that exist in the healthcare industry. Charged with collecting an apparently delinquent hospital fee, I received several harassing phone calls from one Linda Church, informing me that she was attempting to collect a debt from me. When I asked her what debts were due, she refused to explain them, or provide me with an itemized breakdown of what was delinquent, despite the fact that I have two different health insurance coverages. After 3 harassing phone calls, with no instructions as to how to resolve the issue I finally took charge and quite clearly asked Ms. Church, "So what do you want from me?" Rather than speaking to me like a civilized person, Ms. Church began violently screaming at me, swearing, as she told that she simply wanted me to pay my bill. The problem in this situation is that my delinquency had not resulted from a refusal or inability to pay the bill (I'm a university student, and my parents are highly successful investors and executives with ample means to pay hospital bills) but rather a breakdown on the part of the insurance company, over which I have absolutely zero control. Rather than facilitate the process of actually recovering the fees which the insurance company had mysteriously not paid, Glen Associates and Ms. Church used their role in the process as a chance to engage in unacceptably rude threatening and badgering behavior, rather than executing their true responsibility of collecting the debt. My interaction with Ms. Church and Glen Associates was decidedly negative, and expository of the predatory practices in which this company engages. The debt has been paid after I was forced to call the hospital administration system, the insurance company, and the hospital itself in order determine where the chain of communication had broken down, and finding out what I actually needed to do in terms paying, no thanks to the questionably stable Linda Church, nor to Glen Associates.

• Au
    audsti Apr 13, 2011

these people are flat out just jerks. the person who called me originally came on the phone with attitude. i asked for some kind of payment plan (being 20 years old and not making enough to even file taxes) and was given a lecture that my bill was past due and it was time to pay up. he began to argue with me when i told him he obviously wasnt interested in customer service and when he got me so upset i swore, his reply was "oh now your true colors come out" . im not sure if this Bill Obrien had other issues in his life but he certainly did not remain professional. on the other hand i did call back and asked to speak to a supervisor. i was able to speak with the manger, Frank Peters, who was more than helpful and was understanding to my situation. he was quite willing to work out a simple payment plan and everything was taken care of within 5 minutes. if the first guy had just a little more respect, he would have found out i could pay half the bill down this week. just goes to show, listen and wait before jumping down someones throat and also, always get a name! that way you know who to deal with next time to get your situation taken care of. i know i am reporting them to the Better Business Bureau!

pgm Mar 16, 2011

Mayzi11. Thank you for your kind comments. As an organization, Glenn Associates strives to achieve a positive experience with all of our customers and clients. As for the letter--since you're son's account was placed with us for collection, it stays in a default status until paid in full. And since the money is owed to the state of Massachusetts, we have no control over whether or not they take your son's state tax refund. The letter explained to avoid having the taxes taken, to contact our office to discuss your options. The letter was intended to be informative.

Mayzi11 Feb 23, 2011

I have been making payments to this company for 1 year and use their automated payment process. The person that I have delt with has been extremly cooperative. However, after making my payment faithfully for the 12 month period and at the end of 2010 having only a 130.00 balance, I got a very nasty letter in the mail starting off with since my account was deliquent (which I wasnt as I paid faithfully each month) the college where my sons loan was was going to attached his refund if any for the balance. My jan payment was made with a balance of $70.00 and I just made the final 2 payments (one for this month and scheduled the final one for next month online). Other than this letter, which was entirely wrong they havent been rude.

pgm Oct 25, 2010

h3llxonxheels...Glenn Associates does not condone any of the type of behavior you are describing. However, after researching the matter it seems you have left out some very relavent information. We called you on your cell phone. Not your work phone. We had no way of knowing you were at work. Also, we did not leave a message. You chose to call us back, based on the caller id, while you were at work. Had you told Mr Rogers you were at work and could not discuss the matter, he would have gladly worked out another time to discuss the matter. You agreed to pay the balance by the end of November. Why would Mr Rogers then say anything you have alleged given the fact that he accomplished his job? It doesn't make any sense. Then, apparently while still at work and not able to discuss the matter, you continued to call the office repeatedly. Based on our phone records, at least 6 times in a 20 minute period. You finally left a message for a supervisor to call you back. The supervisor did call you back at 9:45am the very next day.

• H3
    h3llxonxheels Oct 18, 2010

I received a phone call today from the same representative Mark Rogers. He was incredibly rude; yelling and screaming like a lunatic demanding payment over the phone while I was at work. I told him the payment will be in full by next month and he continued to scream and told me he was telling the school that I refused to pay them anything ever and he hung up. I will be reporting him to the attorney general. With so many complaints against this particular representative he should be fired.

• Bl
    bluemerle0906 Jul 06, 2010

Glen Associates is a very rude company.
    I finally spoke to someone after getting automated voices and elevator music every time I picked up.

This is definitely a debt collector. I have a bill that was apparently sent to them from an account that *I* closed myself and that had a zero balance when I closed it. I have not received anything in the mail as of yet from this company and when I finally spoke to someone it is because they had the complete wrong number on it.

They are rude and take everything you say and "update your account" with only half of what you say. I will be reporting this company every where that I can. Had I received anything in the mail from them I would have been able to respond to not only them but sent proof that I dont owe on this account... But instead they started off the phone call with how can we set up payment. I said I would need proof in the mail that this is who they are because I dont want to set up a payment with a company that has had no other contact with me. I requested he mail me a letter that he is legally allowed to mail, and the man said "Ok so I will update your account with you refuse to pay". I said I didnt say that I want a letter showing who you are and exactly what account I apparently owe on. Come to find out maybe he shouldnt have had such an attitude because they didnt even have the right number.
    Little do they know I had it recording once I found out who it was, and they did handle my phone call illegally.

Guess what Glen Associates ... big words dont scare me because I know what they mean and I know what you can legally do. Why don't you stop talking to everyone like they are low life [censor] and actually handle people with respect until they give you a reason not to.
    OH and before you start saying that I should have already heard from them, why dont you make sure you have the correct information on someone. OK? THANKS! Learn to be civil and maybe you'd actually get more money and have a better day at work.

• Ta
    Taxachusetts Apr 20, 2010

I am in the process of dealing with this company right now for the same reason. They are insulting and will not work with you.What really bothers me is how they use the "State of Massachusetts". "The State of Massachusetts isn't interested in giving interest free loans", "The State of Massachusetts isn't intersted in giving out a free education", "The State of Massachusetts wants to be paid". I didn't realize the voice of a lowlife debt collector was the voice Massachusetts.

JamesYoung Mar 30, 2010

I have had the exact same problem with the exact company and the exact representative. He yells and screams and is rude as all hell for no reason. For me it was also for a student loan that I didn't even know about. I immediately started paying, and haven't missed a payment since, and STILL he calls and is incredibly rude. I just don't answer him any longer.

I am happy to say I about to pay this loan off in full and remove him from my life but please let me know if progress is ever made in taking a ### on this guy or GA in general.

• Ex
    exie Jun 14, 2009

I would also advice you to follow up again with the University. One to make sure the payment posted in full, and two to complain vigorously about the treatment you received from THEIR 3rd party. I would tell them that you are going to complain to the AG as well.

These complaints are typically taken very seriously by the creditor, especially this type of business. Alot of huge international companies? forgetaboutit...