Garvins Sewer Service IncTrip Charge for no service

I booked an appointment to have my main sewer pipes cleared and was not having an issue with them but was told by an insurance adjustor that this needed to routinely be done in my house to prevent root penetration by my trees. When I called Garvins the girl on the phone I told her I was not having issues but the insurance guy told me to have my pipes cleared as a maintenance thing for my home. She told me how much it would cost and set up the appointment. When the technician got there the next day the first thing he asked me was when my house was built and I told him 1999 and he said I had plastic piping and didn't need the service. It took minutes to determine this was in fact the case and he charged me a $74 trip charge for telling me I didn't need anything done. The girl on the phone who booked the appointment could have easily determined the same thing! Instead she booked the appointment and I was charged for nothing! I asked the technician why the girl on the phone didn't tell me this and save me the money and he said she was trying to make a sale! When I called the office the next day to tell them I felt this was dishonest they said they were sorry I felt that way but there was nothing they could do about it. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY! They do not investigate the situation and then you pay whether you need the service or not!! I could have understood covering the gas they wasted and even the time he took to come to my home but $25 would have more than covered that. When I called the office the man on the phone even admitted that the girl should have told me that I would be charged the trip fee whether or not the service was preformed. She did not tell me this!

johnneilson Sep 12, 2012

To be perfectly honest with you, your insurance company is the real scammer here, not some lady who answers phones at a plumbing company, shes not a plumber, all she did was set the appointment with you. The Plumber who showed up on your door step was the honest 1, he didn't have to be, he could have just snaked the sewer, charged you alot of money to do it, and say to you before he left, "see you next year". The insurance company is the "thief" telling you that your ; basically new home, with PVC sewer pipe, needs cleaned every year. You should find a local, licensed plumber that you feel good with, that will give you good advice, and back up his work. Good Luck to you, by the way, if the insurance company guy tells you your electicity need serviced regullarly, hes full of ###!

• Ad
    Adele Gregersen Sep 12, 2012

Ya and I sent him a "Thanks a LOT" and didn't hear a word back from the insurance guy. Big surprise. Although I see your point I still think the people on the phone need to determine if the person calling has a new home that needs the service especially when I told her someone recommended I get it done and I didn't know if I needed it done or not. I told her the entire story, that the insurance guy looked at my tree in the front yard and said I needed to make sure my pipes were safe and the service tech admitted that the girl on the phone who makes appointments wanted a "sale" so she didn't screen calls well. THAT is what really ticked me off. The service guy was honest but that woman answering their phone was NOT. She got her "sale" but I will NEVER recommend these guys and or use them in the future. They also know what they did because I called and told them and THEY DON'T CARE! Good riddens. There are plenty of good plumbers out there who won't soak you.