Garden City Groupcharges to credit card without permission

I was sent this text below and never gave permission for inital charges. Links do not work. Telephone number loops to redirect to website with links that do not work.

____

YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM A CLAIMS PROCESS. PLEASE READ.

You are being contacted by The Garden City Group, Inc., a third-party administrator for Webloyalty.com, Inc., regarding your membership(s) in one or more of the following membership programs: Reservation Rewards, Shopper Discounts & Rewards, Complete Savings, Travel Values Plus or Wallet Shield (the “Programs”). Below is your membership information:

Billing Contact’s Name: KATHLEEN BENEDETTI-FISHER
Billing Contact’s Address: 80 BELCODA ROAD
SCOTTSVILLE NY 14546

The $12 per month membership fee for this membership is currently billed to your credit or debit card.

If you wish to cancel your membership, please follow the instructions for completing a Cancel Request Form on www.WebMarketingClaims.com. If you decide to cancel your benefits, you may also be entitled to a refund of the membership fees paid if you complete and file a Refund Claim Form, postmarked no later than January 29, 2010. Instructions on how to receive refunds can be found at www.WebMarketingClaims.com or by calling [protected].

Please do not reply to this email. We are unable to respond to inquiries sent in response to this email.

• Ce
    cecille81 Nov 11, 2009

I got this exact e-mail today and I don't know how to get in touch with them regarding the charges. I never signed up for a membership with their group. I never received anything from them in the mail (they got my mailing address wrong) so I don't even know what my membership i.d. is or which credit card of mine they have on record and are planning to charge. Is this a scam? Should I be worried?

• Ke
    kent2 Nov 11, 2009

I recieved the same e-mail today and did not know that I had ever authorized charging my account for whatever this is and don't know what triggered it. A check of my account statements shows that I have had my account charged since June. Does anyone know if Web Marketing Claims Administration and The Garden ity Group, Inc are legitamate organizations?

• Ca
    Carolus Nov 11, 2009

I called my credit card company, who managed to get through to the company. Apparently, I signed up after making an order from PizzaHut.com, which does have a confusing interface to show the order is made. I might have confused an ad with order info. Anyhow, I managed to get six of nine months refunded to my credit card, and did get sent an e-mail telling me how to get the rest refunded, though it told me that there was no way I could have not signed up because I entered my e-mail address twice. I told the rep that I would be contacting my state Attorney General, and still plan on doing so.

But yes, your credit card was charged. Many times, quite possibly.

• In
    ingsta Nov 12, 2009

I have also received such an email but mine was different...

THIS IS NOT A SOLICITATION FROM A LAWYER OR FROM WEBLOYALTY.COM, INC. TO PURCHASE ANYTHING. YOU MAY BENEFIT FROM A CLAIMS PROCESS. PLEASE READ.

You are being contacted by The Garden City Group, Inc., a third-party administrator for Webloyalty.com, Inc., regarding your membership(s) in one or more of the following membership programs: Reservation Rewards, Shopper Discounts & Rewards, Complete Savings, Travel Values Plus or Wallet Shield (the “Programs”). Webloyalty’s records indicate that you recently cancelled your membership in one of these Programs. Here is a confirmation of your cancelled membership information:
    Billing Contact’s Name: (personally deleted)
    Billing Contact’s Address: (personally deleted)
    You may be entitled to a refund of membership fees paid if you complete and file a Refund Claim Form, postmarked no later than January 29, 2010. Instructions on how to receive refunds can be found at www.WebMarketingClaims.com or by calling [protected].

I actually filled out a Refund Claim Form and sent it through email because I used to be a member of Reservation Rewards but didn't know there was a monthly fee. I canceled my membership and was refunded the last month only. So, after filling out this Refund Claim form I thought I would be able to get a chance at getting my money back for the other months with Reservation Rewards.
    I was looking around if anyone knew if this company was legitimate and I found this thread. Is this a scam? and will my sent Form result in hidden fees as well??? :(

• Mu
    musiyeni Nov 12, 2009

I got the exact email today inviting me to file a claim to have my money paid back. I unkowingly had signed up for Reservation Rewards through pizzahut.com a while back but cancelled it after two months and they never reimbursed me anything.

My advice is to just ignore the invitation because in the process of filing the claim, they'll also request your credit card information and chances are they'll bill you and you'll have to go through the same process of cancelling again, and then they'll send another invitation to claim back your money...in the process they'll be making money on you since they know most people don't care that much about claiming back $12. It's all hidden somewhere in their fineprint, that's probably why they're still in business despite the several complaints raised against them.

I wasted no time and just deleted the message.

• St
    Stefanie N. Nov 17, 2009

I received the same email today and am very worried where they got my information from. I filled out the claim form but refuse to give them my credit card information. As everyone else before, I have tried to call and its just a maze of menus to go through. I am pretty sure its a scam.

• Li
    Linda Meckle Dec 17, 2009

I recieved a postcard in the matter of being charged to my debt card and unable to reach them. I order one thing from the internet and was not aware that I had to join and be charged monthly fees. Would like my money back ASAP, again unable to reach the company. L Meckl

• Li
    Linda Meckle Dec 17, 2009

Please refund all funds that was recieved and all hidden fees and remove me off all of your accounts. Unable to reach company.

Crazykatiequinn Dec 17, 2009

My mother had recieved this postcard. Stating that they, whoever they are and what there business really is, that there taking $12 a month off her credit card. She nevers even goes on the computer, because she doenst know what to do or even how to get on the internet. Let alone fill out an application that they claim she did. Her credit card was used once on the computer by me, her daughter, when she was peresent. I know i didnt fill out anything with this companys name on it. This sounds like a scam, it is a scam. nThey claim that we authorized this. Why wont they answer there phones, i9nstead its a computer talkin a bunch of nonsense.Trust me i will get to the bottom of this and get back every penny these jerkoffs stole from my mother. I dont even know what this fake company ios trying to sell. I will do everything in my power to get to the bottom of this.And anyone who is willing to help me, i would greatly appreciate it and need it. My email [email protected] me a message if you can help or know any other info that could help me.

Crazykatiequinn Dec 17, 2009

My email is [email protected] NOTcrazy8kate...if anyone can give me more info about this or how they get your card number. Honestly this has to be a scam. Why would they take money off her card and for what. Im still tryin to figure out why and what for.This is not right and i am goping to do everything in my power to figure this out. And again if anyone can help, i have a feeling im gonna need all i can get.

Crazykatiequinn Dec 17, 2009

I just went to another page with info on who the administrator ans techinal contact was, i got an email which is [email protected] And what a shocker, no page exist. This is definately a scam and i try to figure out who, what, and where this is coming from, but i get nothing. Numbers disconnected webpages that dont exist. This is horrible. A company that doesnt exist or have a sole purpose but is charging people outragous amounts of money for nothing. The benefits they refer to, what benefits, the only person who is benefiting from any of this, is the person who is stealing all these innocents peoples hard working earned money. I would love to kick this persons ### after i get my mothers money back. Every single cent. And believe i will do everything in my power to do so. Your free ride will come to an end.

• Ro
    rolando hurtado Dec 28, 2009

m.y name is rolando hurtado Iam very upset because i dint even sign for this membership until i call my bank i keep calling to cancelled and i dont get any responseal

• Da
    dahduhdah Dec 28, 2009

Garden City Group is a scam and has bought your information from other sources that have illegally given them your information. It is very difficult to find out the company that originally sold your information and efforts to find the company and bring repercussion to the company are usually in vain. It is legal for companies to sell other companies your mailing information and your name (when you unknowingly accept terms and fees that are 100, 000 words long), but it is not legal for them to sell or give out your credit card information. That said, this is what I did after receiving an e-mail from them:

I first went to the website to see if I could cancel the membership over the phone instead of by mail or fax. I called the number on the website and the woman on the phone told me that she could not cancel the account because she worked for a third party organization and was not able to access the account. This was after she asked for my account information and looked it up in her system. Which means, that she was either adding me to their records for additional spamming, or that she was lying about having access. I told her that I was recording the telephone call and that if she saved any of my information in her computer, she must delete it or I will file a complaint with the FBI because I am on the Do-not-call list and it is illegal for her company to spam me because they were in her words "a third party" and not the company that I was already doing "business" with.

Next, I e-mailed the company back saying that I refuse to fill out their form because I never signed up for their so called "services." The company just sent me back an e-mail saying I needed to fax or mail them the form with an attached file of it. I did not open the file. If you receive any attached document from them it may have hacking software to retrieve personal information from your computer. The document on the site may also, but it is less likely considering it is exponentially more public than an e-mail. My reply to this e-mail was that I was filing a complaint to the BBB and possibly to the IC3 and if I decide to fill out their form, I hope they enjoy when I sign it "[censored] you."

Now, the BBB got involved. I filed a complaint telling them what happened. Garden City Group sent them a message saying that they told me I could cancel my membership and have given me proper notice to do so. This wasn't even related to what I wanted as a solution. I don't want a refund because they haven't stolen my money yet. I told the BBB that I want them to delete my information from their files because they illegally obtained my information. In the end, the BBB did nothing because they are a private organization. Companies pay the BBB for membership and in order to receive an A+ rating which GCG has, they have to pay a premium membership fee. Like most people, I thought that the BBB was associated with the government or something and had actual legal authority or pull like it portrays itself as, but it does not. The BBB is an organization that solely makes money by deceiving consumers and aiding companies to seem trustworthy when in fact the BBB's is a fraudulent system.

We have come to the present in my story and here I am doing this step: warning other people about this company. I am about to file a complaint with the IC3, which is internet crime complaints which has a partnership with the FBI, the National White Collar Crime Center and Bureau of Justice Assistance. I encourage every single one of you to do the same. the more people file complaints, the more likely this company will be investigated by organizations with actual authorities, like the FBI and the IRS.

What I recommend to those who do not want to be charged or need a refund from this company is to first send them the cancellation form they request, but give them false information and use a fake signature. It is likely that this company is using these forms to steal the identities of their victims, so under no situation give them your real signature or date of birth (they may already have your date of birth, but let's not guarantee it). On the form right in that they must delete all of your information from their files, that you are on the do-not-call-list (if you aren't already, you should join) and now that you are no longer their "customer" they can no longer obtain your information. Tell them that it is illegal for them to contact you and to give or sell your information to another party. Inform them that you are filing a complaint with the IC3.

If you wish to take it a step further, file a complaint with the BBB. they will be completely unhelpful, but if you do this before filing your complaint with the IC3, maybe we can take out those scammers as well.

• Qu
    quetzal Jan 09, 2010

DeepDiscount.com sold my info !!! Do not shop!!!

• Iv
    Ivonia Raymond Jan 29, 2010

My name is Ivonia Raymond I am please asking you to refund my money ffrom my credit card. Your product looks good when you I see it, but I have allergies when I use it I do not see any form to fill in . but I posted my command, please do not forget to send me back my money.

• Iv
    Ivonia Raymond Jan 29, 2010

Thank you God bless you, I am looking forward about you.

• Cn
    cncrndctzn Mar 01, 2010

If you guys would actually do some research and go to the Garden City Group's website, you'd realize that they are a legal administration company. They are hired by law firms and appointed by courts to administer class action and bankruptcy cases brought against companies that WILL rip you off. This is completely legitimate and once the legal process has run its course in the class action proceedings, you may very well get your money back IF you filed your claim. I'd recommend filing the claim even though the date to file has probably passed. Many class actions will allow late filing. So, in short, don't be so paranoid. It isn't a scam. The scam was the pizzahut.com pop-up. This is just a case being brought AGAINST webloyalty, overseen by a judge, and administered by the Garden City Group.

• Ca
    capol Mar 16, 2010

I got a NOTICE OF INCOMPLETE REFUND CLAIM FORM in the mail last week and I don't know how to fill out this form with them regarding the charges. I never signed up for a membership with their group. I never received anything from them in the mail except this NOTICE, so I don't even know what my membership i.d. is or which credit card of mine they have on record and are planning to charge. I do have a Claim No. they sent on the NOTICE, but have this last week been trying to remember anything I have done or signed up for in the past and keep on coming up empty handed. I have researched all my documents and cards and cannot find any links. Could this possibly be YEARS OLD? Something way in the distant past and now the Garden City Group is trying to resurrect it to place more charges on my credit card? I am absolutely lost here, and do not know how to proceed.

• Jt
    jtarheel May 17, 2010

I got a check from WebMarketing Claims Administration c/o The Garden City Group, Inc. in the amount of $24. My guess is, if I deposit it into my account, then they have that information and start making charges to that.

• Te
    Terry Mundy May 19, 2010

At first I thought the Garden City Group was a hoax too, but patience won. I also received a check from WebMarketing Claims Administration c/o The Garden City Group, Inc. I'm including a scan of the check, of course with identifying information blanked out.

• Pc
    PCBey Jan 22, 2012

When this third party Garden city Group sends your this letter and you agree and sign it, you can no longer sue webloyalty and friends for the fraud they are engaged in. You think they dont know what they are doing?

• Se