Free TravelFraud

F

I received a "Birthday Gift"; a three day/two night getaway that could be used at any Ritz Carlton Hotel/Resort in the Continental USA, as an added gift, I would receive $50.00 towards dinner for two. As a bonus: for responding within 72 hours, I would also receive two complimentary round trip airfares to anywhere in the Continental US.

Jet Blue*

*This promotion is not sponsored by or affiliated with Ritz Carlton or Jet Blue Airlines but they are major suppliers.

This came with a travel itinerary with specifics.

Being the "skeptic" that I am; I checked the Yellow pages and Better Business Bureau for any information on "VIP Travel Reservations, INC." and "Sunshine Promotions (which was supposed to be the sponsor); whose exact address is supposed to be "Sunshine Promotions 901 31st Street NW Washington, D.C. 20007" and found this to be a scam/fraud!

I hope my comments/complaint will stop others who receive this type of mail will check it out. They can check with their local Post Office or Police if they do not have access to the Internet.

• Ss
    ss Oct 07, 2008

Re: "Sunshine Promotions 901 31st Street NW Washington, D.C. 20007" There is no such address in Washington DC. The numbering for 31st Street NW begins with the 1000 block.

• Na
    Nasha Oct 11, 2008

Not true, I have been to one of their presentations and I had the same gifts... As long as you follow the instructions on the certificates you get, you are able to use them. I stayed in Geogretown Ritz, right by Sunshine Promotions office.

• Do
    dorr Oct 11, 2008

In the spirt of full disclosure I work for Sunshine promotions. The comment made by "Frances" is both false and "misleading". She was contacted by a marketing company contracted by Sunshine Promotions, they made her an offer to come in for a sales presentation. The offer would have given her the opportunity to travel with two airline tickets and two nights stay in either a Ritz Carlton or Marriot hotel. All she would have had to "pay" was the taxes. This is a legitimate and perfectly legal method of Incentive Marketing. The method is approved and regulated by the Federal Trade Comm. "Frances " did not come in for the sales presentaion, she never accpted the opportunity and therefore never saw what she was to receive. She did not contact Sunshine promotions, no one in our office has ever meet or spoken with "Frances" nor were we given the opportunity to expalin to her what she would receive or how it would work . Further to add injury to insult; she writes that she had looked up the address of our office in Washington DC, and to quote her"found this to be a scam/fraud". Funny thing she includes our address in the top of her "post" We are in the phone book, 411 information, and on file with the District goverment.

We respect that "Frances " is a "skeptic" and find no fault with her if her choice was not to attent the presentation. BUT, to decide without any attempt to secure "facts" before writing her post she has cast FALSE information about a honest and very well respected company. Further if she, in fact, checked the local Better Business Bureau there is no way possible she could have concluded that we are a "scam/fraud" as no such information is posted on any BBB web site anywhere. We invite anyone who has any questions about our business or our methods to please email your questions to [protected]@verizon.net. We look forward to answering any and all questions, Thank You and happy holidays!

• Ha
    Harry Rednapp Oct 27, 2008

This company wastes peoples time, they don’t give accurate directions to their office (apparently it the fault of their marketing agency they use and not their fault), so when you arrive 20 mins late (because you cannot find the office) they rush you to complete the forms – repeatedly rush you and make it seem like they are doing you a favor. – WHEN in fact it was they who contacted you to come to their sales pitch. Staff are arrogant and rude, and I have seen more manners is a pile of dog crap. Don’t bother wasting your time with this program.

Marquitia Fell Nov 17, 2008

I was initially contacted by Sunshine Promotions the week on 11/7. I was left a voice mail messages that I had won a Lincoln Navigator or #45, 000.00. After the company found out that I was single (not living with someone else either) I was told that a couple can come and claim my prize. This prize was offered of the Lincoln Navigator down to a trip for 2 for 3 days/two nights. I was given the address of 901 31st Street N.W.

• To
    Tod Hull Nov 21, 2008

This is a scam. They keep moving around, not unlike any number of scammers and fly-by-night "businesses". Now the address given by Sunshine Promotions is 3050 K Street NW, which puts their business "office" squarely on the Whitehurst Freeway. Plus, the format of the letter I received says it is from the "Division of Revenue, Department of Funding", along with "Bailout" and "Form 2008". No legitimate company would stoop to such tactics to intimidate people into opening the letter. I called the number given twice, to claim my free gift (nothing is mentioned about a promotion in the body of the letter, and was hung up on both times. Even if this company is doing business legally (which I doubt), I would highly advise not to have anything to do with them.

• Li
    Linda Nov 21, 2008

I was contacted by Lori at Sunshine Promotions today. She told me that I have definitley won 1 of 4 prizes, a Lincoln Navigatior, $2500.00 in cash, a 3 day 2 night vacation or at the very least a 32 inch flat screen TV. She said that I would have to show up at thier offices at 901 31st and K Street NW tomorrow and have a valid drivers license and a check book or credit card. I dont think so!!!

Jamez Appel Nov 24, 2008

Yep these folks contacted me tonight with an email address on file that was over 10 years old. I didn't buy into the mess either.

Scam, Scam, Scam.

• Au
    Audrey Nov 26, 2008

I received a voicemail today 11/26 to please call [protected] about having received 1 of 4 prizes. I returned the call (because the kids are always putting their names in raffles) and the prizes were a Lincoln Navigator, $2500.00 in cash, a vacation to Pto Vallarta or a 32 inch TV w/remote. My husband and I would have to come into their D.C. office on Friday or Sunday to claim our prize after listening to a 30 min. presentation. The address given was 901 31st St. NW, Washington, D.C.We needed to bring 2 ids - a valid drivers license and/or passport or check book or credit card. We have NO idea how they got in touch with us, but we are glad we checked this website. My opinion...BEWARE!

• Fr
    Fred Dec 01, 2008

This operation defines the word SHADY! The individual who answered the phone announced the name of the company and then put me on hold to speak with somebody. The SAME guy then came back on the phone as if I had been transfered to another department. When he went to "verify" my information, he just put the phone down on the table and it sounded like he was looking through a pile of paper. When I asked to be removed from their calling list, he told me not to fill out anymore entry forms and waster THEIR time. I didn't fill anything out in the first place!

James Dec 02, 2008

I, too, received a message on my home phone from "Metro Communications."

I called the number and told me I had won one of four prizes, including (you guessed it) a Lincoln Navigator. Phone rep was nice enough, but could tell I was getting a bit cagey.

I very vaguely remember filling out an online entry form for a car, so, I felt it was possible. But when I asked who they represented (perhaps the name of the company I entered with might jog my memory) the said 'Sunshine Promotions." She told me they were located at K & 31st Street. That puts then under the Whitehurst Freeway, near the cinema.

Struck me as very odd and I told my rep that this was "outside my comfort zone."

Then I did a Google search. I feel like I dodged some kind of bullet!

I'll also be getting in touch with the SEC.

Bottom line: SHADY. Participate at your own risk!

• Dp
    D Porter Dec 02, 2008

They are a Gosh Darn Scam ( Gotta keep it clean). I just went to, 3100 K Street N.W. Washington, D.C. Warning, Warning, Warning, if you get anything from them, use your insticts. If it sounds to good to be true, then it is. I only say this, as my wife FORCED me on this one, and I went for a ride. About 2-1/2 hours, and we were 20 minutes late. Horrible directions, no close parking, walk a half mile. Sunshine response, oh well we can reschedule another time for you. I live right outside D.C. & could have been there in 30 minutes, (left home one hour before) dumb me I followed ther BS directions. I don't think so, I did not see presentation, but I know in my instincts, this is some kind of High Pressure sales pitch after some 1 hour presentation. I would really love to thow a rock right thru the front door.This is a B.S. CompanyNeed I say more.

• Ls
    Lsnyder Jan 05, 2009

My husband and I are going next Saturday - any more comments. I believe the true address is: 3050 K St. Suite 901.

• Vj
    vjsother Jan 13, 2009

I don't see where they have actually DONE anything to call them a scam. They may well be but this isn't any kind of real indictment of them because people can't find the office, which I too had a hard time finding. This place sells travel and that is what I would expect them to do. They are closers, so if you lack sales resistance don't go. So far all I hear is speculation about what they might do. I would like some REAL experience stories so I can make some educated decision about them. Please, if you can speak from your own experience about problems, let me know. Thank you.

• Gm
    gmoney Jan 13, 2009

Sounds like a scam! I returned a voice-mail and was told that I "definitely won 1 of 4 prizes, a Lincoln Navigator, $2500.00 in cash, a 3 day 2 night vacation or at the very least a 32 inch flat screen TV. He said that I would have to show up at their offices at 901 31st and K Street NW tomorrow and have a valid drivers license and a credit card. As soon as he said that "Sunshine Promotions" was a discount travel company, I knew something was fishy...

Oh yeah, I had to be part of a "co-habitating couple" and had to show up with my significant other. Complete [censored]!

• To
    Tom Jan 22, 2009

I went to the sales pitch on 1/17/09. I didn't mind the pitch because that's what they do. The price dropped from 9k to 3k when I said that I wasn't interested. The issue is, the free trips, are not free. Sunshine Promotions buys vouchers from another company who makes you jump through hoops and, you have to send in $100 "refundable" AFTER your trip. There is nothing stopping this second company CERTS incorporated from keeping your money and saying that the dates you chose are "unavailibile" and your 365 term has expired.

I'm going to continue my investigation without giving my money.

• Cr
    C. Robertson Jan 24, 2009

My husband and I read your comments but decided to attend to see what it was all about - We had a wonderful time - these people were professional and very nice. All they did was present themselves to us and explain what they do - no pressure, no big deal. I really don't know what the fuss is all about! DON'T MISS THIS ONE ! WE MADE OUT LIKE BANDITS!!!

• Sc
    schmitty915 Feb 23, 2009

This is a question for C. Robertson - What exactly did you win?

• Bo
    Bob Mar 03, 2009

I just went to 901 31st to the pitch and it wasn't bad at all. They went from 9k to 5600.
    I thought it was a pretty good deal but couldn't do it right now. I'd like to know about this 3k deal cuz I'd jump on it.

The thing is that if they had come down a little lower, I'd have bought it.

• Sc
    scam spotter Mar 12, 2009

Looks like a scam, smells like a scam...BTW C Robertson you slightly overdid it LOL very believable to some perhaps

Sam Mar 12, 2009

My wife and I went the other night. We were very impressed and actually bought the product. So did three other couples in the room. Sales staff were friendly and courteous.

Marie Mar 28, 2009

IT IS A SCAM! Some Indian person on the phone and he insisted that I filled out some entry form, which I DID NOT esp. in the places he said their entry forms were. I don't go to WALMART and all the places he mentioned. First off that is a RED flag to me when the first thing that comes out of their mouth is a lie!!! They put me through this whole SPEEL and then told me, "OH this is only good for couples" I told him I am divorced and he said "oh just bring any male in with you" Oh, and LIE?? I don't think so. Then I played along with them and said "what if my partner is NOT a man"...at which he said "this is only good for couples"...at which I said, " oh I see so if my partner is female we are not considered a couple"..(not that I have a partner-) he just kept going around in circles. Finally I said Have a nice night and HUNG up on him. Esp. I got aggravated after I told him I JUST walked in the door and was having a blood sugar crash and he couldn't give 2 craps about me!!! scummy people...

• Na
    nana Mar 30, 2009

We went on march 14 the things they tell you sound very good. We checked with the BBB and they are given a F rating. I wish we never would have gone

• 00
    007 Apr 02, 2009

I Just got off the phone with this people... SOUNDS LIKE A SCAM TO ME... Be careful.
    My friends visited and they referred me. The next thing I know a non-English speaking girl called me with a non-USA number (looks like a internet phone number - [protected] and [protected]) trying to get me to go to a 19 minute presentation... after several minutes of trying to understand her the annoying supervisor takes over giving me a list of lies I have to provide to get the gift.
    You must lie that you are married, your age is above 28, and you make above 60, 000 dollars... You must bring form of identification with your date of birth and bring a major credit card.
    Address in DC is 901 31st NW Washington DC 20007 (31st N.W. in Washington D.C ? hmmmmmm)

Any how you will get a call back with a confirmation code and you can't be late, come with friends or bring a child.
    Smells like stinky fish people...Sunshine Promotions Inc .. FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD ... SCAM.. AVOID ANYBODY THAT HAVE BEEN CONTACTED.

Joe Apr 13, 2009

Thank you everyone for helping clarify the situation. My wife actually called them once before regarding a different scam. They also ripped off friends of ours who went to Florida to go on a cruise was never made available to them once they got there. Joe

• Je
    JessRO Apr 15, 2009

This is where you all should start:

The Council of Better Business Bureaus
    4200 Wilson Blvd, Suite 800
    Arlington, VA [protected]

FBI Internet Fraud

Spread the work and stopped Scamming cons.

• Co
    Concerned Apr 18, 2009

we are suppose to attend a presentation tomorrow. Has anyone actually won the Navigator?

• Bo
    bob May 20, 2009

total scammers, cracked me up listening to them. I won 1 of 4 fabulous prizes! Got their number and address and yahoo'd it while I was on the phone. When I questioned that address was no good, the guy just kept talking... got my laugh for 15 minutes. I hung up on them the day before and they still called back!

• Vk
    vknik Jun 16, 2009

I just received a call from them as well saying they guarantee to give me one of 4 things - the 3 day/2 night trip, navigator, $2500 in cash, or a 32" TV. I'm sure they will try to sell something and give -pressure. My question is, has anyone had a bad experiences with the prize that they receive (and do they actually get the gift)? And has anyone won anything besides the trip?

John Wallace Jul 07, 2009

These grifters ripped us off for more than $5000. Why can't we go after them??

John Wallace Jul 07, 2009

It is a total scam. We paid more than $5K. None of the so-called freebies were actionable, after all of the restrictions kicked in. The main offerings are no better than you can get through dilligent on-line searching.

• Kk
    KKerr Jul 13, 2009

TOTAL, TOTAL SCAM!!! BIG TIME. I am so frustrated I cannot begin to tell you. I will be reporting this and taking action if they do not live up to their word. I was promised the following, a car, (or cash) paid parking, a blackberry, two $100 visa gift cards, and one dinner gift certificate - with NO money required to receive the prizes. I received a post card with instructions for "validating" for a trip, after paying a per person fee. I realize the marketing company is responsible for some of this, and I have spoken with "Debbie" several times to no avail. Supposedly the owner, Hilary Kabowski will be calling me to resolve the issue, however, I’m not holding my breath and plan to take the necessary "next steps" to end this.

• Jl
    jlim88 Jul 20, 2009

Careful when they offer CERT, inc travel vouchers you will never get anything out of it.
    Certs, Inc. — Save yourself the trouble!

• Da
    DalyLuke Jul 23, 2009

I grabbed this one because it said VIP Travel, but I'm not sure what all of yall had. I traveled on a 2 night/ 3 day and 7 day car rental certificates throught VIP travel in Port Orange, FL that I received from going to a Travel Presentation in Park City, UT... I just went to Pagosa Springs on them and had a wonderful time... I didn't have the issues most of you seemed to have had, so I'm deff. not sure why VIP Travel Reservations was listed as part of this, but I'd like to thank them!

• Ge
    getyourmoneyback Oct 07, 2009

If you have fallen victim to this scam or any other travel club scams, I will show you exactly how to get your money back. Email : [protected]@rocketmail.com

• Bu
    bumbargerj Oct 29, 2009

I went through one of these presentations, and it wasn't all that bad, I didn't buy into it though. I did however use the certificate they gave me to VIP Travel, which made it all worth it... it was for 2 airline tickets. Not sure about the travel club cause I didn't give 'em a chance, but VIP Travel was great!

• La
    Laurensays Nov 14, 2009

I had no issues with it. The person who pitched the synopsis of everything was fairly straightforward. This girl name Kelly gave me a call, told me I was a finalist for this company's promotion and that I was indeed eligible for either winning a lincoln navigator, cashiers check for 2500 bucks, a 3/2 night vacation to either cancun/las vegas/ft. lauderdale/los angeles/etc, or a television via scratch off so long as me and the better half listen to the presentation. lmao these people didn't lie, everything that was told to me happened. Sure the presentation was drawn out, but it didn't hit past the 90 min. mark as promised. We were close to buying but they gave us a lifeline to use their services down the road which was great. We plan on using the vacation voucher.

I'll just say this...People need to use common sense, obviously the odds of winning the car are slim to ###... but a vacation for dirt cheap (because obviously you have to pay taxes/fees when you "win" anything... including the car had that of been the case) is nothing. So our 90 minutes was well spent, only down side was there was a couple who brought a child... and the kid was entirely disruptive lol (poor kid). So really I think this company is on the up and up, I think the problems that seemed to be stemmed from people who had a poor experience was because whoever called you up probably lied about how things really went down... that's the callers fault, lmao not the company. The company should be reprimanding people who are misleading potential. I think these people use call centers usually, not people directly WITH the company... so it's up in the air with how people get contacted I'm sure. I hope my husband and I enjoy our vacation, were going to do the 3/2 night cancun vacation.

• Gy
    gyllang Nov 18, 2009

I totally agree with you lauren (above)! I got the ritz certificate (no air line tickets ;( for me) that came with a $50 dinner certificate. The presentation wasn't bad, they made alot of really good points, just doesn't quite fit into our budget right now. I was also very happy with my experience from VIP travel! I've been in the service industry for over 20 years and these people get a bad rap cause I'm sure they can't please everyone. But they have a hard job, and seem to me are very good at what they do! I hope to use them again in the near future, economy permitting!

• Er
    erin o Nov 24, 2009

Thank you to all who have taken the time to post comments on Sunshine Promotions. I'm glad we won't be wasting time on Thanksgiving weekend to do this.

I received a call this evening with the same message: "You have absolutely won one of the following four prizes...(the same four listed by so many)." The guy was nice and they've polished their pitch. He explained that there "is no catch, nothing to buy, no timeshare. We are not a telemarketing company. We are just calling to inform you that you have definitely won one of these prizes. At a minimum, you have won the TV." He added, "You entered a sweepstakes in the last year to 18 months at (he listed about half a dozen possible general locations, not specific stores). Do you have the entry stub?" I said "No, because I don't know anything about this or remember entering anything." He said, "In that case, your entry number is (and gave it to me)." Interesting.

After getting the address in D.C. (same one as everyone else), he wanted a commitment to attend the presentation. I said, "Ah ha, I knew there was a catch." He said, "What do you mean? All you have to do is listen to a 90 minute presentation and then they'll give you a scratch off and see what prize you've won." I told him I couldn't commit to something like this on Thanksgiving weekend and he was shocked that I wouldn't go to get a "sure thing" (one of the prizes)." He did stay very polite throughout though and asked me to consider it and call him tomorrow to let him know one way or the other.

I do wish I knew if ANYONE won anything other than the trip. We just aren't motivated by travel right now (we have little ones). It sounds like even if everything goes as they say, you aren't getting any of the other prizes. So, I thought about going and seeing what it was about, just on the chance we may win one of the other prizes, but if we get a trip that may or may not go well it's just not enough reward for us.

Long story short, I contemplated and waited to see what my better half thought. I was initially pushing him to take a chance on this, because, hey, who doesn't want (at least) a 32" flat screen TV? But we've already spent too much time talking about it. And, thankfully, we found this site. There is enough here to shy us away from this.

To those who go for it, good luck. Again, thanks to all who warned us and saved us the time not to go.

christicoussa Dec 23, 2009

Happy Holidays! Your whining didn't stop me, and I'm glad! I had a certificate with VIP, but my presentation was with a company up here. I had the certificate for 2 airline tickets, which I used to go to Salt Lake City at the beginning of the month, and I got a 7 day car rental which I used last month in Florida. The people at VIP were very helpful and efficient and I will be using them again in the future. Both of my certificates did say that they had to be sent certified mail though, which I did with my deposits, and then just had to send in the dates I wanted, it worked great for me.