GE Extended WarrantyAwful customer service

C

GE extended warranty service has caused us nothing but headaches every time we call them. They answer on the first ring when you want to purchase a contract, but put you on hold for 30 minutes when you need service! They act as the middle man and then you have to deal with the actual repair company, who almost never works Saturdays or evenings! You have to lose a day's pay and usually have to wait a couple weeks to schedule. They treat these contract customers like second rate citizens! Why--because they can & nobody can do a thing about it but get so frustrated that you call a different repair person. Nobody can wait 2 weeks for most appliance repair jobs.

This month, my GE dishwasher was recalled because of a fire hazard problem. The guy actually showed up & did the work but now I have no water pressure in my kitchen faucets. He was a sub-contractor and the only number I can call is the "Recall" number and they can't help me or even tell me who it was that did the repair.

I called again this month because the line to my Amana ice maker sprung a leak. The middle man at GE said it was all set & I took off work and jumped out of bed at 7:00 AM because the window of time was 7-5. The repair company called at 10 AM & said they weren't coming out because the part I need is on backorder and has been for months. GE promised to compensate us, but never did.

Beware of this Extended Warranty company. They don't deliver service and their customer service is non-existent!

• Tk
    T. Kwan Mar 21, 2007

I got a GE washer and have extended warranty on it. I noticed water leak and turned off the water outlets and asked GE to send a service guy to fix it. The service guy came and told me there's nothing wrong and told me that he would only replace the plastic tub cover. He replaced the plastic cover, tightened the water outlets and turn on the water outlets. The water started to leak again around midnight. I waked up in the morning and my house was flooded. My insurance guy came and tole me it will take around $10000 to replace all the wood floors. I called the GE and GE told me that what the service guy replaced would not cause or affect water leak and refused to pay a single dime. It is funny to see that I called for water leak repair, the guy came to replace a part which would not fix the water leak. I still have the service records from them... total 3 service record, all within 1 week. 1st record - problem water leak, job performed Tub Cover. 2nd record - problem water leak, job performed Tub Cover. 3rd record - problem water floor. The service guy replaced or did does not cure the problem of water leak and actually caused water flood. Well, again, GE refused to pay a single dime. Here are some advises, do not buy GE products or use their extended warranty. If their service guy comes to fix the product, use a cam to record every move, and review service record before let him leave. My service guy refused to give me a service record. I have to asked the GE service dept to mail me service records.

• Lm
    lmedici Apr 20, 2010

We used to have GE extended warranties for all our appliances. It used to be a good value. I even got a dead fridge replaced for shipping costs. Then, recently, I needed a repair, and found out I could no longer schedule it online, but had to call an 800 number and talk to someone not in this country. The next repair I had (OK, I confess, I will never buy another GE appliance, but I am keeping the ones I have till they die), the man in the other country (someplace where they speak Spanish) told me he could not find my contract, they would put a work order on it, and to call back in 48 hours. Well, I had paid for the warranty, I wanted the repair, my appliance was broken, but I couldn’t get any service. And, of course, they never called back. Eventually I got a supervisor, after days of calling. The supervisor said they had my warranty, but there were no providers in my area. I still naively thought I was with GE, and I knew there were many GE service people in my area -- I live in DC metro, so to tell me there are no providers in my area is beyond ridiculous. I got the “call back in 48 hours” routine from them, at which point I pressed a little harder, and found out that they were no longer GE, but another company entirely, who had decided to cut their costs and NOT use high quality technicians, but whatever cheap contract labor they could find. They promised to get back to me, but before they had called me back some 6 days later, I had gotten in touch with GE, got a GE technician out, who immediately fixed the appliance. Then I began the long, hard journey of trying to get a refund on all my extended warranties (I had 5). Although I had two months on 4 of them and 6 months on one of them, my eventual refund, after hours of phone calls and several letters and e-mails, was about $10.60. When I called, they told me that was because I had actually used the warranty services several times for service calls! GE tells me that when they sold their warranty services to Assurant, they assumed that Assurant would continue using their technicians. Well, like they say, to ###-ume makes an ### out of u and me. To make it even more flagrant, I continued to get warranty sales pitches from these people in the mail, claiming it was GE warranty protection, with GE service, that would give me peace of mind. There was no fine print telling me that this was NOT GE service. I have kept these notices and all my correspondence, but it only makes me angry. They took my money, and they cheated me. I am NEVER buying a GE appliance again, and I am NEVER buying warranty service because it can apparently be sold at the drop of a hat to people who are not in your area (let alone the USA), who have no clue about what is going on, who are paid to read from a script they really don’t understand. I live within 15 miles of the nation’s capital, millions of people around us, and these folks in some country hundreds of miles away tell me there are no service providers in my area and I need to wait 48 hours before they can find someone? And I get someone 5 minutes later on my own, paying real dollars? Give me a break. DO NOT TRUST GE WARRANTIES!!! The whole thing is a scam!!!